Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

I... kinda like the guest? The show itself seems eh (there's like a 3 minute intro lmfao wtf) but I've also seen Jenny so in comparison these guys come off as pretty good!

It was a live show so they had a few minutes of filler while waiting for people to join. Lowtax was playing an episode of some forgotten 80s crime show with a sci-fi hook at the start of his stream for the new Dontrel game a couple days ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Hackers film 1995 posted:

thor 3 was one of my favorite marvel movies just because i was rarely bored and it was fun. but yeah, all scenes involving blanchett were the worst parts (not her fault)

Ragnarok's moment-to-moment quality corresponds directly with how far away it is from Asgard at any given point.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

super sweet best pal posted:

It was a live show so they had a few minutes of filler while waiting for people to join. Lowtax was playing an episode of some forgotten 80s crime show with a sci-fi hook at the start of his stream for the new Dontrel game a couple days ago.

Not just any forgotten 80s sci-fi show - Automan!

It was pretty enjoyably bad.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Galadriel in the streets, Hela between the sheets

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

reignofevil posted:

I feel like you're making a totally legit point here but I would like to say that over the course of the past decade people have often come in here and accused our members of being in an echo chamber controlled by RLM's opinions of things to the point where we had a running joke of 'waiting till Mike tells me what I'm allowed to think' when new movies came out. This state of affairs almost has to be an improvement from that perspective!

Yeah fair enough

tbh honest the whole "heh marvel films are baby trash" is more a goon thing in general and not just a this thread thing

Which is itself more of a "heh popular thing is actually trash" goon thing

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You do realise lister nobody gives a fly gently caress about spoilers for Picard, it sure as gently caress didn't earn them.

That said, Christ that is some serious amateur hour writing. Spins it's wheels the entire time and feebly vomits out homework written 5 minutes before hand in time at school in a show that doesn't even justify it's own existence. I bet there were a poo poo ton of flash backs of new scenes to retcon a question and answer like Mentos It must be chewed moment. If the hack frauds get run out of Hollywood it is too kind of a fate. Gotta tar and feather them first, then :guillotine: with their criminal wealth given to the homeless.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
every episode of picard I get so angry at a line of dialogue I have to exclaim out loud and startle my dog

No other show has elicited this response from me. The dialogue is so loving bad it causes me spontaneous tourettes

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

i just quit at episode 2 friend and never looked back

i'm fine with rich kindly humoring mike's long, angsty summaries while jay works the camera and daydreams about the manhole

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
I just watched The Hunters again, because the ending was so loving bizarre I was unable to believe it was real. It was, completely. I was sure I was just watching it wrong. Al Pacino was a mengele-style nazi surgeon and not a Jewish Holocaust survivor.

I hate the show, like a loving LOT, but I’m still gonna watch season 2.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I just watched The Hunters again, because the ending was so loving bizarre I was unable to believe it was real. It was, completely. I was sure I was just watching it wrong. Al Pacino was a mengele-style nazi surgeon and not a Jewish Holocaust survivor.

I hate the show, like a loving LOT, but I’m still gonna watch season 2.

Reminds me of that DS9 episode where some clerk at a Bajoran labor camp was claiming to be the foreman.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

super sweet best pal posted:

Reminds me of that DS9 episode where some clerk at a Bajoran labor camp was claiming to be the foreman.

Duet, best episode of the first season, unless you were on acid, in which case the pilot episode The Emissary is the best.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The notion of goodness is so warped in the collective consciousness that surely the best S1 ep at this point is the one where they all play hopscotch

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Moola posted:

every episode of picard I get so angry at a line of dialogue I have to exclaim out loud and startle my dog

No other show has elicited this response from me. The dialogue is so loving bad it causes me spontaneous tourettes

oh, so it's not just me

that's good

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

No Mods No Masters posted:

The notion of goodness is so warped in the collective consciousness that surely the best S1 ep at this point is the one where they all play hopscotch

That’s more of a weed episode than an acid episode the way I see it. Allamaraine.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
count to 4

GODDAMNIT

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Moola posted:

there's something about the first 5 or so episodes of it that are just so mediocre it hurts more. I wouldn't even say it's terrible, it just hasn't been good to me at all. there's large parts of it that feel like heavily recycled paper and that makes it worse, at least with things that are bad, they're usually bad in their own way that makes it unexpected and interesting, not so when it's bland in all the ways you feel like you've seen before.

the latest 2 episodes seem like they will have more actually going on at least.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

No Mods No Masters posted:

LARP aliens were great.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

oohhboy posted:

You do realise lister nobody gives a fly gently caress about spoilers for Picard, it sure as gently caress didn't earn them.

That said, Christ that is some serious amateur hour writing. Spins it's wheels the entire time and feebly vomits out homework written 5 minutes before hand in time at school in a show that doesn't even justify it's own existence. I bet there were a poo poo ton of flash backs of new scenes to retcon a question and answer like Mentos It must be chewed moment. If the hack frauds get run out of Hollywood it is too kind of a fate. Gotta tar and feather them first, then :guillotine: with their criminal wealth given to the homeless.

Yeah, but the episode came out just today so I figured I'd try to be courteous.

