Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Agent355 posted:

I guess I'll just use the mod that freezes all quest timers before I finish then, kind of a silly oversight.

You have more time than you need by quite a bit as long as you're using teleportation circles. IIRC there are also more bosses tied to that quest than you need to complete it so you don't need to hunt every one down either.

ChrisBTY posted:

Hello. I tried to start playing this game. Got as far as finishing making a character only for Cindered Shadows to come out. I am juuuuust about burned out on Fire Emblem and am wondering if there are any resources available for me to skip 'trap' class builds. I made a magus but I didn't know what weapon to specialize in. I went dueling sword since I figured those would key off dex rather than str but really hell if I know.

Magus is a good class. You can use your spells to rocket up your survivability. I think the main build for Magus is to go for crit-fishing using improved critical so you crit 1/4th of the time when you hit and try to get crits from spell-strikes. Shocking grasp seems to be the main spell for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

ChrisBTY posted:

Hello. I tried to start playing this game. Got as far as finishing making a character only for Cindered Shadows to come out. I am juuuuust about burned out on Fire Emblem and am wondering if there are any resources available for me to skip 'trap' class builds. I made a magus but I didn't know what weapon to specialize in. I went dueling sword since I figured those would key off dex rather than str but really hell if I know.

If you're true neutral the Devoted Blade arcana will do nothing.

Try to avoid too much multiclassing as a Magus.

Magus is one of the classes that can skip Improved Critical since you can use your Arcane weapon bonus to make any weapon Keen.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
So everyone has seen the main Concept art of the Angel and the team fighting against the Balor, right?

JamMasterJim fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Mar 12, 2020

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Why are they defending the Balor from the bad imps while ignoring the clearly overpowered spellcaster about to murder the poor guy?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

ChrisBTY posted:

Here are two builds/guides for melee-magic type characters. He also has a guide for Regongar as a Magus that should work on your PC just as well.
https://www.gog.com/forum/pathfinder_kingmaker/ineffects_guide_v2/post32
https://www.gog.com/forum/pathfinder_kingmaker/ineffects_guide_v2/post41

This guy's builds are very much min-max types of builds and a bit OP but you do get to feel crazy strong much earlier than you'd expect.

Agent355 posted:

At the very least murdering things and exploring areas is something I would be doing anyway and I can get a list off the internet. It could be worse.

E: is there a postgame where I'm allowed to still run around and do quests and kingdom manage after I finish the main quest? Just in case I want to sweep up random poo poo I missed out on?

They actually are pretty generous with how much time you have to finish everything. In Chapter 1 I went to every map and explored every cranny and beat every fight and I still had like 45 days left. In later chapters, I am likewise thorough but waste even more time travelling and revisiting areas. Still, mucho time. I'm not shy with the resting and still have more time than I've needed to explore the whole available map. Often have to just "skip days" in the kingdom menu, sometimes a week at a time. At the end of chapter 3/4 you have almost a couple years of free time depending on how fast you finish up the main story quest for that chapter. I think you'd have to deliberately try to run out of time, I am glacial. 185 hours and haven't started chapter 5 yet...

Mulva posted:

robo lore

That's actually something I can get into. I'm starting to really dig pathfinder. I loved 3.5 in videogame form but never played in PnP. Pathfinder just seems superior, period. A coworker of mine is getting interested too, we are both especially interested in having witch available to us.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Khanstant posted:

185 hours and haven't started chapter 5 yet...

What the gently caress

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

How long is this loving game?

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Der Shovel posted:

Question, though: my current main mission objective is to "wait until the fog clears". Will it be obvious when that happens? I'm suddenly hell of worried about the passing of time locking me out of stuff.

The fog doesn't clear with time, an event will do that. It will be obvious. Follow what threads ya got. Also the time limit for chapter 1 is super generous and there are no negative repercussions for handing in the quest with 1 minute left on the clock so feel free to explore and dilly dally (the only reason to beeline the main quest is if you're an Aldori duelist, and even then it's a pretty bad reason).

