Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

smoobles posted:

Is eating out at restaurants risky? Am I putting my trust in a dumb rear end in a top hat who doesn't wash his hands if I eat at my local Steak N Shake during the pandemic?

If you’re in the US the Repubs just shot down mandatory paid sick leave, so lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truck Stop Stall
Jul 11, 2006

we are in for a spooky dooky year. this spring, then maybe a detente summer while waiting for the other shoe to drop, then a fall like this again or possible worse

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
It’s going to be hellworld until a vaccine gets manufactured in bulk.

The reports of people getting re-infected after clearing it are ominous, I wonder what the rate is on that.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Truck Stop Stall posted:

we are in for a spooky dooky year. this spring, then maybe a detente summer while waiting for the other shoe to drop, then a fall like this again or possible worse

Sun's out gun's out

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/LucyXIV/status/1238306271687630848?s=19

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Ginette Reno posted:

Trump will have to do something if he wants to get re-elected. This poo poo will absolutely sink him if he doesn't attempt to take care of his Boomer base

The situation will take care of his boomer base. Then he gets busted for all the dead people ballots submitted. He evades prosecution and impeachment. He dies shortly afterward as the last infected human rushes him during his inauguration to cough on him before dying to Secret Service bullets. Credits roll.

hattersmad
Feb 21, 2015

In this style, 10/6

LibCrusher posted:

Oh my god... I might have had corona in Manila last month and spread it the hotel, the mall, the airport, and back to the US.

Our whole family got super sick 4 weeks ago. We all had high fevers for 4 days w/ coughing and fatigue, and nothing else. At the time, COVID wasn’t as big of a deal in the US and there weren’t any confirmed cases in our area (Los Angeles).

I’m seriously wondering if we actually had it. I just assumed it was a really nasty flu at the time. It was the only time I can remember running a fever for 4 days in my adult (and maybe entire) life.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Aaand I've got a flu, no roni symptoms yet but I'm gonna do homeoffice and see what the weekend brings.

Feeling in Berlin / Germany is switching from eh it's fine to weeell its kind of serious, very weird feeling. My girlfriend and I are now fully stocked INCLUDING TOILET PAPER so we can stay at home for like a month.

Stay safe people and remember to lynch any executives who don't offer paid sick leave.

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

Lol Peter Dutton has it

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

As an aside I have successfully established the name "the roni" in my group of friends, which somehow still amuses me a lot. Makes everything a bit less scary.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1238129819348541440?s=19

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Lazyhound posted:

It’s going to be hellworld until a vaccine gets manufactured in bulk.

The reports of people getting re-infected after clearing it are ominous, I wonder what the rate is on that.

The idea of reinfection really sends me spiraling, yeesh

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Argue with everyone. Save lives. This is it.

Truck Stop Stall
Jul 11, 2006

Jumpsuit posted:

Lol Peter Dutton has it

man and they used this pic. doing my man dirty

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

you millenials and your goddamned rear end eating
you've doomed us all you little shits!!!

Pigmassacre
Nov 23, 2010

GARBAGE DAY

smoobles posted:

Also I traveled to Boston the weekend before last and my throat is mildly scratchy. I probably am one of the people who has it but only gets mild symptoms. I'm the problem.

Yeah same, flew to PAX East so I was at two airports and met and talked with hundreds of people... I've been feeling somewhat ill for the last two weeks. Nothing major but still.
Just recently said to our family that we are not going to take the train to Stockholm to attend a kid's birthday party and a another kids "name giving celebration" this weekend. I think they took it ok, but w/e I'm not gonna risk anything... poo poo could get even more locked down faster than we think

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
All schools an kindergartens closed in Bavaria from Monday until Easter Holidays I. E. Early April. I expect this and the football games without audience to drive home to people what is coming as they are now directly affected by measures.

Which means panic buys start today, a Friday.
Luckily I anticipated this and already modestly stocked up on rice and pasta a week ago.

Also Merkel strongly disencouraging any sort of social gathering that isn't necessary is pretty heavy stuff.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

hattersmad posted:

Our whole family got super sick 4 weeks ago. We all had high fevers for 4 days w/ coughing and fatigue, and nothing else. At the time, COVID wasn’t as big of a deal in the US and there weren’t any confirmed cases in our area (Los Angeles).

I’m seriously wondering if we actually had it. I just assumed it was a really nasty flu at the time. It was the only time I can remember running a fever for 4 days in my adult (and maybe entire) life.

Same here (Las Vegas.) I was down for 5 days mid February. No cough though, just fever, chills/sweats, constant headache and back and neck pains, no appetite. I usually don't get sick too. I hadn't taken a sick day in nearly a decade and I just used up 5. If that wasn't the Roni then I hope I don't get it now cause Id probably be out longer than my remaining sick leave.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

We have 59 confirmed cases in Finland (likely more, of course) and our government just held a conference saying we're about a week behind the rest of Scandinavia, and are on the threshold of this becoming an epidemic.

In preparation schools are closing down (the university I work at is cancelling all lectures and telling all the staff to work from home starting next Monday), public gatherings are limited, the national hockey league is getting suspended (and the season is probably cancelled) etc.

The response is rational and realistic: the official policy is that the disease can't be stopped but we're doing everything we can to limit it from spreading.

E: some of the local responses aren't though.

