Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
DOOM ANIMAL CROSSING MARCH TWENTIETH
This poll is closed.
DOOM 39 13.36%
ANIMAL CROSSING 41 14.04%
DOOM ANIMAL CROSSING 84 28.77%
Melinda Megamelons and her gang of busty felons (Inc Bowsette) 56 19.18%
hotgirl69 72 24.66%
Total: 292 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

BOTW2 is going to be great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

"i want more games in this style" and "oh that game is just a boring clone" seems a fine line to walk

all i can say is la is literally my favorite zelda and lttp is way up there as well and ive never been able to make it more than a couple of hours into lbw

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Andrast posted:

cut out half the map thats just fields, keep areas like death mountain and the jungle and gerudo desert, make the remaining areas interesting like that, remove korok seeds, roll up shrines and beasts into dungeons, more sidon, more of characters in general because they were great but drowned out in hours of open world nothing, remove durability so i can actually shield surf around and fight camps without being punished.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Stux posted:

cut out half the map thats just fields, keep areas like death mountain and the jungle and gerudo desert, make the remaining areas interesting like that, remove korok seeds, roll up shrines and beasts into dungeons, more sidon, more of characters in general because they were great but drowned out in hours of open world nothing, remove durability so i can actually shield surf around and fight camps without being punished.

No don't do that

ok more sidon and more characters is ok

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
keep durability but add more weapon storage so you can stock up on snowboards, sandboards, and wakeboards

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
also toilet paper

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i fired up devil may cry 5 for the first time this weekend and i'm sure me and it are going to get along just fine but i'm annoyed with it because i made like 10 attempts to get an S rank on the prologue/tutorial mission and couldn't get it and think it might be one of those things you're supposed to come back and do once you have all your upgrades and i hate it when games do that

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

also annoyed with myself because all the enemies' attacks so far are so insanely telegraphed a million years in advance i keep dodging way too early and getting hit stupidly

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

also annoyed with nero's gun because you "reload" it to charge it this time around but releasing the charge necessarily means you fire off the first set of bullets so it's impossible to have a fully loaded revolver without having to hold the fire button

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

also annoyed with nero's gun because you "reload" it to charge it this time around but releasing the charge necessarily means you fire off the first set of bullets so it's impossible to have a fully loaded revolver without having to hold the fire button

it has been too long since i played but there are in fact ways to do it without firing off the first shot.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Andrast posted:

As great as BOTW2 could potentially be, if they don't remove weapon durability or give some kind of option to avoid it (I'm fine with a weaker but permanent sword) then it's just not gonna be the game for me.

Though really none of the non-top down Zeldas do it for me at all. I don't like OoT or Majora's Mask. I love Link's Awakening and Link Between Worlds. But the weapon durability thing is just not for me

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Phantasium posted:

it has been too long since i played but there are in fact ways to do it without firing off the first shot.

i have been informed that you can dodge or devil bringer to prevent the shot going off but i do not have a dodge or devil bringer with which to do so

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Is it really bad karma to cheer on stock market crashes or the death of Bitcoin? :thunk:

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Stux posted:

remembering with anger the one time botw rewarded me with something cool for exploring when i found the weird double face horse thing and then immediately punished me for having fun by saying that i couldnt stable it, arbitrarily.

also remembering that for half my playthrough my horse was stuck between two rocks.

That was Iwata's reincarnation. You can't stable the guy.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Grouchio posted:

Is it really bad karma to cheer on stock market crashes or the death of Bitcoin? :thunk:

no

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

i have been informed that you can dodge or devil bringer to prevent the shot going off but i do not have a dodge or devil bringer with which to do so

i think if let go during a specific part of a taunt it'll not fire, too.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Andrast posted:

No don't do that

ok more sidon and more characters is ok

dont make interesting areas in your open world game is a weird line to take but you do you

putting like 8 dungeons into the map wouldve been great, expanding the beast gimmicks wouldve been amazing, the beasts were really cool but by the time you did what would be the intro normally to a dungeon gimmick it was over. hunting down shrines after all the obvious easy ones became tedious and every single combat shrine is literally junk content and should be deleted. putting durability on stuff and then tying inventory side to a ubisoft level collectible sucks. just let me use the cool weapons and surf on my shield stop punishing me for enjoying the game.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Grouchio posted:

I don't think the idiot true believers are going to stop doing anything with bitcoin because of this

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i'm glad botw had no dungeons. probably a big part of why it's the only zelda game i actually like

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

now i'm just working on a pun or portmanteau for nergigante <-> nero-v-dante

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
The coolest thing botw did was absolutely destroy the people who treat games like a checklist they need to tick all the boxes on.

