Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

LifeSunDeath posted:

They weight of my hand on the mouse is a dead-man switch. If my hand lifts off the mouse, a contraption of servos and power drills automatically destroy my HD's. Take that fedz.
My laptop is absolutely packed with thermite. If I ever stop watching anime it will explode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

The venn diagram of scientists/technicians and people willing to examine evidence from crime scenes produces a really odd group of personalities.

Did you know that a lot of criminal investigative science is about to start grinding to a halt if we don't find a reliable source of helium?

The venn diagram of scientists/technicians willing to examine evidence from crime scenes and scientists/technicians unwilling to work if they can't do funny voices is a perfect circle.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Imagined posted:

As far as I know unless the freaking NSA is after you, anything more than overwriting your drive three times is probably overkill and any vulnerability beyond that point is speculative and theoretical.

Nobody's been able to demonstrate pulling data off a platter that's been overwritten even once.

https://www.nber.org/sys-admin/overwritten-data-gutmann.html

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I went nuts on a drive that had copies of my SF86 on it after seven years, but that was mostly just because I wanted an excuse to go nuts on a hard drive and “it has an obscene amount of personal information on there” was a perfect for that.

And China hacked the OPM and got all that data anyway.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Phanatic posted:

]

I keep getting phone calls from a spoofed OPIM number that leaves me voicemails in Chinese. I hope that’s all they end up doing with my info.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Phanatic posted:

Nobody's been able to demonstrate pulling data off a platter that's been overwritten even once.

https://www.nber.org/sys-admin/overwritten-data-gutmann.html

All of my data (anime) is first encoded using a random number generator based on my farts (fart-wave number generator), from which a one time pad is created. More farts and a lighter are used to burn the one time pad. It would take crypto scientists 1 billion years of farts to decode my system.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Before he died, Terry Pratchett asked that his hard drives be taken out and crushed with a steamroller, and so they were.

SniperWoreConverse posted:

in the old days the cops would always throw that poo poo in the slag furnace. Throw confiscated weed and other poo poo they couldn't sell or smoke themselves, too. Industry really is on a decline.

That exhaust vent must have been a real popular hangout spot

haveblue fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Mar 10, 2020

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Imagined posted:

As far as I know unless the freaking NSA is after you, anything more than overwriting your drive three times is probably overkill and any vulnerability beyond that point is speculative and theoretical.

Overwriting isn't all that useful on newer storage media (i.e. SSDs)

If you want to erase something, use blkdiscard --secure, which will cause the device to nuke everything. If it doesn't support that, blkdiscard --zeroout will zero-fill everything.

If that's not paranoid enough, physical destruction is the only option. We have a degausser for mass destruction, which is much more appropriate for a university than a hammer.

(Though we also have hydraulic presses capable of 600 MPa from all sides and temperatures of 600°C)

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Information that you really, really never want to find useful.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Antigravitas posted:

Overwriting isn't all that useful on newer storage media (i.e. SSDs)

If you want to erase something, use blkdiscard --secure, which will cause the device to nuke everything. If it doesn't support that, blkdiscard --zeroout will zero-fill everything.

Or just encrypt the filesystem and drop the key.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
That's what blkdiscard does, and is the only way to delete from an SSD thanks to wear leveling.

Pending OSHA: my work got a ping-pong table. We put it on the mezzanine, with a thin chain stopping all the retarded fat developers (myself included) from plummeting 15 feet to the concrete floor below. For some reason we are incapable of chasing a runaway ball without looking like Peter Griffin.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Antigravitas posted:

If that's not paranoid enough, physical destruction is the only option. We have a degausser for mass destruction, which is much more appropriate for a university than a hammer.

Degaussing's not so great for SSDs either.

https://www.usenix.org/legacy/event/fast11/tech/full_papers/Wei.pdf

quote:

We also evaluated degaussing as a method for erasing SSDs. Degaussing is a fast, effective means of destroying hard drives, since it removes the disks low-level formatting (along with all the data) and damages the drive motor. The mechanism flash memories use to store data is not magnetism-based, so we did not expect the degausser to erase the flash cells directly. However, the strong alternating magnetic fields that the degausser produces will induce powerful eddy currents in chip’s metal layers. These currents may damage the chips, leaving them unreadable. We degaussed individual flash chips written with our fingerprint rather than entire SSDs. We used seven chips (marked with † in Table 5) that covered SLC, MLC and TLC (triple-level cell) devices across a range of process generation feature sizes. The degausser was a Security, Inc. HD-3D hard drive degausser that has been evaluated for the NSA and can thoroughly sanitize modern hard drives. It degaussed the chips by applying a rotating 14,000 gauss field co-planar to the chips and an 8,000 gauss perpendicular alternating field. In all cases, the data remained intact.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Platystemon posted:

What about the bogeyman with the magnetic force microscope and time to use it? :ohdear:

What about Magneto? :ohdear:

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

haveblue posted:

Before he died, Terry Pratchett asked that his hard drives be taken out and crushed with a steamroller, and so they were.

