Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Der Shovel posted:

I just started playing Kingmaker for the first time, and while I really do like a lot about the game, I have some pretty big problems.

- Enemy casters can eat poo poo and die. I wish I'd known beforehand that all of them will be machine gun spamming Cause Fear at my party who seemingly haven't even HEARD of saving throws (much less about how to make them) because I might have made a PC who could combat fear better.

Yeah fear effects are relatively common ; however Remove Fear is a level 1 spell that a ton of NPCs can cast or learn, it works in a large area, and it works even after your guys have begun making GBS threads their britches.
But speaking of spells to think ahead for : plan to have a way to cast Death Ward and Freedom of Movement (or better yet, have items to make those permanent) on your entire main team before the endgame. Just... just trust me on this one.
Also giving your melee folk Blind Fight at some point won't come amiss.

Oh, and Delay Poison(communal) is actually "never ever care about poison, ever, for the entire day".

quote:

- Difficulty spikes. Yeah this is a perfectly normal area with frogs you can easily kill, except if you go behind this tree there's a boar that will TPK you in a couple of rounds. Rinse and repeat. I mean OK cool, running into poo poo you can't handle is a part of these games and that's fine, but it's getting a bit old spending 15-20 minutes clearing out a dungeon with little difficulty only to run into a pack of monsters that just utterly annihilate me in a couple of rounds. Did I just get unlucky or was I not supposed to be there yet? I wish I knew, because ...

Nature of an open-ish world game. If your characters have ranks in Knowledge(what the hell type of monster that is) you can click the eye icon on the bottom left to get some info on the monster, its stats and IIRC also its Challenge Rating (i.e. a rough indication of which level your party should be to walk all over them ; although it's a really hit or miss indication) before strolling up to have a nice friendly chat.
The relevant Knowledges are Religion for undead; Nature for furry critters and the fey; World for giants and people; Arcana for Weird poo poo (tm).

quote:

- There's a bunch of usability problems. Trying to use a skill on a dude but it's not working? "I don't have a problem, IT'S THE SPELL THAT'S BROKEN" is 100% useless feedback especially when some of the reasons poo poo isn't working are everything but immediately obvious. Why can I charge this guy, but not the guy two feet next to him?

Charging is "do twice your regular movement then attack". If you can't it's either because a) the guy two feet next to him is actually outside that double move b) you're actually *too close* to charge (you need 10 feet of run up space) or c) there's some obstacle in your path that prevents drawing a straight line from your character to their target. Can be a piece of terrain, a friendly, an enemy, and sometimes some very small rubble acts as blockage.

quote:

Why are my dudes whiffing with all their attacks? Am I just getting unlucky, or are the enemies so tough I don't have a mathematical chance? Or am I using the wrong weapons? Wish I knew!

You can strike the latter : if you're using the wrong weapons you'll hit but not do damage (check the battle log, it'll say "SoAndSo hit for 0 damage").

As for why you keep whiffing, there could be a few reasons : plain bad luck (it often seems like I'm getting abysmal rolls while the enemy crits on demand, but I suppose that's confirmation bias) ; the enemy has enough AC that you can only hit on a nat 20 (you can confirm that with the aforementioned examining the monster's stats, or just looking at the battle log after an attack) in which case try to disable stuff like Power Attack, Deadly Aim, Rapid Shot etc... ; the enemy has some type of concealment (blur, displacement, invisibility...) that gives each actual hit a flat chance to turn into a miss ; or you're blind (typically because of a spell, but some fey also just have a chance to blind everyone around them every turn because gently caress you that's why) in which case your only recourse is to cast Remove Blindness - because Blindness is in most cases permanent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch

Kobal2 posted:

Oh, and Delay Poison(communal) is actually "never ever care about poison, ever, for the entire day".

