Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Play posted:

the snow has been poo poo this year!! weird winter. 8 times out of 10 I'm wearing a long sleeve t shirt snowboarding because it's like 60+ degrees in the sun. not sure what that has to do with corona virus but whatever

we never got a hard freeze this winter and all our bugs, flowers and birds collectively decided to start spring at the beginning of february, in coastal virginia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i've found two ticks already in VT. it suuuuucks

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
That Iran is under-reporting is no surprise but breaking down the statistics suggest they are possibly incredibly short of the real numbers.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/03/irans-coronavirus-problem-lot-worse-it-seems/607663/

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Lucky Guy posted:

My local store was completely out of toilet bowl cleaner, between this and the TP shortages I suspect that the Roni has some severe rear end related symptoms.

:discourse:

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Strategic Tea posted:

The US political obsession itt is baffling.

He's not wearing a mask! He must be a Trump lover! Get im! :allears:

The only pictures I’ve seen of high profile mask wearers is noted Trump-lover Matt Gaetz, currently in quarantine for exposing himself to the virus :allears:

Also yeah what the gently caress are you talking about

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

I'm mostly working from home here and occasionally going to shoot something small, so I'm pretty insulated.

My two housemates though work in service industry so I'm holding out hope for them. We're all in our 20's and early 30's so I'm not that concerned, but we've definitely got some canned soups ready to go and a bunch of fruits.

At this point what can you do besides go about your life, wash your hands, avoid your face and eat well?

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
First death in NJ confimed, 69 year old man with prior health problems.
https://www.nj.com/coronavirus/2020/03/coronavirus-update-nj-confirms-1st-death-4-new-positive-tests.html

We're also in a state of emergency since last night.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!
So this morning at around 10:00, there were 156 confirmed infected here in Denmark, and right now (8 hours later) there's 262 infected.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
stop testing, stupid!

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Just poppin' in to check if there are any dead goons yet?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

UltraRed posted:

Active? Probably like 5 or so but they don't post in GBS. That's my educated guess.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I know I saw the request in QCS but did we actually implement a new system for giving out avs to goons that have died (in lieu of being permabanned)? If so please make mine a seal wearing a hazmat suit, tia

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

UltraRed posted:

At hospital lost lgun post mote later.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

From a buddy that works ICU in Seattle:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Wow, NY is basically shutting down the town of new Rochelle and having the national guard make food deliveries.

Herbicidal Maniac
Jun 3, 2008

You will be the effigy I burn, infused with all the traits that make them the detestable little goblins they are.

It's great, I'm apparently one of very few people in our office that has a laptop with VPN ability. Our company is testing people working from home but have no plan for a massive VDI or VPN plan, so there's a bunch of last minute requests for laptops and VDI allowances.

But of course they want to do some testing tomorrow and Thursday for people to work remote.

schmug
May 20, 2007

lmao HR just sent this "FW:" email to everyone and and told us to post it around the shop.

Subject: FW: Corona Virus Prevention from Stanford Medical EXTREMELY USEFUL
Best advice so far….
From a member of the Stanford hospital board. This is their feedback for now on the Coronavirus:
IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT - CORONAVIRUS -- 1. If you have a runny nose and sputum, you have a common cold 2. Coronavirus pneumonia is a dry cough with no runny nose. 3. This new virus is not heat-resistant and will be killed by a temperature of just 26/27 degrees. It hates the Sun. 4. If someone sneezes with it, it takes about 10 feet before it drops to the ground and is no longer airborne. 5. If it drops on a metal surface it will live for at least 12 hours - so if you come into contact with any metal surface - wash your hands as soon as you can with a bacterial soap. 6. On fabric it can survive for 6-12 hours. normal laundry detergent will kill it. 7. Drinking warm water is effective for all viruses. Try not to drink liquids with ice. 8. Wash your hands frequently as the virus can only live on your hands for 5-10 minutes, but - a lot can happen during that time - you can rub your eyes, pick your nose unwittingly and so on. 9. You should also gargle as a prevention. A simple solution of salt in warm water will suffice. 10. Can't emphasis enough - drink plenty of water! THE SYMPTOMS 1. It will first infect the throat, so you'll have a sore throat lasting 3/4 days 2. The virus then blends into a nasal fluid that enters the trachea and then the lungs, causing pneumonia. This takes about 5/6 days further. 3. With the pneumonia comes high fever and difficulty in breathing. 4. The nasal congestion is not like the normal kind. You feel like you're drowning. It's imperative you then seek immediate attention.
Serious excellent advice by Japanese doctors treating COVID-19 cases: Everyone should ensure your mouth & throat are moist, never dry. Take a few sips of water every 15 minutes at least. Why? Even if the virus gets into your mouth, drinking water or other liquids will wash them down through your throat and into the stomach. Once there, your stomach acid will kill all the virus. If you don't drink enough water more regularly, the virus can enter your windpipe and into the lungs. That's very dangerous. Please send and share this with family and friends. Take care everyone and may the world recover from this Coronavirus soon.
The new Coronavirus may not show sign of infection for many days. How can one know if he/she is infected? By the time they have fever and/or cough and go to the hospital, the lung is usually 50% Fibrosis and it's too late (Fibrosis is not reversible). Taiwan experts provide a simple self-check that we can do every morning. Take a deep breath and hold your breath for more than 10 seconds. If you complete it successfully without coughing, without discomfort, stiffness or tightness, etc., it proves there is no Fibrosis in the lungs, basically indicates no infection. In critical times, please self-check every morning in an environment with clean air.

