Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Doom Mathematic posted:

Why couldn't you receive SMS?

if you’re canadian that’s a fast track to a monster bill. it’s pretty much expected that if you bring your phone at all you leave it in airplane mode the entire time you’re away, even if it’s just to the states

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Canadian telcos think VLR stands for Very Large Receivables

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Progressive JPEG posted:

I’ve been using bitwarden for several months and it’s been fine. I had been using 1pass but was no longer comfortable with using browser extensions for password management and that continues to be the only option they have for Linux, whereas bitwarden works on everything I need it to

I just have a free hosted account. In the move off of 1pass I had also decided to remove 2fa codes from my password manager since it feels like that sorta defeats the purpose of 2fa. I’ve been mulling over going with the self hosted route but don’t really have any reason to

the catch with bitwarden afaict is that the desktop apps are written in electron, so I expect there’ll be some vulns there someday. but I figure it’s still less risky than a browser addon and I only actually open it sparingly anyway

cool thanks, I’ve been looking for a free alt to 1Password that I can recommend that isn’t keep rear end, I’ll give it a shot

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

infernal machines posted:

isn't international sms a complete clusterfuck?

I wasn't roaming, and even if I was

Doom Mathematic posted:

Why couldn't you receive SMS?

It's quite likely that whichever SMS gateway the bank uses wouldn't deliver it

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/justinschuh/status/1235737028123185152?s=20

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)

univbee posted:

lol 2 is this guy's month-long saga where he had everything except the account password and the knowledge of when his account was created (incl. access to his phone and stuff like that)
Yeah this happened to me with a gmail account that I've had since it was by invitation. (I wrote down the password and lost it when I moved like a year ago lmao.) I had my 2fa, codes, recovery account, confirmation from my android device ... get this, I even had the exact date I created the account since I was still logged in on my phone. Still poo poo out of luck.

I'm still logged into that account on the same phone, for over a year now. Just can't change the password.

Midjack posted:

this is the hellscape of “continuous authentication” where when you deviate even the tiniest bit from what they think you’re doing all the time you’re instantly locked out of everything forever. good luck, citizen.
Had this problem about half a dozen times with an ally brokerage account, because I had my time set to utc. I closed the account after the sixth time.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

I mean who would ever trust a Chinese company?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

dougdrums posted:

Yeah this happened to me with a gmail account that I've had since it was by invitation. (I wrote down the password and lost it when I moved like a year ago lmao.) I had my 2fa, codes, recovery account, confirmation from my android device ... get this, I even had the exact date I created the account since I was still logged in on my phone. Still poo poo out of luck.

I'm still logged into that account on the same phone, for over a year now. Just can't change the password.

wow, so straight up if you lose any authentication factor you can just be hosed. how in the gently caress this isn't a bigger deal and more well-known i have no idea

mystes
May 31, 2006

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

I mean who would ever trust a company?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

univbee posted:

wow, so straight up if you lose any authentication factor you can just be hosed. how in the gently caress this isn't a bigger deal and more well-known i have no idea

they will give someone access if you send them the account owners death certificate, right?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

they will give someone access if you send them the account owners death certificate, right?

sure, they haven't found a way to monetize dead people data yet so it's useless to them

the good news is 44 Canadian cents later a skype call to hong kong actually managed to sort out the account i was needing to regain access to so i'm all set and googs can gently caress itself now

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

my company is good but the chinese are especially untrustworthy

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Twerk from Home posted:

quote:

We recognize that many people pass away without leaving clear instructions about how to manage their online accounts. We can work with immediate family members and representatives to close the account of a deceased person where appropriate. In certain circumstances we may provide content from a deceased user's account. In all of these cases, our primary responsibility is to keep people's information secure, safe, and private. We cannot provide passwords or other login details. Any decision to satisfy a request about a deceased user will be made only after a careful review.

I have Google Inactive Account Manager set to release my data after 3 months of no activity to my family members

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Buff Hardback posted:

I have Google Inactive Account Manager set to release my data after 3 months of no activity to my family members

what if that dies before you do

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Buff Hardback posted:

i like that it emails me every 6 months or so to remind me that 3 months after i die my wife will get to see my entire gmail history and laugh at it

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/josephfcox/status/1235317536729829376

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
that’s a wild rear end looking dude

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

Goddamn, today in “tech execs with threatening auras”

It’s like the duck dynasty guys expanded into social networking

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

I mean who would ever trust a Chinese company?