Just be aware that *some* of the available exploration spots can be a little bit rape-y at low levels.

Further into the game, time usually doesn't lock you out of stuff, but order of operations can (ie whichever crisis you tackle first might cause stuff to happen due to another crisis you didn't pursue ; and vice versa)

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
You can use Bag of Tricks to break alignment rules right? Because I want to play a monk but gently caress being lawful

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Blockhouse posted:

You can use Bag of Tricks to break alignment rules right? Because I want to play a monk but gently caress being lawful

I haven't tried it myself, but if I remember correctly there is an option for ignoring class prerequisites.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

You can. I did a monk dip on my neutral good Sword Saint.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

Being lawful is actually great fun and more people should do it

Kingmaker was fun because, much like all of my D&D sessions, I was the only person playing LG among a party of neutrals and chaotics

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

JamMasterJim posted:

So everyone has seen the main Concept art of the Angel and the team fighting against the Balor, right?

Which one's the angel?

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Avalerion posted:

Which one's the angel?

It's the first promotional image they released.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Cynic Jester posted:

Why are they defending the Balor from the bad imps while ignoring the clearly overpowered spellcaster about to murder the poor guy?

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
The last celebration update.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/owlcatgames/pathfinder-wrath-of-the-righteous/posts/2781612

For those who want to manage their pledge or pay with paypal, backer portal and such will open by the end of the month. Closed Alpha in April.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

More gameplay from PAX, with the most interesting bit probably being an encounter with Arueshalae in prison very early in the video - I'm going to go out on a limb and say she escapes offscreen even if you don't release her. Also the actual conversation after that whole Balor encounter is at the end of the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYQEGxU9Kro&t=451s

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Started playing this game last night, turn-based mod on. Pretty good so far, just got through the intro area. But anyone know of a mod or game setting that eliminates these terrible medieval font Drop Caps at the beginning of every goddamn word and name to increase readability?

MonikaTSarn
May 23, 2005

AngryBooch posted:

Started playing this game last night, turn-based mod on. Pretty good so far, just got through the intro area. But anyone know of a mod or game setting that eliminates these terrible medieval font Drop Caps at the beginning of every goddamn word and name to increase readability?

That's so needed ! Sometimes I wonder who that 'Miri' girl is I keep seeing on my screen ...

I just started the game myself a week ago, how did I miss this gem for so long ? I think I confused pathfinder with some other ruleset, never knew it was a 3.5 D&D clone or I would been all over it. I thought it was some everything-goes ruleset with little structure, can't think of the name anymore..

I really like the combat (with turn based mod, of course), and I love the city building as well. It all makes sense once you figure out that you got to do quests in the reverse order you normally play a CRPG. Always finish the main quest first (except chapter 1), then there is lots of time for sidequest stuff, time delays and city building.

Griffen
Aug 7, 2008
As much as people have hated on the kingdom management aspect of the game, I really enjoy it. I like the RP potential for playing as a fledgling lord trying to bring order to chaos and that I'm forced to make choices on priorities. Do I focus on building up existing territories, or do I spend my resources on expanding to new areas? Do I repair the road to Brevoy or do I sign a trade deal? Once I got it into my head that it isn't a race to clear the stack of project cards but rather decide what is important to my character, it felt a lot less stressful and more enjoyable. The one complaint I have is that BP income is less direct; I can't build farms or industries and just get BP, I have to build stuff, then upgrade advisors to increase my BP income. That ends up making my baron run around murdering monsters and looting tombs to just help boost the treasury as the primary source of income.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

ChrisBTY posted:

To chime in, I've been using basically a dex dueling sword magus via a custom party member, and it goddamn slaps. A lot of function crossover with Regongar, but :shrug:

Griffen posted:

The one complaint I have is that BP income is less direct; I can't build farms or industries and just get BP, I have to build stuff, then upgrade advisors to increase my BP income. That ends up making my baron run around murdering monsters and looting tombs to just help boost the treasury as the primary source of income.

