Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

NikkolasKing posted:

And it's only revealed they are the survivors of Nibelheim in an optional letter.

These are Cloud's and Tifa's friends and neighbors presumably given what a small town Nibelehim was and yet there isn't really a big deal made out of this.

It really irritated me growing up that you can't do more in the fake Nibelheim than impotently tell the imposters that they are liars.

weren't they actually paid actors hired by Shinra? or am i thinking of a different letter? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
If you mess up on the lasers too many times, Jessie eventually starts poo poo-talking Cloud. :allears:

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Booky posted:

weren't they actually paid actors hired by Shinra? or am i thinking of a different letter? :psyduck:

Yeah, the people in present day Nibelheim are paid actors, which is presumably why no amount of "but I lived here" will get them to admit anything.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Framboise posted:

i wonder if i will still be able to make cloud lie about finding orthopedic underwear in tifa's dresser

guess we'll know in a couple years

This was a mistranslation of an idiom meaning to try to look mature. So they're adult, but not like sexy. Granny panties.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

This was a mistranslation of an idiom meaning to try to look mature. So they're adult, but not like sexy. Granny panties.

Really? I had no idea.

When I first played the game I thought it was a bra he found and it was a joke about her needing specialty bras because her tits are huge. But then I found an image of the item and it was panties and I was like "what the hell is the meaning behind orthopedic panties?"

Knowing it was a mistranslation makes more sense.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Waffleman_ posted:

I know. It's just that orthopedic underwear just sounds funnier to me and part of me hopes they keep that mistranslation in.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
One thing that bothered me a bit with my short time with the demo is that it seems a bit hard to keep track of the ATB bar.

You sorta forget it exists and it blends into the UI

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Yeah there's a blue burst of light on your character when you fill one but it's not big or pronounced enough to really notice in the heat of combat

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

cock hero flux posted:

she willingly shacked up with hojo in the original, too. she had sex with hojo, on purpose, and then let him inject jenova juice into the resulting fetus to see what would happen. she felt bad about it afterward, but not bad enough to actually do anything so she kind of just went and hung out in a cave for 30 years.

Okay, good point. I guess it's because she had to little to do in FF7 that you can fill in the holes, so I thought she was more of a tragic figure. Dirge shoved Lucrecia's actions front and center to the plot, so seeing it all laid out makes her look way worse than in FF7.

:allears:

Terper posted:

Yeah there's a blue burst of light on your character when you fill one but it's not big or pronounced enough to really notice in the heat of combat

It'd be nice if they added an option to set that burst of light to a different color so you can see it better.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Lucrecia apparently did try to commit suicide but the Jenova cells wouldn't let her die.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
The...Jenova mitochondria-?!

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt

Gologle posted:

The...Jenova mitochondria-?!

https://twitter.com/ign/status/1235589727979556864?s=21

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Please just give me vagrant story, please.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I feel like we had this discussion just a few days ago but give me my Xenogears remake.

But now I think on it...they'd make it an ARPG wouldn't they. Ugh.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

NikkolasKing posted:

I feel like we had this discussion just a few days ago but give me my Xenogears remake.

Yeah but mecha :allears:

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

NikkolasKing posted:

Do they still cut to the storyteller flash forwards halfway though the plot?

Joking aside, I'd love to see remastered Parasite Eve or Legend of Dragoon

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

NikkolasKing posted:

It already had jumping puzzles, as long as there were combos I think it'd be fine.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Make it a mini game in Gold Saucer

Elentor posted:

Also this

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

They'd need to get the licence back. Also to nuke 3rd Birthdya into oblivion.

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy
From what I can gather, there seems to be contradictory lore from the different games? Like how exactly does Zack die, was he gunned down or was it a missile from a chopper?

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
He was gunned down. This is also shown in the Crisis Core ending.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
He simultaneously dies fighting an entire army, and also gets shot in the head by like 3 Shinra grunts. Both can be true if you factor in the hallucinogenic effects of Jenova cells.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Gologle posted:

He simultaneously dies fighting an entire army, and also gets shot in the head by like 3 Shinra grunts. Both can be true if you factor in the hallucinogenic effects of Jenova cells.

I like the idea that Zack is so delusional that he thinks he's going down as a goddamn hero

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That would be pretty drat great.

3 grunts are shooting him down and he's fantasizing he's killing an entire army.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Sneak Lemming posted:

From what I can gather, there seems to be contradictory lore from the different games? Like how exactly does Zack die, was he gunned down or was it a missile from a chopper?

