Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

bump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

bump

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
old growth forests are a precious resource for us to harvest vitality from

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
spring time returns soon and i think this thread will pick way up again

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

it’s literally just turned autumn 🥺

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

:kiddo:

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

if i can't do anything this summer because the world is on fire again i'm going to lose my mind

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

become one with the fire

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Jonny 290 posted:

i'm already going to parks when i can, can't wait to do real hikes

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i went on a hike and took a bad picture for your viewing pleasure

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

replaced my worn out boots with a new pair of the exact same type, excited to go walk up some mountains

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

i went on a hike and took a bad picture for your viewing pleasure

nice leav

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
it didnt involve much nature but i went on my first real motorcycle ride of the year today.

well i went on 3 of them

big bike, then little bike, then big bike again

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I took last week off and have been back at work for an hour and am already wistfully looking at pictures

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i went for a walk outside at lunch and listened to the wind blowing through some trees

it ain't much but it's something

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
i was told to post here because every time i get this feeling, i wander off into north minnesota with my telescope and take space pictures to remind me how meaningless the daily grind of working tech is

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Awesome pics. What do you use to photograph those

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
The top one is:

Skywatcher Esprit80 Apochromatic Refractor @400mm f/5
ZWO ASI294MC-Pro (captures)
ZWO ASI120MM-Mini (guiding)
SkyWatcher EQ6-R Pro mount
a whole bunch of software to run captures, guiding, corrections, and processing

The other two are the same gear, but with a 8" Newtonian Reflector @1000mm f/5 instead of the Skywatcher Esprit80. Better focal length so it's good for galaxies and smaller objects, but it's dirt cheap an the optics are not very good. The Esprit80 is so much nicer.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

I've sorted all my hiking kit and want it to be warm so I can use it now

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ambient oatmeal posted:

I've sorted all my hiking kit and want it to be warm so I can use it now

have u considered: cold-weather hiking kit

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Captain Foo posted:

nordic skiing is fun

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Captain Foo posted:

I'd basically just need a lower temperature top and underquilt but expensive so not yet

Hammocks rule

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

cold weather hiking is nice, especially since there are far less people out ruining it

cold weather camping is not so fun

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
yeah I almost got hypothermia once winter camping , it was not great

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
i camped out in a desert last spring and it was really novel and fun to have to sleep through overnight lows in the 20s for a couple days only to have it warm right back up to ~40s-50s in the daytime

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

in grad school we used to spend every spring break (and sometimes finals week too) in Joshua tree climbing

it was always awesome but occasionally the weather was wretched. I remember camping there in the winter, too, but there's something very different about spending a couple weeks in desert cold that a weekend trip doesn't quite capture. good times.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I went to Joshua tree last December and it was the perfect weather to dick around in the desert. Lots of nice signs warning you "PEOPLE HAVE DIED ON THIS TRAIL. PEOPLE JUST LIKE YOU" because they don't have enough water, but it was in the 50's and 60's most of the days so it was pretty easy going.

They're not kidding around though

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

bumping with past photos because i live in the cold grey hell

from mt. adams hike and a mtb ride where i was definitely a professional

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
good poo poo friend

Kind Friend
Sep 9, 2013

yesterday I quit my tech job to wander the earth. I'm hiking the PCT this summer. just gotta coast through 3 more weeks of working from home before I can pack my bags and leave the bay area forever, inshah allah.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Kind Friend posted:

yesterday I quit my tech job to wander the earth. I'm hiking the PCT this summer. just gotta coast through 3 more weeks of working from home before I can pack my bags and leave the bay area forever, inshah allah.

heck yes

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Kind Friend posted:

you are an inspiration to us all

post pics

Kind Friend
Sep 9, 2013

yeah i'll definitely share pics. i'm tryna set up a personal blog too but i think i'll be more motivated to make progress on that once i stop working.

just found this thread even though i've been lurking in yospos for years. good stuff. here's a pic from my recent trip to Yosemite at the top of Eagle Peak. We camped up there that same night and it was fuckin dope. No one else around on a friday night in winter.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

hell yeah

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
so who else is thinking about finalizing their retreat from [sub]urban society this week and just going to be a hairy mountain person in the woods

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Jonny 290 posted:

so who else is thinking about finalizing their retreat from [sub]urban society this week and just going to be a hairy mountain person in the woods

give me another month or two

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Jonny 290 posted:

i've lived at the base of the rocky mountains my entire life, and ever since i was 13 i've fantasized about dropping out and being a mountain man. i think i'd be dead in a month

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
sounds like heaven