Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Avalerion posted:

That sounds cool in theory but seems way overambitious for what's basically just a minigame. :ohdear:

Yeah. In terms of feature creep this could be disasterous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Picked this up a few days ago and had a couple quick questions.

1. I'm not familiar with Pathfinder itself (However I have played a fair amount of 3.5 so I understand a lot of it just from that) so I don't know just how much of a trap some choices are that weren't also in 3.5. Is Magus good?

2. Is the roguelike dungeon DLC any good? Seems interesting conceptually.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Picked this up a few days ago and had a couple quick questions.

1. I'm not familiar with Pathfinder itself (However I have played a fair amount of 3.5 so I understand a lot of it just from that) so I don't know just how much of a trap some choices are that weren't also in 3.5. Is Magus good?

2. Is the roguelike dungeon DLC any good? Seems interesting conceptually.

Everything is viable in normal/challenging (technically hard too, but requires much more optimization and stricter party composition). For convenience's sake, do not play Blight Druid or Arcane bomber.
Roguelike DLC is fun is you want to test multiple teams/character builds from the 64 archetype choices possible, and you can run through some hard gauntlets. Adds a non-randomized version in the main campaign too. I'd say go through the main game, and see how much you enjoy the character building/combat.

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss
Magus is pretty good.

Regular Magus can be a little squishy sometimes as you're looking for a lot of ability scores and while you can eventually wear heavy armor, you are stuck in light armor and then medium armor for a big chunk of the game. The Shield spell is more or less required as a self buff.

Arcane Archer magus resolves a lot of this by just removing you from the frontline and moving your Magus ability to your bow. Both of these archetypes (as well as Sword Saint) are prepared casters which gives them a lot of versatility.

Sword Saint is the core of probably the best (or one of the best) tank builds in the game. The game is pretty generous with Bracers of Armor up to +8 so non-armored dex tanks can pile absurd AC. Though of course Nat20s will always happen sometimes and hit you anyway. They are also prepared casters and get a free weapon proficiency in any weapon you choose, including Exotic weapons. They eventually get INT to AC and you can double dip that if you take Duelist levels, though this costs some spellcasting.

Eldritch Scion is basically regular magus but as a spontaneous caster using Charisma. They have similar strengths and weaknesses, but they get a bloodline which can be nice. They can dip one level of Scaled Fist Monk to get Charisma to AC which is nice since they already need CHA, though that requires Lawful. They are almost tailor made to pick up some levels of Dragon Disciple for the nice ability score boosts.

None of them are bad by any stretch, Eldritch Scion is probably the easiest to 'mess up' because your spell choices are permanent, but the game has built in re-spec now so it's not such a big deal. Though at higher levels rebuilding is inconvenient cause you can't just undo a level you have to build the character from the ground up every time.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The key thing for me was remembering that the nature of DnD is that low levels are brutal, whereas once you break into levels 4-5 you naturally get more options and the game is more forgiving of sub-optimal play.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

I finally got around to doing Varnhold’s Lot; my main file is just about to start the Season of Bloom arc, I think. I tried giving the paladin/scaled fist aasimar thing and spin and hoo boy was that pretty broken. I’m looking forward to seeing how my regular campaign ends up affected.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Chris Avellone: Narrative Paths

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/owlcatgames/pathfinder-wrath-of-the-righteous/posts/2778351

glad we have the game writing JUGGERNAUT MCA himself helping this game out

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

frajaq posted:

Chris Avellone: Narrative Paths

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/owlcatgames/pathfinder-wrath-of-the-righteous/posts/2778351

glad we have the game writing JUGGERNAUT MCA himself helping this game out

Working a repeat with the Owlcat team is nice, glad he seems to be having fun.

