Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Obsession with number in all of its forms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Sunswipe posted:

I'd rather watch Deep Rising twice.

Thrice.

Oh no coranavirus has invaded your brain and made you post bad.

Please don't besmirch Ghost Ship.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/ryangrim/status/1236065959644925953

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
so that leaked CDC doc. 94 million infected. 500k dead. cool cool cool. the world is gonna be so weird for the next good while. a lot of people are gonna die. things will be different after.

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

The Walrus posted:

so that leaked CDC doc. 94 million infected. 500k dead. cool cool cool. the world is gonna be so weird for the next good while. a lot of people are gonna die. things will be different after.

what doc?

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I'm on my facility's COVID-19 response team. I expect to be dead soon. AMA

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

The Walrus posted:

Which SCP number is this?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

a mysterious cloak posted:

do you get a hazmat suit?

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Rinkles posted:

do you get a hazmat suit?

A medical grade tyvek-type suit, yes. With n95 and face shield!

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

a mysterious cloak posted:

Are you gay?

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Surviving coronavirus will be my own personal Vietnam.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

During the Spanish Flu everyone on Earth personally knew someone who died. The death toll was high but not astronomical, but the tragedy of the Spanish Flu touched every human being alive. I think this will be a similar situation.

Not joking, spend time with your elderly relatives this year.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Aristocrat and Keebler killed my pappy before Coronavirus could

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Self-quarantine confirmed, was told not to come into work on Monday.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Srsly. Link please.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I was travelling in the US for two weeks mid to end of January. I was staying in a hotel during that time but spending my days and meals with people from all over the world. When I got back in February I was exhausted for the whole month. The first week I chalked it up to jetlag (I'm in Australia) but after that I was still exhausted and had no energy for exercise (I'm usually pretty athletic) so I got blood drawn and checked all the usual hormone levels that might be suspect for a middle aged guy. Everything was fine but I'm vitamin D deficient (typical goon). As February wound up I started to feel better but then came down with a really nasty cold. I've taken a week of sick leave and I'm starting to feel better, again, but what's really frustrating is absolutely nobody will test me for covid.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

EvilJoven posted:

Srsly. Link please.

https://twitter.com/businessinsider/status/1236054532116877312?s=20

quote:

Hospitals are confronting the rising threat of the novel coronavirus in the US.
In a February webinar presentation hosted by the American Hospital Association, national healthcare experts from organizations across the US laid out what hospitals need to know as they face the virus that causes COVID-19.
Here's a look at the presentation, which includes estimated projections that there could be as many as 96 million cases in the US, 4.8 million hospitalizations, and 480,000 deaths associated with the novel coronavirus
It also includes proper ways to identify potential coronavirus patients, isolate them, and keep caregivers at the hospitals informed.
Click here for more BI Prime stories.
The spread of the coronavirus outbreak in the US could push the healthcare system to its limits.

Hospitals are bracing for what could be millions of admissions nationwide as the virus spreads.

The American Hospital Association, which represents thousands of hospitals and health systems, hosted a webinar in February with its member hospitals and health systems. Business Insider obtained a copy of the slides presented.

The presentation, titled "What healthcare leaders need to know: Preparing for the COVID-19" happened February 26, with representatives from the National Ebola Training and Education Center.

The presentation contained an overview of the virus, projections and estimates of how much the virus might spread in the US, and proper ways to identify potential coronavirus patients, isolate them, and keep caregivers at the hospitals informed.

In particular, one slide presented by an expert included "best guess" estimates that there could be as many as:

4.8 million hospitalizations associated with the novel coronavirus
96 million cases overall in the US
480,000 deaths
Overall, the slide points out that hospitals should prepare for an impact to the system that's 10 times a severe flu season.
Those estimates come from Dr. James Lawler, a professor at the University of Nebraska Medical Center. They "represent his interpretation of the data available. It's possible that forecast will change as more information becomes available," a spokesman for Nebraska Medicine told Business Insider in an email.

The American Hospital Association said the webinar reflects the views of the experts who spoke on it, not its own.

edit: it has the slides too but they're broken, using outline dot com

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

EvilJoven posted:

Srsly. Link please.

https://www.businessinsider.com/presentation-us-hospitals-preparing-for-millions-of-hospitalizations-2020-3

efb

teardrop
Dec 20, 2004

by Pragmatica

The Walrus posted:

Actually the doc said bitcoin would be worth 94 million, monero 500k. All this roni is sending crypto to the moon

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

BuckarooBanzai posted:

I was travelling in the US for two weeks mid to end of January. I was staying in a hotel during that time but spending my days and meals with people from all over the world. When I got back in February I was exhausted for the whole month. The first week I chalked it up to jetlag (I'm in Australia) but after that I was still exhausted and had no energy for exercise (I'm usually pretty athletic) so I got blood drawn and checked all the usual hormone levels that might be suspect for a middle aged guy. Everything was fine but I'm vitamin D deficient (typical goon). As February wound up I started to feel better but then came down with a really nasty cold. I've taken a week of sick leave and I'm starting to feel better, again, but what's really frustrating is absolutely nobody will test me for covid.

Testing only matters to a point. Once it's "everywhere" default assumption will be that everyone with similar symptoms has it.

We're not there yet but it's a changing landscape day by day. Maybe we won't get there at all. Who knows.

