Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I mean to me $200 doesn't seem all that crazy. It's pretty wild technology for what amounts to used PS4 money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Same. I spent the evening racing pretend racecars in my VR hat in my driving rig and it was awesome :feelsgood:

Get a VR, you’ll love it

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

But I guess if you don’t even own a PC.. the entry price for a good experience is more like $2000?

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
And if you don't own a house it can reach the hundreds of thousands!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Thought I'd boot up Black Mesa 1.0 and holy gently caress Gordon Freeman is meant to be 27? I feel like a failure.

Iamgoofball
Jul 1, 2015

i can't wait to do the seesaw puzzle 5 times again, but in VR

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

stev posted:

Thought I'd boot up Black Mesa 1.0 and holy gently caress Gordon Freeman is meant to be 27? I feel like a failure.

Someone make a mod where Gordon can talk but the only thing he says is “ok boomer” to all the scientists and guards.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

stev posted:

The upside is that neither of us likely has the level of responsibility to usher in an apocalyptic dimensional invasion if things go wrong at work

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Blind Rasputin posted:

But I guess if you don’t even own a PC.. the entry price for a good experience is more like $2000?

This is also mostly true of non-VR PC games.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Mar 7, 2020

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

An option would be to buy a refurbished dell optiplex for like, 200$ that has a decent i5/i7 and buy a used 1070 for another 200$ or something. 400~500 dollars and you'd be looking at a pretty decent machine.

Or if you wanted something a bit more future proof you can just go to pc part picker and get a cheap 2000 series ryzen build, upgrade to 3000/4000 down the line if you wanted. I would still recommend buying a used card to save on the most expensive piece of the build though

but then tack on ~400$ for a vr rig, and even then, facebook marketplace/kijiji/ whatever local buy and sell service you have will probably have some vive setups for fairly cheap. This isn't the recommended option but it IS cheap. I would still recommend a Rift S at this point tho

Joke Miriam
Nov 17, 2019

stev posted:

I’ve always assumed that they made Gordon get a Ph.D in theoretical physics by age 27 because if they made him any older, prospective teenage buyers might get turned off by playing an old. It’s like how in Japanese games you have all these super elite vets with a huge service record, and they’re like, 21.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Considering Japan's track record in the 20th century a 21 year old veteran is depressingly realistic.

As for Freeman it's really not out of line with the games tone of the heroic action scientist from alien invasion b movies

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Mar 7, 2020

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

So what’s the price and parts for an above average fairly future proof machine for this? If this isn’t the right place I’ll ask elsewhere. Are all in one pc’s that aren’t covered up in cords a thing that allows for installing the necessary video card?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Blind Rasputin posted:

So what’s the price and parts for an above average fairly future proof machine for this? If this isn’t the right place I’ll ask elsewhere. Are all in one pc’s that aren’t covered up in cords a thing that allows for installing the necessary video card?

Get to the PC building thread in SH/SC

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I mentioned it in the general VR thread but I'm finally up and running on a newer machine that should run HL:A just fine :toot:
Now I need to figure out how to actually do stuff in the SteamVR home interface so I can look at the environment stuff they've released, all I can figure out for setting a private room is to use the default setting.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

stev posted:

Remember, despite his PhD his whole job was to push a cart into some lasers. He’s basically an intern.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Sammus posted:

Remember, despite his PhD his whole job was to push a cart into some lasers. He’s basically an intern.

"What do you need a helmet for? It's like you don't want me to give you a good performance review."

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

stev posted:

Do remember that Gordon is a turbo genius. He constructed a butane powered tennis ball cannon at age 6 and his thesis was titled "Observation of Einstein-Podolsky-Rosen Entanglement on Supraquantum Structures by Induction Through Nonlinear Transuranic Crystal of Extremely Long Wavelength (ELW) Pulse from Mode-Locked Source Array"

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Do remember that Gordon is a turbo genius. He constructed a butane powered tennis ball cannon at age 6 and his thesis was titled "Observation of Einstein-Podolsky-Rosen Entanglement on Supraquantum Structures by Induction Through Nonlinear Transuranic Crystal of Extremely Long Wavelength (ELW) Pulse from Mode-Locked Source Array"

I feel like the space coma he was in between the games must have done something to his brain. By the end of the series all he can do is shoot and befriend garden gnomes.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I mean I prefer the Freeman's Mind explanation where he's actually a severe drug abuser who went more than a little crazy during the Black Mesa incident and is convinced he's working for the CIA.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Of course in his first private sector job he does get a powered armour suit that shoots him up with morphine while most of his colleagues are dead so it's not like he's on the worst career track.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Haven't quite reached Xen yet in my BM1.0 run, but the highlight so far was the reprise of the dam battle theme popping up once you get the rocket launcher. Showed that loving helicopter what for.

