Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Rain Brain posted:

I, Claudius is my favorite book and I adore the series. The acting is amazing and to this day I still don't know how they so completely believably transformed Derek Jacobi from an adolescent to an old man - I remember being unable to tell which direction the transformation was occurring watching this when I was a kid. Was he an older actor made to look young? Was he younger made to look old? He's plausibly 20 but equally plausibly 60.

If you like the series you should check out Suetonius' Lives of the Caesars, which is the source a lot of Robert Graves' narrative (he translated it). It is basically a Kitty Kelly style biography of the first 12 emperors of Rome and it is incredibly fun to read a collection of scandalous gossip written fairly shortly after the events in question (allegedly) took place (~120 AD).

The series is great, and on the literary side, there’s also the Annals, in which Tacitus might suggest a slight editorial perspective from time to time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Meatgrinder posted:

Watched I am not okay with this, another graphic novel finding its way unto the screen about an awkward teen girl who discovers she has superpowers. The comparison to Impulse is obvious, but it does its own thing well enough. It's got a solid cast, good acting, good direction and a pretty straight forward story. The only thing is, it's a really short season of really short episodes. They almost feel like the synopsis of what the actual episode would have been like. This is not necessarily a bad thing, the storytelling works well with the brevity, but after the whole season all I am left with is the feeling that I've seen the setup to something.
I liked it quite a lot, and appreciated that I wasn't being asked to sacrifice a tremendous amount of time to be told a - as you say - fairly straightforward story.

e: where are you all finding I, Claudius? I would not mind seeing that again, it's been thirty years.

Albinator fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Mar 4, 2020

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
ya know after the 6th episode (of the 3rd season) of the good place I'm enjoying it a lot more again. It's picked up after kind of a slow start to the season of wheel spinning. looking forward to seeing where it goes now.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

STAC Goat posted:

I think its still on IMDBTV free. And the NBC app, I think free. And Hulu and Starz not free.

Thanks, will check that out!

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

phosdex posted:

I watched the first season of The Comeback. I hadn't heard of it before but saw a post about it that intrigued me. It's Lisa kudrow in a fake documentary as an actress that has been cast on a comedy but she has to do a reality show about that as well. The part that interested me is that they did 1 season in 2005, then 9 years later there is a second season.

It's not great, but not terrible. I've never really watched much of kudrow but I think she does a pretty good job of playing this self-delusional but wholesome actress who had 1 hit and wants the attention again. Curious to see what the second delayed season is like.

I caught a few season 1 eps too and felt the same way, it was more interesting and engaging than expected with moments of real poignancy. Kudrow did another series called Web Therapy that I thought was fantastic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4kz_ASNxAY

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Jacobi's so good, you almost forget how amazing Siān Phillips and John Hurt are in I, Claudius.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

socketwrencher posted:

I caught a few season 1 eps too and felt the same way, it was more interesting and engaging than expected with moments of real poignancy. Kudrow did another series called Web Therapy that I thought was fantastic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4kz_ASNxAY

This looks good, adding to my queue.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Lemony posted:

I made it through season 2 of Altered Carbon and I actually really enjoyed it. It wasn't the best thing ever, but I thought it was mostly really good, save for a few weaker points. It was definitely a little less tight than the first season, but I understand it diverged much more heavily for the novels than the first season did.

I didn't think this was any worse (or better) than the first season in aggregate, and I also didn't think the new lead was any worse (or better) than the previous one. Maybe other people don't remember the first season that well, or maybe I don't remember it that well, but my recollection is that the first season turned to hot wet poo poo for the last couple of episodes and barely limped to the finish line. Season 2 didn't blow my mind, but the quality was pretty consistent.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Wallet posted:

I didn't think this was any worse (or better) than the first season in aggregate, and I also didn't think the new lead was any worse (or better) than the previous one. Maybe other people don't remember the first season that well, or maybe I don't remember it that well, but my recollection is that the first season turned to hot wet poo poo for the last couple of episodes and barely limped to the finish line. Season 2 didn't blow my mind, but the quality was pretty consistent.

They changed the main actor? Ill watch then. I hated that guy

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Elias_Maluco posted:

They changed the main actor? Ill watch then. I hated that guy

You forgot the main principal of the Altered Carbon world didn't you?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Iron Crowned posted:

You forgot the main principal of the Altered Carbon world didn't you?