tl;dr The virus hates the sun

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Anybody got that graph of disease progression with and without preventative measures handy? I tried looking back through the thread but the pages of hand washing song lyrics sapped my will to live.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Hazo posted:

The only pictures I’ve seen of high profile mask wearers is noted Trump-lover Matt Gaetz, currently in quarantine for exposing himself to the virus :allears:

good news

https://twitter.com/ReutersZengerle/status/1237137607940886528

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

schmug posted:

I think it's vampires that hate the sun and can't cross running water, not viruses but I'm not a Van Helsing so idk

naem
May 29, 2011

hot water- good for healthy

schmuckfeatures
Oct 27, 2003
Hair Elf

Sirotan posted:

Harvard going virtual for the semester and kicking all the students out of the dorms

https://twitter.com/BGrueskin/status/1237361141078282240

finally the kids have something more important to complain about than sushi and halloween costumes

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I called a previous employer's HR dept to get a copy of my W2 for taxes, and when he asked me how I was doing I said "oh you know, watching everybody freak out about coronavirus." I didn't go into how I've spent a decent chunk of change buying supplies and am currently being cleared to work from home for the next several weeks, mostly because he blurted out "BUNCHA IDIOTS if you ask me, making a big deal about absolutely nothing. News media is blowing this up for clicks! Everything is fine and these folks are being ridiculous." Should have known he'd respond that way. He was also one of these "AOC IS CRAZY, she literally wants to ban all cows and air planes!!! She said that herself!" type guys.

Guess what generation he is.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 10, 2020

Dralun
May 22, 2012
https://twitter.com/search?q=%22Sacramento%20County%22&src=trend_click

Sacramento County is no longer recommending 14 day quarantine for people only exposed to someone who has tested positive.

Is there a way to take this other than the county officials just said 'gently caress it'?

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Wow, NY is basically shutting down the town of new Rochelle and having the national guard make food deliveries.

That's wild and not that far from me. Why just New Rochelle? Aren't there confirmed cases in NYC? This feels like shutting the barn door a week after the cows left.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

schmug posted:

lmao HR just sent this "FW:" email to everyone and and told us to post it around the shop.

Best advice so far….
From a member of the Stanford hospital board. This is their feedback for now on the Coronavirus:
IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT - CORONAVIRUS -- 1. If you have a runny nose and sputum, you have a common cold 2. Coronavirus pneumonia is a dry cough with no runny nose. 3. This new virus is not heat-resistant and will be killed by a temperature of just 26/27 degrees. It hates the Sun. 4. If someone sneezes with it, it takes about 10 feet before it drops to the ground and is no longer airborne. 5. If it drops on a metal surface it will live for at least 12 hours - so if you come into contact with any metal surface - wash your hands as soon as you can with a bacterial soap. 6. On fabric it can survive for 6-12 hours. normal laundry detergent will kill it. 7. Drinking warm water is effective for all viruses. Try not to drink liquids with ice. 8. Wash your hands frequently as the virus can only live on your hands for 5-10 minutes, but - a lot can happen during that time - you can rub your eyes, pick your nose unwittingly and so on. 9. You should also gargle as a prevention. A simple solution of salt in warm water will suffice. 10. Can't emphasis enough - drink plenty of water! THE SYMPTOMS 1. It will first infect the throat, so you'll have a sore throat lasting 3/4 days 2. The virus then blends into a nasal fluid that enters the trachea and then the lungs, causing pneumonia. This takes about 5/6 days further. 3. With the pneumonia comes high fever and difficulty in breathing. 4. The nasal congestion is not like the normal kind. You feel like you're drowning. It's imperative you then seek immediate attention.
Serious excellent advice by Japanese doctors treating COVID-19 cases: Everyone should ensure your mouth & throat are moist, never dry. Take a few sips of water every 15 minutes at least. Why? Even if the virus gets into your mouth, drinking water or other liquids will wash them down through your throat and into the stomach. Once there, your stomach acid will kill all the virus. If you don't drink enough water more regularly, the virus can enter your windpipe and into the lungs. That's very dangerous. Please send and share this with family and friends. Take care everyone and may the world recover from this Coronavirus soon.
The new Coronavirus may not show sign of infection for many days. How can one know if he/she is infected? By the time they have fever and/or cough and go to the hospital, the lung is usually 50% Fibrosis and it's too late (Fibrosis is not reversible). Taiwan experts provide a simple self-check that we can do every morning. Take a deep breath and hold your breath for more than 10 seconds. If you complete it successfully without coughing, without discomfort, stiffness or tightness, etc., it proves there is no Fibrosis in the lungs, basically indicates no infection. In critical times, please self-check every morning in an environment with clean air.