I learned the hard way that this should always be one one of your peeps earlier today. I thought resting might negate the poison effect that was sapping constitution from Octavia; it was kind of hilarious because she dropped dead the second we broke camp.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Kobal2 posted:

Nature of an open-ish world game. If your characters have ranks in Knowledge(what the hell type of monster that is) you can click the eye icon on the bottom left to get some info on the monster, its stats and IIRC also its Challenge Rating (i.e. a rough indication of which level your party should be to walk all over them ; although it's a really hit or miss indication) before strolling up to have a nice friendly chat.
The relevant Knowledges are Religion for undead; Nature for furry critters and the fey; World for giants and people; Arcana for Weird poo poo (tm).

Out of idle curiosity, was this actually stated officially somewhere? I know some of the youtubers refer to it as such, but given its location on the info screen, along with roughly correlating monster stats based on type to it, I've always interpreted it as the Hit Dice of the selected monster - which is NOT the same (close to CR for some, way higher for others). Animals/vermin/plants for example tend to have very much inflated HD compared to their CR, and the game can list some very high values for stuff which is realistically not much of a threat for even characters of much lower level.

Like, just to pick an example of a pseudo-boss, I want to say the Scythe Tree has a listed value of 14, and there is absolutely no way that quest or map is designed for a 14th level party (they'll utterly steamroll it).

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Lord Koth posted:

Out of idle curiosity, was this actually stated officially somewhere? I know some of the youtubers refer to it as such, but given its location on the info screen, along with roughly correlating monster stats based on type to it, I've always interpreted it as the Hit Dice of the selected monster - which is NOT the same (close to CR for some, way higher for others).

No idea - I just assumed as much ; but then I'm a poo poo GM who does not know what CR really is/how it's calc'd.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
I always thought the way the balance on CR worked was “A party of four player characters at the same level as the CR will expend approximately a half to a third of their daily resources (spells, per-day abilities, etc) to beat it.” I think someone told me that, anyway.

That’s for encounter CR, I have no clue how individual monster CR works.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

grah posted:

The game almost entirely runs on a global timer from your kingdom start date.

Just as a note to anyone worried about this or timed quests: The Kingdom Resolution mod has an optional spoiler section that, if you enable it, shows how many days you have until every kingdom event in the game.

ex: 5 days until Troll Attack 1.
10 days until Jaethal wants to talk in the throne room.
24 days until Troll Attack 2.
40 days until the curse.

It's really useful for figuring out how much time you have to do stuff and makes the time management a little less stressful.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Preechr posted:

I always thought the way the balance on CR worked was “A party of four player characters at the same level as the CR will expend approximately a half to a third of their daily resources (spells, per-day abilities, etc) to beat it.” I think someone told me that, anyway.

That’s for encounter CR, I have no clue how individual monster CR works.

I think it's a quarter of party resources for CR same as average party level. One monster of CR X is an Encounter Level X encounter. Also, the easiest way to determine the CR (technically EL, Encounter Level) of an encounter is to add up the experience given by all of the monsters/traps/haunts/other poo poo in the encounter and compare it to the experience-per-CR chart; for example, one Ogre (CR 3/800 XP) and two goblin dogs (CR 1/400 XP each) is a total of 1600 XP, which equals an Encounter Level 5 encounter, which should be challenging for a group of four level 5 characters, but not to the point that any of them is at serious risk of dying.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

My experience at least with 3.x's CR was that it was basically a total crap shoot because a lot of times the writers/devs did not think about what sort of special abilities monsters had.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Gorelab posted:

My experience at least with 3.x's CR was that it was basically a total crap shoot because a lot of times the writers/devs did not think about what sort of special abilities monsters had.

That's definitely still a problem with 5e for some monsters ie: Intellect Devourers.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Does Pathfinder Kingmaker have any dope as dungeons along the lines of Durlag's Tower or The Endless Paths? I'm thinking of picking back up on my playthrough.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019
One of the DLCs adds a giant dungeon to the main campaign (which I believe can also be a semi-roguelike side game)

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Kobal2 posted:

One of the DLCs adds a giant dungeon to the main campaign (which I believe can also be a semi-roguelike side game)

I remember that DLC (haven't played it) but is that as good as the aforementioned dungeons? One of the reasons I bounced off of Pathfinder was that, despite it's length and depth, most of the maps are very small and very samey. Lots of little pastures/glades/forests and that's about it. A cool multi-level detailed dungeon with aesthetics like Dragon's Eye, Durlag's Tower or Endless Paths would be dope af.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

It’s procedurally generated with random enemies, I didn’t like it beyond a place to test builds quickly.

