Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I learned that, once again, things would have gone much better if people hadn't attacked me and had just let me do what I wanted.

I also learned why few people choose the R'lyehs to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronOhShi
Jun 30, 2019
Blink and you'll miss the rise and fall of Mictlan, which is Techniclly an underwater nation, but I was hoping to focus more on land to try gain that as an advantage, in an almost reverse of how games usually go with one or two nations holding the sea. Anyway, My UW expansion hit Ys and Ryleh immediatly, which while they didn't really attack, did cut me off in a big way. My land expansion ran into Erytheia and after a big of chasing each other back and forth, I lost in a big pitched battle between most/all of our forces. I cant remember what exact mistakes I made beyond picking mictlan for the first time in such a game, maybe it was just blood vengeance vs Erytheian massed sacreds. Losing quickly was probably for the best from how it turned out.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.
On the other hand, if you’d won our fight, things might’ve been different. I didn’t find it for a while, but I ended up having a 30% blood discount site in my cap circle. You might’ve been able to do some real fun things with it.

(I was Erytheia)

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

OOrochi posted:

On the other hand, if you’d won our fight, things might’ve been different. I didn’t find it for a while, but I ended up having a 30% blood discount site in my cap circle. You might’ve been able to do some real fun things with it.

(I was Erytheia)

How is Erytheia? I still haven't played them.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
What's the unit tag for the self-bless some Ind units have? I can't find it anywhere.

e: derp, I mean the unit ability #whatever thing

my dad fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jan 28, 2020

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

I tried to make things spooky, but EA ghosts are just not spooky enough against quality MA/LA troops.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

my dad posted:

What's the unit tag for the self-bless some Ind units have? I can't find it anywhere.

e: derp, I mean the unit ability #whatever thing

There's no tag yet because Illwinter, but you can copy a self-blessing Ind unit and just replace their stats and equipment to get an artisanal self-blessing unit of whatever type you desire.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

Turin Turambar posted:

How is Erytheia? I still haven't played them.

They're pretty fun, especially with the JBBM buffs to their movement. It often ended up that it'd be faster for me to spend a turn moving UW to then jump like 3 provinces on land.

Nationwise, they have great paths for nasty evocation communions with the Daudachoi, especially the Acid spells, and their royalty can (very potentially) have bonkers paths thanks to their 8 25% paths. The land troops are okay, basically slightly worse versions of Arco's troops but are amphibious and either are cheaper or don't rust UW. Their UW recruit stuff is pretty strong, though they're fully aquatic. I had people absolutely swear by the Xbows underwater, but in my experience they didn't seem to contribute much compared to the typical UW strats of water elementals and sharks.

They do have some really fun national spells too, with the Hesperides, Daktyls, and Hekaterides all having some good use.

Overall, they seem like they could be pretty strong if you were better with them than I was.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Seen in the discord-

https://twitter.com/itsyaboysamog/status/1222690990860972039

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Ramc posted:

Anyway if anyone has some highlights feel free to post.

I was jomon, who are not very good, with the jbbm monkey king god, who is excellent. I started on an island with vanheim and separated from everyone else by water so I basically told them that two tigers cannot live on the same mountain, declared foreverwar, and got my rear end kicked over and over until I had enough research to fight back at all. This was only possible because the monkey king is crazy and after much deliberation I decided on a Larger +15 shock resist bless, partly so I could name my god Big Goku and partly so I wouldn't have to recruit priests unless I wanted the resist, and in every fight big goku flew to the rear of vanheim, killed a few ponies and infantry before dying, then respawned 2 months later to do it again. the underwater dragon wizards helped too but ramc immediately killed me when i tried to fight him anyway, and immortality doesn't help when you're domkilled

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

art

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

In case you didn't know, the Dominions Discord community has a new initiative of making a decent wiki for the game. Here
https://illwiki.com/dom5/