Yeah, I'm not super fond about how indirect a lot of the income feels. I mean, it's true to form for D&D (adventurers fueling stuff with found/sold loot has been a trope for ages and does amuse me to some degree :vv: ) but it does result in a slightly bigger disconnect than I think they were intending.

Der Shovel posted:

Question, though: my current main mission objective is to "wait until the fog clears". Will it be obvious when that happens? I'm suddenly hell of worried about the passing of time locking me out of stuff.

As mentioned, you need to deal with all of the other major "Stolen Land" quests for the fog to clear (that generally being chasing down Tartuccio). Once that's done, head back to Oleg's, talk to the nymph, and you'll be able to head to the chapter end.

And yes the three month limit is incredibly generous and you can easily do everything within the fog boundary before the time limit is up. Including Tranquil River Bend, if you're up for a challenge. :getin:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Kingdom Management is fiddly and mostly irrelevant, but it gives you something to do and generates a sense of time passing which helps make the world a little more believable. It's better than NWN2's stronghold management.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I enjoyed the kingdom management too. I also like having time limitations in games to plan around (like Xcom 2) which seem to make a lot of people stress out and hate poo poo.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Griffen posted:

That ends up making my baron run around murdering monsters and looting tombs to just help boost the treasury as the primary source of income.

I mean it worked for the Roman empire.

ETA (for variable values of "worked")

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

SpaceDrake posted:

And yes the three month limit is incredibly generous and you can easily do everything within the fog boundary before the time limit is up. Including Tranquil River Bend, if you're up for a challenge. :getin:

Those frogs wrecked my poo poo except, ironically, the boss - he slipped on grease and then my enlarged warriors just beat him to death from a distance.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

You can finish all of it including tranquil in thirty days.

Just remember to use grease and glitterdust

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Is there a mod anywhere that will let me change the bonuses on the wizard /sorceror familiars?

I was going to pick Viper for the persuasion bonus BUT . . .the dog is ADORABLE

so now I want the dog graphic with the viper bonus. Dogs are more likely to persuade people anyway!

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Is there a mod anywhere that will let me change the bonuses on the wizard /sorceror familiars?

I was going to pick Viper for the persuasion bonus BUT . . .the dog is ADORABLE

so now I want the dog graphic with the viper bonus. Dogs are more likely to persuade people anyway!

Seems like the sort of thing Bag of Tricks might let you do somewhere in the depths. Can't think of another mod off hand that'll do it.

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss

Cynic Jester posted:

Seems like the sort of thing Bag of Tricks might let you do somewhere in the depths. Can't think of another mod off hand that'll do it.

Bag of Tricks will let you directly edit bonuses to your character. You could just manually put a -2 to whatever dog gives you and a +2 to whatever you wanted from snake after choosing the dog and it would be effectively the same as a dog with snake bonuses.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Arg, now I'm making a spreadsheet to plot out which feats my party members will take at which levels

Good thing I'm spending my time at home productively

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

grah posted:

Bag of Tricks will let you directly edit bonuses to your character. You could just manually put a -2 to whatever dog gives you and a +2 to whatever you wanted from snake after choosing the dog and it would be effectively the same as a dog with snake bonuses.

Yeah that works, thanks, it's really kludgy though.

I feel like it should be possible to edit the "dog familiar" buff itself.

