Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
Everyone here just calls it coronavirus. WHO was way too late with their official branding, corona is going to stick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

EimiYoshikawa posted:

I have little sympathy for their attempt to dodge the perceived bad PR of having the disease associated with Wuhan and/or China.
How about all the actual Chinese human being i, including those in countries other than China, who are being treated as disease vectors? It's bad now, but if you call it the China Virus you've put the stigma permanently into the language.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Well if you've got travel health insurance they will go through hell or high water to get you back to Canada instead of having to pay for your treatment in the US.

My grandfather got sick in Florida a few years ago and the insurance company paid for both a private medivac flight for him back to Canada, as well as paying to have an employee collect and ship all of his things back up instead of having surgery done in the US.

They'll do that even if you're from the US. My mom's friend (a doctor, even) fell and broke her hip in Italy. The insurance flew someone to Italy out to examine her, then flew out a whole team and chartered a private jet to fly her back to the states. It cost her an extra $50,000 cash on top of the coverage to do this. The whole thing sounded insane.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Arsenic Lupin posted:

How about all the actual Chinese human being i, including those in countries other than China, who are being treated as disease vectors? It's bad now, but if you call it the China Virus you've put the stigma permanently into the language.

Problem solved by replacing all names everywhere whether personal or national with randomised alphanumeric strings.

Congradulations on your new name xy4-pdg-8a

Alternatively: don't get offended on behalf of other people who didn't ask you to.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

mike12345 posted:

Wet market sounds like cyberpunk poo poo where I can buy eyes and stuff.

It is literally that.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

DancingShade posted:

Problem solved by replacing all names everywhere whether personal or national with randomised alphanumeric strings.

Congradulations on your new name xy4-pdg-8a
A+ straw man there.

Angelman syndrome used to be called, no lie, "happy puppet syndrome", because the doctors who saw this genetic illness first thought the children with it looked like happy puppets. (Angelman isn't a description, it's the name of the first person to describe it.) Down syndrome used to be called "mongoloid idiocy", because descriptions with baked-in eugenics are fun and useful. "Legionnaires disease" showed up first (as far as we know) at a Legionnaires convention, where the real problem was not the dudes in the funny hats but the hotel water supply. The first name for what we now call HIV was "Gay-Related Immune Disorder".

The WHO is trying to avoid bullshit like those names going on into the future.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gb7_JsmxJ9g

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

TheJanitor posted:

Specifically at that briefing they said if they take action too soon then people might get "fatigued" and it won't last through the peak of infections. Or that we could take action and stop it now, but the country would just get re-infected again later in the year, moving the peak of infections from summer to winter, loving the NHS even more. Maybe there's some merit to both of those points? The second one certainly sounds like they think the solution is to get everyone infected and be immune (and/or dead) by the end of summer.

I'd be more inclined to believe that if we didn't have a Prime Minister who's infamously lazy and irresponsible. He just doesn't want to bring in emergency measures now because people would not see the point, get stroppy and blame him. The bit about people getting 'fatigued' gives it away; it translates into: "Our elderly voter base will throw a fit if their routines are interrupted in any way, so let's leave things until they're clamoring for Something To Be Done and we'll step in then."

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Galewolf posted:

Also, lol, if "There is a deadly virus out there and you can protect yourself by MEDITATING AND RUBBING ESSENTIAL OILS (using our carefully placed ads and affiliate links, of course)" isn't the most late stage capitalism thing ever, I don't know what it is. :stare:

Well, at least they didn't forget to tell people wash their hands before mentioning reiki gurus for money.

I've heard good things about forsythia.

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tree Bucket posted:

I’ve heard good things about forsythia.

I keep hearing that the true cure is Coca Cola Classic (tm)

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Holy poo poo Italy just banned public gatherings.

Can someone catch me up on why Italy is so hosed in particular by COVID? Did it just get there earlier?

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

smoobles posted:

Can someone catch me up on why Italy is so hosed in particular by COVID? Did it just get there earlier?

