Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

I realized I don't know how widespread or known the beast is. This stuff: https://the-raceplace.com/collections/beast-tuning-tools

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Thanks Steve French and casque for the recommendations. I took a race tuning seminar at the beginning of the year and thought that all the gear was too expensive so I didn't pay attention to all the specific models they recommended but full race prep for 4 pairs of skis just cost me over $300. At that price, it makes way more sense for me to buy good sharpening gear to go along with all my waxing stuff.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I got one of these which works pretty well

https://www.toko.ch/wax-tools/tools/product/show/edge-tuner/

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
In a call back to our earlier discussion of speed, this weekend for our fun race, one of the coaches got an actual radar gun and we had a contest among the coaches to straightline the race course in a tuck and see who could radar the fastest. The fastest speed was 71 mph and second fastest was 70 mph.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I use Sidecut stuff since the owner is local. I have Swix vices though. It’s more expensive than a lot of stuff but it’s also better quality. And yeah tuning your own stuff is way more worth it, your kids should be tuning every weekend at this point.

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

Especially if you’re doing 3° instead of 1°. Your edges dull at a much faster rate.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Just getting on my flight home after spending Friday-Sunday skiing at vail. Mornings were kind of rough/hard/icy , so we stuck to the groomers in the morning and were rewarded with some decent spring skiing in the afternoon. Mongolia bowl was great/we spend a bunch of time just lapping high noon. Saturday was a tiny bit crowded but Sunday was dead. We skied a half day and did 23k, 90k for the three days together. :toot:

Crusty butt in two weeks!

Unless I get coronamumps!

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Residency Evil posted:

Just getting on my flight home after spending Friday-Sunday skiing at vail. Mornings were kind of rough/hard/icy , so we stuck to the groomers in the morning and were rewarded with some decent spring skiing in the afternoon. Mongolia bowl was great/we spend a bunch of time just lapping high noon. Saturday was a tiny bit crowded but Sunday was dead. We skied a half day and did 23k, 90k for the three days together. :toot:

Crusty butt in two weeks!

Unless I get coronamumps!

It was empty because it's March and, you see, that's no longer ski season as far as Denver is concerned

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I mean it was 72 degrees in Denver.

Keystone was also basically dead as well Sunday.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
I was in Denver sitting by a pool on a rooftop this weekend. It was lovely.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Honestly I am not ready for this yet. I need a wintry March and early April. Then I'm 110% down to spring ski, get the road bike out, and start dreaming about MTB days

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Most of the big skimo races are getting cancelled. Pierra Menta was called off and a lot of the small ones are not being held (though that may be because of snow issues).

Fingers crossed the PdG is allowed to go ahead...

E: just entered the 12km Rothwald Race and it now occurs to me that shorter races are not going to be easier than longer ones.

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Mar 10, 2020

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I feel like I'm probably not going to end up going on that ski trip to Tahoe next week :(

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I have a trip to Park City in 11 days. I have some doubts, but think it might just end up being an almost empty flight.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

The Glumslinger posted:

I feel like I'm probably not going to end up going on that ski trip to Tahoe next week :(

Why not? Supposed to actually get a real storm this weekend and no confirmed cases here yet.

...wait, yes, stay home

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Steve French posted:

Why not? Supposed to actually get a real storm this weekend and no confirmed cases here yet.

...wait, yes, stay home

Uhh, Placer County has cases, though I guess technically I'm gonna be in El Dorado County. But I still wouldn't be shocked if the resorts get closed down to try to stop the spread

Hopefully I can go because I carved out like 5 days for it and I'm already fiending for more skiing despite just getting back

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

The Glumslinger posted:

Uhh, Placer County has cases, though I guess technically I'm gonna be in El Dorado County. But I still wouldn't be shocked if the resorts get closed down to try to stop the spread

Hopefully I can go because I carved out like 5 days for it and I'm already fiending for more skiing despite just getting back

I would be shocked if they closed the resorts.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Aspen is hella infected and I think we're just gonna roll with it

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
CoronaMumps in Keystone. No one cares.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

The Glumslinger posted:

We just scheduled a trip to """"visit the inlaws"""" up in Placerville. Hopefully people are staying home so traffic in SF and Sac should be decent on friday, and then hopefully we can get in a few hours at Heavenly on sat and hit Kirkwood on sunday.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

The Glumslinger posted:

Counties up here are real wide. AFAIK the placer county cases are down near Sacramento. I'm in Nevada county, which still has nothing confirmed, even out west on the other side of the Sierras.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

My wife is totally convinced that my daughter and I are going to catch coronavirus at the Piche Invitational/Gunstock but I think I'm far more likely to catch it from my daily commute to and in Manhattan than some remote town in New Hampshire.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Vail last weekend, crested butte next weekend. Corona ain’t stopping me. :shrug:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

In XC trails and on jazz concerts, life is carrying on as normal. Have set myself the goal of 50 km minimum across Fri and Sat. Participating again in Skarverennet this year, the 37 km race which I managed to do 20 km of last year before breaking my collarbone. Conditions should be great this year, but I'm wondering if they'll cancel or not. It's not exactly a tight squeeze on the mountain, but all participants travel by train to the start.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Ola posted:

In XC trails and on jazz concerts, life is carrying on as normal. Have set myself the goal of 50 km minimum across Fri and Sat. Participating again in Skarverennet this year, the 37 km race which I managed to do 20 km of last year before breaking my collarbone. Conditions should be great this year, but I'm wondering if they'll cancel or not. It's not exactly a tight squeeze on the mountain, but all participants travel by train to the start.

