Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Interesting. I wonder if they factor in other metrics to determine the true "value" of a show or movie. I'm sure there's a strong correlation between streaming views and value, but there are probably some shows that are widely watched but not "I'd pay money for this streaming service to have access to this show" (like a Sopranos or GoT for HBO), and others that people would definitely pony up money for.

Anything that generates repeat views from the same accounts probably would have a strong correlation with something people would pay for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Zwabu posted:

Interesting. I wonder if they factor in other metrics to determine the true "value" of a show or movie. I'm sure there's a strong correlation between streaming views and value, but there are probably some shows that are widely watched but not "I'd pay money for this streaming service to have access to this show" (like a Sopranos or GoT for HBO), and others that people would definitely pony up money for.

Anything that generates repeat views from the same accounts probably would have a strong correlation with something people would pay for.

Supposedly Netflix's main metric is "how many accounts watched this season to completion within a month of release", for whatever that's worth.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
There's a bunch of research saying people play videogames for like 3 hours then maybe just stop and I wonder how many metrics they're sitting on going "Witcher was the most watched show!" but only like 1/4 of the audience made it to the end.

That terrible Hulu show The Awesomes got around this by giving you the first minute of the next episode as a stinger so when the autoplay queued it you were like "oh lets see where this goes".

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I enjoyed the heck out of this show and I have a few thoughts on it.

Acting was phenomenal. Standout was Homelander of course, but Stilwell also played off him well. The only actor I didn't really like was that CIA agent (Not-Mallory), she had a weird affect all the time. Also I find Kimiko's backstory contrived as hell, they didn't need to make her Japanese who was pressed into some south-east asian guerilla movement, just make her south-east asian like the rest of the guys in the basement.

The final episode was great, Hughie getting tackled out of nowhere was hilarious, and despite all that, he thoroughly rejected Butcher's philosophy by making the strange decision to save A-Train's life. In a deeply cynical show, Hughie did something very strange and human, something I would never have done but Annie would.

Another interesting scene that I really liked was when the director deliberately hid Stilwell's reaction to finding out Homelander was the one distributing V to terrorists. It was an interesting way of building dramatic tension then playing with audience expectations.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Rise, thread, RIIIISE!

(Casting spoilers for those who haven't followed news about the show much)

https://ew.com/tv/the-boys-season-2-aya-cash-stormfront-photos/

The belt buckle.

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Mar 9, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That casting is fantastic.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Oooooh I really like the idea of the S2’s antagonist locking horns with the S1 chief antagonist like an anime

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Can't fuckin wait for S2, this was just about my surprise hit of the year

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Not really sure if changing what was essentially an alt-right nazi superhero into something else (anything else) is really the best idea in this day and age...but I guess they are going for something completely different anyway for the character. S2 is probably going to be wildly different from the comic, plot wise.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I'm sure they'll make her into some gigantic TERF or something regardless.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Panfilo posted:

I'm sure they'll make her into some gigantic TERF or something regardless.

The article mentioned her having "old-fashioned values" so I'm sure it'll be something like that, too.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

That Italian Guy posted:

Not really sure if changing what was essentially an alt-right nazi superhero into something else (anything else) is really the best idea in this day and age...but I guess they are going for something completely different anyway for the character. S2 is probably going to be wildly different from the comic, plot wise.

The comic loving sucks so anything that indicates they're changing the comic is a good sign.

Bust Rodd posted:

Oooooh I really like the idea of the S2’s antagonist locking horns with the S1 chief antagonist like an anime

Give Hughie a gundam

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Get in the Evangelion Huey!

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
I'm betting she's going to be modeled off the Laurens and gun girl (minus the pants making GBS threads actually, I could see them keeping in the pants making GBS threads), fitting in with the more secular alt-right fascism in contrast to Homelander's evangelical fascism.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
She's called Stormfront and has an iron eagle on her belt buckle. She's absolutely a nazi.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

That Italian Guy posted:

Have you seen that belt buckle? I don't think they changed Stormfront as much as you think. I have a feeling those weird clamps around her upper arms with the american flag will come off to reveal something else at some dramatic moment.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

kanonvandekempen posted:

Have you seen that belt buckle? I don't think they changed Stormfront as much as you think. I have a feeling those weird clamps around her upper arms with the american flag will come off to reveal something else at some dramatic moment.

Yeah I guess they're just trying to be coy about the character in the interview with what they choose to put the spotlight on.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
"we regret to inform you Stormfront is now a communist"

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

"we regret to inform you Stormfront is now a communist"

I mean we are still missing Love Sausage...

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Open Source Idiom posted:

She's called Stormfront and has an iron eagle on her belt buckle. She's absolutely a nazi.