Although being a wiki project and having just started, it's still kind of empty, in comparison with what it needs to have. To be honest, let's see if they really complete it as it will need a ton of effort, people start these kind of projects earnestly but lots of them fail after the first weeks as very few people have the constancy needed to reach the goal. Mmm now I think about it, Dominions mp players should have the resolve and attention span for that! :P
I think it's a good idea, the Inspector is great but I always thought it was missing one missing key part: the unit attribute list and descriptions.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

Seems a bit excessive to me.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I guess he'll never bee the head of a major organization

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Darksweep'd again

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
bumble hee

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

the bitcoin of weed posted:

I was jomon, who are not very good, with the jbbm monkey king god, who is excellent. I started on an island with vanheim and separated from everyone else by water so I basically told them that two tigers cannot live on the same mountain, declared foreverwar, and got my rear end kicked over and over until I had enough research to fight back at all. This was only possible because the monkey king is crazy and after much deliberation I decided on a Larger +15 shock resist bless, partly so I could name my god Big Goku and partly so I wouldn't have to recruit priests unless I wanted the resist, and in every fight big goku flew to the rear of vanheim, killed a few ponies and infantry before dying, then respawned 2 months later to do it again. the underwater dragon wizards helped too but ramc immediately killed me when i tried to fight him anyway, and immortality doesn't help when you're domkilled

I was Vanheim in that game. We wiped each others armies like 5 times each or something. I'd win a battle on the land between us, move onto Jomon's capital then get kicked off. Their god was really annoying, yeah. I maybe should've tried to get underwater since it seemed like their provinces off the coast were what kept them going but I'm pretty sure had some reason I didn't that I can't seem to remember now since this was like 2 months ago. Eventually I just went AI realizing we'd bled each other too dry to be a factor going forward and I was getting kind of bored of fighting essentially the same battles over and over again. All in all a good hellwar.

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style
I just came across an indy province that had draconians as the army and was led by a chimera. The chimera also happened to have the level 8 artifact "carcator the pocket lich", who kept casting deadly spells at my guys the whole time. I didn't get the artifact after the battle though :(

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

quote:

Gonadic IO: .q arcvasti
Samogbot: [1/1] (01/09/19 05:37)
<arcvasti> oh my god this random indie had a water bottle as a starting item and now my expander is dead

Alex0080
May 3, 2013

IAmThatIs posted:

I just came across an indy province that had draconians as the army and was led by a chimera. The chimera also happened to have the level 8 artifact "carcator the pocket lich", who kept casting deadly spells at my guys the whole time. I didn't get the artifact after the battle though :(

I did get the pocket lich when that happened to me. I guess the chimera with a pocket lich is a fixed, but rare thing.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Alex0080 posted:

I did get the pocket lich when that happened to me. I guess the chimera with a pocket lich is a fixed, but rare thing.

There are a few rare indie provinces with abnormal defenders. There's also one that I think has two titan chassis leading the army.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Technowolf posted:

There are a few rare indie provinces with abnormal defenders. There's also one that I think has two titan chassis leading the army.

I seem to remember someone on the discord said they had two of those in their cap circle once. Extremely low odds but it can happen.

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch
Inspired by the superb Kitfox meta, this mod autospawns lower end units in every fort you own, providing it has dominion and is not sieged. Think of HoMM or Footman Frenzy when it comes to recruitment. Also, the amount and quality depends upon the Sloth/Production scales, and Order scales also get a slight income boost so you incentive to not just tank it. From the test games I've played, it's best done with high strength indies and easy research. If you like watching pixel dudes die in mass quantities, this is the mod for you.
http://dominionsmods.com/index.php?s=972a915b9c6df696f52fa1d748c95d60&showtopic=4024

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Amuys posted:

Inspired by the superb Kitfox meta, this mod autospawns lower end units in every fort you own, providing it has dominion and is not sieged. Think of HoMM or Footman Frenzy when it comes to recruitment. Also, the amount and quality depends upon the Sloth/Production scales, and Order scales also get a slight income boost so you incentive to not just tank it. From the test games I've played, it's best done with high strength indies and easy research. If you like watching pixel dudes die in mass quantities, this is the mod for you.
http://dominionsmods.com/index.php?s=972a915b9c6df696f52fa1d748c95d60&showtopic=4024

:thumbsup: someone fire up a game

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Was just surprised by a new update.