Bag of Tricks lets me pull the code markers for it:

code:
Buff Name: Dog Familiar
Buff Guid: 6dc1e46ef1e6d314fa36f58a8e949095
Object Name: DogFamiliarBuff
Object Name (cleaned): Dog Familiar Buff
Buff Tick Time: 10675199.02:48:05.4775807
Buff Description: A familiar is a magical pet that enhances the character's skills and senses. A dog's master gains a +3 bonus on Lore (Nature) checks and a +2 bonus on Perception checks.

vs

Buff Name: Viper Familiar
Buff Guid: db64dcb29cbaf3049b2df85e4ba66385
Object Name: ViperFamiliarBuff
Object Name (cleaned): Viper Familiar Buff
Buff Tick Time: 10675199.02:48:05.4775807
Buff Description: A familiar is a magical pet that enhances the character's skills and senses. A viper's master gains a a +3 bonus on Persuasion checks and a +2 bonus on Perception checks.

Feat Name: Dog Familiar
Feat GUID: f111037444d5b6243bbbeb7fc9056ed3
Object Name: DogFamiliarBondFeature
Object Name (cleaned): Dog Familiar Bond Feature
Feat Description: A familiar is a magical pet that enhances the character's skills and senses. A dog's master gains a +3 bonus on Lore (Nature) checks and a +2 bonus on Perception checks.

Feat Name: Viper Familiar
Feat GUID: 3c0b706c526e0654b8af90ded235a089
Object Name: ViperFamiliarBondFeature
Object Name (cleaned): Viper Familiar Bond Feature
Feat Description: A familiar is a magical pet that enhances the character's skills and senses. A viper's master gains a a +3 bonus on Persuasion checks and a +2 bonus on Perception checks.

I feel like that should be enough info to make the mod I want work, but I can't figure out where the spell data files are stored etc.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Mar 16, 2020

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
I figured that I might be able to farm an extra level in the Tenebrous Depths for my L18 party before going to Thousand Voices and what looks like endgame (I might actually finish this, finally, thanks to the quarantine), but man whatever algorithm decided to put SIX mandragora swarms in this one room on L14 can gently caress right off TYVM.

Lucky it was a side path at least but I can't think of any possible loot they could put at the end of that branch that would be worth the reloads it would take to pull that off, except maybe some Bane of the Living-tier hand-placed super item.

Also it looks like there actually WON'T be enough XP in this DLC to make a dent in what I need for L19, oh well. At least this weird theme build idea I had is working out (though I really hope Wrath brings in the Sanctified Slayer Inquisitor archetype so I can do it with fewer silly contortions and lost casting levels).

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Mar 16, 2020

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Report from my playthrough: okay yeah I changed my mind on kingdom management. It's a bit unfortunate that after Pitax it's clear that Owlbear ran out of game and rather than just reduce the number of chapters just added some filler and force you to sit through a couple of years of watching kingdom events. They should at least have done something with the narrative so that the characters think the story is over (but you know the game isn't) or something so there's a building sense of tension. Instead I'm just spinning wheels.

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss

Dallan Invictus posted:

I figured that I might be able to farm an extra level in the Tenebrous Depths for my L18 party before going to Thousand Voices and what looks like endgame (I might actually finish this, finally, thanks to the quarantine), but man whatever algorithm decided to put SIX mandragora swarms in this one room on L14 can gently caress right off TYVM.

Lucky it was a side path at least but I can't think of any possible loot they could put at the end of that branch that would be worth the reloads it would take to pull that off, except maybe some Bane of the Living-tier hand-placed super item.

Also it looks like there actually WON'T be enough XP in this DLC to make a dent in what I need for L19, oh well. At least this weird theme build idea I had is working out (though I really hope Wrath brings in the Sanctified Slayer Inquisitor archetype so I can do it with fewer silly contortions and lost casting levels).

