Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Our entire operation is VDI, and it was laggy as gently caress for the first half of the morning. I'm talking 15 seconds to switch tabs in Chrome laggy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

MJP posted:

Our entire operation is VDI, and it was laggy as gently caress for the first half of the morning. I'm talking 15 seconds to switch tabs in Chrome laggy.
So, you mean Chrome being Chrome?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

AlexDeGruven posted:

When I worked in IT for Sears (lol), our vpn endpoint was in KC, MO. Our offices were in Troy, MI, and Hampton Estates (Chicago), IL.

When I would WFH, my round-trip was a minimum of 130ms, even though the Troy office is only 30 miles from home.

We used to have no split tunneling, and our AMER endpoint was San Francisco. For any AMER region connections...including South and Latin America. It hasn't really improved much. And our other major regions also have single concentrators, but at least we can split tunnel a lot of our traffic now.

WFH here is already a fuckshow. The contractors who were told they don't get PTO or the ability to work from home were sent out to unlock the Kensington cables on every desktop so people could come collect their desktops to take home. Now people keep hammering our phones all, "IS MY DESKTOP UNLOCKED?" I'm not on the phones, but my answer would be, "I don't loving know, I work in Portland. Go loving look yourself. You have health insurance and the guy who just unlocked it doesn't, so suck it up and wear a loving mask if you're paranoid. Also, good luck getting support next week, because [Agency] won't let people WFH, so they're either quitting or not answering their phones cuz they can't come in but can't get paid to work. ENJOY."

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm gone at all the people talking about lugging desktop PCs home

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Thanks Ants posted:

Don't get me started on the panicked conference call from my boss on Sunday asking, "Do we have FDE on our desktops?"

Or the number of people in the, "Yes, you can take your desktop home, but no, you can't take the monitors off their articulated arms," with, "BUY ME A MONITOR FOR HOME USE!!! :byodood:"

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
Our WFH policy for the duration of this covid thing includes that uses are allowed to bring a monitor home.

Our office is in downtown Chicago and 90% of our user's take (crowded rear end) public transit.

Lol

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Anyone going to try to carry a printer home?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Zil posted:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Use this as a good opportunity to just ‘lose’ a bunch of old trash that there was never the budget to replace before

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Merijn posted:

Our boss just called an all-hands meeting to discuss COVID-19 handling. We're all supposed to lug our desktops home and use the VPN, instead of using remote viewing software, or laptops. I guess?

At least our company is all laptops already, so the announcement this morning that mandatory WFH would start Monday was less painful. Less. I'm the computer toucher, so I hated my entire day.

MJP posted:

Big shoutout to everyone here and all the homies not in this thread that aren't getting or won't be getting WFH, and/or have to deal with helpdesk or support stuff during this time. I can't imagine it's easy to deal with the influx of "my VPN no worky" crap, doubly so if they're still making you come into the office.

I will do all I can not to add to your burden from my end. Stout hearts, comrades.

Oh, yeah, I'm *so* looking forward to Monday.
In case you couldn't smell it, that was sarcasm.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Already spent 45 minutes talking someone through downloading Citrix Receiver because their old Win7 machine just wouldn't download direct file links from Citrix.com. Still took 11 min to download a 50mb file from their lovely home connection.

I hope American ISPs get blasted for their half rear end networks during all this.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Thanks Ants posted:

Yeeep. Talk of having to encrypt all the desktops now and get anyconnect on them. My point of discussion during all this has been to make them physically set it up on their own desk before they can take it home. I'm tired of trying to explain what a display port cable looks like to the technologically illiterate. So looking forward to all the support calls that VPN work at home VDI sessions are "slow" :suicide:

If I went and sneezed on one of the paranoid managers I could probably get him to quarantine for a month.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I don't mean to gloat but I'm happy with the resilience that's coming from being in an org that's close to 100% remote workers. Essentially no change for our day to day.

If the disaster was internet-based perhaps it would go the other way.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
My office said everyone should take their desks home.

At least they let people expense cab rides.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

CaptainJuan posted:

Our WFH policy for the duration of this covid thing includes that uses are allowed to bring a monitor home.

Our office is in downtown Chicago and 90% of our user's take (crowded rear end) public transit.

Lol

Ummm do you work for my company? Because our HR director told our associates to bring one monitor home. Same location.

Zil posted:

One girl in Finance did, I don't really understand why but I wasn't in a mood to talk her out of it.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

At least you didn't offer to carry it for her.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

Zil posted:

Yes yes, I'll carry the printer home for you, m'CTO.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
The bank I work for is only about 25% laptops, but we're a few days away from supporting 90%+ work from home, through Azure Windows Virtual Desktops and the HTML5 RDP client. It's smooth enough, and we can transition tellers from lobbies to phone/chat support. It's given us a nice reason to force everyone to MFA, too.

I wouldn't be surprised if a one or two folks did need to take printers home, because they occasionally need to print and mail checks. That's Desktop Team's problem, though.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.

TITANKISSER69 posted:

Ummm do you work for my company? Because our HR director told our associates to bring one monitor home. Same location.

Looked at your post history, I don't think so lol

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

22 Eargesplitten posted:

At least you didn't offer to carry it for her.

She's especially attractive, but somebody already put a ring on it so :shrug:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Merijn posted:

Our boss just called an all-hands meeting to discuss COVID-19 handling. We're all supposed to lug our desktops home and use the VPN, instead of using remote viewing software, or laptops. I guess?

I mean that's not the worst case... I'd rather bring a desktop home than have to come into work.
Two of our three remote work solutions are down due to a recent breach so we're currently all in on Cisco Anyconnect, which is actually kind of a boon since they're giving out free licenses until July.