Shrine feels tedious? Then don't do it lmao

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Stux posted:

dont make interesting areas in your open world game is a weird line to take but you do you

putting like 8 dungeons into the map wouldve been great, expanding the beast gimmicks wouldve been amazing, the beasts were really cool but by the time you did what would be the intro normally to a dungeon gimmick it was over. hunting down shrines after all the obvious easy ones became tedious and every single combat shrine is literally junk content and should be deleted. putting durability on stuff and then tying inventory side to a ubisoft level collectible sucks. just let me use the cool weapons and surf on my shield stop punishing me for enjoying the game.

This echoes my sentiment, the last time i tried to give BotW a fair shake i was just about enjoying myself, found my first shrine in ages and got quite excited till I realised it was my first encounter with a combat shrine. Switched it off that day and havn't looked back.

There is a lot I could like about that game but none of it involves fighting things.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

SeXReX posted:

The coolest thing botw did was absolutely destroy the people who treat games like a checklist they need to tick all the boxes on.

My only problem with the shrines was that there was a bit too much loading and other unskippable stuff going on if you did multiple in a relatively quick succession

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Grouchio posted:

You can cheer so long as you are mindful of all the people who will be hurt by it

At least in the case of the stock market, anyone who would be hurt by a Bitcoin crash deserves it

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Grouchio posted:

Ultra rich people being hurt are a good thing, they all deserve death for their greed and not caring about who they hurt, and in a lot of cases killed in order to make money. Stock market crashes though typically only result in working class people being laid off and losing everything well before any wealthy people lose anything at all. When the 2008 crash happened for example, all of those big bank executives that lost their jobs, left with 100 million dollar bonuses, and their failed banks were bailed out.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Looper posted:

keep durability but add more weapon storage so you can stock up on snowboards, sandboards, and wakeboards

That’s a good point. I like the weapon durability in BotW and I think it serves a very important purpose. However, that system caused friction when it ran up against the fact of some weapons having a utility rather than being simply a thing to hit enemies with.

Having an incentive to pick up and use all the weapons you find and switch mid-battle: good. Needing to give up one of your few weapon slots just to have a torch: bad.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

https://twitter.com/dominicknero/status/1236832187108020232?s=19

E. Seems like the biggest failure of botw was communicating that riding your shield on snow or sand does not have any durability cost

SeXReX fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Mar 9, 2020

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Good to see VG back from vacation.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

SeXReX posted:

But some of us have a pathological need to make numbers get full!

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

CottonWolf posted:

But some of us have a pathological need to make numbers get full!

Seems like they'd be best served with a Sudoku app

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

SeXReX posted:

i hate games as checklists and the fact that the only real content in botw was in the shrines meant that them becoming tedious very early on left me with a completely empty world where my options were to just do the story where all i got were four very tiny mini dungeon puzzles or dehumanise myself and face to shrines. what made it even worse was a lot of the non-combat and non-motion control shrines were genuinely good, and i wanted to do the stuff they had in them but the process of getting to them was like eating sawdust because it was just filler to me. the other problem was universal with the beasts and the shrines both introducing fun puzzle concepts but then never being able to actually expand on those because everything was short and disconnected, instead of a normal dungeon where a concept can be introduced, developed and have lots of complexity built onto it over the entire thing.

the other problem with it doing checklist stuff was the idiotic korok seeds which were non-content but if you didnt at least get some of them you were heavily punished because of the bizarre durability system. you needed to get some inventory upgrades so you werent reduced to just using garbage clubs endlessly.

Ariong posted:

That’s a good point. I like the weapon durability in BotW and I think it serves a very important purpose. However, that system caused friction when it ran up against the fact of some weapons having a utility rather than being simply a thing to hit enemies with.

Having an incentive to pick up and use all the weapons you find and switch mid-battle: good. Needing to give up one of your few weapon slots just to have a torch: bad.

the purpose is busy work and not letting you play the way you want. i dont want to use bad weapons i dont like because of durability. theres tons of fun weapons in botw but most of them are a pain to collect so you can use regularly without grinding while the game throws a mountain of boring weapons at you throughout the game with the clubs and stuff early on, and the guardian trade in stuff late game. just let me use stuff. the other annoying thing was having scaling so early weapons became useless because of numbers. thats not fun. just let me use stuff. let me carry around 20 different weapons and mess around with them. dont punish me for wanting to do that.

