Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

dangle 4 days posted:

i finally got the required info, i dont have to quarantine but if i feel even slightly unwell or pick up any symptoms they want 14 days of isolation

i feel pretty poo poo but like i dont think its related to this cos symptoms dont pop up this early. i think i have a regular cold

Symptoms can appear very quickly, 3-4 days is just the median

But you probably don't have it anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dangle 4 days
Mar 4, 2020

by Reene
discussed with my dad about the knock on effects. he proposed "people would go out of business if they cant use chinas cheap labour"

i retort "if you cant afford to pay proper wages maybe you shouldnt run a business" he didnt know what to say

he is *very salty* im cheering on the financial collapse but maybe thats cos he has a retirement fund and i dont

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Wouldn't the military have some capacity to roll out a bunch of field hospitals or hospital ships? Presumably the level of care wouldn't be the same as a proper hospital but it'd be better than nothing.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Myriarch posted:

It's just a chocolate bar with peanuts that now has ice cream. Kinda disappointed, I thought 'slab' was a descriptor, not a brand reference

Oh drat, getting the big news in the Covid-19 thread, wonder if we're gonna get a few of these in Aus too (unlikely).

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

gay picnic defence posted:

Wouldn't the military have some capacity to roll out a bunch of field hospitals or hospital ships? Presumably the level of care wouldn't be the same as a proper hospital but it'd be better than nothing.

Yeah, but the time for them to be getting that in motion is literally like last week. Treating the people who just need oxygen and monitoring should be fairly easy to scale up, it's the cases that require ventilation that the capacity to scale is worse for

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

I guess it’s the one institution Trump hasn’t gutted and handed off to grifter idiots

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

Part of me is wondering if I had the Roni already. I was at an international tradeshow in Vegas for a week back in late January when all of this poo poo first started popping off, then got absolutely bodied by a cold / flu / whatever for about 5 days when I got back. That doesn't seem to sync with the incubation time but I haven't been knocked on my rear end by an illness like that in years - and I generally rarely get sick 🤷‍♂️

Anyway I'm in LA county and poo poo looks like it's gearing up to be real great. Our homeless population is going to be loving decimated 😥

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yes, and that's helpful but not nearly enough

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Objurium posted:

Part of me is wondering if I had the Roni already. I was at an international tradeshow in Vegas for a week back in late January when all of this poo poo first started popping off, then got absolutely bodied by a cold / flu / whatever for about 5 days when I got back. That doesn't seem to sync with the incubation time but I haven't been knocked on my rear end by an illness like that in years - and I generally rarely get sick 🤷‍♂️

Anyway I'm in LA county and poo poo looks like it's gearing up to be real great. Our homeless population is going to be loving decimated 😥

There was some really serious respiratory bug that went around right around CNY and the end of winterbreak through north america that was pretty drat brutal. No idea specifically what it was, but people all over the country were mentioning a respiratory bug in mid-late january.

The Clitoris
Jan 29, 2020

Finding it makes all of your dreams come true
What's the joke with calling it "The Roni"?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

The Clitoris posted:

What's the joke with calling it "The Roni"?

We’re all calling it the roni now.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Real talk though I know if I got this poo poo I'd probably be fine. My immune system is beastly and I maybe get sick once every other year, but I'm super concerned for my parents who are noth 60+ years old. My sister is also mentally challenged and is receiving care from them and if my parents were to pass I'd have to look after her.

This doesn't really scare me for my own sake, I hardly ever get sick and when I do it's always way less severe than virtually anyone else, it's because of my family that I'm scared. This really is a killer when it comes to older people. Think about your parents more than yourself if you're under 40.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

That's true, engineers tend to neglect uncertainty

However, the optimistic guesses of what those uncertainties are still point to total healthcare collapse if this spreads unchecked. So the engineer's conclusion, that healthcare resources are on track to be completely overwhelmed, are still very likely. And that's coincidentally also what epidemiology experts have been saying.
Do you really need to be an engineer to come to the conclusion that health services will get overwhelmed? There’s finite beds and respirators, and this thing is sure to infect hundreds of thousands, even millions of people at the same time once it takes hold. There won’t be enough of those things to go around. It’s a very simple calculus.

Assuming you make antibodies for this thing you’re probably better off getting it sooner rather than later, particularly if it progresses to pneumonia, while it’s still novel and facilities haven’t been overwhelmed, than you are getting it when you’re one of 10 thousand people locally with it.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

We’re all calling it the roni now.

The Jabroni Virus

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Durzel posted:

Assuming you make antibodies for this thing you’re probably better off getting it sooner rather than later

People itt were saying you can catch the stuff multiple times

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

unpacked robinhood posted:

Yes.

At this point there is 0 evidence that once you catch it you are good.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

People have said a lot of things in this thread but it's way too early to have reliable data about many aspects of this specific virus.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

There have been a handful of reports of people who test positive again after recovery, but they're not getting sick. And there are also numerous reports of people becoming sick a second time

For example
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/29/health/coronavirus-reinfection.html?0p19G=2870

https://www.businessinsider.com/wuhan-coronavirus-risk-of-reinfection-2020-2

It doesn't seem like relapses are very common, but some people have definitely gotten sick a second time

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Scary. So we’re basically quite possibly hosed for the next 12 months at least.