There was a confirmed case at my university, and the school's official response was that the "20 people" who had been exposed have been identified and quarantined. My campus has ~8000 active students in a fairly small campus area, so that 20 people figure is just comically lowballed.

Did the dude eat in a cafeteria (where they didn't even have hand sanitizer until last week)? Did he leave his coat in the coat racks with other people? Did he attend lectures? Did he walk in the corridors?

I'm not saying people should panic and start eating each other, but saying "oh yeah 20 people were exposed and they've all been identified, don't worry everyone" is criminally negligent.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Mar 13, 2020

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Hopper posted:

All schools an kindergartens closed in Bavaria from Monday until Easter Holidays I. E. Early April. I expect this and the football games without audience to drive home to people what is coming as they are now directly affected by measures.

Which means panic buys start today, a Friday.
Luckily I anticipated this and already modestly stocked up on rice and pasta a week ago.

Also Merkel strongly disencouraging any sort of social gathering that isn't necessary is pretty heavy stuff.

My girl went to kaufland in Berlin britz yesterday morning at 8 and bought the last stuff we needed. She said it was ramping up to be a hell of a day as a lot of people were already buying carts full of stuff. For the Americans: Germans usually buy day to day so people stocking up is definitly not usual.

My work is now implementing shifts and homeoffice rotations, funny how quickly this turned more serious.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Boomer Remover is trending on Twitter.

Truck Stop Stall
Jul 11, 2006

Niwrad posted:

Boomer Remover is trending on Twitter.

This kind of thing is sick. It's weird when "guy who makes ghoulish jokes" doubles down on it when people are dying

Truck Stop Stall
Jul 11, 2006

e. nevermind. just heated about ghoulishness when we need each other's help

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Imagine the recriminations a year from now when hundreds of millions of people have lost parents and grandparents to this. Hope your comfortable defending your "lol boomer death" memes then.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

boomer doomer sounds cooler

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice
Sorry if it’s been discussed a ton already, but why the gently caress is it so difficult/unreliable to get tested in the US right now?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

amusinginquiry posted:

Sorry if it’s been discussed a ton already, but why the gently caress is it so difficult/unreliable to get tested in the US right now?

The US has catastrophically stupid healthcare and dangerously stupid leadership.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
Be the bigger person, they say, as a howling wave of chuds projectile vomits an endless gout of accusations at minorities and 'those filthy poors.'

I mean, yeah, I feel a little bad making jokes about it - my folks are in their 70s - but there's not really any doubt in my mind that I and others wont be shown the same courtesy.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Those of us who know better
should give our nuts and ovaries a tug
and do better

- the last poem written by a human

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
An NRL player has just been tested for corona virus mere hours after the Prime Minister said to ban gatherings over 500 people but after the footy this weekend lol

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

amusinginquiry posted:

Something about making sure a private company can do all the testing. Aka making sure we can monetize it :patriot:

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Truck Stop Stall posted:

This kind of thing is sick. It's weird when "guy who makes ghoulish jokes" doubles down on it when people are dying

The 20-something dickhead behind the counter at the pharmacy asked me 'Got the coronavirus yet?' and then laughed to himself, 'Man, the mass hysteria is just crazy over this, it's nothing.' It took everything in me to only ask him with the deadest eyes I could manage, 'Do you honestly find this funny?' and he rushed out some mewling apology.

I don't really care if people wanna make jokes but that dude's gonna be on the front lines and that galled me.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

EL BROMANCE posted:

The tp thing really makes me wonder how much I use. I usually get one of those big 24 packs from BJs, and just replace it when I get low. I have no idea how long that is. I have 8 rolls here by myself, and I often poop in work. But what if work closes? Dear lord, I’m going to have to jungle book it.

We are in a bizarrely similar situation, right down to the exact number of rolls left. Honestly? If you have to just poo poo and shower. I don't know why people went to TP as the one thing they thought they absolutely couldn't do without. It just cleans your arse, there are loads of ways to clean your arse in an absolute emergency.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
^^^^ We all have to poo poo, TP is something everybody needs. We all eat differently, vegetarian, no pork, no fish whatever, but TP is the same for all. So people think this will be gone first.

Hopper posted:

All schools an kindergartens closed in Bavaria from Monday until Easter Holidays I. E. Early April.

Correction: All closed until 20th of April!

Hopper fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Mar 13, 2020

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Use fast food napkins

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

If you're at home just use the shower. I get using toilet paper away from home. But if you're quarantined? Whatever.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

I don't think you understand what the internet is or how it works.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

Hopper posted:

^^^^ We all have to poo poo, TP is something everybody needs. We all eat differently, vegetarian, no pork, no fish whatever, but TP is the same for all. So people think this will be gone first.

Correction: All closed until 20th of April!

We all have to poo poo, yes. I mean I would hope you at least give me the credit of knowing that everyone shits. But TP is not a critical and unassailable part of the process. There are other (and frankly much more effective) ways to clean an arsehole than wiping it with a piece of dry paper over and over.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

mike12345 posted:

If you're at home just use the shower. I get using toilet paper away from home. But if you're quarantined? Whatever.

Exactly. These people say they're preparing "for the worst, just in case". In what version of "the worst" does toilet paper even register as a concern among all of the other things you will be challenged with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

After the big dead comes the big loving the skull of each other.

We may be ending creating a Baby Boom. And in 70 years from now, people will be complaining about the Corona Boomers.