Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Rutibex posted:

lovely hastily put together hospitals was why the Spanish Flu was so deadly

I hope their capabilities would be better now than immediately following world war one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Rutibex posted:

lovely hastily put together hospitals was why the Spanish Flu was so deadly

Were they specifically bad compared to staying at home, or just not good? I suppose back in those days they didn't have tests so they'd be mixing flu/spanish flu/common cold together so everyone catches em all, which is bad. But if you have 100 patients with (the same strain of) Corona, would putting them all together and only protecting the doctors be bad? Maybe also all kinds of diseases hopping around patients? Would that be worse than letting the critical patients stay home though? That also seems like a death sentence.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

The Walrus posted:

I hope their capabilities would be better now than immediately following world war one.

Privatized healthcare means we have just enough care for a somewhat bad flu season. Something like this hasn't happened (outside of Asia, which has learned much more from SARS/Ebola than us) in 100 years. I have great confidence that 1 patient in the Netherlands can receive excellent care. But when numbers rise, we run out of everything quite quickly.

Edit:
Well, the Netherlands isn't exactly privatized, but there's definitely been some "We should bring some MBAs in here, they make everything better" going on.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Griefor posted:

Were they specifically bad compared to staying at home, or just not good? I suppose back in those days they didn't have tests so they'd be mixing flu/spanish flu/common cold together so everyone catches em all, which is bad. But if you have 100 patients with (the same strain of) Corona, would putting them all together and only protecting the doctors be bad? Maybe also all kinds of diseases hopping around patients? Would that be worse than letting the critical patients stay home though? That also seems like a death sentence.

it was because the hospitals were understaffed (who would want to work there?) and unsanitary, so all the patients got secondary infections as well.

The Walrus posted:

i would hope so too, but we are talking about the US federal government here. also there are 3x more people now than there were back in 1918.

i am going to be very careful not to get sick

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
It's important to remember that Trump wants to burn America to the ground because a lot of americans mock him instead of pandering to him like he's a god emperor, so letting the virus ravage the population is par the course.

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

real talk, im glad my son is young because i work in healthcare so if i get it at least he wont be too affected by it and hey, if i die from it, maybe he'll get a better dad :unsmith:

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
I was sick for like all of February and went to the hospital for respiratory poo poo. They had had no test kits but wanted to test . Anyway I’m mostly ok now but still feel a little run down. Wonder if I had that Roni.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yaldabaoth posted:

It's important to remember that Trump wants to burn America to the ground because a lot of americans mock him instead of pandering to him like he's a god emperor, so letting the virus ravage the population is par the course.

Yeah he's already proven to hold nothing but contempt for any state that went blue in his election, look forward to all of the federal aid going to only red states

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

Yeah he's already proven to hold nothing but contempt for any state that went blue in his election, look forward to all of the federal aid going to only red states

poor people only have healthcare in blue states that expanded medicaid, so they'll probably need less aid

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
They confirmed roni in my city, so I’m wondering when and how bad the panic’s going to get.

We have a comic con in a few weeks. They came out and said that YES, ABSOLUTELY they’re still on. I seriously doubt it, though. What guest is gonna want to fly here?

I’m a teacher. There’s no way I haven’t been exposed. I also have the immune system of a god and a Chinese engineered superbug conspiracy is about the only thing that could take me down. Even then, I doubt it. I dug through all my poo poo last night to get ready in case I’m asked to send packets home with students if we close. I may copy it now just to get ahead of everyone else in the building. I like all the education sites with ads on them all like, “Closed for Corona Virus? Try Kafliddle Premium!” Like dang, y’all’s some vultures just to get that sweet PO money.

My parents want us to come over tonight. My dad has a lot of heath problems. I’ve informed them that they are, in fact, dumbasses.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

a mysterious cloak posted:

I'm on my facility's COVID-19 response team. I expect to be dead soon. AMA

Just stock up on toilet paper, it's the cure to the virus

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Does vids actually give you the shits? Or a runny nose?

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Yaldabaoth posted:

While tump is in fact a festering trash bag filled with used condoms, expired hungry-man meals and a low grade malice towards anything that's not him, I wouldn't be surprised if he forgets the roni exists unless someone has just mentioned it to him. Otherwise he exists in a perfect bliss possible only through the complete smoothing of one's brain and deterioration of one's already limited mental faculties.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

trump is a germ phobe isn't he? i bet a lot of his flailing in the last week is because he knows he has to campaign but also that the plague is out there and it's going to kill him if he doesn't lock himself in mar a lago

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

We’re all calling it the roni now.