CC plays it up as a massive assault force with multiple attack helicopters and hundreds of ground troops and Zack is just plowing through and wearing down with his limit break slot machine thing slowly breaking so when it's down to just the last 3 grunts and Zack is hanging his last thread he almost rolls a triple Aeris for the full heal effect and then it breaks and he dies.

Then Cloud whose been catatonic in a motorcycle sidecar like a couple hundred feet away staggers over and goes mental.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I mean, in Crisis Core, as he's dying he literally sees Angeal flying down from the heavens to scoop him up in his big bara arms. The evidence is already there.

EDIT:

Caidin posted:

Then Cloud whose been catatonic in a motorcycle sidecar like a couple hundred feet away staggers over and goes mental.

And then this plays: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_ipWtjyuIM

Gologle fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Mar 6, 2020

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I mean no matter what "Zack died to three Shinra grunts alone" is clearly not what happened considering the dude was a SOLDIER 1st class.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Elentor posted:

It's absolutely criminal that arguably the PS1's finest game is left all alone by itself, but that's probably not a bad thing.
I don't think Square could match the atmosphere, writing or general ambiance of that game again. That's not to diss on Square who are obviously doing a fantastic job with FFVII remake - it's just REALLY hard to recreate the vibes VS gave off

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I mean the Three Grunts angle is only seen from Cloud having a flashback, the Ridiculous Action Hero angle is seen from Zack's perspective. Zack might also be an unreliable narrator, but probably not to the degree of Cloud

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I mean considering how long they're likely to be at this I'm not gonna get hyped for any other Square remakes.

Now Capcom remaking Dino Crisis or Onimusha on the new RE engine may actually happen in the next few years.

MonsieurChoc posted:

They'd need to get the licence back. Also to nuke 3rd Birthdya into oblivion.

Make Parasite Eve 3 a fmv game which is just video footage of the people responsible for Third Birthday being kicked in the stomach.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Real question is whatever happened those 3 grunts, like either way it plays out that is a weird loving debrief.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The three grunts angle was caused by PSX limitations, that was the easiest way to make the cutscene.

The CC ending was caused by overshooting the fantasy power creep to the extreme.

Both are canon in their own weird, stylistic way. The point ultimately is, Zack died a hero saving Cloud, carrying him across two continents, only to die, exhausted, against unfair odds.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

ImpAtom posted:

I mean no matter what "Zack died to three Shinra grunts alone" is clearly not what happened considering the dude was a SOLDIER 1st class.

Was it just me or were the grunts in the demo too blasé talking about Cloud as a SOLDIER?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Elentor posted:

The three grunts angle was caused by PSX limitations, that was the easiest way to make the cutscene.

The CC ending was caused by overshooting the fantasy power creep to the extreme.

Both are canon in their own weird, stylistic way. The point ultimately is, Zack died a hero saving Cloud, carrying him across two continents, only to die, exhausted, against unfair odds.

And then Cloud promptly forgot about him.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ItBreathes posted:

Was it just me or were the grunts in the demo too blasé talking about Cloud as a SOLDIER?

I think by the time of FF7 the Jedi Order is basically extinct. SOLDIERs were some unfathomably powerful force that did literally fantastical work, they were an army of Captain Americas. The war is over, Sephiroth went crazy and MIA, their reputation was probably tarnished outside of the inner circle.

Cloud tries to convey to others just how powerful Sephiroth is, because he doesn't think the reputation does it justice. In all likelihood the new grunts have no idea what SOLDIERS were capable of.

The first thing we see Sephiroth killing on-screen is a mythological creature, we had seen weird FF designs but nothing like a full-fledged Dragon.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Consider, we'll likely just... get to play Zack's last stand.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Werent people in the original release (other than avalanche) making GBS threads their pants over having to deal with him though? It's been a long time so I may be misremembering.

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt
If they remake vagrant story, they need to find a way to do it and keep the same pixel art aesthetic

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
We literally already got to play Zack's last stand, it's Crisis Core. In fact the name works on multiple levels, the core of the crisis with Sephiroth, and also the core of Cloud's identity crisis.

EDIT: I want to see the full LOVELESS play that Genesis wouldn't stop going on about in FF7R. It can be a date with Tifa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

One thing I want to learn about is what the deal with Sephiroth is because all I have is my broken memories and the one time I saw advent children when it released.

I've been told he's actually a Nice Guy and you're fighting a imposter most of the game and a alien is controlling him or something to 'no he's just a rear end in a top hat' and I genuinely. Genuinely do not know what his deal is other than he has a big sword and white hair and a really silly ultimate move and is also really really strong in universe.

Like I don't even mind if someone tells me about it now, I'm just lost as to what that guy is. A Zombie? A Alien? A Dude?