The campaign version is also janky in regards to doing it’s story quest, to get the real end you got to find a bunch of easily missable loot on each floor and it never tells you.

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss

chaosapiant posted:

I remember that DLC (haven't played it) but is that as good as the aforementioned dungeons? One of the reasons I bounced off of Pathfinder was that, despite it's length and depth, most of the maps are very small and very samey. Lots of little pastures/glades/forests and that's about it. A cool multi-level detailed dungeon with aesthetics like Dragon's Eye, Durlag's Tower or Endless Paths would be dope af.

The DLC dungeon is procedurally generated, so, within a few varied themes it gets kinda samey after a while despite each level being unique.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Hmmm...well...does the game ever take you to some dope as neat fantasy areas? That's one of my favorite aspects of the classic IE-alikes: different maps with different themes and this sense of traveling and adventuring in an ultra-mega-wide world.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

chaosapiant posted:

Hmmm...well...does the game ever take you to some dope as neat fantasy areas? That's one of my favorite aspects of the classic IE-alikes: different maps with different themes and this sense of traveling and adventuring in an ultra-mega-wide world.

There are some nice first world locales (where they fey live), but it will be hard to admire them when spiders and owlbears hound you.

dresden711
Jan 19, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

Most chapters have at least one fairly large, multi-level dungeon and at least one or two fairly large outdoor maps with good exploration potential.

The second DLC, Varnholdt's Lot, (NOT the one with randomized dungeon) also climaxes with a pretty good sized dungeon encounter.

I haven't found anything that I would classify at the level of Durlag's or The Endless Paths but I think the major dungeons are all good and the game makes up in quantity what it lacks in quality in this area.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
Extra/Dungeon quest GET.
Now for 40k more, we unlock Magic In the Crusade. Essentially, seems to be big scale magic progects to affect things in the game (probably like the projects in Kingmaker that made you immune to poison and compulsion) and the golems you could make now be actual units in the strategy parts. Could be cool.
One after that in 2 mil . Seems it could be Intelligent weapons.

JamMasterJim fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Mar 10, 2020

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
Updating my Journal.
Magic for crusades is done.
2 mil for the next goal. 2.1 mil for the one after that.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Looks like the next goal has been pegged as Dinosaurs + Hunter class. Hunter is a pretty cool class, and dinos are of course dinos, so that'd be rather nice to get - though it'll likely have to wait for post-KS donations given we've only got 6 hours left.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
Last stretch goal was indeed Dinosaurs + Hunters.
And no secrets or decoding. This is the last stretch goal, at 2.1 mil.

I am going to sleep now. Maybe I will see the game in my dream.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
So i really want to play and get some enjoyment out of this so I wanted simple fighter character, a greatsword paladin but I'm already feeling like if I try to play it any harder then the piss easy mode I'll screw up because I don't have the int for crane style(not even sure what that is) or I'm not building it proper to get the 1-2 levels of knife master/vivisection etc.

I've found the build guides listed here https://www.gog.com/forum/pathfinder_kingmaker/ineffects_guide_v2/post4 but as I look at it all those builds dump some stats to 7 and are min-maxed to hell and back.

On the other hand, I'm chunking every enemy with every hit so its not challenging and I don't even feel like trying exploit CC spells and disabling abilities. I'd like to experience a challenge but most of the starting advice mention the highly irregular difficulty curve and that the normal-ish mode is stilled geared towards experienced pnp players looking to break the character system over their knee.

Is it worth trying to play? Or do I need to just follow a build guide if I want it hard enough to be a challenge without being complete bullshit,

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Thankfully, since Owlcat seems to have basically thrown out the entire tabletop mythic system and made their own, animal companions (and summons) will probably still be very useful all the way through the game. Base Mythic (including 3rd party splats) very much has the issue that pet classes and summoners have VERY little support for those class features/spells other than "they now count as mythic for the purposes of effects," which means they tend to verge on useless in the later stages of a full on mythic campaign.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Hunners plus dinozords. Now it's literally every core and hybrid pet class except Summoner.