I want to also mention that in the vision flashes that are supposed to drive people insane and make them want to commit suicide, there's a single frame of a dead fox just lying on the ground like from one of those time lapse videos of an animal corpse decomposing. Except that it's only the one frame and it doesn't show any composition.

Just like... why?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

lol so the dread secret of the romulans is that robots blew up the t'kon empire?

why didn't they ever kidnap and murder data during the 20 years he was on the enterprise? they made laforge a manchurian candidate for laughs

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I cannot wait to see what this vision of the past that is so bad that it, I will quote memory alpha:

quote:

As Oh warned, the others are overwhelmed by the images, some committing suicide with their disruptors, others bashing their own skulls in with rocks or trying to gouge out their eyes.

please no one spoil if it's way different plz, I wanna see this with my own eyes

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

That's exactly what happens and it is pretty funny. Especially since the visions are not disturbing or scary in the slightest.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
I can't believe there isn't a supercut of Odo doing his exaggerated "HUH!!"

I need it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Duet, best episode of the first season, unless you were on acid, in which case the pilot episode The Emissary is the best.

"OWW!"

"Are yooooou alriiiiiight?"

"Don't. You. Have. Any. Idea. How. Incredible this is?!"

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

lol at picards entire storyline centered around romulans trying to stop AI going too far when the star trek universe already has a race of genocidal super robots which wipe out entire races also an entire series of discovery focused around a super AI which is a threat to the universe.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The visions aren't nearly bad enough. It would need to be at least Event Horizon bad to justify people just shooting themselves in the head immediately. Everyone's just like "We made robots. It went badly." It needs to be "We made robots. They killed literally every living thing."

The Romulans are hunting sword guy on the Borg cube, but they loving refuse to shoot him. They get him with a flash grenade and then charge in for some hand-to-hand fighting.

There's a point where Raffi is supposed to be pointing a phaser at Soji, and Picard stands in the way, and in half the shots Raffi is aiming the phaser a good 40-degrees away from the two of them.

Admiral Pottymouth told Picard to shut the gently caress up. That's fun.

The synths are from a star system with 8 stars, which I guess is a cool idea? I didn't know you could have more than two.

This poo poo with the hologram Rioses each with their own affect and accent is not being executed well. They're all annoying. And the real Rios is a moody bitch all the time.

Whole lot of nothing happening in this episode. A lot of backstory for Rios that any other Star Trek would have gotten out of the way immediately. Like literally a crewmember would have just read it off his file in 15 seconds.

7 of 9 activated the Borg cube to kill the evil Romulans.

Sunglasses Vulcan did the Mars 9/11.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

The synths are from a star system with 8 stars, which I guess is a cool idea? I didn't know you could have more than two.

the synopsis says it was created which made me think it was the Tkon empire since the ferengi introduction episode said they could teleport stars

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
so

they're just doing the ending to mass effect 3?

AI are evil and will eventually genocide everyone because REASONS and must be stopped

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Or the crazy people believe that but maybe they're the real evil after all

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
calling it before we find out the borg were a noble shamanic race corrupted by

evil AI?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Moola posted:

so

they're just doing the ending to mass effect 3?

AI are evil and will eventually genocide everyone because REASONS and must be stopped

No, all the factions are rushing to the Planet of the Synths, and 7 of 9's Borgs are going to be the big heroes and show up at the last second to defeat the Romulans and save the planet.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

so the double top secret romulans let their homeworld and tens of billions of their fellow romulans explode.... just to get the federation to melt down the slightly more capable sony ASIMOs?

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

"OWW!"

"Are yooooou alriiiiiight?"

"Don't. You. Have. Any. Idea. How. Incredible this is?!"

Wormhole aliens are machine-elves, prove me wrong

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

PostNouveau posted:

No, all the factions are rushing to the Planet of the Synths, and 7 of 9's Borgs are going to be the big heroes and show up at the last second to defeat the Romulans and save the planet.

But at what cost?

...season two teaser: The Borg are back! And they're mad!

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
there was a secret sect of more powerful secret borg

the Grob!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Raskolnikov38 posted:

so the double top secret romulans let their homeworld and tens of billions of their fellow romulans explode.... just to get the federation to melt down the slightly more capable sony ASIMOs?

Yeah pretty much. She sabotaged the construction of the rescue fleet to make synths look bad.

Although maybe she didn't predict it would lead to the Romulans getting no help at all. It was a huge own goal.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

hey you know what would have been way more relevant and less stupid, have the proto-datas do a mass shooting

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Too real man.

They're edgy, but not that edgy. This is still CBS after all.

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice

Raskolnikov38 posted:

murdering my home country to own the the ‘droids

The series really is a Trump/Brexit metaphor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

There's a point where Raffi is supposed to be pointing a phaser at Soji, and Picard stands in the way, and in half the shots Raffi is aiming the phaser a good 40-degrees away from the two of them.

I didn't notice it then but you're right lol

It's also not totally clear if it's robots that kill everybody once you make good robots or if it's some alien beings. It's worded so poorly in the episode. At the beginning, admiral sunglasses says they are preventing the coming of the destroyers and the death from the skies. And then like, the vision shows a green glow enveloping a planet and blowing it up but also nuke like explosions on the surface. Soji is then like "oh, I'm the destroyer they're talking about" but I guess that doesn't mean that the robots are actively the destroyers but like a herald? gently caress this show