Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's hilarious how it leaked. A cam girl that one of the organizers regularly hires for one on one sessions leaked it to her 5 days ago and she posted about it.

Another reason to support sex workers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Hat Thoughts posted:

Well, I think that's true to an extent but also has a lot to do with how money is being spent. Constraints in game dev are not just technical but budgetary.
Nintendo is in a unique situation because they have a ton of money & time to refine and exact their art style (and direct access/proximity between devs & system engineers since it's all under the same umbrella), obviously Nintendo has a history of cultivating and maintaining incredibly talented designers but it's not like "devs" overall don't care about making things artistically interesting. It's just worth considering there's almost no other large-company that is willing to invest the time & cash into the process (especially when "realistic" is the stylistic marker that's already been focus-tested to success), maybe the closest you'd get is someone like Media Molecule, who, with Dreams, has a similar backing of first-party freedom 2 play with the console they're on, but obviously their interests lie more in messing with the limits of user-generated content, so that limits their aesthetic choices.
Of course, as u said, NIntendo flexing this skill is going 2 be to their exponential benefit but I just don't think it's fair to say it's lack of Devs caring, like, what can they do u know? Ubisoft has like 3 devs who decide how all their games are ( altho supposdly they're mixing that up now ) & asset creation spread out across approx. 432 countries. It's just another casualty of games photocopying over the Blockbuster/tiny studio model of movies. Where u can see a difference in (some) indie devs but they're always gonna be working with totally different constraints cuz nobody's interested in things that don't make enough money to buy 3 houses in San Francisco ($1,000000000000).

The Nintendo approach also has its advantages in that it doesn't have the diminishing returns, where making a ton of assets from subsidiaries doesn't mean much when they're thrown about increasingly haphazardly in generic environments that the players have no reason to care about and will rapidly come to ignore. Luigi's Mansion being a take on horror games seems to be a strength here, since they usually involve small and detailed environments that are designed to evoke atmosphere, and are most effective when they feel like real places, while the collectibles aspect means you have a reason to search every nook and cranny and so very little goes unappreciated. Hitman also comes to mind as a game where you have very detailed environments and a reason to appreciate them, since they're all about trying to figure out every hazard and what you can use to your advantage.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Inzombiac posted:

People have routinely missed that Sprite is a boy. They use he/him pronouns.

I guess boys can't be cute as hell, huh?!

The German translation I played as a kid straight-up made the sprite a girl and now I'm forever cursed to get irrationaly angry when people start misgendering her

Edit:

Also the re-done translation on Switch still has her as a girl, so we Germans have officially strong opinions on sprite-genders. :lol:

Libluini fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Mar 11, 2020

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Libluini posted:

The German translation I played as a kid straight-up made the sprite a girl and now I'm forever cursed to get irrationaly angry when people start misgendering her

Edit:

Also the re-done translation on Switch still has her as a girl, so we Germans have officially strong opinions on sprite-genders. :lol:

Haha, that's wild.
I'll fully admit that I thought Sprite was a girl the first couple of times I played SOM.

Also, yeah, it doesn't matter in the least if they're a boy, girl or neither.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

How is Super Mario Party? I used to love Mario Party back in the day, but haven't played since the Gamecube.

Also, any recommendations for a space sim/flying around exploring game ala NMS or Elite: Dangerous?

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Casu Marzu posted:

How is Super Mario Party? I used to love Mario Party back in the day, but haven't played since the Gamecube.

Also, any recommendations for a space sim/flying around exploring game ala NMS or Elite: Dangerous?

Do not buy Super Mario Party. Half done game.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Casu Marzu posted:

It’s just like Mario party but much more streamlined quicker to get through, they cut out the fat and it has an interesting team mode and more dice mechanics, overall it’s good fun multiplayer but nothing mind blowing. A solid 7-8 out of ten.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Give the gamers what they want

Give us the Mario Party Collection

Give us the Omniparty - 50 turns and a random map from each game in sequence

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I am playing the original DOOM for the first time! I'm enjoying it a lot, but I'm really bad at finding the secrets...

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

PantsBandit posted:

I am playing the original DOOM for the first time! I'm enjoying it a lot, but I'm really bad at finding the secrets...