Yes, I might be having a cow.

pentyne posted:

So i really want to play and get some enjoyment out of this so I wanted simple fighter character, a greatsword paladin but I'm already feeling like if I try to play it any harder then the piss easy mode I'll screw up because I don't have the int for crane style(not even sure what that is) or I'm not building it proper to get the 1-2 levels of knife master/vivisection etc.

I've found the build guides listed here https://www.gog.com/forum/pathfinder_kingmaker/ineffects_guide_v2/post4 but as I look at it all those builds dump some stats to 7 and are min-maxed to hell and back.

On the other hand, I'm chunking every enemy with every hit so its not challenging and I don't even feel like trying exploit CC spells and disabling abilities. I'd like to experience a challenge but most of the starting advice mention the highly irregular difficulty curve and that the normal-ish mode is stilled geared towards experienced pnp players looking to break the character system over their knee.

Is it worth trying to play? Or do I need to just follow a build guide if I want it hard enough to be a challenge without being complete bullshit,

The only time you really need to worry about super-specific character build poo poo is if you are trying to build the character to be a tank. You get multiple damage dealers and healers who are, even mono-class, perfectly build to perform their roles (Ekun and Amiri basically build themselves even without following a guide, and both Regongar and Octavia aren't too hard to figure out). You just need to sort out a tank of some sort (either turning Ekun's dog into one or doing something with Valerie or perhaps Harrim or making your Baron one) and you're good to go.

So no just plow on with your paladin if you are having fun. :) Paladin is strong and good and you don't get one in the normal progression so your Baron will do stuff the others don't.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

pentyne posted:

At any point in the game you can move the difficulty up or down so don't stress out too much over it. If you're having too easy a time, bump the difficulty up. If it becomes too hard, bump it down. You're not locked into any difficulty and difficulty will not make you miss any content.

Those build are for Unfair difficulty and thus have certain assumptions that are irrelevant to every other difficulty. Those builds also have some wrong rear end ideas (I'm still mad about the Rogue analysis).

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

SpaceDrake posted:

Hunners plus dinozords. Now it's literally every core and hybrid pet class except Summoner.

Eh, Summoner is so convoluted to build (the eidolon evolution alone is basically an entire new system to implement) and can easily become so grossly overpowered, I'm not going to miss it much personally.
Also since eidolons can essentially take any shape whatsoever, good luck to the art team if they don't simply go "here's the sprite list for every mob in the game, knock yourself out" and call it a day... which would be wholly unsatisfying because if you can't see the half-dozen gaping mouths you've grafted onto your huge bird-centaur thing, what is even the point, may I ask you ?

So I wouldn't be surprised if they kept it on the back burner forever.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Hypocrisy posted:

Those build are for Unfair difficulty and thus have certain assumptions that are irrelevant to every other difficulty. Those builds also have some wrong rear end ideas (I'm still mad about the Rogue analysis).

The full BAB thing with rogue is absolutely a point, in the context of PFK's hosed up stat inflation and gigantic AC values for every single enemy including trash mobs.

Also, even in the tabletop there's no reason to use rogue when slayer exists.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

pentyne posted:

I finished the game on Hard and didn't multiclass most party members. Octavia is set up as an Arcane Trickster so she got to be one. Amiri got a few levels of Spawn Slayer because it fits her character and Sneak Attack is good. Valerie took Stalwart Defender levels but I didn't use her a lot; I'm also pretty sure going full Stalwart Defender does not qualify as optimized.
My main character was a Sylvan Sorcerer which is very strong but he wasn't min-maxed. I respecced him to switch his spells around once and made sure to max out his Persuasion with all the gear I could find that boosts it, but apart from that he wasn't incredibly optimized.
I did exploit CC, though, specifically the Delay Poison + Stinking Cloud trick that probably everyone will stumble into at some point.

