Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Alaois posted:

1.) to gaslight her into joining the Massachusetts School by convincing her that because she got horny for Cannonball she lost control of her powers
2.) she didn't actually blow up a horse, she set the stable on fire and the horse died but the way its depicted sequentially

3.) being an upper middle class girl in New England is pretty sick

SiKboy posted:

On the upside, hot buttered rum is legit pretty good on a cold winters evening.

Oh gently caress.

Edit: god that's a terrible snipe, I'll edit in the original post for context.

Also, what is it with Marvel taking characters originally created for children's cartoons and giving them horrific loving backstories when they get folded into the main comics continuity? Laura/X-23/The better Wolverine was created for that X-Men Evolution cartoon and in the 616 her first appearance is as a teenage prostitute chained in a basement

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Mar 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Some writers insist it's still the 90s and that maximum grimdark is the secret to selling copies.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
If you look at it sideways, the characters deserve their amazing powers because they've suffered so much.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

It worked for spider-man and it's harder to think up new ideas, easier to just make the old ones more extreme to show you character is like this other character but more exciting.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

How Wonderful! posted:

leading a team featuring the likes of the mighty Beef

I'm days late and was going to ask if Beef was really the lamest mutant huge guy with an animal themed codename whose real name is also Buford, but yes he is.

Turns out Razorback is secretly kinda fun and badass! Who knew?

He's drivin' a truck
Drivin' a big ol' truck
Pedal to the metal, hope he don't run out of luck
Rollin' down the highway until the break of dawn
Drivin' a truck with his Pig Mask on!

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

PoptartsNinja posted:

lamest mutant huge guy

Hello I would like to nominate the extremely unfortunate Axe from that time the New Mutants went to visit Sunspot's dad. He's a mutant who works for the hellfire club as a mercenary and his power is: has an axe.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
HE CANNOT DEFEAT ME! FOR I HOLD AXE'S SECRET WEAKNESS!

A GUN!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Johnny Aztec posted:

HIS AXE!

Because I stole it!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Johnny Aztec posted:

A GUN!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR794_QBmug

The eternal truth.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

CzarChasm posted:

This is from pages ago, but there was a what if that went a little OP with iceman's powers. Gavok can probably correct me on stuff I'm getting wrong.

IIRC it was a story where Juggernaut has killed everyone in the Marvel universe but for some reason he hasn't been able to take his revenge against Charles. After a lot of stomping around the countryside, he finds a giant wall of ice in a cave or something similar. After a short while, the ice wall tells him to gently caress off, because it's actually Iceman, making himself into a giant block of ice, big enough to seal off the mouth of a cave and also be several feet thick.

Juggernaut, being a supreme dick, smashes through Bobby, killing him, naturally. Of course Charles is there along with maybe a few dozen people who were hiding out, not from Juggernaut, but some airborne super virus that was actually what killed everyone, not Juggsy. So now in the twist to the morality play that is the What If, Juggernaut has to forever walk the earth, completely alone.

Nah. It was a little different than that. This was during that Dark What If time. Sentinels had killed.. everyone, using radiation. They killed even the humans, because humans would lead to more mutants. Avengers? Dead. FF? Dead.

Years and years, Juggs wanders around killing the last of the Sentinels by himself, until.. ran into Magneto, to tries to kill him.

Realizing someone is alive, Juggs is so happy. Magneto dies due to the radiation trying to ward off Juggs, and after the battle Juggs stumbles a path blocked off by Ice Man, who lets slip there are more people. In excited jubilation for seeing others, he doesn't heed Ice Man's words, crashes through.. and lets in the deadly radiation. He's kicked out of the settlement. Forced to wander alone, because nothing can stop the unstoppable juggernaut.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
you want the real honest reason the stories of the kids in the 90s were horrific? because most 80s kids had a horror filled childhood. kidnapping child molestation murders and illict activity within families was way way way too loving common in my childhood among friends. (myself having hit 3 of the 4 marks listed) so a lot of the kids were reading poo poo they related to. lotta dark family secrets back in the 80s

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

AkumaHokoru posted:

you want the real honest reason the stories of the kids in the 90s were horrific? because most 80s kids had a horror filled childhood. kidnapping child molestation murders and illict activity within families was way way way too loving common in my childhood among friends. (myself having hit 3 of the 4 marks listed) so a lot of the kids were reading poo poo they related to. lotta dark family secrets back in the 80s

I was gonna balk at the idea that things have improved on this front, but i went and looked it up first, and whatta ya know? Child sexual abuse rates are down 40% from 1990, and presumably were as bad or worse than 1990 in the 80's. Something to genuinely feel hopeful about in our climatehell future.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

One More Fat Nerd posted:

I was gonna balk at the idea that things have improved on this front, but i went and looked it up first, and whatta ya know? Child sexual abuse rates are down 40% from 1990, and presumably were as bad or worse than 1990 in the 80's. Something to genuinely feel hopeful about in our climatehell future.

yeah but you have to look at it as writing for a generation so the stuff written in the 90s is relatable to the kids who grew up in the 80s and were now either old enough to read these comics or old enough to buy them on their own (turned 8 in 90 for example and started being allowed to travel unaccompanied)

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

sorry if this isn't very comicbooks of me but isn't that one of those things that correlates with the end of leaded gasoline?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I listen to True Crime podcasts and often they cover cases of people who serially abduct and abuse children.