That exhaust vent must have been a real popular hangout spot

nah like a steel mill molten metal furnace.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Well crap, the press it is then. We are currently building a new building with reinforced walls for even stronger presses, that should take care of everything.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Antigravitas posted:

Well crap, the press it is then. We are currently building a new building with reinforced walls for even stronger presses, that should take care of everything.

When I worked in Gaming the IT guys would always give me the Hard Drives to 'dispose of' simply because I took such enjoyment from dropping them from the top of the 6 story parking garage and smashing them against the concrete walls. But yeah a good hydraulic press probably works just as well.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
A microwave is the technique I picked up from 90s hacker characters.

Surprisingly effective on almost all computer components with very little work, but y'all go ahead and find a degausser.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Antigravitas posted:

Welcome to hoodraulic press channel, today we are going to do SSDs

*SSD explodes*

what the gently caress

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

DandyLion posted:

When I worked in Gaming the IT guys would always give me the Hard Drives to 'dispose of' simply because I took such enjoyment from dropping them from the top of the 6 story parking garage and smashing them against the concrete walls. But yeah a good hydraulic press probably works just as well.

Thinking more about it, I could also submerge them in liquid nitrogen. I have a tank outside my office and a few more within walking distance. That should make the drives extremely brittle so they might actually shatter on impact.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Has anyone tried thermite?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

They're ssds and this is the OSHA thread.

Take off as much packaging you can and dunk it in HF.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

PittTheElder posted:

Has anyone tried thermite?

Yeah:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bpX8YvNg6Y&t=800s

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Pretty much all secure document destruction outfits will also dispose of HDDs/SSDs (They use those big industrial shredders). IMO anyone still doing it in-house I guess doesn't give a gently caress about doing it right (Or at least getting indemnity by signing away responsibility to a third-party).

Micr0chiP
Mar 17, 2007
Relevant to the HD destruction, someone tries several methods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bpX8YvNg6Y

razak
Apr 13, 2016

Ready for graphing

Pile Of Garbage posted:

(Or at least getting indemnity by signing away responsibility to a third-party).

This is the most important part right here, just get the certificate of destruction so you have proof that it is no longer your fault when the disks end up on ebay :)

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Micr0chiP posted:

Relevant to the HD destruction, someone tries several methods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bpX8YvNg6Y

This loving rules

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Those same outfits also do secure disposal of backup tapes which you pretty much need someone else to do if you're doing a significant upgrade of your tape backup infra. Migrating from one version of LTO tapes to whatever newer version can involve cycling-out hundreds and hundreds of tapes, many of which you've got stashed off-site at an outfit like Iron Mountain. Just lmao at attempting to do disposal of these in-house.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

BMan posted:

Welcome to hoodraulic press channel, today we are going to do SSDs

*SSD explodes*

what the gently caress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrbQqh0rBIo

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

LifeSunDeath posted:

This loving rules

It was even better than when Rexxed posted it two posts earlier.

(Really the takeaway here is that YouTube sucks for causing the demise of the YouTube Title Adder extension)

VV you know what you did

SyNack Sassimov fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Mar 10, 2020

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

:(

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/XGzutuP.mp4
:suspense:

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Did you know that a lot of criminal investigative science is about to start grinding to a halt if we don't find a reliable source of helium?

Yeah that's just fearmongering. They found more helium a while ago. Worst case scenario is it gets more expensive, we're still really, really far away from running out.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I have all of the helium and have hidden it, I will do infinite crimes

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Babe Magnet posted:

I have all of the helium and have hidden it, I will do infinite crimes

I feel you're being deliberately light on the details with this one....

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Really it's better to say we're running out of cheap helium. You can extract it from the atmosphere just fine, the process as it exists right now though is just incredibly expensive and energy intensive.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
My side gig is at a dentist and they're seriously wondering where they can get more facemasks if/when we run out because of idiots preppers hording them even though it almost certainly won't help because a) the nature of coronavirus and b) how most untrained people don't even use them correctly.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Imagined posted:

My side gig is at a dentist and they're seriously wondering where they can get more facemasks if/when we run out because of idiots preppers hording them even though it almost certainly won't help because a) the nature of coronavirus and b) how most untrained people don't even use them correctly.

Don't need training to know how to keep your beef jerky in there so you can have a little snack while you work. That's just basic Hulk Hogan protocol.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

I hope that was in kph. jeez

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

lmfao of all the vendors to back into our lightpole hard enough to knock it down, it had to be the welding gas truck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Helium talk always takes me back to when me and one other guy in our lab used ~30,000 liquid liters of it in one year. I worked it out to be about a percent of world production that year.

Source4Leko fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Mar 10, 2020