So I'll just second what Hypocrisy said: I would definitely start on a lower difficulty and then gradually increase it until you find a level of difficulty that is right for you. Especially since the early game can be a slog otherwise as you just don't have enough abilities yet to make it interesting, so I wouldn't necessarily start on Hard or even just Challenging. You can easily customize the difficulty later on so it's always possible to find a medium between insta-gibbing every enemy and having to optimize every character.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Roadie posted:

The full BAB thing with rogue is absolutely a point, in the context of PFK's hosed up stat inflation and gigantic AC values for every single enemy including trash mobs.

Also, even in the tabletop there's no reason to use rogue when slayer exists.

Ehhh, Unchained Rogue (which is what's used in the game) still has some uses for a party compared to Slayer. Setting aside the free finesse and Dex-to-Damage, Debilitating Injury is a fairly good customizable debuff(s once you get the proper advanced skill) to toss on enemies for the whole party, and it's untyped which means it stacks with everything. At the tabletop Rogue's Edge has at least some niche uses too, but that was removed (with nothing to replace it).

In the context of Kingmaker specifically, Rogue also gets significantly more sneak attack dice which is relevant given how easy it is to apply in the game. Now admittedly you could just take 4 levels of Rogue and the rest Slayer and get almost everything relevant that's different, but that's getting into multiclassing chat.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
I tried building a Slayer and I still am having trouble seeing why anyone would ever play one instead of a Rogue. Especially in Kingmaker.

I guess better BAB and easier chance at getting all those two weapon fighting feats. But their Sneak Attack seems so much worse. And in Kingmaker at least the extra sneak attack really comes in handy.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Only thing better than a dino pet is a dino pet with teamwork feats, this last goal is hype. :cheers:

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Avalerion posted:

Only thing better than a dino pet is a dino pet with teamwork feats, this last goal is hype. :cheers:

And slacker backers & preorders virtually guarantee we'll get it, even if we end up a couple dozen thousand short.

It's been a good campaign and I am excited as hell for this next year.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Can any pathfinder knowers chime in on how mounted combat works? That seems like another thing that could get difficult unless the game is designed around that from the groundup. Or can you ride your horse or dragon mount into a dungeon?

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Avalerion posted:

Can any pathfinder knowers chime in on how mounted combat works? That seems like another thing that could get difficult unless the game is designed around that from the groundup. Or can you ride your horse or dragon mount into a dungeon?

Sure can if the corridors are wide enough. And you have enough clear space to charge. And there aren’t obstacles in the way. Or stairs.

The last time a player in our group tried to play on a horse, it got left outside every dungeon.

That being said, if all the conditions are good for a charge, something will die. You can do ride by attacks as well. Who knows how it will be implemented in the next computer game. Stuff like this really wants turn based combat.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Do casters or archers get any benefit from being on a horse?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Avalerion posted:

I'm not really qualified to answer but I was curious anyway. The rules seem pretty cool and relatively manageable.

https://aonprd.com/Rules.aspx?Name=Mounted%20Combat&Category=Special%20Attacks

Archers don't get an advantage for high ground, but melee attacks do. However, archers can take full attacks while mount moves, and with a penalty attack while the mount is going extra fast or double-move.
Casters can cast normally if you have the mount move before or after you cast. Otherwise there are concentration checks because of the motion.The main benefit of firing while in movement comes with a penalty, so it's a cool option if you need it but not much there to build like a mounted wizard or ranger.

The mounted combat rules for 5E in comparison barely exist, I have a cool mount through Find Steed, but in combat it's actually better to not mount it and just have it as an extra body and turn of attacks.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

wheres the kickstarter goal for guns, cowards

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

And ninjas. :argh:

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Avalerion posted:

And ninjas. :argh:

Ninjas and Samurais if they attempt to Salvage jade Regent. Gunslinger if they do Iron gods. Investigator/Vigilante if they Do Council of Thieves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Berke Negri posted:

wheres the kickstarter goal for guns, cowards

Not a great month to sell people a game about shooting demons.