:discourse:

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Beans-a-roni, the new San Francisco treat

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

poverty goat posted:

trump is a germ phobe isn't he? i bet a lot of his flailing in the last week is because he knows he has to campaign but also that the plague is out there and it's going to kill him if he doesn't lock himself in mar a lago

I do wonder if he's freaking out and he's downplaying everything to try to calm himself.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

mrfart posted:

Here in belgium they started limiting the amount of tests to an absolute minimum because they're running out of the chemical they need to do them.
A chemical that is normally bought in... China.
I'm guessing the same is going on in every country right now, the numbers don't mean anything, a virologist was quoted in my newspaper saying they will start focusing on the body count, not the number of infected.
Absolutely nobody seems to give a gently caress. There's no idiotic hoarding, which is nice, but people keep kissing to say hello, stores are full of food samplers, the lady at my bakery only accepting cash and then making sandwiches for customers without gloves etc... All while the minister of health specifically asked not to do poo poo like that.
My dad is having his birthday party today, with al his kids and his disease riddled grand children, who came back from skiing near Italy a week ago.
I asked him if that's such a good idea, but it gets laughed away.

Still doing a better job than the us by the sole virtue of having no gvt

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!
The beans, disinfected wipes, and TP were pretty much all gone at the two grocery stores I went to last night, I guess people started panicking more after they announced that one dude with the roni had been riding the Toronto AND Mississauga transit systems for three days while sick.

I guess if we have a bunghole emergency I'll go over to my mom and dad's house and liberate some supplies from the vast Costco hoard in their basement, since they're in Florida until mid-April, as is the way Canadian boomers.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Trump is going to live out masque of the red death in mar a lago lol.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
I honestly don't understand these TP shortages.

How is this a priority before food, and why do some need so many of it?

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

I honestly don't understand these TP shortages.

How is this a priority before food, and why do some need so many of it?

Buddy I need a lot of it trust me

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

Bullfrog posted:

https://twitter.com/businessinsider/status/1236054532116877312?s=20

edit: it has the slides too but they're broken, using outline dot com

ah, i see we're transitioning to the bargaining phase

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

smoobles posted:

During the Spanish Flu everyone on Earth personally knew someone who died. The death toll was high but not astronomical, but the tragedy of the Spanish Flu touched every human being alive. I think this will be a similar situation.

Not joking, spend time with your elderly relatives this year.
My Boomer parents aren't even the oldest kid in their family. My eldest aunts and uncles are pushing late 70s. Statistically at least one will likely die of coronavirus, but then there would be a funeral and the surviving family would show up and then a high possibility of another echo funeral.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

CannonFodder posted:

My Boomer parents aren't even the oldest kid in their family. My eldest aunts and uncles are pushing late 70s. Statistically at least one will likely die of coronavirus, but then there would be a funeral and the surviving family would show up and then a high possibility of another echo funeral.

Does your family, like, lick the corpse?

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
alright so what should I do to prepare? I'm youngish so I'm not worried about dying but should I buy anything extra just in case? beans and rice? will stores really see shortages? I'm in a bigger city if that affects anything

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

alright so what should I do to prepare? I'm youngish so I'm not worried about dying but should I buy anything extra just in case? beans and rice? will stores really see shortages? I'm in a bigger city if that affects anything

buy some rope for a noose because youre already dead

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice

poverty goat posted:

I remember him in an interview way before he ran for office saying handshakes were barbaric, which honestly I agree with. But yeah I assume he's pretty freaked out.

The major US screw up appears to be the lack of good test kits early which was the CDC's fault and also FDA red tape which may have served them in the past but should have been put on hold for the crisis.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Get a bidet

Seriously I just used mine for the first time and it’s crazy to think that normies smear poop around with paper.

As a youngish person you are likely to have mild symptoms or none at all so you’ll just need enough to make it a couple weeks just so you don’t get others sick.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
No but seriously why is it TP of all things that people are going crazy panic buying? Here was my local supermarket in the SE of the UK yesterday:

If I had to self-isolate at home for two weeks and ran out of TP, I'd just shower after I take a poo poo.

The only other thing that the shop seemed to be low on was big bags of rice. Plenty of frozen meat and veggies and tinned food. Are people going to eat the TP?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I'm in Japan, a nation of bidets, and toilet paper is completely missing everywhere.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Two fold problem. SARS was thought to be contained and SARS vaccines have a rep for utterly bonkers side effects with narcolepsy being on of the milder ones.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
and people called me a fool for building my entire house out of toilet paper. well who's laughing now!

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Prepare for having to stay at your home without leaving for a few weeks. That means not starving to death and having enough of any supplies and medications you depend on to function normally.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Edgar posted:

I am excited to catch this and spread it to my elderly 50+ year old coworkers.

Get ready for a big promotion!

Boomers refused to retire, now Mother Nature is stepping in.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Just use your bare hands. Your supposed to wash your hands after pooping anyhow.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Just use your bare hands. Your supposed to wash your hands after pooping anyhow.

Ugh, these new hand washing rules are the worst

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
My wife is flying back home today from a conference in NYC and the airline provided her flight with an emotional support dog!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/dasharez0ne/status/1236291140120387588?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

To all the people wondering why TP is going out of stock: it's a shitload cheaper than kleenex or tissues and if you know the odds are good you'll catch a respiratory infection where you'll be sneezing a lot you'll go for what's cheap. Also no one wants to quarantine and run out of TP.