Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

how is this an actual story this is like the kind of poo poo racist expats make up about the countries they live in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

The kids will all be given a plastic key to heaven

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol

https://twitter.com/barbarastarrcnn/status/1236993375351570433?s=20

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
thank you MBS for being such a stupid pissbaby that you caused the second great depression

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

https://twitter.com/jacksanders1965/status/1237021578698919937

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice

Darkman Fanpage posted:

hezbollah seems to be staying out of it.

War Nerd episode 218 has a fantastic overview of the origins of Lebanon's banking crisis, and yeah, Hezbollah has made it clear they don't have anything to do with it.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/DrTedros/status/1237034194355867648?s=20

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

So whose ship was it? Not entirely clear from the tweet.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Sinking a Russian-flagged ship would really be the icing on the cake right now

sum
Nov 15, 2010

What's the point of running a protection racket across the entire Arabian peninsula if one of your client kingdoms just crashes your fuckin economy in a trade war anyway? Trump's not even good at imperialism

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

sum posted:

What's the point of running a protection racket across the entire Arabian peninsula if one of your client kingdoms just crashes your fuckin economy in a trade war anyway? Trump's not even good at imperialism

shocking

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Galaxy brain move here would be to provoke Iran into blowing up Saudi's refineries again

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

sum posted:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1237024549046288385

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe

just in time to self quarantine and not go anywhere for 2 weeks, lol

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Saudi Arabia needs $80 oil to break even and Boy Wonder Bonesaw just tanked the market lol

There's been widespread belief in CSPAM that the Saudi state's days are numbered, and I have to think those days just got much shorter

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Hold up now, wasn't it Russia who blew up this truce and triggered this price crash?

Not to defend the KSA's foreign policy in general, but the mad bullshit seems to have been coming from the other side of the table this time.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

Hold up now, wasn't it Russia who blew up this truce and triggered this price crash?

Not to defend the KSA's foreign policy in general, but the mad bullshit seems to have been coming from the other side of the table this time.

lol where do you get that from this article? the whole thing reads as MBS asking them to do something they didn't want to do and then destroying the global oil market in a pout

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
So oil is...good now?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lol where do you get that from this article? the whole thing reads as MBS asking them to do something they didn't want to do and then destroying the global oil market in a pout

The downward pressure on oil came from COVID-19. Basically, all this industrial shutdown means that there's less demand for the same supply, and oil prices were projected to go from their current slow decline into freefall. Since a significant amount of the world economy is tied to the price of oil, OPEC wanted to limit production in order to keep oil at about the same price and not cause any global ripples. When they checked with Russia, though, Putin said 'lolnope' and pulled out of their long-standing price-fixing alliance. The KSA cutting its export prices was a defensive measure, since Russia had made it clear they'd be keeping up production during the price-drop in order to hoover up market share.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

i feel like there's a middle ground MBS could have opted for between "accept the russian position" and "kickstart the second great depression"

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i feel like there's a middle ground MBS could have opted for between "accept the russian position" and "kickstart the second great depression"

Depends what the KSA's COVID-19 oil price projections looked like, I guess. We really don't know how bad a 'natural' crash might have been in comparison - a less sharp drop, yes, but how much less sharp?

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Raskolnikov38 posted:

like asking gina or mark to send over some more targeted persuasion

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Darth Walrus posted:

Here's a good description of what happened: https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/03/09/opec-russia-shale-oil-price-collapse/

Yes, Russia didn't agree to OPEC's proposed cuts, but then KSA initiated a production war by ramping up production

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Here's a good description of what happened: https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/03/09/opec-russia-shale-oil-price-collapse/

Yes, Russia didn't agree to OPEC's proposed cuts, but then KSA initiated a production war by ramping up production

Yeah, but that was still the first shot fired in a war Russia had declared by walking away from a long-standing pact in the middle of an international crisis. I would assume that Russia also wished to ramp up production - otherwise, what was the point of no longer working with its competitors?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Yeah, but that was still the first shot fired in a war Russia had declared by walking away from a long-standing pact in the middle of an international crisis. I would assume that Russia also wished to ramp up production - otherwise, what was the point of no longer working with its competitors?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I remember OPEC has failed to cut production since basically forever. That problem didn't spring fully formed from Vladimir Putin's forehead.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Didn't Saudi Arabia do basically this same thing to kill the North American shale and oil sand industries that were competing with OPEC? That didn't do too well either iirc.

Syncopated has issued a correction as of 13:27 on Mar 10, 2020

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

genericnick posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I remember OPEC has failed to cut production since basically forever. That problem didn't spring fully formed from Vladimir Putin's forehead.

Eh, the pact with Russia has been around for a while, and did result in a mild throttle on production. They just wanted to step it up to mitigate a crisis and one of the members of the pact refused. Like, yes, Russia was acting in accordance with general petrostate culture, but it was still the one that kicked it all off this time.

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

sum posted:

Galaxy brain move here would be to provoke Iran into blowing up Saudi's refineries again

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Afghan government to release 1,500 Taliban prisoners as a move to launch direct talks, a decree shows

This starts tomorrow. 100 prisoners a day for the next 15 days.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Now this, meanwhile, is some authentic, purestrain Saudi bullshit.

https://twitter.com/middleeasteye/status/1237402859471282176?s=21

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Darth Walrus posted:

Now this, meanwhile, is some authentic, purestrain Saudi bullshit.

https://twitter.com/middleeasteye/status/1237402859471282176?s=21

It's going to be a real laugh riot if he fucks this up

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

It's going to be a real laugh riot if he fucks this up

poo poo its already a laugh riot. What a fuckin rube. Just a big beautiful dummy

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

hoo boy
https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/1237835953978441728

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/nafisehkBBC/status/1237834471858155520?s=20

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/SecPompeo/status/1237920302421741568?s=19

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

when yer empire is definitely NOT collapsing

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

lmao wtf is happening? Going with "Saudi Arabia false flagging the US in to a war with Iran to lower global oil production to fix the mess they are in" until someone has something that is actually reasonable to explain it

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

TeenageArchipelago posted:

lmao wtf is happening? Going with "Saudi Arabia false flagging the US in to a war with Iran to lower global oil production to fix the mess they are in" until someone has something that is actually reasonable to explain it

The Mahdi Army, Muqtada al-Sadr's resistance movement, officially reactivated after Soleimani's death and sided with Iran (significant because Sadr's an Iraqi nationalist who's always been slightly chilly with Iran). It was only a matter of time before poo poo would kick off.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

i love how Iran waited till a crescendo of max chaos with MBS ascension, oil prices wars, flu, and travel bans to just stir the ol pot some more. huge troll move. this will clearly end well.

e: wait...it was sadr?

guidoanselmi has issued a correction as of 08:27 on Mar 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

guidoanselmi posted:

e: wait...it was sadr?

*The Boys Are Back in Town rises to a crescendo in the distance*