Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Miranda posted:

I know a pediatric cardiologist who is taking his wife and kids on a Disney cruise in a few weeks! :crossarms:

Doctors(especially surgeons) can be incredibly dumb.

corona-related snype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
My penis feels burny..Do I have the coro? :eek:

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

henpod posted:

No, u got the gono

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Still lolling at the guy who posted a log-scale chart to try and disprove exponential case growth

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

henpod posted:

If it starts coughing seek medical help.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Wife just got an email this morning that the building she works in has a confirmed case. Looks like I need to buy a new router because she gets to work from home now starting tomorrow.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Michigan State University just went online only for the rest of the semester. I am a PCP and do student health. I probably have it by now.

I guess this is goodbye. I love most of you.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

shame on an IGA posted:

Still lolling at the guy who posted a log-scale chart to try and disprove exponential case growth

I'm not surprised people don't understand math, I'm surprised at how people will double down on their ignorance even after being repeatedly bashed over the head with the facts. It just sucks when you need collective action to fix something, and it just won't happen because of said ignorance and stupidity.

On a somewhat related note, my Plague Inc games use the name Ignorance. Ignorance has killed humanity many times over.

occluded
Oct 31, 2012

Sandals: Become the means to create A JUST SOCIETY

Fun Shoe
Just recovered from a super-quick miniflu with a dry cough. That's phase one of the 'roni, right? I'll update you all tomorrow when I hit the lung chainsaw/meatgrinder phase.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
im more amused that he claimed norovirus had a 7% fatality rate

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Rad-daddio posted:

Doctors(especially surgeons) can be incredibly dumb.

corona-related snype

assume dumb unless proven otherwise

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i was in three airports yesterday (burbank, denver, albany) and everything seemed like business as usual. saw one or two people wearing masks in denver, none at the other airports or on the planes, and the planes were fairly full. dudes did seem to be washing their hands a bit more thoroughly then usual so i guess thats good

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Yeah I cant really grind my life to a halt because I might get the flu. I take the train to work and go to the gym almost every day so I'll probably get sick eventually. I am okay with this since I can work from home just fine

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

im currently on tour thousands of miles from my home, if i got sick i guess i'd have to self quarantine in some lovely motel in upstate new york or something which would probably suck a lot more than being sick

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

I gotta fly to Florida sometime in the next couple weeks for work. I have no reason to think I've been exposed (more than anyone else at least, it's everywhere but there isn't a confirmed case in my office or neighborhood or anything), but I'm still wondering if I ought to track down a couple masks for the flights just as a precaution. Don't want to freak out other flyers though.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Delta-Wye posted:

I put some dates for you for clarification. If the inflection point is out 9 months, then an exponential model fits nicely. Hopefully that is not the case, because there is a lot of room to grow between now and then. Unfortunately, these world graphs, due to being on a log scale, show no obvious inflection points.

The dark blue line specifically shows strong growth still and that is not a good fact.

:doink:

So China basically has it contained while the rest of the world has no idea what they're doing.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

smoobles posted:

So China basically has it contained while the rest of the world has no idea what they're doing.

Eventually China will have to reverse quarantine or start importing cases from elsewhere.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

smoobles posted:

South Korea, Vietnam and Singapore are also doing pretty well. Vietnam is up 1-0 against Corona even.

Most other countries are hosed though, yeah.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

smoobles posted:

there is no way to prevent this from spreading exponentially eventually without a vaccine. quarantines are only a delay at this point

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Zzulu posted:

Yeah I cant really grind my life to a halt because I might get the flu. I take the train to work and go to the gym almost every day so I'll probably get sick eventually. I am okay with this since I can work from home just fine

You don't have to grind your life to a halt but taking some precautions is a decent idea. Limit your exposure to large groups of people as much as you can. Wash your hands. Don't travel unless it's for a very good reason.

For me the only activities I plan to engage with that involve other closer contact with other people are exercising and being in the office. The latter I plan to avoid as much as possible but unfortunately I probably don't have full carte blanche at my job to work remote all the time. But I will be doing so at least a few times a week.