One thing that kickstarter and most interviews do not mention except for this one:
https://wccftech.com/pathfinder-wrath-of-the-righteous-interview-multiplayer-would-require-a-lot-of-resources/

is that he is apparently also writing one of the companions specifically, like he did with Nok-Nok. I wonder who it will be.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Kon-Kon the Nilbog

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

I do want to chime in and say that, while the reason they gave in the AMA makes sense (Summoner would require a lot of unique UI and modeling resources to implement true-to-paper compared to nearly any other class), it does weird me out a little that Summoner is now the one sole base class missing in the game from the Advanced Player's Guide. Getting stuff like Warpriest, Arcanist and Skald ahead of one of the first and most unique classes implemented in Pathfinder 1E just feels odd, even if I get it. Aside from Alchemist, Summoner was the other APG class I really wanted to see in a computer game.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I wish there weren't quite so many timers on quests in this game. None of them are very strict but there are also 'spend 14 days ranking up this advisor' bits and those tend to stack up on me as I always feel like I have something more important to be doing.

I probably don't but it ~feels~ that way and thats bad enough.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

SpaceDrake posted:

Aside from Alchemist, Summoner was the other APG class I really wanted to see in a computer game.

Monster Tactician scratched that itch for me. Reminded me a lot of the 3rd party Celestial Commander summoner archetype I played once in PnP. It completely wrecked game balance and I was told it was no longer allowed.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch

Agent355 posted:

I wish there weren't quite so many timers on quests in this game. None of them are very strict but there are also 'spend 14 days ranking up this advisor' bits and those tend to stack up on me as I always feel like I have something more important to be doing.

I probably don't but it ~feels~ that way and thats bad enough.

Yeah I'm in act2 and haven't felt safe to do hardly any of the "skips 14 days" events.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Kalas posted:

Monster Tactician scratched that itch for me. Reminded me a lot of the 3rd party Celestial Commander summoner archetype I played once in PnP. It completely wrecked game balance and I was told it was no longer allowed.

This is basically true to base Summoner as well, particularly certain archetypes. Like, if you look back in Paizo forum history, there's a reason most solo runs through APs are Summoners - their 6 spell levels are nowhere near as restricted as they really should be in terms of what and what level they get stuff, and an eidolon is significantly nastier than an animal companion if built well (to say nothing of ways to get both their eidolon and summons out a the same time).

The Unchained version kind of nerfed it a bit overall, but some of the changes are just somewhat odd and eidolons were more sidegraded than actually reduced in power.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Gooch181 posted:

Yeah I'm in act2 and haven't felt safe to do hardly any of the "skips 14 days" events.

It opens up after the bit you're on. After you finish the main quests for each Act like Troll Troubles etc you'll generally have something like 6+ months of downtime to use for those.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Just dropping in to say, 'gently caress Greater Dread Zombie Cyclopses'.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Are character side stories ever tied to actually spending time with them in your party or will you eventually get to do all of them even if there are characters you don't really use?

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Agent355 posted:

Are character side stories ever tied to actually spending time with them in your party or will you eventually get to do all of them even if there are characters you don't really use?
You don't need to have the companions in your party to trigger their quests at all, they'll come to you on their own.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch

Nephthys posted:

It opens up after the bit you're on. After you finish the main quests for each Act like Troll Troubles etc you'll generally have something like 6+ months of downtime to use for those.

That's comforting, thanks.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
By the by, out of curiosity: I've heard that there's a +4 Charisma Headband in "the spider cave in the Kamelands" which is available shortly after Chapter 2 begins.

... Where the gently caress is this theoretical cave? Is it closer to Silverstep or something?

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
I'm still trying to find even basic, non enhanced robes for my aldori main. He's holding up pretty good with some mage armor, thankfully. I'm digging my party and it breaks my heart that I have to ditch one of them to take the cartographer with me to the dwarven ruins.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

I... don't think basic, nonmagical robes exist (as an equippable item, that is), as that's just wearing regular clothing. There's a number of magical caster robes to boost elemental DCs that should be accessible at where you are now, but that doesn't sound like what you're looking for.

I want to say that in general the magical robes for unarmored melee/non-caster characters don't show up until significantly later, and so don't worry about it right now, but I could be forgetting something.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Yeah, if you're looking for "clothing armor", it's basically the bracers.

You can find one equivalent in power to Mage Armor early in chapter 2 if you go far south into the Kamelands and in Empty Skull Rock, but be ready to kill a shitload of Trollhounds.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

SpaceDrake posted:

By the by, out of curiosity: I've heard that there's a +4 Charisma Headband in "the spider cave in the Kamelands" which is available shortly after Chapter 2 begins.