Dominions 5.41 posted:

All Nordic giant nations have been updated and there is one entirely new nation called Vaettiheim. Vaettiheim is a nation of mostly small goblins called Vaettir, but there are also a few giants there. There is also a lot of minor improvements, balance tweaks, bug fixes and new commands for modders.

General
New late age nation: Vaettiheim
Niefelheim, Jotunheim and Utgård have been updated
New heroes for Jotunheim and Utgård
New rituals: Summon Dwarf of the Four Directions and Winter's Call, Summon Rimvaetti
Illwinter global now enables a limited recruitment of Niefel Giants in all Forts
Illwinter cold spread didn't work correctly
Moose Riders leave behind a rider when the moose die
More Nordic names
Curse Tablet is now difficult to resist
New Pretender Gods: Great Archon, King in Yellow, Serpent of the Underworld and Demiurge
New unit for LA Marignon: Plague Doctor
New twiceborn chassis
Twiceborn ritual cost is now size dependent
Option to close windows by clicking outside them
Speedup when selecting commander with sail ability
Icon for Summon Allies
Ind hidden dominion information leakage fixed
Flame Jelly fireshield didn't work under water
Squad size was not always updated correctly after setting guard commander order
lumber construct increased prot
Mictlan jaguar pretender cost fix
New icons for some underwater sites
Contact Jinn & Summon Jinn Warrior more expensive
Na'Ba lab cost 250 only in wastes
Hit locations did not take Larger bless into account
Supply usage did not take Larger bless into account
Weapon damage no longer capped to 50% on head hits on a being that cannot live without its head
Unique non-artifacts could be mass produced on one turn, fixed
Minor fatigue damage vs immune beings no longer shown in log (chill/heat auras)
Automatically found sites are now found on turn 0 (for games with extra start provinces)
Crossbows and Arbalests had infinite ammo, fixed
Beam Weapons no longer hit the user
Fix for battle summonings from retreated units
Break Siege now lasts for the entire turn (also vs. random events)
It was possible to keep reanimating Supayas when besieged
Wrong popup for Supaya reanimation
Most heroes are now unique, i.e. there can be only one of each
Kavi Archer cheaper
Zhayedan more expensive and -1 Att skill
Caelum could sometimes get guardian angles for non-priests, fixed.
Commander recruitment point fix
New random pretender title
Improved spell info for certain combat spells
Recruitment greyed out when province has 0 resources
Faery Queen now has Iron Vulnerability
Message when a commander dies from old age
Items didn't go to lab when dying from old age due to ritual, fixed
Assassination targets now don't care about conservative gem usage
Some battlefield wide offensive spells will never be cast against few opponents in order to save gems (especially when on conservative gem usage)
Huntress for Ind 2 rec points
Perpetual Storm now always has a visible snow/rain effect in battle
Undo for Alchemy
Help screen for Alchemy
Arena combatants could refuse to fight when they wore the slave collar
Net and Web are now separate effects
Possible game freeze fix
Ghost Ship Armada wasn't removed properly when the last armada was defeated
Mictlan Slave Warrior got a Stone Spear
Darkvision bless effect from sites wasn't shown properly
Ind Lord of Heathen Tribes ability is no longer restricted to one per province
Ind Lord of Heathen Tribes ability now increases unrest slightly
Ind Bishop Vicomte & Viceroy Primate now reduces less unrest
Game Victory message is now written to debug log
New random events
Event fixes, stat fixes, typo fixes