Body switching, yeah

But I though they would come up with an excuse to keep that guy, and Im glad they didint

edit: I know is more complicated then body switching too, no need to explain it to me

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Mar 6, 2020

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
The main actor was far from what was and is bad with Altered Carbon.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I agree, but I found him particulary aggravating

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Elias_Maluco posted:

Body switching, yeah

But I though they would come up with an excuse to keep that guy, and Im glad they didint

edit: I know is more complicated then body switching too, no need to explain it to me

I think they’ve said it’s their intention to switch the lead every season

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Elias_Maluco posted:

I agree, but I found him particulary aggravating

Then you're gonna hate the new guy

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei GlƃĀ¤ser

Google Butt posted:

Then you're gonna hate the new guy

He’s an utter charisma vacuum, too bland to hate. Uh oh, his next gig is Captain America.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Narcos Mexico S2 was pretty good. I really like the narrative tone of this show, if that makes any sense.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

showbiz_liz posted:

I just started watching the 1976 BBC miniseries I, Claudius because of this podcast. The first episode takes a while to get going - and I needed a little time to get used to the theatrical acting style and high-school-level production values - but now I'm four episodes in and loving it. It's both very dark and very funny, and the performances are really excellent. Plus, young hot Patrick Stewart. Also parts of it very clearly inspired Game of Thrones, so it's interesting to watch on a meta level.

I just watched all of it for the same reason. I always meant to watch it because I figured I’d be into it, and I even started it once but I fell asleep during the first episode. It loving takes off from episode 2 on though like you said. So loving good. The cast is terrific.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Zerozerozero on Amazon Prime is very much worth checking out. It's a mix of Sicario, Narcos and Gomorrah following a massive drugs shipment to Italy and how many parties are working to get it delivered or stop it. And it's not law enforcement who are trying to stop it, in this show they are a slight nuisance an envelope of cash takes care of, only rival criminal enterprises are a real obstacle. It's gorgeously shot on location in Italy, Mexico and Africa and they really went the extra mile actually filming in Senegal and not just Morocco which is the standard place to go for anything set in Africa or the Middle East. The way the episodes are structured is interesting, you follow a character for a bit and at some crucial moment you flash back to another character's events before they arrive at the same moment. At first it's a bit confusing but they execute it very well and after a few episodes I really was excited when the POV switch came.

It's also a brutal show, giving Narcos a run for its money. Good guys, bad guys, main characters, background extras, women, children, cops, soldiers, clowns, truly no one is safe. The cast is solid, Dane DeHaan was suprisingly compelling and while Andrea Riseborough's terrible hair annoyed the hell out of me it was all forgiven with an amazing final scene where she thinks she is going to pay her contact in Mexico for the shipment only to find Los Zetas had just murdered him and dozens more and she has to deal with the new, quite psychotic, cartel head literally between the bodies of the old ones.

Oh and it has a soundtrack by Mogwai.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

CeeJee posted:

Oh and it has a soundtrack by Mogwai.

Sold.

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity
The Returned (original French series) also had a great soundtrack by Mogwai. If you liked Farmed, I strongly recommend it.

My ex who doesn't understand a single word of French binged it from start to finish. It was on Canadian Netflix (subtitled) at the time

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

EvidenceBasedQuack posted:

The Returned (original French series) also had a great soundtrack by Mogwai. If you liked Farmed, I strongly recommend it.

My ex who doesn't understand a single word of French binged it from start to finish. It was on Canadian Netflix (subtitled) at the time

Ooh yeah, the French version of The Returned is great, definitely worth checking out at least the first season.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

the returned is filmed in Annecy where I go a lot for holiday.

They dragged a lot of bodies out of the lake when they were looking for a man who drowned a few years back.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Season 4 of Brockmire is starting soon so I've been watching the earlier seasons to get caught up. If you haven't heard of or seen Brockmire it's Hank Azaria doing his baseball announcer voice from the Simpsons. It's an amazing show and I think I'm the only person on the planet who watches it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwO26G_ktrk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cohf9iJpRpg

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

Pillbug
Halfway through Angie Tribeca and I adore this silly show. Not everything lands but most of the time it does and it's glorious. Sad that it got cancelled but I'm just happy it existed in the first place.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Season 4 of Brockmire is starting soon so I've been watching the earlier seasons to get caught up. If you haven't heard of or seen Brockmire it's Hank Azaria doing his baseball announcer voice from the Simpsons. It's an amazing show and I think I'm the only person on the planet who watches it.

Been meaning to check this out. Thanks for the reminder!

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Klaaz posted:

Narcos Mexico S2 was pretty good. I really like the narrative tone of this show, if that makes any sense.

I quite enjoyed it but at the end Felix's transition from openly conciliatory and pointedly not being an rear end at the end of episode nine to "Mine, all mine!" at the start of 10 was too abrupt.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Watched Love is Blind and The Wire S3.

