Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Wicker Man posted:

Thor Ragnarok is weird, I remember Jeff Goldblum and something about fighting in an arena but everything else in the entire movie is completely forgotten. I can't recall anything else except a general sense of "it was alright" that lasted for maybe 10 minutes.

That was most of the movie tbh

Then a few snippets of that elf lady from lord of the rings murdering some dudes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
the greatest trick taika waititi ever pulled was convincing the world that Thor: Ragnarok was a good movie

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
It's absolutely on par with guardians of the galaxy

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

luchajones posted:

After being forced to watch more Picard, Rich is making some gallows

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

thor 3 was one of my favorite marvel movies just because i was rarely bored and it was fun. but yeah, all scenes involving blanchett were the worst parts (not her fault)

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

No sign of the Freaked re:View they mentioned doing last month :ohdear:

Also I read VCR Repair Virgins yesterday and now I hate Dan Aykroyd's vodka.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Hackers film 1995 posted:

thor 3 was one of my favorite marvel movies just because i was rarely bored and it was fun. but yeah, all scenes involving blanchett were the worst parts (not her fault)

I appreciated how even the movie didn't give a poo poo about Hela and she spent the whole movie getting increasingly annoyed that nobody really cared about her plotline.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i liked how the boys were really down on her as a villain but then a week later the justice league movie came out and they were like "jesus this poo poo makes cate blanchett's thor ragnarok villain look so much better"

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
She looked great gothed up.

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

piratepilates posted:

was this the thread that was talking about matte paintings?

a good painter can really infuse a sense of interesting atmosphere through the lighting. I think the inherent simplicity and abstraction in painting makes the setting come alive in a way that cg, with its infinite detail and expansive technical capability, loses and ends up looking artificial as a result.

Duality:

Back in the days of film when matte painting was big, first-run projectors were of arguably superior quality to even current digital projectors. Passing a matte as real was arguably more difficult to pull off back then, so they had to work hard. Film grain does help a lot - the bits of random noise can really seal the deal which is obvious when you think of CG being too clean without any dirt on it - but the overall resolution was tremendous on some of those films so it hardly matters.

Back in the days of film when matte painting was big, pretty much everyone you know who's a massive film buff today only saw important movies like Star Wars on a several-generation-old grindhouse print, or a recorded-off-broadcast VHS in SLP. So even the worst matte paintings didn't stand out, and imagination filled in the pits and scars in the print.

So there's a lot of reasons why matte paintings worked better in the old days, and your average terrible green screen modern filmmaker is totally ignorant of all of this because they just think old movies looked like rear end so who cares this is cutting edge. [Insert shot of Tron guy with his balls showing.] If they wanted their effects to work they'd either film grain the poo poo out of their movie (the found footage horror subgenre, Turbokid) or they'd target formats that kill the resolution (I just saw a Bandcamp release of horror film student crap on VHS this week).

Drunken Baker posted:

She looked great gothed up.

So hot. They needed to shoot a lot more promo of her in the suit.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

revwinnebago posted:

So hot. They needed to shoot a lot more promo of her in the suit.

The best part? In an interview, she mentioned how she absolutely loved wearing that skintight suit and showing off how fit she'd gotten for the role, because it was so different from the type of roles she usually gets. :quagmire:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

PostNouveau posted:

gently caress yeah more Picard

Eh. Hopefully it's either shorter than the last one or Mike's found something to talk about that he didn't say in the re:View of the pilot. There's just nothing happening in that show. It's bad, but it's certainly not uniquely bad enough episode to episode to generate content for three hour long reviews

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Mar 12, 2020

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
The problem with more Picard reviews past this last one that was released is that it means I have to watch more Picard, too.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Arcsquad12 posted:

I appreciated how even the movie didn't give a poo poo about Hela and she spent the whole movie getting increasingly annoyed that nobody really cared about her plotline.
She was just evil to be evil, it was the weakest part of the movie

The scenes where they cut back to Asgard after she shows up were the worst part

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I thought it was funny how Karl Urban just kept downplaying the fact that there was a huge rebellion going on outside and Hela was irritated while loafing around the throne room.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I've been enjoying "Newcomers", and I think y'all probably would too. It's a podcast with two standups (Lauren Lapkus and Nicole Byer) who have never seen any Star Wars watching every Star Wars movie and they loving hate all of them (except Return of the Jedi).

https://headgum.com/newcomers-star-wars-with-lauren-lapkus-and-nicole-byer

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Movies and sports are cancelled.

