Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Ceebees posted:

Yeah, it's assigned to the supreme HQ, and i built the factory on a rail line. Still nada.

E - I definitely have the tech for tanks and planes and guns, and have been building all of those from cities for a while now.

Okay, click on the word where it says "Airplane." This should pop up further options for construction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

habituallyred posted:

Okay, click on the word where it says "Airplane."

I'm at work at the moment, but i've really been phenomenally dumb, haven't i? I mean, i'll plead that i was thrown by how every other build menu has some item selected by default and this one doesn't, but, wow.

E: yuuup. Well, thanks for the assist, all the same.

Ceebees fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Mar 4, 2020

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Ultimate Admiral: Age of Sail is out in Early Access on Steam now.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Popete posted:

Ultimate Admiral: Age of Sail is out in Early Access on Steam now.

I might wait on this one. Also why on earth would you include ground combat in this?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
It's basically a mash up of their two previous games, Ultimate General: Civil War and Naval Action.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It does actually make sense. A huge part of Age of Sail naval combat was actually shore operations. I bought the dreadnought game though and I don't feel the need to get both at full price.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
it's still weird to me that they are making two games at the same time.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I'm still looking forward to Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnought but I'm a little worried that based on a quick scan of the official forums it's mostly people loudly pushing for forcing designs to follow history instead of what it should be, which is letting me design the kind of poo poo Jackie Fisher would come up with after a bad acid trip.

Let me make crazy designs dammit :mad:

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I'm still looking forward to Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnought but I'm a little worried that based on a quick scan of the official forums it's mostly people loudly pushing for forcing designs to follow history instead of what it should be, which is letting me design the kind of poo poo Jackie Fisher would come up with after a bad acid trip.

Let me make crazy designs dammit :mad:

Yeah I don't want restrictions in the builder. If they model the game well though I'm happy to be punished by the simulation. Yes, the builder let me put 8 triple barrel turrets on all ahead of the superstructure, and only the first 6 are flooded at speeds above 3 knots!

Ultimate Kerbal: Dreadnaught

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I just want Rule the Waves with 3d graphics and maybe a better campaign system (more countries, AI vs AI wars, etc).

And yes, I do think a campaign mode should have historical restrictions based on research and stuff similar to Rule the Waves . However the game should also have a "build crazy poo poo" game mode.

BTW did NWS ever make RTW2 worth a drat?

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I just want Rule the Waves with 3d graphics and maybe a better campaign system (more countries, AI vs AI wars, etc).

And yes, I do think a campaign mode should have historical restrictions based on research and stuff similar to Rule the Waves . However the game should also have a "build crazy poo poo" game mode.

No it's a mess

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Splode posted:

This. This is the perfect description I've been looking for to post on their forums. This is the game I want.

They should make it possible to set exactly where in the hull the main belt starts and ends, and where the magazines are and the machinery spaces. They should make the aft superstructure able to clip into the front structure so we get a seamless whole.
That's it. Do that and the design game is complete, only campaign left and then the game is exceptional.

Btw, RTW2 will get missiles in the next update. poo poo's about to get much messier.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Splode posted:

Yeah I don't want restrictions in the builder. If they model the game well though I'm happy to be punished by the simulation. Yes, the builder let me put 8 triple barrel turrets on all ahead of the superstructure, and only the first 6 are flooded at speeds above 3 knots!

Fear Bob and Dread naught Jeb.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The main difference from RTW1 is the air stuff, which I don’t find particularly fun - it’s cool in theory but fiddly and click-heavy in practice.

The game is fun but very little of that fun is actually incremental to RTW1.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

sum posted:

Any advice for nice low-complexity scenarios for idiots who just downloaded the game?

Try Fulda 55

Tunisia 42-43 is maybe okay because it has a very low unit count, then the units trickle-in one by one over the course of the rest of the game, but that comes with its own quirks because it's difficult to form a front line.

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007
I wanted a big red title but I'm getting a small white one instead.

Splode posted:

Children of a Wet Earth

How fleshed out is the game right now? I was thinking of maybe picking it up on payday.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
The US civil war scenario for TOAW is wack and makes some arbitrary design calls. It’s also probably over fifteen years old at this point. I’d make my own but :effort:

Mori
Mar 6, 2003
Can anyone give me a bit of advice about Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnoughts? I'm confused about how many funnels I need on my ships, and how exactly they affect performance.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Mori posted:

Can anyone give me a bit of advice about Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnoughts? I'm confused about how many funnels I need on my ships, and how exactly they affect performance.

As you put funnel on your ship look at the engine efficiency (or funnel efficiency? ) stat on the right. It mainly effects acceleration I think.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
I desperately want to buy Ultimate Admiral: Age of sail but am going to try to force myself to hold off.