... Where the gently caress is this theoretical cave? Is it closer to Silverstep or something?

I know the one, I think it's past the first bridge from the barony and all the way to the right around the mountains, a dead end I believe because an artisan quest sends you in that area later and I was quite displeased being out of my teleportation grid

It's Ironstone Gully and a living hell filled with primal spiders but the headband should be in the less hellish centipede section

Perfect Potato fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Mar 8, 2020

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

On RotW news, what would people be interested in for the remaining two companions? I'm almost certain one will be an Arcanist (or Nurah I guess, if she is a potential companion), simply due to the currently known party*, but ??? about the other one. I think I'd like a Druid companion, simply because without one it'd mean they've gotten no representation two games running, but there is definitely already a heavy saturation of Divine and/or WIS-based casters.

*: Basically, as displayed in the PAX video, of the 4 companions shown the only one to exceed INT 10 was the Paladin. Of the remaining companions, unless casting stats are being shifted around for like Camellia's new archetype, the only one that's actually INT-focused is Woljif (the Eldritch Scoundrel). This... is a problem, because it basically means that if you want to make Lore checks for Arcane/World, you either have to either use that one companion, or make an INT-focused class yourself. Arueshalae will likely have massive stats (unless nerfed for companion balancing purposes), including INT, too of course, but that's getting pretty deep in the game.

A reminder of Arue's stats in the module at time of encounter, sans gear: STR 18, DEX 21, CON 24, INT 18, WIS 12, CHA 29

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Lord Koth posted:

On RotW news, what would people be interested in for the remaining two companions? I'm almost certain one will be an Arcanist (or Nurah I guess, if she is a potential companion), simply due to the currently known party*, but ??? about the other one. I think I'd like a Druid companion, simply because without one it'd mean they've gotten no representation two games running, but there is definitely already a heavy saturation of Divine and/or WIS-based casters.

*: Basically, as displayed in the PAX video, of the 4 companions shown the only one to exceed INT 10 was the Paladin. Of the remaining companions, unless casting stats are being shifted around for like Camellia's new archetype, the only one that's actually INT-focused is Woljif (the Eldritch Scoundrel). This... is a problem, because it basically means that if you want to make Lore checks for Arcane/World, you either have to either use that one companion, or make an INT-focused class yourself. Arueshalae will likely have massive stats (unless nerfed for companion balancing purposes), including INT, too of course, but that's getting pretty deep in the game.

A reminder of Arue's stats in the module at time of encounter, sans gear: STR 18, DEX 21, CON 24, INT 18, WIS 12, CHA 29

Well, she will not have monster HD this time, so I doubt it will be this stupid.
If I had to guess, the last party member will be bard (or maybe retooled to a skald now) to serve as party support and skillmonkey.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
I want some of the really weird splats to get put in, so I can play an Oracle of Cthulhu or a nanite-blooded sorcerer.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

How many front-liners are there so far? Seelah and the Hellknight for sure, but other than that we just have a cleric, maybe Woljif and possibly the aasimar as a Battle oracle going by the artwork.

Theres a whole lotta divine casters, thats for sure. I agree that Bloodrager and Arcanist seem the most likely to round out the cast. I'm still not sure what I'M going to play though. I don't like doubling up with companions but if they take all the new interesting classes what am I to do?! :qq:

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Mar 8, 2020

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Nephthys posted:

How many front-liners are there so far? Seelah and the Hellknight for sure, but other than that we just have a cleric, maybe Woljif and possibly the aasimar as a Battle oracle going by the artwork.

Theres a whole lotta divine casters, thats for sure. I agree that Bloodrager and Arcanist seem the most likely to round out the cast. I'm still not sure what I'M going to play though. I don't like doubling up with companions but if they take all the new interesting classes what am I to do?! :qq:

Well, it is very likely that the last male companion is a dwarf rogue/assassin of sorts. He appears near the end of the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seP0biE1GMM. It matches with some of the info/quotes they posted in the romance update. And if they do a decent work with the extra archetypes , there will be little overlap. Like, reg is not tsealing your thunder if you play sword saint after all.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Is there a list of all the companions so far somewhere or do you have to comb trough kickstarter updates.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Avalerion posted:

Is there a list of all the companions so far somewhere or do you have to comb trough kickstarter updates.