Came in handy for dealing with corner-humping grenade-spamming Hgrunts too :fuckoff:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Lmao, RPS just keeps getting worse and worse.

"Their Black Mesa review posted:

There are moments in levels where it’s easy to lose sight of where you’re meant to be going, or to find the exit from a combat arena. These problems would be solved in a truly modern game via player testing and layout changes, or by a friendly NPC buzzing in your ear to point you in the right direction. Or even by a big quest arrow pointing to where to go. Your objectives also make progress a slog for the game’s third quarter, from the chapters ‘On A Rail’ through to ‘Lambda Core’. There are memorable moments within, including the enormous Garg, and being thrown in a trash compactor by enemy soldiers, but the rest feels repetitive. But then, did fighting the Alien Grunts and military ninjas ever feel good?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

RPS has been a trash fire for ages now.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Tbf the ninjas in Half Life were never good.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

When I read that earlier I didn't take it as an active endorsement of those types of mechanic, just that this is how things work now. There were a few sections of the black mesa facility (in BM) that I was bumbling around trying to find the way forward and because I've lived through 2 decades of FPS iteration could feel myself getting irritated at it not being more obvious.

And would agree that Ninja's and Alien grunts were good for variety but weren't as fun to deal with as other enemies in the game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jack Trades posted:

RPS has been a trash fire for ages now.

Its sad how short lived good gaming review sites are

I remember like 20 years ago IGN was decent.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I'm pretty sure they blocked me from commenting a while back after I mocked Graham for not being able to figure out PavlovVR, a game highly popular with children.

I disagree with a lot of what John Walker says, but at least they're funny. Most of the new staff at RPS aren't insightful, they're often lazy and they're dishonest. The place has gotten pretty rotten.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Fwoderwick posted:

When I read that earlier I didn't take it as an active endorsement of those types of mechanic, just that this is how things work now. There were a few sections of the black mesa facility (in BM) that I was bumbling around trying to find the way forward and because I've lived through 2 decades of FPS iteration could feel myself getting irritated at it not being more obvious.

And would agree that Ninja's and Alien grunts were good for variety but weren't as fun to deal with as other enemies in the game.

That's exactly how I read it too, and I agree on all points. Parts of Forget About Freeman and Lambda Core are pretty boring and Black Mesa should have trimmed sections like it did with On a Rail. It's not exactly HL's failing either, because while fighting enforcers in the parking garage tunnels with the snark walls and flooding the lambda core suck in the original game, they feel way longer and more tedious with less enemy variety in Black Mesa. The new Xen is pretty but intensely gamey in places. The entire section of Xen with the parasitic nodes and leaf bridges felt like it was ripped straight out of a Metroid Prime game.

I really did enjoy loading health kits and ammo crates and explosive barrels onto the mine trams only for everything to explode and go flying the second I got up to full speed. Having the ability to dick around and mess with physics objects like HL2 is wonderful and the improved interactivity and conversational NPCs really make the whole first half of the game even better.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I passed by black mesa, arizona today. #ididit #halflife3

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Mordja posted:

Lmao, RPS just keeps getting worse and worse.

Man that's so bad what is wrong with them

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

bef posted:

I passed by black mesa, arizona today. #ididit #halflife3

I literally did the same two days ago. I should have stopped.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

sigher posted:

I literally did the same two days ago. I should have stopped.

Whered u go bro? Navajo nation is pretty coool!!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

bef posted:

Whered u go bro? Navajo nation is pretty coool!!

I drove from Cincinatti to LA, it was a bitch but fantastic.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Haha hell nice, I love american road trips. southwest us is :vince:. We live in a beautiful country Anyways sorry for deraail.

Half life 3 is coming out!!!! :blastu: :getin:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Run. Think. Shoot. Live. Throw up from motion sickness since this is a lot of people's first VR experience.

...Alyx's tagline could use some work

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

Cartoon Man posted:

Wonder if the game will end with Alyx finding Gordon near the beginning of HL2.

:munch:

Calling it - the game ends with the phrase "Doctor Freeman I presume."

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
https://youtu.be/sK_PdwL5Y8g

Half Life 2 devs watch a 50 minute speedrun incredulously. They mention a couple things about Alyx, and there are some amusing stories about development of certain areas, worth a watch if you're obsessive like me.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

"How many years did you work on that section that we just flew through in ten seconds?"

"I was a little worried we were back in the bounds of the world, but it's good that we're free again."

"This section is a lot longer than I remember."
"No one thought the airboat section was too long."
"It's been long enough, we can make fun of ourselves now."

"When my kid starts playing Half-Life 2 and gets stuck, I'm going to send him this video and tell him it's a walkthrough."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

That was great since I happened to watch a GDQ HL2 run a few weeks ago so I had a vague idea what was happening, unlike the devs :v: