Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Dementropy posted:

:reddit:: "Food/Drink/Oxygen/etc. are REQUIRED for a fun exploration gameplay loop."

: "Have an extra vote.

I mean. If we ever want to experience the true colonization of a distance newly discovered world, then this has to be a part of it. Otherwise, whats the point?

Wait, we're colonizing? I thought that we were adventuring in a established world, ruled by the United Empire or something? Is'nt the UEC the United Empire Credits?
Is the guy confusing games? NMS is about exploring a vast, untouched galaxy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Hav posted:

Food poisoning, looking at some of the food scattered around. People are suggesting it’s going to be roughly coupled to game time, so you can survive a couple of weeks without food? Do you change body type? San Andreas had that years ago.

Do people in the future wash their hands? Is space clap explosive? Can you space-roofie a Star Citizen for inevitable consequence of piracy gameplay?

Need to have an itch mechanic so you can itch otherwise your screen slowly turns more and more red as you get agitated.

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all
https://www.pcgamer.com/eve-online-player-thinks-no-one-will-notice-if-he-hauls-dollar5000-worth-of-items-is-wrong/

TLDR - Old man gamer puts entire 16 year life savings (Worth estimated $5k real life bux) into a cargo mining ship and takes it through bad part of space. Gets scanned and people blow him up for funzies. Old man gamer gets mad and quits game forever.

Can’t wait for SC to come out.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

no_recall posted:

Hope everyone is doing good. COVID-19 is wrecking havok over this side of the globe.

Stay safe commandos.

Irony here is that with this pandemic, shitizens are going to buy-in / hedge into Star Citizen even more.

Therefore, buy an Idris.

Hope you stay healthy!

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Dementropy posted:

: "Have an extra vote.

I mean. If we ever want to experience the true colonization of a distance newly discovered world, then this has to be a part of it. Otherwise, whats the point?

It explains so much about Lethality that he thinks this. He has conflated science-fiction with reality, and lost track of the boundary between the two. Lethality's living in this world where he wants to be Han Solo so loving bad that he's forgotten that nothing about space works like that, nothing ever worked like that.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Crobears only come out of vacations to Monaco hibernation if they need money

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Agony Aunt posted:

Wow. Had a few tussles with him on the SC sub in my time. Just goes to show, even the most faithful backers have their breaking points.

*That* Kazan walks into the room...

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Kikas posted:

Wait, we're colonizing? I thought that we were adventuring in a established world, ruled by the United Empire or something? Is'nt the UEC the United Empire Credits?

You need to follow the musk thread.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Kikas posted:

With a few exceptions, most of NMS is about finding places you haven't been but others (players or NPCs) have.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TheAgent posted:

You'll see this more and more as additional mechanics are added

For that to be true the mechanics would have to be actually added, which goes against everything CIG represents. Lets just say that you'll see this more and more as additional mechanics are clarified.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

So do you think that they'll implement an eating slider? It worked out so well for PVP.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Star Citizen: Elite Dangerous: Your inconvenience is my immersion

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

SabinBlitz posted:

https://www.pcgamer.com/eve-online-player-thinks-no-one-will-notice-if-he-hauls-dollar5000-worth-of-items-is-wrong/

TLDR - Old man gamer puts entire 16 year life savings (Worth estimated $5k real life bux) into a cargo mining ship and takes it through bad part of space. Gets scanned and people blow him up for funzies. Old man gamer gets mad and quits game forever.

Can’t wait for SC to come out.

That's hilarious. Even if Star Citizen comes out as promised, it will be rife with greifers. And that's just if they play by the rules, the tangled mess of spaghetti code will be riddled with exploits for greifing so good luck organizing your fleet for a capital ship fight when your opponent is a script kiddie with wallhax.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
The key to arguing in favour of Star Citizen is that simultaneously everything has been known for years and you're an idiot for not knowing this was gonna be part of the game and also it's not in the game yet so you can't say it's a bad thing.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Inacio posted:

Survival gameplay is a good thing and required to make use of the vast distance between celestial bodies and on the surfaces of moons and planets. Food and drink are engaging and fun things. Only in games where they are animated with low quality, they "get in the way". That's where the "I don't want to have eat every 5 microseconds!" trope comes from. If something is well-animated, it will be fun.

If a feature is animated right, it will be fun on its own.

I think CIG is going to animate food animations to a very high standard so it will be fun to interact with food/drink. And it's that extra layer of managing your supplies that adds depth to playing the game. When a player flies to a planet or moon, he has to watch out for his ship's condition, his suit, and his character.

That's what gameplay will be about, your decisions etching themselves into your ship, your suit, your character. All your epic plays and stupid mistakes.

Shokugeki no Citizen

marumaru
May 20, 2013

CARRACK USAGE AND MAINTENANCE NOT THOUGHT OUT PROPERLY BY CIG

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sarsapariller posted:

Love to RP a big tough fighter pilot who dies in mid-combat because he forgot to go poop before battle.