Same here! Some are very clear due to the fantastic level design, but I am totally clueless about a lot of them, even if I can visually see the secret area I have no idea where the entrances are.

The game holds up.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Came up before, but the Doom maps all have a tell for secrets, just every map designer has different ideas of what a tell is.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

*lights up huge arrow on floor pointing at wall* im a genius

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I am really really curious to find out what the gently caress is a Lego Mario.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Al-Saqr posted:

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Al-Saqr posted:

I'm kinda expecting stuff along the lines of the 8-bit Mario amiibo.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Well, now I have SML2 music playing in my head. It's a good thing.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

enojy posted:

I'm kinda expecting stuff along the lines of the 8-bit Mario amiibo.

My guess is just Mario themed Lego sets

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Why not both a new game and some new sets.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Al-Saqr posted:

The next and final game style for Mario Maker 2

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Minidust posted:

Hopefully not, but oh well if so, I'm sticking to my boycott unless they add smb2.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Cartoon Man posted:

Why not both a new game and some new sets.
Every block in a set is an amiibo.

Or you have to assemble levels out of blocks to play, like it's Starlink.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Minidust posted:

I'm convinced more than ever that the reason the sales are so below expectations is the lack of Doki Doki Panic mechanics.

No Mario USA?

NO SALE. :911:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

bushisms.txt posted:

Hopefully not, but oh well if so, I'm sticking to my boycott unless they add smb2.

You're missing out on a poo poo ton of good Mario.

With SMB2, there'll be two poo poo tons, that's all. Goddamn I hope they add it soon.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Direct better an hour long

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Len posted:

My guess is just Mario themed Lego sets

There's been a SKU and price leak suggesting this. No pictures or names yet but over 10 Lego sets

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The Bloop posted:

There's been a SKU and price leak suggesting this. No pictures or names yet but over 10 Lego sets

These may be the first Legos I buy since I was a kid.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The Bloop posted:

Gonna get these for my kid....yeah...for my kid.
:ninja:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Silly Nintendo, not updating Mario Maker, and instead releasing a literal Mario Maker set. It'll actually likely be really cool, if not expensive

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Part numbers and prices for the 14 Nintendo sets

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Infinitum posted:

Last call for Animal Crossing gangtags.

Post in the AC thread

I'm sorry there's an AC gangtag?

There's an AC thread?

I should stop just looking at only my bookmarked threads once in awhile.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Guessing the $100 is like Bowser’s castle or Peach’s castle.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Well looks like I'm gonna be spending $500 on Lego sets in the future.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
That's amusing as Nintendo made their own LEGO knockoffs, the N&B Blocks. Water under a bridge I guess.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ExcessBLarg! posted:

That's amusing as Nintendo made their own LEGO knockoffs, the N&B Blocks. Water under a bridge I guess.

OK, so 6 Golden Coins was definitely Nintendo pulling form their back catalog of toys and using the N&B blocks in a Mario game.

That page talks about a clock, a rabbit and bells, all of which are themes of, or featured in 6GC, not to mention the block levels themselves

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
E3 is cancelled and Nintendo doesn’t give a gently caress

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Cartoon Man posted:

Guessing the $100 is like Bowser’s castle or Peach’s castle.

Which one will Peach be in?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Spacebump posted:

Please explain what you mean by this, I don't think of XCOM as an action game but only played it for an hour or so.

You go through a set series of handmade missions with a relatively consistent team, so beating each stage is kind of like solving a puzzle. Each arena and unit is deliberately placed to create a specific challenge. In XCOM you fully build your team from scratch and missions are semi random.

It's not a 1:1 comparison but it is a pretty stark difference. I liked Mario vs Rabbids a lot.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

dublish posted:

Which one will Peach be in?

Neither. Instead there's a little sign you place in both reading, "Sorry, the princess is in another castle."

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Is Tiny Metal and its sequel actually any good? I was a big Advance Wars guy and while I didn't hate Wargroove, it didn't quite scratch the same itch. Only ask because it looks like it gets a crossover DLC tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/tinymetalgame/status/1237756342510571520

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

E3 is cancelled and Nintendo doesn’t give a gently caress