Hopefully they don’t rush a vaccine out so fast that they neglect to notice that it makes your leg fall off or something.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Durzel posted:

Hopefully they don’t rush a vaccine out so fast that they neglect to notice that it makes your leg fall off or something.

That's exactly what they'll do once the olds start panicking. Trump will probably make it an election promise

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
If a bro has The Roni would that make him a Broroni?

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Durzel posted:

Do you really need to be an engineer to come to the conclusion that health services will get overwhelmed? There’s finite beds and respirators, and this thing is sure to infect hundreds of thousands, even millions of people at the same time once it takes hold. There won’t be enough of those things to go around. It’s a very simple calculus.

Assuming you make antibodies for this thing you’re probably better off getting it sooner rather than later, particularly if it progresses to pneumonia, while it’s still novel and facilities haven’t been overwhelmed, than you are getting it when you’re one of 10 thousand people locally with it.

Not an engineer per se, but 90% of people are absolutely terrible at math. Especially expontential growth and it's explosive growth is completely lost on people. See also: people taking loans at usurious rates and the Wheat and chessboard problem. You can go a bunch of squares into the chessboard and most people will still be laughing it off.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Durzel posted:

Scary. So we’re basically quite possibly hosed for the next 12 months at least.

You might find these two articles regarding SARS vaccines which never went into commercial production interesting. SARS is a coronavirus.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-care/scientists-were-close-coronavirus-vaccine-years-ago-then-money-dried-n1150091

http://www.pharmatimes.com/news/sanofi_to_repurpose_sars_vaccine_candidate_for_coronavirus_1326473

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

yaffle posted:

If a bro has The Roni would that make him a Broroni?

no, it makes him a broni, or a brony, if you will

Necrosaro
Dec 31, 2008

A Necrosaro Appears!
Fun Shoe
Don't touch your face.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAllvKXOC0w

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Joe Bogan posted:

It's not JUST a chocolate bar you absolute loving prick.

Yeah, jesus how could he just fuckin say that

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Myriarch posted:

It's just a chocolate bar with peanuts that now has ice cream. Kinda disappointed, I thought 'slab' was a descriptor, not a brand reference

Peanut slabs are god's gift to your taste buds and I won't have this slander in the thread about virus plumes.

Like, there's a reason this new ice cream mashup thing was top of the news they are just that good (also NZ news is the most small town vibe imaginable).

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
CorOwOna VirUwUs :3:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Like, don't ever listen to anything an engineer says that has to do with anything outside their field.

Truth

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Just heard about the first case in a neighbouring state in my country. Woman went to USA for a conference, came back with corona. Whole family quarantined.

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.
My workplace just had to announce an employee has it (the first case in their specific state). The best thing about the internal memo was it sounding more annoyed we were going to be in the news. No direction was given as to the health and well-being of the rest of us.

I should mention the place I work is quite lovely to their employees.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Here in belgium they started limiting the amount of tests to an absolute minimum because they're running out of the chemical they need to do them.
A chemical that is normally bought in... China.
I'm guessing the same is going on in every country right now, the numbers don't mean anything, a virologist was quoted in my newspaper saying they will start focusing on the body count, not the number of infected.
Absolutely nobody seems to give a gently caress. There's no idiotic hoarding, which is nice, but people keep kissing to say hello, stores are full of food samplers, the lady at my bakery only accepting cash and then making sandwiches for customers without gloves etc... All while the minister of health specifically asked not to do poo poo like that.
My dad is having his birthday party today, with al his kids and his disease riddled grand children, who came back from skiing near Italy a week ago.
I asked him if that's such a good idea, but it gets laughed away.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

mrfart posted:

My dad is having his birthday party today, with al his kids and his disease riddled grand children, who came back from skiing near Italy a week ago.
I asked him if that's such a good idea, but it gets laughed away.

my boomer dad is the same, "it's just media hype". well whatever ok then.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

mike12345 posted:

Just heard about the first case in a neighbouring state in my country. Woman went to USA for a conference, came back with corona. Whole family quarantined.

Many such caskets

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Still not dead 😭

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
It's that 'roni man, everyone's getting it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
the 2nd positive case of coronavirus in newcastle was found yesterday from transmission from the first confirmed case and a severe common cold has gone through the building i work in like wildfire leading to someone collapsing and being taken to hospital in an ambulance yesterday. anyway i've had the severe cold for a week now with no signs of it going away yet lol

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Jose posted:

the 2nd positive case of coronavirus in newcastle was found yesterday from transmission from the first confirmed case and a severe common cold has gone through the building i work in like wildfire leading to someone collapsing and being taken to hospital in an ambulance yesterday. anyway i've had the severe cold for a week now with no signs of it going away yet lol

Buddy, that’s the roni

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

lovely hastily put together hospitals was why the Spanish Flu was so deadly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Mons Hubris posted:

Buddy, that’s the roni

Very probably lol it owns