Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

I'm ready

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Wait, I thought there was a set protagonist who was half yokai or something

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

Gort posted:

The set protagonist is you! The player! Alternatively it is Raiden.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Gort posted:

There is but since the game is telling the story of the protagonist's "secret true history", the protagonist can look like whatever you want and be a man or a woman. All that matters is their name, Hideyoshi, and their legendary deeds.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Oh, so the dude they showed back in August was more like Default Shepard

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Gort posted:

Oh, so the dude they showed back in August was more like Default Shepard

Pretty much!

There's a bunch of people's own weird creations on Twitter already, in case you want to look like Solid Snake or Majima from Yakuza.

https://twitter.com/hashtag/nioh2_code

And a subreddit in case you want to look like an anime.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Glamurai/

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
I need the min-max codes to make the smallest most waifish Japanese girl possible then dump all my points into carry weight and run heavy armor / axe / odachi with all Brute living weapons :black101:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
My only real question about Nioh 2 is how much enemy variety is there. Nioh 1 was a good game but like 30% through you'd seen all the normal mooks so getting from boss to boss became this huge slog.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Zaphod42 posted:

My only real question about Nioh 2 is how much enemy variety is there. Nioh 1 was a good game but like 30% through you'd seen all the normal mooks so getting from boss to boss became this huge slog.

From the bit I heard in reviews theres a pretty decent variety. I'm sure you're going to see a bunch of repeats still or bigger versions of other enemies, but it sounds like it's less of a problem now.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Der Shovel posted:

My big complaints were that the level design is sometimes a bit rote

Is it similar to Nioh 1 in that respect? Mostly villages, fortresses, caves and temples? I think I can live with that if so.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Der Shovel posted:

There is but since the game is telling the story of the protagonist's "secret true history", the protagonist can look like whatever you want and be a man or a woman. All that matters is their name, Hideyoshi, and their legendary deeds.

Hold up, is that Hideyoshi as in Toyotomi Hideyoshi? Because it's a bold move to have you play as someone who ended up raping and mutilating a major character in the original.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Darth Walrus posted:

Hold up, is that Hideyoshi as in Toyotomi Hideyoshi? Because it's a bold move to have you play as someone who ended up raping and mutilating a major character in the original.

Afaik you are not playing as HIM, you are playing as his shadow, so to speak.

The real Hideyoshi is rather obvious.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The soundtracks (maybe only partial?) for both games are now on Spotify.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Darth Walrus posted:

Sorry, what?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

RatHat posted:

Sorry, what?

There's, uh, a reason Muneshige is relying on a concubine rather than Ginchiyo to give him an heir, and why she disappears from the story before the end of the game. She mentions it in her spirit flashback, I believe.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I'm really happy this game has custom characters but I would have been pleased to see William again too, I think.

Though it wouldn't have made sense for the timeline they wanted to explore which is, admittedly, way more kickin rad than the first game.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Darth Walrus posted:

There's, uh, a reason Muneshige is relying on a concubine rather than Ginchiyo to give him an heir, and why she disappears from the story before the end of the game. She mentions it in her spirit flashback, I believe.

From some quick googling I think that might have been an invention of the game. Ginchiyo didn't have any heirs in real life either because of her illness or because she just didn't like Muneshige.

Hideyoshi was still a massive piece of poo poo though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

RatHat posted:

From some quick googling I think that might have been an invention of the game. Ginchiyo didn't have any heirs in real life either because of her illness or because she just didn't like Muneshige.

Hideyoshi was still a massive piece of poo poo though.

It is, yes, but it's a kind of important detail for a prequel to that story to keep in mind.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I don't think it's much of a guess to say the whole plot will center around hideyoshi getting amrita corrupted, OP

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
But Samurai Warriors and almost every other sengoku-era drama tells me Hideyoshi was a funny monkey man???

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Darth Walrus posted:

Thought they said that Ginchiyo couldn't have children due to illness in the game. That said I never did complete the first game (I mean, it is a great game but I have trouble completing most games I get in general these days) and I am an idiot, so I must have missed that plot point one way or another.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

Thought they said that Ginchiyo couldn't have children due to illness in the game. That said I never did complete the first game (I mean, it is a great game but I have trouble completing most games I get in general these days) and I am an idiot, so I must have missed that plot point one way or another.

Illness with a very particular cause, though. They don't go into fine detail, but what we do get is pretty dark.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Ah, gotcha

Deified Data posted:

But Samurai Warriors and almost every other sengoku-era drama tells me Hideyoshi was a funny monkey man???

Sengoku Basara Hideyoshi disagrees

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

thebardyspoon posted:

Is it similar to Nioh 1 in that respect? Mostly villages, fortresses, caves and temples? I think I can live with that if so.

Yes, pretty much. There's a bunch of cool soulsborne-esque exploration and finding of secrets and hidden paths, unlocking shortcuts and new routes, all the stuff you'd expect.