They have one of if not THE oldest populations in Europe and the population is very dense, most live in very crowded cities. This makes them especially vulnerable.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

The genetic evidence suggest Italy got some cases in mid to late Jan. that were undetected. Of course, that's based on the genetic models and probability. But it would make sense given how many surprise cases popped up in Feb.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Shaocaholica posted:

Buying 1 or 2 masks for everyone in your household seems fine to me. Buying 100 masks for everyone is not.

You're not using the masks properly if you're not disposing of the mask every time you take it off and replacing it with a clean one

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Their average age is 45 vs. 35 or 38 in the USA. I think they had a huge influx of people with it all at once, which was like 500, right? Or am I misremembering.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Has there been any further development of the connection between covid and smoking?

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
https://www.ksl.com/article/46727977/person-diagnosed-with-covid-19-attended-byu-basketball-game-health-department-says

Welp looks like I'm toast.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

smoobles posted:

Italy is just a bit further ahead. Every country that doesn't act decisively will be another Italy if left long enough.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

poverty goat posted:

You're not using the masks properly if you're not disposing of the mask every time you take it off and replacing it with a clean one

Why they get clogged up with viruses or something?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

CassandraZara posted:

I keep hearing that the true cure is Coca Cola Classic (tm)

The stock market disagrees, because Coca Cola plunged 6 more percent today.

Lucky for Coca Cola businesses that sell sugary sweets tend to do well during recessions. So if that gets officially declared they should be golden.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Griefor posted:

Italy is just a bit further ahead. Every country that doesn't act decisively will be another Italy if left long enough.

Can't wait for France to try it.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Is there any reliable critique anywhere of China's drastically reduced number of cases recently? I want to believe it's true that they're past the worst of it, but tbh I absolutely don't trust the numbers they put out.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Call it the China Syndrome. That way you're actually taking a preexisting term and making it less scary.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
20 people from march 1st to march 9th in NYC isn't terrible. I guess the real test is the third week of march.

Or if you're in the future like I am, also known as The Great Purge of March.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Apparently the average age of the people who've died from it in Italy is 81.4. If that's the average then there must be a shitload of really old people in Italy, goddamn.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
All indications are that if you're old, which generally includes a lot of aggravating conditions, it dunks on you pretty drat fast. Preexisting conditions in general are pretty bad on this one.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Bardeh posted:

Apparently the average age of the people who've died from it in Italy is 81.4. If that's the average then there must be a shitload of really old people in Italy, goddamn.

it's just that no one else is dying

FlamingLiberal posted:

Look at that age range for the deaths reported in Italy today

https://twitter.com/ViralRNA/status/1236721791650934786

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Bardeh posted:

*throws whiskey into campfire*

there were

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Bardeh posted:

You never heard about the Mediterranean diet?

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Shaocaholica posted:

Why they get clogged up with viruses or something?

Pretty much. And then you're providing them with a warm, moist environment.

Ideally, if you wear a mask you dispose of it after a single use and wash both your hands and your face before touching anything else.

That said, when I was in hospital a couple of weeks ago they had me mask whenever I had to leave my isolation room because it wouldn't be practical to have everyone I might come within a few feet of mask.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

You never heard about the Mediterranean diet?

seems like it's no match for the roni

E: here's today's breakdown from Italy btw

https://twitter.com/ViralRNA/status/1237084982922936321?s=19

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Mar 9, 2020

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Can't wait for France to try it.

France just did

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

zer0spunk posted:

20 people from march 1st to march 9th in NYC isn't terrible. I guess the real test is the third week of march.

Or if you're in the future like I am, also known as The Great Purge of March.
As others have mentioned, the number of actual cases has to be way higher by now, but there are just not enough tests available so we won't know until it's already everywhere

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

smoobles posted:

I hear it's because a-somebody touch-a my spaghet.

This infection route may only affect bears though.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

OMFG FURRY posted:

is it really that hard to call it corvid-19

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
China people aint gonna be saying 'corvid' shi-jiu.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What's going to happen to the elderly care industry in 2021

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP

Hadlock posted:

Well, in a way, you're looking at it.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Bardeh posted:

seems like it's no match for the roni

E: here's today's breakdown from Italy btw

https://twitter.com/ViralRNA/status/1237084982922936321?s=19

the 80s must be one hell of a crucible if surviving to 90 actually boosts your odds of beating an infection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Hadlock posted:

bailouts