:rip: HITB

Nothing to do but drink and watch old movies now

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

infernal machines posted:

Eh. Hopefully it's either shorter than the last one or Mike's found something to talk about that he didn't say in the re:View of the pilot. There's just nothing happening in that show. It's bad, but it's certainly not uniquely bad enough episode to episode to generate content for three hour long reviews

It's making me want to watch TNG and as goofy and relatively lower budget as they were, goddamn it's infinitely better written.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

infernal machines posted:

It's a show about captain picard

mike IS going to speak about it, at length

he is star trek to his very nerd core

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Fargin Icehole posted:

It's making me want to watch TNG and as goofy and relatively lower budget as they were, goddamn it's infinitely better written.

and when it's bad it's like corny-bad instead of Boring Beige SciFi Action Show: Formulation Corresponding to Market Research Group 87A

the bad episodes are fun to watch typically

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Bonaventure posted:

the greatest trick taika waititi ever pulled was convincing the world that Thor: Ragnarok was a good movie

It was a good movie tho

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
RLM: reviews most of the MCU favourably, really enjoys a few of them

RLM thread: THEY'RE ENDLESS TRAShhhhhhhhhhhhh

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Even the AV club thought this picard ep was wack. That's a yikes from me

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Zzulu posted:

It's a show about captain picard

mike IS going to speak about it, at length

he is star trek to his very nerd core

Yeah, the last one was a bit forced though, there's only so many times you can retread the same complaints about the show. Discovery was varied enough to make a few episodes about as it found new and interesting ways to poo poo the bed. I think Picard is less so.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Moola posted:

it's true, i often disagree with their opinions

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

No Mods No Masters posted:

Even the AV club thought this picard ep was wack. That's a yikes from me

what was so bad about it?

I still haven't seen last weeks (vacation), and so far all I've seen about this one in one of the star trek threads is unrelenting positivity, which kind of scares me.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I don't watch the show, for some reason I just watch a purple hands man ramble dementiaishly about it for hours and see the AV club reviews. That said if I'm skimming this review correctly apparently someone from starfleet tells picard "shut the gently caress up" in this episode so it actually sounds pretty good to me

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
sheer loving hubris

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

With the planet shutting down the gang better quarantine together and supply us with many BOTWs.

I mean Mike would be lucky not to be murdered within the first week.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
they made an entire television show to cater to Patrick Stewart's humiliation fetish. you have to respect it

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

piratepilates posted:

what was so bad about it?

I still haven't seen last weeks (vacation), and so far all I've seen about this one in one of the star trek threads is unrelenting positivity, which kind of scares me.

The long and short of it is that this latest episode just spelled out the answers to the mystery and introduced that there are more Soji synths than just the two. They literally sit down three quarters of the way through the episode and lay everything out after showing the characters slowly reveal and conclude things for 45 minutes. It also turns out the answers were just obvious or kinda dumb. Picard says the word threshold and then Rios says "like the warp threshold" and it got a huge laugh out of me. Why would you reference the worst episode of the franchise? Why? Why? Then there's dumb poo poo like casually using a borg transwarp conduit but other stuff is so egregious that you have to ignore it.

edit: I was wrong about the warp threshold thing as I read more about the episode. It turns out it was like warp capability threshold, like your civilization invents a warp capable ship and then other races notice. So it's hinting that making good synths that take over isn't the problem, it's new mystery bad guys that just show up and kill you. It's even worse.

Lister fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Mar 12, 2020

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Moola posted:

I feel like you're making a totally legit point here but I would like to say that over the course of the past decade people have often come in here and accused our members of being in an echo chamber controlled by RLM's opinions of things to the point where we had a running joke of 'waiting till Mike tells me what I'm allowed to think' when new movies came out. This state of affairs almost has to be an improvement from that perspective!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I hope Waititi gets Rhys Darby and Jemaine Clements in his next marvel movie just kiwi the hell out of it.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The thread is always in a state of rebellion against at least one non-josh RLM. Usually it's jay, but even richevans and mike are known to come under fire

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
i legitimately did not think Thor: Ragnarok was funnier or more entertaining than any other oatmeal-flavored Marvel brand film, and i hated his big blue New Zealand alien

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Rem Lezar interview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApkHlmy6lvc

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

No Mods No Masters posted:

The thread is always in a state of rebellion against at least one non-josh RLM. Usually it's jay, but even richevans and mike are known to come under fire

They have all had bad opinions sometimes and that's ok. Jurassic World Mike, Solo Rich. Mando eventually vindicated Rich's reasoning but still :lmao:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

mallratcal posted:

With the planet shutting down the gang better quarantine together and supply us with many BOTWs.

I mean Mike would be lucky not to be murdered within the first week.

Jay, gollum like, gnawing on the leg meat of his former friends

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Milo and POTUS posted:

Jay, gollum like, gnawing on the leg meat of his former friends

please, jay's fallen hobbit days are over

now it's more likely jay's friends will be lining up to suck him off for that delicious protein

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

I... kinda like the guest? The show itself seems eh (there's like a 3 minute intro lmfao wtf) but I've also seen Jenny so in comparison these guys come off as pretty good!