Anyway,
https://www.health.gov.au/news/health-alerts/novel-coronavirus-2019-ncov-health-alert

And if you feel the urge to try and make a testing appointment - you can only have testing done by prior appointment.
https://www.health.gov.au/about-us/contact-us/local-state-and-territory-health-departments

If anyone reading this who feels like turning up without prior warning to some ED at their local hospital, thanks in advance for potentially knocking out every frontline staff member who interacts with you before you go "oh by the way I mightI have this covid thing". Call ahead, fuckwits, and let them put their PPE on first.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Mar 7, 2020

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Well poo poo, AHA and the school both commented on the article. It's only one experts opinion but drat.

Incidentally there are roughly 500k politicians currently in office in the US.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

:nfpa:

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

DancingShade posted:

Testing only matters to a point. Once it's "everywhere" default assumption will be that everyone with similar symptoms has it.

We're not there yet but it's a changing landscape day by day. Maybe we won't get there at all. Who knows.

Anyway,
https://www.health.gov.au/news/health-alerts/novel-coronavirus-2019-ncov-health-alert

And if you feel the urge to try and make a testing appointment - you can only have testing done by prior appointment.
https://www.health.gov.au/about-us/contact-us/local-state-and-territory-health-departments

If anyone reading this who feels like turning up without prior warning to some ED at their local hospital, thanks in advance for potentially knocking out every frontline staff member who interacts with you before you go "oh by the way I mightI have this covid thing". Call ahead, fuckwits, and let them put their PPE on first.

Thanks bud. I called the Victorian government's covid hotline and asked and they told me I didn't meet the testing criteria yet. Oh well.

Edit:

Totally agree, nobody should just turn up at the ER presenting symptoms. My frustration was with the government's unwillingness to test people without specific criterta. I know we're short on testing supplies but if we're only testing people with a specific set of symptoms then those will be the only cases we find.

DickParasite fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Mar 7, 2020

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

I need to know more about these peanut slab ice cream bars.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Another thing for Australians panicking over hand gel and toilet paper. You know those are actually made in Australia yeah? Unless the national transport network stops functioning the shelves will restock normally so you probably didn't need to blow your fun money for the month on consumer grade cleaning products. I'm sure the manufacturers are very grateful for your financial contributions though.

Americans? I have no idea. I understand your national infrastructure is long crumbling so if you lot go medieval during times of crisis then sure, maybe you should panic. I'm sure Alex Jones will happily sell you all the gold/silver bullion and survival rations you'll need to last out the B-movie post apocalyptic future that will descend upon you, leaving your future a blasted wasteland of burning tyre fires, oversized laser guns and monster truck rallies.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

smoobles posted:

During the Spanish Flu everyone on Earth personally knew someone who died. The death toll was high but not astronomical, but the tragedy of the Spanish Flu touched every human being alive. I think this will be a similar situation.

Not joking, spend time with your elderly relatives this year.
Uhhh I'm gonna suggest videochatting instead

turntabler
Sep 10, 2011

Just Chamber posted:

So my friends studying to be a paramedic and is riding around in ambulances in London atm and apparently most of the paramedics just don't give a poo poo about Corona and are saying it's "basically the flu" which is either the right way to look at it or they're really horribly under prepared/ briefed on this. Like I get there's a degree of panic in the public but also I figure something with fairly large mortality rate compared to flu would be taken more seriously.

As a paramedic making GBS threads on the public for being worried and foregoing basic cares is what we do. Then someone coughs on us, we freak out and demand express testing at the hospital and complain to our union that our employer did not provide a safe working environment.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

When the coronavirus kills me please put me on a peanut slab

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Who's asking :biglips:

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

When the coronavirus kills me please put me on a peanut slab

I won't

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

:biglips:

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

BuckarooBanzai posted:

Totally agree, nobody should just turn up at the ER presenting symptoms. My frustration was with the government's unwillingness to test people without specific criterta. I know we're short on testing supplies but if we're only testing people with a specific set of symptoms then those will be the only cases we find.

It's not an efficient use of limited resources to test people who don't have severe symptoms at this point in time. While the epidemiological data might be useful, it's likely we'd still miss a lot of mild cases even if the testing criteria were changed.

If you're sick enough to think you should be tested, you should probably be self-isolating anyway so that you don't pass on whatever you have (whether it's covid-19 or not) to others.

What is stupid is when you have a premier making statements like this because they don't even know their own health department's policy regarding testing.

Gladys posted:

Premier Gladys Berejiklian on Wednesday warned the number of COVID-19 cases was likely to rise in the next few days.

She says anyone who is feeling unwell should contact their GP or the local hospital and make arrangements to get tested.

Lolie fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Mar 7, 2020

dangle 4 days
Mar 4, 2020

by Reene
i got a text saying i was in contact with a confirmed infected person while at hospital the other day and to open a link containing an INFORMATION LETTER

the link doesnt work lol theres a health hotline i can call to sort this out

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
wait lol you clicked the link? thats how you GET coronavirus buddy

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
let's place bets on the date the first goon gets coronavirus. I'm gonna say march 22.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The Walrus posted:

let's place bets on the date the first goon gets coronavirus. I'm gonna say march 22.

I hope I get it on my birthday

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
that can be arranged *wiggles eyebrows*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

The Walrus posted:

there are already goons in self-quarantine