But honestly I'd be hard pressed to describe that many of the levels to you, just like with the original Nioh. It's not bad, but it's not like Yharnam levels of amazing.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Deified Data posted:

From what I saw in a review that was posted, you won't be disappointed.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Der Shovel posted:

Yes, pretty much. There's a bunch of cool soulsborne-esque exploration and finding of secrets and hidden paths, unlocking shortcuts and new routes, all the stuff you'd expect.

But honestly I'd be hard pressed to describe that many of the levels to you, just like with the original Nioh. It's not bad, but it's not like Yharnam levels of amazing.

The most notable levels I can remember from the original Nioh are the ones in the forest with the lightning tiger thing as the boss, the ninja trick house level and the one in the flooded lakeside temple/town which were genuinely pretty cool but yeah none of those are comparable to the best levels from the From Souls games. As I said though, can live with that if Nioh 2 is similar. Would be more problematic if the design had regressed from that.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I guess we've reached the point where trailers are using the Inception Honk again unironically.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I hope this game has a level as good as ninja house

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I made my dude old snake and I can't stop laughing at every cutscene this owns.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Yes I took down the first boss on my first go. I am the mastah

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

JBP posted:

Yes I took down the first boss on my first go. I am the mastah

That's gonna be the new Onryoki and be in many many missions.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

lets hang out posted:

I hope this game has a level as good as ninja house

Yeah I hope they change up the levels as much as they do the enemies, I did start to get tired of mansions and caves later in the first game. The only ones of each that really sticks out to me are the Ninja Trap House and poo poo Castle, other levels started to feel very copy/paste to me after a while. I'm hoping the Shift attacks and core abilities end up making the game Brutal Nioh, where the enemies are more dangerous but so are you, and you're only one good Shift counter away from erasing anything below a miniboss.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Takes No Damage posted:

Yeah I hope they change up the levels as much as they do the enemies, I did start to get tired of mansions and caves later in the first game. The only ones of each that really sticks out to me are the Ninja Trap House and poo poo Castle, other levels started to feel very copy/paste to me after a while. I'm hoping the Shift attacks and core abilities end up making the game Brutal Nioh, where the enemies are more dangerous but so are you, and you're only one good Shift counter away from erasing anything below a miniboss.

This is my experience so far. The levels are good but it's all going to be feudal Japan stuff.

Second boss is owning me. Game is stingy with the magic.

E: I finished him with a yokai counter! What a game!

JBP fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Mar 13, 2020

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
One thing I noticed that I really liked from the LC demo was that you get skill exp from using stuff like ninpo and magic. I kept trying to use buffs and ninja traps on the boss there and got 5 or 6 more skill points just in getting owned for 45 minutes. Also serves to encourage you to use all your toys all the time, because in doing so you get MORE TOYS :circlefap:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Takes No Damage posted:

One thing I noticed that I really liked from the LC demo was that you get skill exp from using stuff like ninpo and magic. I kept trying to use buffs and ninja traps on the boss there and got 5 or 6 more skill points just in getting owned for 45 minutes. Also serves to encourage you to use all your toys all the time, because in doing so you get MORE TOYS :circlefap:

And it's not just ones you ready as Jutsu either. Consumable weapon buff papers and ninja bombs etc that you find as loot will pretty quickly give you some points in Omioyo Magic/Ninjitsu.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Fat_Cow posted:

I'm ready

gimme da code

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Nioh 2 owns huh?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Grouchio posted:

Nioh 2 owns huh?

GUESS I WON'T KNOW FOR ANOTHER 55 MINUTES :argh:

timezones are hard ok

e:

Zaodai posted:

And it's not just ones you ready as Jutsu either. Consumable weapon buff papers and ninja bombs etc that you find as loot will pretty quickly give you some points in Omioyo Magic/Ninjitsu.

This is actually quite cool. I guess it 'makes sense' that regular ninja stars you find take the same skill to use as magic regenerating ones, but this incentivise not holding on to anything, which is a constant problem for my packrat rear end.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Mar 13, 2020

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

A lot of stuff says the feral counter is good because it's also a dodge, but I actually don't like it and I'm looking forward to changing. If you are moving and burst counter you often zip right by the attacker and get hit by a backswing or just the whole attack. The brute one is shorter range but it sweeps in front of you with your feet planted and that sounds much more reliable to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
^^^ Yeah I never really got a good feel for the Feral counter in the demo, I would basically just dodge into them without any clear indication on the proper timing, sometimes I'd get hit, sometimes not. Think I'll start with firedog this time and work my way up to dodgybird.

Diephoon posted:

gimme da code

Found these on Reddit, haven't tried any yet but I'm sure there will be a whole wiki page full of them in a few days:

Ciri - eNjwF8rL3rwsA
Harley Quinn - Na?eGZxKK+6sS
2B - C+GkT?gX+R$3U
Snake - icVfiLis8f3&i
Zero Two - $c?$QQcWhytam
Sesshomaru - TTUmJxnrn&5oW
Geralt of Rivia - ttchNzyz7?PBS

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Mar 13, 2020