SeXReX posted:

E. Seems like the biggest failure of botw was communicating that riding your shield on snow or sand does not have any durability cost

it should not have any durability cost on any material, even if they had to have durability its so inexplicable that something so genuinely fun and cool was limited. theres no reason for it. it would be like if mario odyssey had given cappy a cooldown if you had spent too long rolling down hills. odyssey is like the anti-botw in that it has big open levels and a ridiculous amount of moons but it never feels like its trying to force you to do anything, youre given the most expansive movelist marios ever had to just mess around in a ton of varied areas and the large amount of collectibles work as completely optional because the main storyline has plenty of content alone. and you do end up wanting to find the collectibles because each level is so fantastically designed and playing as mario is insanely fun and you arent punished for using the tools available to you with artifical limits.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

What I want from a game with BotW's durability system is just more variety in weapons. One of my major issues with BotW's durability--and to be clear I like the idea of the system overall and adore BotW as a total package--is that it felt like it was intended to make me use a variety of weapons, but weapons were pretty samey. There are functionally three weapon types in BotW (one-handed swinging, two-handed swinging, two-handed thrusting) with a couple of gimmick variants with the same move set but one special property (boomerang weapons that can come back if you throw them, wands with the one-handed swinging move set but they shoot projectiles).

If there were more move sets and a wider variety in what weapons actually do, I think having to switch regularly would be more fun and exciting.

I also think there should be less vertical progression in weapon damage and enemy health so that there's less pressure to hold onto or stockpile particularly strong weapons, or that your non-weapon attacks like the bomb rune would scale better so there are more viable ways to fight enemies in the late game than "hit them with your strongest weapons." In the late game, it's pretty easy to stockpile strong weapons like the top-level Guardian weapons, and it's really incentivized because enemies end up with a ton of health. Just using whatever you pick up starts to feel kind of bad at that point when you could take a few minutes and get four or five laser swords between big combat sessions. If enemy health didn't scale quite so steeply (and neither did weapon damage), it could be more about variety in form and function than variety in effectiveness.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Mar 9, 2020

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

make weapons fun to use for different reasons or in different situations. that's how i would do it instead of losing weapons every 10 hits

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

I think I've gotten like 4 or 5 more moons than required to finish the story?

They made the most fun Mario mechanics have the most tedious mind numbing reasons to use them

Lmao @ groundpounding 200 glowing circles

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

SeXReX posted:

I think I've gotten like 4 or 5 more moons than required to finish the story?

They made the most fun Mario mechanics have the most tedious mind numbing reasons to use them

Lmao @ groundpounding 200 glowing circles

obviously some people like doing that stuff, which is the same reason botw has 900 "put rock in hole" seeds, but the difference between the two is mario has insane level variety and a huge amount of those moons arent actually just groundpound circles or whatever, theyre just for exploring or messing around, or little challenges, and it doesnt limit you in playing. mario never runs out of jump durability and makes you go find a new pair of shoes. and even if all you do is follow the story and grab the moons it breadcrumbs you its still extremely fun and engaging, while botw if you just barrel down the story and refuse to look at the shrines is absolutely anemic.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Harrow posted:

What I want from a game with BotW's durability system is just more variety in weapons. One of my major issues with BotW's durability--and to be clear I like the idea of the system overall and adore BotW as a total package--is that it felt like it was intended to make me use a variety of weapons, but weapons were pretty samey. There are functionally three weapon types in BotW (one-handed swinging, two-handed swinging, two-handed thrusting) with a couple of gimmick variants with the same move set but one special property (boomerang weapons that can come back if you throw them, wands with the one-handed swinging move set but they shoot projectiles).

If there were more move sets and a wider variety in what weapons actually do, I think having to switch regularly would be more fun and exciting.

I also think there should be less vertical progression in weapon damage and enemy health so that there's less pressure to hold onto or stockpile particularly strong weapons, or that your non-weapon attacks like the bomb rune would scale better so there are more viable ways to fight enemies in the late game than "hit them with your strongest weapons." In the late game, it's pretty easy to stockpile strong weapons like the top-level Guardian weapons, and it's really incentivized because enemies end up with a ton of health. Just using whatever you pick up starts to feel kind of bad at that point when you could take a few minutes and get four or five laser swords between big combat sessions. If enemy health didn't scale quite so steeply (and neither did weapon damage), it could be more about variety in form and function than variety in effectiveness.

Yeah just give me more different weapons and enemies

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Enemy variety is my only major BOTW complaint. Where the gently caress are the Darknuts, tektites, or even peahats

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i wanna see iron knuckles again, those were cool

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

iron darkknucktites

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.