Check out her Stars n' Stripes armbands. She's nazi as gently caress.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
They don’t wanna go “SHES A NAZI” in the adverts because that attracts a very specific type of buzz and attention on the internet and has a tendency to consume or overshadow the show. They want people to tune in because they like the show, not because it’s got some topical meme “flavor-of-the-month” social issue at play. It shows restraint on their part.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Amazon was apparently really awkward about the attention that The Man In The High Castle got, hence wrapping that show up so fast and it might explain why they commissioned Hunters. Maybe they wanted to avoid the public attention that a satirical (but ironic) representation of a literal nazi ubermensch might bring.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
couldn't they have made Stormfront an incel nazi bitchboy

wait no then you get kylo ren and all the prison love letters that come with it

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Alan Smithee posted:

couldn't they have made Stormfront an incel nazi bitchboy

wait no then you get kylo ren and all the prison love letters that come with it

It would honestly be totally loving amazing if the route they took was Stormfront’s secret identity is a whiny Incel who literally becomes a Nazi Stacy as their superpower

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Open Source Idiom posted:

Maybe they wanted to avoid the public attention that a satirical (but ironic) representation of a literal nazi ubermensch might bring.

They already have this in Homelander. Maybe they got a bit shocked at how he's such a popular character and now need to do a Walter White by introducing a literal nazi antagonist for him.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I know it’s splitting hairs but I don’t need my “murderous rapist and child killer” to also be a Nazi in order to hate them, and I didn’t get any Nazi vibes from him.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Bust Rodd posted:

I know it’s splitting hairs but I don’t need my “murderous rapist and child killer” to also be a Nazi in order to hate them, and I didn’t get any Nazi vibes from him.

Everything about Homelander evokes strong fascist energy, down to his name.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Homelander could broadly be described as a fascist but honestly he operates at such a simple level that even fascism is too deep for him. He is a maniacal child-god who murders for sport and doesn't really care what other people do as long as the masses applaud while he cheerfully executes people.

When they talk about Stormfront coming in and disrupting the Seven I'm guessing that pushing an explicitly fascist agenda is going to be part of that. Homelander's brand is more rah-rah goodfeels nationalism, and while he's ok with the casual fascism that engenders (again, he doesn't care about people anyhow) he is not going to be happy about someone using the Seven to promote divisive and controversial opinions.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

OG stormfront is a Thor/Shazam expy on The Boys Avengers spoof team so genderswapping them makes me wonder if they're a Captain Marvel now.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Cage Kicker posted:

You have to remember that not everyone spends all day, every day, online talking about politics and fascism and the alt-right. Fascism doesn’t immediately spring to everyone’s minds whenever an evil blonde man is talking.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Cage Kicker posted:

To be honest, he is correct to consider himself superior.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bust Rodd posted:

You have to remember that not everyone spends all day, every day, online talking about politics and fascism and the alt-right. Fascism doesn’t immediately spring to everyone’s minds whenever an evil blonde man is talking.

Yeah, mostly they just think "it's dementia, isn't it? And that hair is a wig."

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Bust Rodd posted:

Give this another watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCcOCiQ6Ej0

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

massive spider posted:

OG stormfront is a Thor/Shazam expy on The Boys Avengers spoof team so genderswapping them makes me wonder if they're a Captain Marvel now.

Isn't Thor a woman now? I don't really follow Marvel comics, but I think I remember people freaking out about that.

Also I think the whole "Stormfront is going to disrupt the Seven" is cause she's simply going to be Vought's foil to Homelander, now that he is going rogue-ish. Gus Frings is going to bring her in to try and control him now that Stillwell is dead, COMIC BOOK SPOILER since Stormfront is the only "believable" threat to Homelander if they have completely changed the whole Black Noir plot, maybe swapping it with Homelander Jr.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

Bad guy in cinema or TV = nazi imagery isnt a big leap for even the most politics averse watcher.

The Avengers even had a cringy line where loki gets called a literally Hitler.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

PostNouveau posted:

The comic loving sucks so anything that indicates they're changing the comic is a good sign.

"The Boys: The TV Show" is basically "What if 'The Boys: The Comic Book' had a ruthless and omnipotent editor to slice away all the poo poo Ennis never grew out of"

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Pattonesque posted:

"The Boys: The TV Show" is basically "What if 'The Boys: The Comic Book' had a ruthless and omnipotent editor to slice away all the poo poo Ennis never grew out of"

The Boys was the ultimate expression of Ennis's hate boner for superheroes. The main theme is "with great power comes no responsibility, because who the gently caress can hold you responsible?" The supes are all sexual deviants and druggies because the people in power in the real world are sexual deviants and druggies. Not to say that Ennis hasn't written hosed up poo poo because he likes being edgy, but all the most extreme stuff in The Boys is being done by characters who never had to grow up.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It cannot be overstated how bad the comic is. I bought the first volume after the show because usually I don't hate stuff as much as many people online but woof, it's real bad. Makes me never want to go back and read Preacher again.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
The tv show is light years better than the comic. The comic is so bad it made me wait to hear reviews of the show before I even bothered to give it a chance, and it was free on amazon, and I've seen some poo poo movies on amazon prime video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm sure my posts about how much I was dreading the show are somewhere in this thread. The comics are so goddamned bad and I didn't expect much from the show. But then the casting started and I decided to give it a chance. Glad I did as it ruled and Anthony Starr is the best.

Edit: my posts are likely in the TV chat thread or the bSS tv thread, not here.