In the long-ago, the before times, when men took to the skies in nothing but wood and canvas and jousted with hand-held machine guns like true knights of the aethereal, the most common cause of death was to just poo poo yourself inside out and then keel over. The Native Americans, who still existed back then, used to look up at these plummeting turd comets and shed a single tear, saying "The Earth has had her revenge."

Anyway, what was this game about again

To be fair the fighter pilots do need some help down there during extreme-G maneuvers.

Extreme G in-atmo maneuvers confirmed in SC!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Dementropy posted:

--Chris himself said otherwise YEARS ago. I have every right to be pissed that he loving flat out lied.

The sandworm has turned

Oh noes.

:allears:

This isn't normal for CR. He definitely doesn't have a long history of lies across multiple companies or changing gears to whatever is popular in the current year. :)

Hang in there citizens!

Or at least hang on long enough to be part of your eventual class action lawsuit or something. It seems kind of inevitable.

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.
Tane

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Dementropy posted:

"Unpopular opinion: This community is willing to eat whatever pile of horseshit CIG shovels them, and pay $100 dollars for the loving spoon. Prove me wrong. "

Posted by Mothman. Removed by moderators.

It must really suck to be one of the "good guys" and then suddenly be one of the "bad guys" and all your years of service were for nothing, and nobody gives a poo poo about your opinion, and no, you can't complain or talk about it because all of those means your a FUD spreading hater. :)

Revel in the community you have endorsed and created! It's a great twilight zone episode where the protagonist realizes they made a horrible mistake at the end but it's all too late to change or fix anything. :)

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
This reaction most be absolutely confusing at the CIG headquarters.

We have been loving them in the rear end with a red hot poker for almost a decade and this food business is what makes them jump?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

trucutru posted:

This reaction most be absolutely confusing at the CIG headquarters.

We have been loving them in the rear end with a red hot poker for almost a decade and this food business is what makes them jump?

In any one-sided relationship there's a point where the victim is pushed too far, and it's always, ALWAYS a surprise to the perpetrator. The best part is that the realization that they've been getting hosed in the rear end without lube for years won't be limited to the final straw - they will start going over the past few years of reaming and realize they were missing the warning signs all along.

Hero to zero takes less than one second, CIG.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Without Derek smart or a huge goon fleet of "bad guys" for everybody to rally around and hate on, I guess it's time for people to actually look inward at the product they've been defending for so long.

The luxury Star Citizen has/had is that it was almost a movement or a belief in something great that people could believe in rather than expect anything from. That belief was amazing and it helped cig in ways we may never fully know.

But as time goes on, and the powerful belief slowly ebbs away, you're left with a video game. A barely there, barely functional, not really even fun video game. And to make matters worse, a lot of the future planning and dedication of Star Citizen progress is not fun.

Not only is it not fun, but it's not really acknowledged either. Sure they have this roadmap of endlessly pushed out goals, but then things that get done weren't even on the road map or talked about in depth anywhere. It's almost like tons and tons of smoke and mirrors happening along with kind of blatant lies.

The best part is this has been happening for years and years. From Ben announcing how he played through all of squadron 42 years ago to original Kickstarter promises not even on the table anymore or pulled back to obscurity... all clouded by "oh things change!" by the faithful. Who slowly are losing faith.

Without a big bad guy for CIG to trumpet at and "prove wrong" people need to evaluate the game for what it is. Was it really this life changing episode worth dumping thousands of dollars into for your space fleet? Or is it literally just a video game for kids, with mechanics thrown into it that are the equivalent of a barely together early access title hoping to get noticed but copying assets and tutorials?

Outside of the assets, there's not a lot else but promises of greatness and yet none of it works. All the actual mechanics are pretty painfully basic, and sometimes even pieces from games that are losing traction like survival simulators with a million gauges and pee bars you need to maintain in order to have 5m of fun between 30m of foraging to restore some bar graph value to normal or above.

You could even ask yourself "what is Star Citizen?" And then follow that up by making that same post to your online buddies and see for yourself how nobody has the same vision. You could even ask yourself why, 8 years into a project, does nobody even know what they're going to get from the game?

Why could that be you think?

Oh by the way, here's a new ship to buy. Just look at this commercial for it. It punches above its weight. :)

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

The Titanic posted:

You could even ask yourself "what is Star Citizen?"

it's a scam, jim

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Star Citizen: How long has it been since you ate your corn crobbled, mate?

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

The Titanic posted:

It must really suck to be one of the "good guys" and then suddenly be one of the "bad guys" and all your years of service were for nothing, and nobody gives a poo poo about your opinion, and no, you can't complain or talk about it because all of those means your a FUD spreading hater. :)

Revel in the community you have endorsed and created! It's a great twilight zone episode where the protagonist realizes they made a horrible mistake at the end but it's all too late to change or fix anything. :)

Further exchanges from :reddit::

--Im not a troll, or looking for a refund. I'm a pissed off backer that is sick of being lied to.