I’m so sick of early access games and might burn myself out before the full thing gets released like I did with civil war.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK
Steam downloaded an update to DC:B for me today, and the Matrix website shows that v1.05.6 was released, but I can't find any patch notes. Anyone know what changed?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

ZekeNY posted:

Steam downloaded an update to DC:B for me today, and the Matrix website shows that v1.05.6 was released, but I can't find any patch notes. Anyone know what changed?

Balancing
- Train Nazi will now be 20% more pissed when you side with Truck Nazi
- Increased the requirements for convincing Hitler that winter is indeed coming and might be cold in Russia
- Increased the amount of fuel Goering uses to ship snacks to his office
- Himmler is now 50% more petty

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

It fixes some of the rail decisions; fixing infrastructure now increases rail effort, not decreased it

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Aurora C# feature's news:

http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg119332#msg119332

quote:

Prototype Components

When designing components in the Create Research Project window or the Turret window, you have the option of the Prototype button instead of the Create button. Prototype components are researched instantly and are available in the class design window, where they will appear with a (P) suffix. There is a display toggle on the class design window for prototype components.

Prototypes can be obsoleted to remove from the display. In this case, they will only appear if both the obsolete and prototype options are checked.

On the turret window, prototype energy weapons will be displayed with a (P) suffix. Any turret containing a prototype energy weapon can only be a prototype. The Create button will be unavailable.

If a class contains a prototype component, it will be displayed with a (P) suffix on the class tree and in the class summary on the Class Design window. A shipyard cannot be retooled for a class that contains prototype components.

Prototypes will allow you to try out different class designs without having to research all the potential components.

This will make ship design wayy smoother.
Shame about overcomplicated ground forces design :(

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

OddObserver posted:

Aurora C# feature's news:

http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg119332#msg119332

This will make ship design wayy smoother.
Shame about overcomplicated ground forces design :(

This is very cool and makes it so I don't have to do my 'spacemaster cheat myself the part to test design, delete spacemaster part and research' dance.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

uPen posted:

This is very cool and makes it so I don't have to do my 'spacemaster cheat myself the part to test design, delete spacemaster part and research' dance.

When I was doing my LP, I was also working on a standalone tool that one could use to prototype parts and ship design, so I'm glad that functionality is now in the base game.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I just hosed up in real time instead - that's true gameplay

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Bought and refunded Strategic Command WW1. AI turns taking 10-15 minutes is some pride of nations bullshit I don't have the patience for anymore.

The Geoff
Oct 11, 2009
The simulation of land combat in WITP is generally regarded as pretty terrible. Are there any games which simulate WW2 land combat particularly well?

Particularly interested in operational- or strategic-level games which do a good job of simulating human factors like leadership, initiative, morale, etc. rather than just counting rifles.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

The Geoff posted:

The simulation of land combat in WITP is generally regarded as pretty terrible. Are there any games which simulate WW2 land combat particularly well?

Particularly interested in operational- or strategic-level games which do a good job of simulating human factors like leadership, initiative, morale, etc. rather than just counting rifles.

Command Ops 2?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

That, any of the Decisive Campaigns games.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
I wish there was a grognard-y version of a game like shattered union

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Top Hats Monthly posted:

i wish shattered union worked on systems with more than 4gb of ram

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

i wish shattered union worked on systems with more than 4gb of ram

There's a couple fixes that allow it to work on modern systems/Windows 10. Check the Steam forums.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
i wish Tigers on the Hunt would get an expansion for the ASL Pacific rules

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

gradenko_2000 posted:

i wish Tigers on the Hunt would get an expansion for the ASL Pacific rules

I wish Tigers On The Hunt were good

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://store.steampowered.com/app/963870/Valor__Victory/

It does look like there's someone else trying to do an ASL conversion

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/963870/Valor__Victory/

It does look like there's someone else trying to do an ASL conversion

Which is funny because some of his other titles are published by Slitherine.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Couldn't one just lift the setting from Shattered Union and make a series of scenarios for it in an engine like ATG, TOAW4, or CMO?

I mean yeah it wouldn't be the same turn-based tactics game as Shattered Union but it at least gets halfway there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
TOAW4 even already has a Modern American Civil War scenario.

I remember Harpoon used to have an ACW2 scenario that leveraged the fact that the North Atlantic map covered the Eastern seaboard, so you'd have a "Union" CVBG based out of Norfolk Virginia and land-based air out of Patuxent River etc., and a "Confederate" CVBG based out of King's Bay and land-based air out of Corpus Christi and so on. Maybe there's something like that in CMANO?