Whoever forwarded that should be fired.

Dralun posted:

https://twitter.com/search?q=%22Sacramento%20County%22&src=trend_click

Sacramento County is no longer recommending 14 day quarantine for people only exposed to someone who has tested positive.

Is there a way to take this other than the county officials just said 'gently caress it'?

They have to do that or every HCW / emt would he off work in the next week. That ship has long sailed.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

While they are slowly rolling out WFH as an option, my work seems to be on the: "just pretend it's not there and maybe it will go away" train, yet everyone is visibly nervous about being the one that gets sick and forces management to close us down as there's fear of getting let go for getting sick.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Hobo Clown posted:

That's wild and not that far from me. Why just New Rochelle? Aren't there confirmed cases in NYC? This feels like shutting the barn door a week after the cows left.

I think it’s like a test run to see how it works. It’s only a 1-mile radius and some large community places closing right now.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

I was cleaning out an old purse today and I found a half bottle of hand sanitizer. Gonna sell it on the black market and buy a better purse.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Re: lung fibrosis in that post above:

Even if you're strong and ride it out, you'll still be crippled with 50% lung capacity?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Hazo posted:

Also yeah what the gently caress are you talking about

The assumption that anyone not taking this seriously enough must be a chudlord.

And the general trend where anything anybody does gets picked over for for nonsensical political friend or foe indicators.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Strategic Tea posted:

The assumption that anyone not taking this seriously enough must be a chudlord.

And the general trend where anything anybody does gets picked over for for nonsensical political friend or foe indicators.

People calling it a hoax are chuds, let's be honest.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Public Health England have released a fancy dashboard to track the roni:

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/f94c3c90da5b4e9f9a0b19484dd4bb14

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

GORDON posted:

Even if you're strong and ride it out, you'll still be crippled with 50% lung capacity?

That post was “look at this bullshit.” So much stuff in that email forward is false/woo-woo crap.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I've heard that one factor driving companies to push for work from home right now is to avoid needing to pay out workman's comp if a lot of employees get sick. Articles I'm finding on it seem to put it into a grey area that aren't sure. Anyone know how legit that concern is?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Strategic Tea posted:

The US political obsession itt is baffling.

He's not wearing a mask! He must be a Trump lover! Get im! :allears:

When you refer to a post you should quote it. Assuming it actually exists and isn't just a strawman of course

poverty goat posted:

we never got a hard freeze this winter and all our bugs, flowers and birds collectively decided to start spring at the beginning of february, in coastal virginia

Yeah it's the same here. I'm going up to the mountains this weekend, it will have just snowed when I get there but I fully expect to see many signs of spring, buds and flowers appearing, new growth, that kind of thing. Here in Vegas I'm already sleeping with my window wide open, only 9 more months of summer to go!!

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

schmug posted:

Best advice so far….

That started out as a facebook "my smart uncle says" post. Glad to see it's moving up in the world to hospital board members now

schmug
May 20, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Whoever forwarded that should be fired.

They have to do that or every HCW / emt would he off work in the next week. That ship has long sailed.

It literally came from the head of HR and she instructed our plant managers to print it out and post it around the shop lol. I was going to to ask her if anyone fact checked anything in the email, but nah I just laughed that boomers still fall for this poo poo and went home early.

We have a webinar on the virus tomorrow that we(only salaried personnel for some reason) have to watch so that should be good for some lols as well.

Why is everything so stupid...

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
my favourite part is how on your hands it can only live for 5 minutes but can live for 12 hours on clothes.

or the warm water part

theres a lot of good stuff in there lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

schmug
May 20, 2007

GORDON posted:

yeah man, we're all going to die...unless we got outside and stand in the sun.

The Walrus posted:

my favourite part is how on your hands it can only live for 5 minutes but can live for 12 hours on clothes.

or the warm water part

theres a lot of good stuff in there lol
for real. the more you read the more you shake your head