--That’s literally the exact definition of all the refundsters. You would fit right in.
Or take a break breath a little bit and come back in a month. All will be well.

--No. This is the last of a growing list of reasons to believe CIG is going to flub this

Supplemental:

"Facewear Camera, what happened to it ? "

--Dunno, we are still waiting, it may be related to the Crytek lawsuit, or they just might be waiting for SC to mature more.

--same thing that happened to sq42.... announced and then silcence. we didnt even get to see it during citizencon last year.

--Last I saw, it's not even on Facewares website anymore.

--As anything related to SC.. it got delayed

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Dementropy posted:

lol, take a break for a month and it'll all be fine. When has anything regarding SC gotten better?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

quote:

I support this 100%.

If we're going to have survival mechanics, no reason not to go full SIM with them. We should be required to clean ourselves too to support the toilet paper economy.

Also, diseases like bowel cancer, irritable bowel syndrome should be a thing.

Also, nutrition and health. I want to monitor my nutrient levels. Weight gain/loss. All of it.

Bring it on!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Dementropy posted:

Further exchanges from :reddit::

--Im not a troll, or looking for a refund. I'm a pissed off backer that is sick of being lied to.

--That’s literally the exact definition of all the refundsters. You would fit right in.

Ha ha ha yesssssss

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Inacio posted:

irritable bowel syndrome should be a thing

:lol: I can't even

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
:( I'm not sure you guys, I mean I don;t want another survival game, I backed a space game and I think tha-
:reddit: gently caress YOU FUDSTER WE NOW WANT TO PRESS A BUTTON TO BREATHE IN AND OUT

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
Fidelitous turds that have kernels of crobbled corn in them

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Scruffpuff posted:

In any one-sided relationship there's a point where the victim is pushed too far, and it's always, ALWAYS a surprise to the perpetrator. The best part is that the realization that they've been getting hosed in the rear end without lube for years won't be limited to the final straw - they will start going over the past few years of reaming and realize they were missing the warning signs all along.

Hero to zero takes less than one second, CIG.

It’s weird with this one though. CIG has lied and made insane or contradictory promises for years now, but they’ve always been consistent on wanting to make their game punishingly boring and tedious. Like Chris has talked about everything from perma-death (death of a spaceman) to showers and penalties for bad personal hygiene.

This is the horrible vision they backed. It’s a mixture of an extreme autistic obsession with detail and a child’s understanding of science and game development.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
just want to give a quick update, my gal went into the docs office today with some pretty coronavirus-esque symptoms but because she hasn't traveled outside the country, they won't test her unless she wants to pay almost $600 out of pocket

she was a disneyland a loving week ago

anyway back to star citizen lol

zcrow
May 6, 2014

Ah.. yeah... um... tup tup tup tup tup.. this is something we'll add down the line
Taco truck ship concept sale incoming.

Alternatively if you're a space poor and can't afford one, get a role as a grill cook at a McRoberts™

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

colonelwest posted:

It’s weird with this one though. CIG has lied and made insane or contradictory promises for years now, but they’ve always been consistent on wanting to make their game punishingly boring and tedious. Like Chris has talked about everything from perma-death (death of a spaceman) to showers and penalties for bad personal hygiene.

This is the horrible vision they backed. It’s a mixture of an extreme autistic obsession with detail and a child’s understanding of science and game development.

What you are seeing is the result of CIG saying yes to everything for years, and eager commandos filling in the blanks to firmly believe that this game will be their own personal nirvana. When any actual game mechanic gets announced a little paper bag filled with poo poo is deposited on their virtual door steps and they lose their minds.
See also: The golf swing mechanic and bluegoblin suddenly not being 'more positive' when his fav chariot was hosed up.
Any time a dose of reality lands a section of the backers get stiffed, and i't always really funny.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT
*presses "X" to stick finger in pile of poo*

Hmmm... Still warm. The bounty must be close by. And has eaten nuts recently so he has a speed boost.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Strangler 42 posted:

*presses "X" to stick finger in pile of poo*

Hmmm... Still warm. The bounty must be close by. And has eaten nuts recently so he has a speed boost.

In the background cIglord69xxx tends to his crop of nuts, carefully watering it, as he does so he thinks 'in a few months I'll be able to harvest these and sell them' - He's satisfied with his lot, in this, his ideal space game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TheAgent posted:

just want to give a quick update, my gal went into the docs office today with some pretty coronavirus-esque symptoms but because she hasn't traveled outside the country, they won't test her unless she wants to pay almost $600 out of pocket

she was a disneyland a loving week ago

anyway back to star citizen lol

USA! USA!

Has she considered buying a cutlass red or any other ship with a tier 2 medical bed?