I haven't watched a reality tv show forever but it was fun watching with my sister and laughing at how dumb Love is Blind was.

The Wire S3 is yet another great piece of television but I am probably not going to watch season 4 right away. The Wire is kinda depressing for the current environment.

Started The Witcher, am at episode 5 , I played the first game only half way through, this made me realize I need to play the game because I remember the writing in the game being ALOT better than this. Still Henry Cavill is in this killing weird monsters so I'll finish it.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Started the second season of Kingdom and I can already tell it is going to be a really really weird watch with my country on lockdown and all the scrambled panic over the spreading virus.

edit: pretty enjoyable! Still a very good mix of political intrigue, personal drama, zombies and awesome hats.

Meatgrinder fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Mar 20, 2020

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Just finished S1 of Ray Donovan. Feels like the Sopranos in L.A. drat the dad (Mickey) is a POS.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Arbite posted:

I quite enjoyed it but at the end Felix's transition from openly conciliatory and pointedly not being an rear end at the end of episode nine to "Mine, all mine!" at the start of 10 was too abrupt.

Fully agreed. Felix as a character was never really interesting to me though, lots of people around him and opposing him really made it excellent.

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

I've finally got around to watching Deadwood, and really like it so far. Great performances all round.

I wanna see a word cloud of the dialog in this show and see how prominent the word 'cocksucker' is

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Tace Vim posted:

I've finally got around to watching Deadwood, and really like it so far. Great performances all round.

I wanna see a word cloud of the dialog in this show and see how prominent the word 'cocksucker' is

Just wait.

Finished The Outsider. Just ok. Started re-watching the first season of Fargo.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
House Season 1 is entertaining enough in these trying times

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Man....I cannot wait for Fargo Season 4 to premier. I am flying through the first season again. I remember it being great......it's downright excellent. The critics seemed to think that the second season was the best one......but I'm not sure that I remember it being better than the first.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

The Clowner posted:

House Season 1 is entertaining enough in these trying times

I rewatched House awhile back, the latter seasons are much improved by FF>> Cuddy/House scenes.

We are rewatching Meerkat Manor. I say rewatching but only the kids watched it the first time so I'm just watching. What a fantastic show. And I learned it's coming back to television in 2021.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

Pillbug

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Man....I cannot wait for Fargo Season 4 to premier. I am flying through the first season again. I remember it being great......it's downright excellent. The critics seemed to think that the second season was the best one......but I'm not sure that I remember it being better than the first.

I liked the second season a lot but I think the first is better too. still have to watch the third one.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Tace Vim posted:

I am probably bored enough to actually do this later.

Remember that there is a movie which wraps up the show's storylines, and as such well worth watching when you're done with the latter.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Just binged three seasons of Money Heist on Netflix. At first the tone and euroness of it all was reminding me of the the recent serious and dark euro cop shows, but it's actually nothing like that and more 24 or Prison Break (especially Prison Break). Dumb fun. A bit slow at times when they get lost in character building flashbacks, but other than that I enjoyed it. Series 1 & 2 are a single story. Series 3 is the beginning of a second story and ends on a cliffhanger with 4 due in April I think. Also one of those shows (like Prison Break) that I felt really didn't need another season once they'd done the thing in the title of the show... but I actually enjoyed S3 a lot, possibly more than the first two, because I think they upped the over-the-top camp and embraced the dumb fun aspect of it.

Disney+ launches in the UK next week, but in our house we call it Phineas and Ferb+ and we'll be getting it for a month to binge that. Might watch the Mandalorian and a couple of other things, but it's mostly just for watching all the P&F.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Tace Vim posted:

So I did the wordcloud and any way I filter it, it just comes up with a whole bunch of variations of "gently caress" and "loving". There are just too many words in the script of all the episodes for it to come any way else.

Been watching The Almighty Johnsons, a New Zealand series from a while back that starts off as a mix of a soap opera and some 13 year old's fantasy about sex and power. It is blatantly unconcerned with rampant alcoholism, sexism and racism which cannot plug the many, many plotholes (one of the main characters has the ability to literally find anything, which he uses amply throughout the 3 seasons, yet the main story revolves about them not being able to find something).

What I'm saying is that it's bad, dated, and I wish this lockdown would go away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I'm caught up through season 3 of Better Call Saul. There's so goddamn much good stuff in this season. On to season 4 !

And if you're a Breaking Bad fan and didn't see El Camino, put aside any preconceptions you might have and just watch the drat thing. It's a really solid film, Aaron Paul does a great job as usual, and Jesse Plemmons does another great turn as Todd.