I guess you could argue that lawful intercept features in telecom equipment is a legit backdoor but is not the same as a crypto hole. Then again ask the Greek government how they feel about lawful intercept lol https://www.theregister.co.uk/Print/2007/07/11/greek_mobile_wiretap_latest/

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

that motherfucker looks like gritty

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

that’s a wild rear end looking dude

I misread the tweet at first and thought it said Idaho, purely based on that dudes pic

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

ewiley posted:

Goddamn, today in “tech execs with threatening auras”

It’s like the duck dynasty guys expanded into social networking

I legit thought it was the author who wrote the vice article

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Probably one of those asshats that thinks his firearms collection will help him overthrow the government that he is now actively supporting with his product.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

if I wanted to overthrow a government, I might well consider starting by getting their security and intelligence functions to depend on something I can subvert or disable

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

if I wanted to overthrow a government, I might well consider starting by getting their security and intelligence functions to depend on something I can subvert or disable

WOPR? oh no my bad they call that JEDI now

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Subjunctive posted:

Why overthrow a government when you can just have it arrest your opponents with Machine Learning?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

its costuming in the same way zucks hoodies were. duck dynasty rear end looking motherfuckers are ‘one of us’; some zz top cosplay clown cant be responsible for the orwellian corporate number of the beast surveillance state that normally sets the black helicopters crowd off.

like the photo of the duck dynasty guys clean shaven in polos on a golf course, but for the panopticon instead of selling bad wine and realtree

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
do the cop cars signal a Banjo Emergency with "BANJO ALERT"

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
did i just use "Banjo Emergency" unironically

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

klosterdev posted:

did i just use "Banjo Emergency" unironically

New band name spotted

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

this is kazooie erasure

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boc5JfvtB28

Cuddly Tumblemumps
Aug 23, 2013

Postmodernity means the exhilarating freedom to pursue anything, yet mind-boggling uncertainty as to what is worth pursuing and in the name of what one should pursue it.

PCjr sidecar posted:

its costuming in the same way zucks hoodies were. duck dynasty rear end looking motherfuckers are ‘one of us’; some zz top cosplay clown cant be responsible for the orwellian corporate number of the beast surveillance state that normally sets the black helicopters crowd off.

like the photo of the duck dynasty guys clean shaven in polos on a golf course, but for the panopticon instead of selling bad wine and realtree

why be so cynical about a US regional culture full of militias that are just super pro-freedom and anti-government??

rob-bob wayne dylan III unfolding a surveillance state is just his crew bringing smalltown values to the global stage.

if you got something to hide best do that business outside of county limits, son :clint:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

PCjr sidecar posted:

the zz top guys are actually really cool though, leave them outta this

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
it's funnier cuz the beard and camo blazers came a few years after starting the company

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

oh i miss space ghost so much.. so many memories

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
From the Huawei tweet linked doc
(https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/790270/HCSEC_OversightBoardReport-2019.pdf)

quote:

Analysis of relevant source code worryingly identified a number pre-processor directives of theform “#define SAFE_LIBRARY_memcpy(dest, destMax, src, count) memcpy(dest, src, count)”, which redefine a safe function to an unsafe one, effectively removing any benefit of the work done to remove the unsafe functionsin the source code. There are also directives which force unsafe use of potentially safe functions, for example of the form “#define ANOTHER_MEMCPY(dest,src,size) memcpy_s((dest),(size),(src),(size))”

:eng101: use safe memcpy

:smugdroid: gently caress you, dad!

:eng99:

quote:

These findings areabout basic engineering competence and cyber security hygienethat give rise to vulnerabilities that are capable of being exploited by a range of actors. NCSC doesnot believe that the defects identified are a result of Chinese state interference.

i.e Hanlon's razor

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

fins posted:

Heinlein's razor
Hanlon stole that from Heinlein, as it's just reworded based on something he read in Logic of Empire some 40 years earlier. :colbert:

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Lutha Mahtin posted:

the zz top guys are actually really cool though, leave them outta this

i met them once while eating at a cheap tex mex place and their giant beards were extremely legitimate

tbf i haven't thought about their music in ages tho :shrug:

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

lol imaginary etymology to support an esr jargon file incorrection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bulgakov posted:

i met them once while eating at a cheap tex mex place and their giant beards were extremely legitimate

tbf i haven't thought about their music in ages tho :shrug:

they’re still touring