One thing that becomes apparent is before the mid 80s/90's was how unaware people were of the basics of this.

Like how people didn't even understand the concept of paedophiles or that abuse could be going on inside family homes.

It wasn't (as conservatives of the time and even now painted it) the result of some moral degeneration. It was a problem that had always existed but was only now being exposed.

The figures reflect how there would have been more reporting against it. Followed by better techniques to watch out for it.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

LordSaturn posted:

sorry if this isn't very comicbooks of me but isn't that one of those things that correlates with the end of leaded gasoline?

It correlates with a bunch of things, and we (to go back to comicbooks) don't have access to alternate timelines for a proper comparison.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Now I want a comic series that follows a bold team of superheroes trying to get good data from each alternate universe for analysis about different actions. Call em the R-squad.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

habeasdorkus posted:

Now I want a comic series that follows a bold team of superheroes trying to get good data from each alternate universe for analysis about different actions. Call em the R-squad.

I think there's actually a device that does something like this in the current run of Amazing Spider-Man.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
From today's Immortal Hulk #32.
For background, the Silver Age badguy Xemnu, a telepathic yeti guy also occasionally known as The Hulk, has brainwashed the entire world into replacing most of their memories of superheroic feats with memories of him. A supporting character, the scientist Charlene McGowan, was shown in a previous part of this arc having her memories of encountering Daredevil overwritten with a false memory of encountering Xemnu.

Immortal Hulk has been a treasure for almost three dozen issues now and this scene got to me. Please read Immortal Hulk! Words by Al Ewing, pencils by Joe Bennett, inks by Ruy Jose & Belardino Brabo, colors by Paul Mounts.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Yeah it was weird to have what I thought was going to be the stand-out scene of the issue immediately one-upped, but that's what happened. That scene was such an unexpected gem and it constantly amazes me how Ewing can rubberband from horror to uplifting so effectively.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Never thought I would see the Mandella Effect being recognized in a comic, but here we go.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Kalli posted:

Hello I would like to nominate the extremely unfortunate Axe from that time the New Mutants went to visit Sunspot's dad. He's a mutant who works for the hellfire club as a mercenary and his power is: has an axe.

New Mutants had lot of these guys, one's power was having a wooden stick if I recall right. Other had, wait a minute...four arms. Evolution truly running amok.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

DarkCrawler posted:

New Mutants had lot of these guys, one's power was having a wooden stick if I recall right. Other had, wait a minute...four arms. Evolution truly running amok.

And that guy's name? "Forearm"

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

DarkCrawler posted:

You had better not be talking poo poo about Black Tom Cassidy.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The new X-Force book is pretty garbage, but ngl it's fun seeing Black Tom Cassidy getting a cool role

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

How Wonderful! posted:

You had better not be talking poo poo about Black Tom Cassidy.

Didn't that dude literally do a canon 9/11 in-universe?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

DarkCrawler posted:

The Mutant Liberation Front which Forearm was part of had another short lived member named Kamikaze.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Juggernaut pushed over the towers in the 90s. Maybe other mutants have done it too?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Kalli posted:

The Mutant Liberation Front which Forearm was part of had another short lived member named Kamikaze.

Do you have the extremely-Rob-Leifeld panel of them all where it's like every bad Leifeldian habit all in 1 panel?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Doom only cries for 9/11.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Toshimo posted:

Do you have the extremely-Rob-Leifeld panel of them all where it's like every bad Leifeldian habit all in 1 panel?

I think that's every panel involving the MLF. Comparatively few pouches though!

Man, googling for that reminded me that they had a fat guy named Sumo.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Oh man, Reaper, with the power of having a scythe, and later having a scythe-hand.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

prefect posted:

I remember browsing the adult fan fiction archive, and someone had Forearm show up in a large, epic worldwide Marvel sex story. He had two penises in that and had sex with Elektra.

A master of the written word so it was. A modern Hemmingway he was.

My favourite MLF was Zero. He was just a teleporting robot who was Stryfe’s best friend. And continued the trend of members being named after Japanese WW2 aircraft.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

prefect posted:

Liefeld made a female version of that character for Bloodstrike. Her name was Fourplay, of course.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Kalli posted:

Close, but no trash can.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Kalli posted:

Toshimo posted:

Close, but no trash can.

(Doom Force #1)

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Endless Mike posted:

Oh man, Reaper, with the power of having a scythe, and later having a scythe-hand.

An Avengers level threat.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

(Doom Force #1)

Why does Flux have a bunch of sperm on her bodysuit?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Also, who is Scratch hoping to scratch with that dildo claw?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
That's got to be satire, right? It's too on-point.