Pretty much confirmed
>Male
Lann The Man - Mongrel Monk (zen archer)
Reggil - Bleached gnome Armiger/Hellknight probably
Daeran -Aasimar Oracle
Sosiel -Human Cleric
Wojif - Thiefling Eldritch Scoundrel

>Female
Seelah- Iconic Human Paladin
Ember> Elf Witch (Stigmatized witch, custom for the game)
Camelia> Half-elf Shaman(Spirit Hunter, custom for the game)
Arushalae> Succubus Ranger(Custom archetype for the game that use CHA instead of WIS)

Possible male companion:
Greybor - Dwarf (maybe rogue/ assassin)

We lack any kind of hint for the last companion, who is most likely a female one(if we assume parity for love interests).

JamMasterJim fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Mar 8, 2020

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

I just got the game and I'm probably going to play a sorcerer. What are some must-have spells?

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

UrbicaMortis posted:

I just got the game and I'm probably going to play a sorcerer. What are some must-have spells?

I pretty much always take Mage Armor from the start. Gotta keep yourself alive after all. The Enlarge/Reduce Person spells can also be useful for leveling the playing field in certain fights.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Grease is a godsend for the early game

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

UrbicaMortis posted:

Level 1: Grease, Color Spray, Magic Missile .
Level 2: Blur, Invisibility.
Level 3: Haste, Dispel Magic, Stinking Cloudm Displacement
Level 4: Animate Dead, Greater Invisibility

There are other ones that can be quite useful, like Mage Armor, Enlarge Person, Expeditious retreat for lv 1, Scorching Ray, Hideous Laughter, Glitterdust, Boneshaker and Blindness for Lv2, Heroism, Hold Person, Slow from lv 3 , the various Summon Monster and Resist/Protect from energy etc
But quite a few can be covered from your companions (arcane casters or clerics/divine casters), so consider who you bring with you, what you think you can cover with scrolls, potions, wands etc.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Cool, thanks everyone.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

UrbicaMortis posted:

Depends on what sort of spell caster you want to be but I'm a big fan of Mirror Image. If you can't get your AC super high (or don't want to) why not roll the dice and hope a mirror image catches an arrow instead?

Icy Prison and Icy Prison, Mass are crazy strong.

Stinking Cloud is fantastic if you have Delay Poison on your team.

Don't use baleful polymorph. You can't loot people you baleful polymorph.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

JamMasterJim posted:

Ember> Elf Witch (Stigmatized witch, custom for the game)

Oof, she'd better be a very distinct type of Witch. Witch is obviously the class all people on Earth are planning on using as their PC so it's a bit annoying to make one of our companions curbing our style.

I'm 178 hours into Kingmaker, right now I'm in a pleasant lull where I'm free to build my kinggom and stuff. I think I like this game, lol. Got me an evil lich advisor, my Lawful Evil kingdom is serene, things are looking up for the Bone Zone.

Combat has been trivial for too long now, though. Partially my fault for having OP class builds, but it just seems odd even when enemies get like 8x stats, they still die before I can even cast a cool spell. Did finally run into some real opposition last night exploring the Tenebrous Depths. Still managed to beat them but I did have to reload and actually buff up my team and position them a little. I have most of the difficulty things pushed up, except for ones that just seem like annoying or would waste time. I.e. not interested in reloading a save because some dingbat died permanently to a random trap or critical hit or whatever.

Is this difficulty curve of the game just wonky no matter what or on a second play-through would it be better to play fewer munchkins?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Khanstant posted:

Oof, she'd better be a very distinct type of Witch. Witch is obviously the class all people on Earth are planning on using as their PC

Iiiiii... am not as confident of that as you. And besides, there are like 10 companions and they all have to have a class, and each of those classes will be what somebody out there is wanting to play. That's why there are 10 of them and only 6 party slots.

quote:

Is this difficulty curve of the game just wonky no matter what or on a second play-through would it be better to play fewer munchkins?

It's wonky as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Cheers for the companion listing. Witches seem to be pretty much wizards + some debuffs via hexes and shamans seem to be druids without the shapeshifting, right? No idea what to make of oracles.

Have we seen whether any of them gets a pet?