...aaaaaaand it's cancelled. My remaining collarbone thanks the organisers.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Ola posted:

Bummer but my good collar bone sends vibes to your good collar bone.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Ola posted:

drat that sucks

in the US they had XC junior nationals go forward but just cancelled all the indoor events (banquets, i guess there's a dance too) which seems like a good line to walk. you really don't have a lot of contact with people if you're a participant.

Over here I did my last race of the season this past weekend. I definitely needed more recovery time than two weeks and felt absolutely awful. Simply no snap in my legs, crap cardio, and way off pace. My average HR was significantly lower than either of the other two events at the same or higher perceived effort and I finished just outside the bottom 10%.

It's been a blast actually half-seriously preparing for a proper series of races. It's been a poo poo snow year here for downhill, too. Plenty of base, but very few proper powder days, so I don't feel too bad about being a fitness nerd for a season. Depending on how fast it gets warm we probably have at least a month of XC left in the trails, but the ski hill will probably only open for two more weekends.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

No real fresh snow for my annual ski trip, but Killington and Pico were still a really good time. And my friend caught this picture as I started down Pico-

Fifty Three fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Mar 11, 2020

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Steve French posted:

...wait, yes, stay home

The forecast looks pretty nuts, double digits around the area and 20-30" at Kirkwood. Now i'm wondering if i'll be able to get up 50 at all

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

luminalflux posted:

The forecast looks pretty nuts, double digits around the area and 20-30" at Kirkwood. Now i'm wondering if i'll be able to get up 50 at all

I usually can't get out on weekends because I've got two toddlers, but they're at daycare Mondays and Tuesdays, so I'm probably gonna take two days off work next week. Crossing my fingers

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
Listening to our sales team explain that travel insurance doesn’t cover you unless you’ve actually tested positive for COVID19 is fun schadenfreude. I think most of these people aren’t actually afraid of the virus and more afraid of the beating they’re taking in a market and all of a sudden a $60,000 ski cabin doesn’t sound so great.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
They've cancelled Nor-Am Finals and Canadian Nationals at Pano.

Spring series is still on for now, but everyone is expecting they'll cancel that as well. So I might have raced my last-ever FIS race already.

Not going to lie, I am very emotional about it right now.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

HookShot posted:

Spring series is still on for now, but everyone is expecting they'll cancel that as well. So I might have raced my last-ever FIS race already.

Total bummer. If the resort is open you would think they could have the races and just no gatherings. Hard to say though. It is a total mess of changing rules and procedures at work right now for me so I can understand the action. Heck the freaking NBA suspended games.

The good news is you can go own a rec league where you can't wear speed suits next season :getin:

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Hookshot, is Whistler significantly more quiet now?. Debating whether to break my embargo next week...

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

HookShot posted:

Really sorry to hear that Hookshot. Was really hoping that you could have one final blaze of glory for your FIS racing career, Sorry that things didn't end on your terms. USSA is cancelling all remaining races. Piche Invitationals is still on for this weekend for the time being but I might show up in 5 hours to find out it's been canceled as well.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

spwrozek posted:

Total bummer. If the resort is open you would think they could have the races and just no gatherings. Hard to say though. It is a total mess of changing rules and procedures at work right now for me so I can understand the action. Heck the freaking NBA suspended games.

The good news is you can go own a rec league where you can't wear speed suits next season :getin:

Yuns posted:

Really sorry to hear that Hookshot. Was really hoping that you could have one final blaze of glory for your FIS racing career, Sorry that things didn't end on your terms. USSA is cancelling all remaining races. Piche Invitationals is still on for this weekend for the time being but I might show up in 5 hours to find out it's been canceled as well.

Thanks, guys. Yeah, I'm really bummed to not get to go out on my own terms, but at the same time, it's nice to know my last race was a Super G where I did some of my best skiing ever, on my home hill, in one of my favourite events. There are worse ways to end it.

The resort had concerns about that many Americans coming up and all staying in the hotels, apparently, since basically no one here now trusts Americans because of your government's response and there's actually been a few calls to close the border. So they haven't cancelled Spring Series yet, but they will, I'm sure.

But yeah, back to Masters racing next year. Which is still fun, but it's very different.

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Hookshot, is Whistler significantly more quiet now?. Debating whether to break my embargo next week...
It's quieter, but I wouldn't say it's quiet. It's actually more noticeable in the village than on the hill. And honestly, so far it's been to the point where I'm not sure if it's quiet because of the virus or because it hasn't really snowed all that much this past month. The one powder day a few weeks ago had huge lines for the alpine, but I mean, that's to be expected no matter what. The snow is pretty decent right now, fwiw.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
I just cancelled my trip to Tahoe next week and this is literally the first thing Twitter shows me

https://twitter.com/PowderMagazine/status/1238174379747545089

:qq:

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

A whole bunch of poo poo just got cancelled at Aspen. Tech Champs, NASTAR champs, and basically all spring events put on by the resort. We have some friends coming in this weekend I think it's mostly gonna be cook at home, board games, and stand up specials.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

The Glumslinger posted:

I just cancelled my trip to Tahoe next week and this is literally the first thing Twitter shows me

I cancelled as well :( Hopefully I can make it up next week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Eejit posted:

A whole bunch of poo poo just got cancelled at Aspen. Tech Champs, NASTAR champs, and basically all spring events put on by the resort. We have some friends coming in this weekend I think it's mostly gonna be cook at home, board games, and stand up specials.

Come hang in Moab. I am still pretty sure we are going