Modding
New nation commands: #defchaos, #defsloth, #defdeath, #defmisfortune, #defdrain
New nation commands: #badindpd, #coastrec, #coastcom
New site commands: #nat, #natcom, #natmon
New monster commands: #domshape, #notdomshape
New monster & item commands: #dompower, #slaver, #slaverbonus
New item command: #deathpower
Maximum number of descriptions increased
#snaketattoo didn't work
New event commands: #req_arenadone, #req_godismnr
Don't crash when the maximum number of researched spells for a player has been exceeded
Fix for #noreqlab getting the wrong popup
#req_targnotowner and similar new commands didn't work
#tempscalecap now caps all scales

Gotta be honest, I'm most excited for "Undo for alchemy", since late turns can get so complicated, then you screw up your alchemy, and have to redo the whole 1 hour turn :(

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I played around a little with Vaettiheim and they potentially seem super strong. A whole drat nation of size 1 easily massable troops except some of them are actually good. Size 1 berserkers. Size 1 sacreds with cold aura and magic weapons. You can literally clear out heavy cav provinces with like five casualties on your side by just tarpitting the fuckers and waiting for them to fatigue out from the cold while you bite at their ankles.

Also your mages can communion and you get D, S, N and B access. So unless everybody else gets the evocations up and running real fast these dudes seem like they'd be horrible to fight in the early to midgame.

E: And oh yeah, literally everything you have is also stealthy for all your Elfing needs. Also you get research chaff that can be recruited from any forest, and 40% of them will have either S or B for your communion needs.

Cerebral Bore fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Mar 6, 2020

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch

Cerebral Bore posted:

I played around a little with Vaettiheim and they potentially seem super strong. A whole drat nation of size 1 easily massable troops except some of them are actually good. Size 1 berserkers. Size 1 sacreds with cold aura and magic weapons. You can literally clear out heavy cav provinces with like five casualties on your side by just tarpitting the fuckers and waiting for them to fatigue out from the cold while you bite at their ankles.

Also your mages can communion and you get D, S, N and B access. So unless everybody else gets the evocations up and running real fast these dudes seem like they'd be horrible to fight in the early to midgame.

E: And oh yeah, literally everything you have is also stealthy for all your Elfing needs. Also you get research chaff that can be recruited from any forest, and 40% of them will have either S or B for your communion needs.

They don't really have a workhorse mage

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

The Great Archon is not a good pretender chassis. But is hilarious.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Your dedication is commendable. Who doesn't like a Tyrant with a chicken head?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Amuys posted:

They don't really have a workhorse mage

Cap gygja is 2 rec points, vaetti hags are nearly free and they have half cost forest labs to enable massing them. Non cap fort mages are 2/5 communion capable, 1/5 d2, 1/5 n2, 1/5 w2. Obviously the w2 and n2 are weaker than the others. They're absolutely fine.

The nation is very solid and stealthy 7g xbow and 12g very powerful size1 infantry is fuckin badass

You should be labbing every forest you own and m3 is desireable.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Mar 7, 2020

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I played around a bit more, and if you can get some defensive buffs on either of the basic Vaetti spear infantry you've got a hilariously effective tarpit unit. Cheap as gently caress, Size 1 Prot 8 or 13, depending on which it is, Defense 12 MR 12 and they have shields and helmets.

And yeah, the cap mages seem workhorsey enough to me. D1N1B1 and 2.1WSDNB ain't bad for late age, and they can all lead communions backed by your infinite horde of Vaetti hags.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

The little berserker guys will flat out murder poo poo. 21 damage x 6 attacks per square w/ good combat values. If you berserk them it's another +2

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
S means you can pull out Battle Fortune and Will Of The Fates on your little tarpit

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Nuclearmonkee posted:

The little berserker guys will flat out murder poo poo. 21 damage x 6 attacks per square w/ good combat values. If you berserk them it's another +2

Cast Quickness on those little bastards and it's like a loving blender.

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
But... how many times can it use the problem solver before running out of ammunition?

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch

LordSloth posted:

But... how many times can it use the problem solver before running out of ammunition?

10, no reloads sorry

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
It takes like all frikken day to reload that mofo with Dominions technology

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

1/5000 chance for the attack to fail and kill the chassis instantly