Swarms are slow. Particularly with turn based it's pretty easy to kite them backwards while dropping slowing/aoe spells like Sirocco in their path until they're dead. Mandragora swarms have an obscene amount of health but aren't any different than any other swarm. I agree swarms are really annoying and poorly implemented in this game especially if you play rtwp, but they aren't actually that difficult to kill once you figure out their gimmick, and provided you have cleared out enough of the rest of the level to have space to retreat to.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Dallan Invictus posted:

I finished the game with my main character at level 19 and I completed all the DLC and missed maybe two quests in the whole game.
I don't think I would have even made it to 19 without my absurd Persuasion stat (ended up somewhere in the 60s before temporary buffs) and the XP you get from Persuasion checks.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Wizard Styles posted:

I finished the game with my main character at level 19 and I completed all the DLC and missed maybe two quests in the whole game.
I don't think I would have even made it to 19 without my absurd Persuasion stat (ended up somewhere in the 60s before temporary buffs) and the XP you get from Persuasion checks.

You either need to squeeze every possible XP opportunity (like xp gaisn from the persuasion checks you mentioned, doing the hardest checks in the rushlight tourney, doing every single quest and encounter including Ferniras, Ilthuliak, Surangamin priests) and you will hit 20 with the whole at the last few hours of the endgame OR you cheese it a bit.
Turn XP gains from passing checks to solo instead of shared, do some quests with a smaller party and xp share off and hit 20 before House at the End of Fun. When your party rejoins you there, they will match your level, gaining 1 or 2 levels easily.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Grapplejack posted:

Being lawful is actually great fun and more people should do it

Kingmaker was fun because, much like all of my D&D sessions, I was the only person playing LG among a party of neutrals and chaotics

Kingmaker is the first time I've tried a Lawful playthrough. Also my first time trying Evil. It's been a lot of fun and as far as I can tell Lawful Evil is literally just being a capitalist so it's been surprisingly easy to roleplay.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

FuzzySlippers posted:

I enjoyed the kingdom management too. I also like having time limitations in games to plan around (like Xcom 2) which seem to make a lot of people stress out and hate poo poo.

It's kind of crazy, I think it comes down to same thing wrt RtwP vs Turn Based. You are born and your body is assigned one of those preferences. It doesn't actually matter what the time limit is. If the time limit was "until heat death of the universe" there'd still be someone who booted up the game, noticed a timer, and they just run away forever immediately. The first time scientists noted this phenomena was Majora's Mask. 15% of players who they tested literally were unable to hear the explanation that the game isn't actually just a 3 day limit, their brains can only process terror and anxiety when confronted with an in-game clock. In the FEMA Death Camps any game with an in-game clock is forbidden, even games without timers that contain depictions of clocks.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Khanstant posted:

Kingmaker is the first time I've tried a Lawful playthrough. Also my first time trying Evil. It's been a lot of fun and as far as I can tell Lawful Evil is literally just being a capitalist so it's been surprisingly easy to roleplay.

Lawful Evil and Lawful Neutral are my favorite alignments for villains and antagonists. Lawful Evil gets to act within or even use the law to gently caress over the players, and Lawful Neutral gets to be the guy that the PCs really hate but have to admit isn't actually doing anything wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

JamMasterJim posted:

You either need to squeeze every possible XP opportunity (like xp gaisn from the persuasion checks you mentioned, doing the hardest checks in the rushlight tourney, doing every single quest and encounter including Ferniras, Ilthuliak, Surangamin priests) and you will hit 20 with the whole at the last few hours of the endgame OR you cheese it a bit.
Turn XP gains from passing checks to solo instead of shared, do some quests with a smaller party and xp share off and hit 20 before House at the End of Fun. When your party rejoins you there, they will match your level, gaining 1 or 2 levels easily.
I did all of the things you mentioned (as well as the whole Blakemore joke quest in Pitax, making every check I was offered) except the Surangamin. If those give a lot of XP it probably would have pushed me over the edge to 20. But that was the only major quest I didn't do, I even got the "true" ending which I assume is good for a few XP. Apart from that there was one artisan quest I didn't finish for roleplaying reasons and I couldn't help the spriggans because that's alignment-locked. I think that's all I missed. So yeah, I can see how you'd need to do every last thing if you want to get to 20.