Do what you gotta do but if you can avoid large groups of people do that where possible imo.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth

bob dobbs is dead posted:

im more amused that he claimed norovirus had a 7% fatality rate

Can we combine Noro and Corona somehow to create the ultimate of virus spraying sickness?

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

Baller Time posted:

Can we combine Noro and Corona somehow to create the ultimate of virus spraying sickness?

Get someone infected with Noro and sometime with Corona to double team a pangolin and let's find out!

Philadelphia learned their lesson a century late, and cancelled their St. Patrick's day parade. So that's some good news at least!

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Baller Time posted:

You're not familiar with the Norona virus?

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Spazzle posted:

You're not familiar with the Norona virus?

Make it Ebonorona to maximize the potency of your body fluids.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
35 miles south of Seattle.
All.after school events canceled
All parent teacher conferences canceled
Book fair canceled
I have a wet cough...

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Still no cases reported in my county but it’s definitely here.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Ginette Reno posted:

You don't have to grind your life to a halt but taking some precautions is a decent idea. Limit your exposure to large groups of people as much as you can. Wash your hands. Don't travel unless it's for a very good reason.

I mean, that would be grinding my life to a halt. I have to take the metro to work which already exposes me to hundreds of people every day and the gym is my only hobby. Can't really stop working and I don't want to give up the one thing I find fun during my offtime in order to avoid a flu

I do wash my hands tho :shobon:

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I hadn't anticipated this... the virus is unstoppable now

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Zudgemud posted:

Make it Ebonorona to maximize the potency of your body fluids.

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

Lol cool. The subtweet too:

"Update: NBC News reporting that University officials have stated that students were not protesting coronavirus response, but were simply holding a gathering in light of the news."

https://twitter.com/IGD_News/status/1237673906485542913?s=19

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Hospitals are cancelled.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009
Wonder what the US prison riots are going to look like, that poo poo is going to be wild.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Objurium posted:

Lol cool. The subtweet too:

"Update: NBC News reporting that University officials have stated that students were not protesting coronavirus response, but were simply holding a gathering in light of the news."

https://twitter.com/IGD_News/status/1237673906485542913?s=19

isnt it illegal to evict people from their homes on one weeks notice?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Zzulu posted:

I mean, that would be grinding my life to a halt. I have to take the metro to work which already exposes me to hundreds of people every day and the gym is my only hobby. Can't really stop working and I don't want to give up the one thing I find fun during my offtime in order to avoid a flu

Yeah I mean I play hockey once or twice a week and I don't plan to give that up unless it starts hitting my area hard. But I do plan on limiting my exposure to other people otherwise outside of that and work. I have also cancelled travel plans I had.

With luck this thing will be controlled enough that most of us won't have to be affected by it, but the early signs are not good.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Lol my company got a case but they won't tell us which branch, we just know it's somewhere in the city.

Also my coworker comes bac from some women UN thing in NY in a couple weeks, gonna start wfh for a while, probably

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Rutibex posted:

isnt it illegal to evict people from their homes on one weeks notice?

There's probably some legal loophole for school housing.

As a resident of Ohio, who technically was evicted (I just up and left the old apartment), it took about 10 weeks.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Zzulu posted:

Things like this make me glad I work alone in an office building and can get my workouts in while everyone is basically just Not Around.

Otherwise I have parents that are in their mid-70s and would like them to keep living, so I'm trying to be even more isolated than usual.

Svensken
May 29, 2010
From my understanding were essentially trying to stay the spread as much as we can until a vaccine it's developed. With the added bonus that any significant destiny of infection would cripple the regional healthcare systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

Svensken posted:

From my understanding were essentially trying to stay the spread as much as we can until a vaccine it's developed. With the added bonus that any significant destiny of infection would cripple the regional healthcare systems.

The vaccine is just a pipe dream. The current objective is to slow the spread down enough that all hospitals and whatever temporary treatment centers there will be won't be overrun by cases.