Anywho, we literally do not have enough laptops to handle all the people who work from home. So I could see how resorting to sending people home with desktops could happen.
We normally keep a stock of like 10 laptops or tablets as loaners but due to terrible fiscal responsibility and foresight, as well as an inability to decommission hardware in a timely fashion, we somehow wound up with 4x that many.
That combined with the departments that already have a stockpile of laptops and tablets for themselves still isn't enough to even come close to covering our workforce.
So we are resorting to the same thing. Just preparing to have to send people home with desktops that they will have to figure out for themselves.
It's loving nightmare because a large number of these "functioning adults" cannot loving figure out that the square peg will not fit in the round hole. So I'm sure we will wind up with Displayport cables mangled, USB's inserted into Ethernet ports, people using phone cables to connect their Ethernet port to their "wi-fi," sandwiches crammed into CD drives and literal feces smeared on computer screens.
gently caress you if you think I'm gonna follow you home to help you figure that poo poo out though.

You know that saying... if you have enough monkeys with typewriters eventually they'll write Shakespeare?
That is not true of end users, because every single one of them will destroy the loving typewriter.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
We just announced yesterday (as everyone was encouraged, but not required, to begin WFH if possible) that people will be able to take desktops and monitors home.

Also we don't track monitors since they're considered unimportant property like pens or paper (yes you read that right) so I fully expect a significant percentage to disappear and never come back.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Sheep posted:

Also we don't track monitors since they're considered unimportant property like pens or paper (yes you read that right) so I fully expect a significant percentage to disappear and never come back.

It's because they're cheap and get moved all the time so it's a pain in the rear end to keep an inventory up to date for them.

Anyway, here's some WFH bingo:

https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/working-from-home-during-a-global-pandemic-bingo

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Monday is my first ever WFH day for this company. The laptop I got (wahey!) is almost pristine. Last time I had to setup a new profile, it took me all day to get my dev tools in proper order. I suspect this will be an almost equally unproductive day.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Mrs. Doctor's company is opening up WFH broadly for the first time ever on Monday. The email announcing it said they were still expecting 100% scheduled shift coverage and 100% productivity, or "you may be called in to work at the office once again".

:jerkbag:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Sirotan posted:

It's because they're cheap and get moved all the time so it's a pain in the rear end to keep an inventory up to date for them.

Anyway, here's some WFH bingo:

https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/working-from-home-during-a-global-pandemic-bingo

let
me
__________I see it
know
when
you
__________yes
can
see
my
_________got it
screen

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nth Doctor posted:

Mrs. Doctor's company is opening up WFH broadly for the first time ever on Monday. The email announcing it said they were still expecting 100% scheduled shift coverage and 100% productivity, or "you may be called in to work at the office once again".

:jerkbag:

It's an empty threat, and if management don't know it then everyone working under them will; Someone forced to come in might be sick and then whoooops.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Which begs the question:

What class action lawsuits will emerge after all is said and done? What employee will come into work, get sick, and get lung scarring or die and a widow[er] kicks off a lawsuit?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
If our contractors had any actual money, maybe, but from what I hear they’d rather just throw up the middles and move to a different job.

Corporate is still wrangling to get the one agency in particular to loosen their WFH regs. Meanwhile, said agency’s website has a blog post about how it’s super important to WFH if there’s a pandemic! :v: I think the idea being, “let the employees you care about WFH, and bring in our under-caste scab employees to pick up the slack!”

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
I hope anyone working in development is careful tomorrow

beware the IDEs of march

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Canuck-Errant posted:

beware the IDEs of march

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Boo or not, I’m being ware

*installs all pending updates, backs up nothing*

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Nth Doctor posted:

100% productivity, or "you may be called in to work at the office once again".

"Or you will be sentenced to infection!"

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Canuck-Errant posted:

beware the IDEs of march

It's a Sunday. :geno:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
I've got an incredible amount of conference calls lined up this week. So I took today to throw together about 8 hours worth of vinyl only DJ sets; mostly deep house and trance, mostly lacking in vocals. Plus one good hour long Disco set, and one 30 minute set of nothing but ABBA remixes.
I've got my large diaphragm mic, laptop and Focusrite 4i4 set up and all ready to go.
I'm looking forward to dubbing in the conference audio over my sets and have a stack of very weird experimental noisemusic ready for when the conferences inevitably devolve into incoherent off-topic ramblings.
I'm debating on livestreaming the whole thing or just piping the sets directly back into the conference (sans conference audio input of course.)

Sadly, I am considered "essential" personnel so I doubt I'll ever actually get to make that call.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I've got an incredible amount of conference calls lined up this week. So I took today to throw together about 8 hours worth of vinyl only DJ sets; mostly deep house and trance, mostly lacking in vocals. Plus one good hour long Disco set, and one 30 minute set of nothing but ABBA remixes.
I've got my large diaphragm mic, laptop and Focusrite 4i4 set up and all ready to go.
I'm looking forward to dubbing in the conference audio over my sets and have a stack of very weird experimental noisemusic ready for when the conferences inevitably devolve into incoherent off-topic ramblings.
I'm debating on livestreaming the whole thing or just piping the sets directly back into the conference (sans conference audio input of course.)

Sadly, I am considered "essential" personnel so I doubt I'll ever actually get to make that call.

I like the way you think and plz share your Soundcloud or Mixcloud or whatever.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I like the way you think and plz share your Soundcloud or Mixcloud or whatever.

If this actually happens I think I might just host a conference bridge from my home Asterisk installation and have it join the call (muted of course) and pipe the conference audio in via speakerphone of one of my VVX500's Polycom Soundstation IP's for authenticity's sake.
I'll borrow a DID number from somewhere and post it here. Soundcloud for those of you who couldn't attend.

e: for full transparency, there is actually at least once call I definitely cannot stream.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost
This sounds like fun and since my team has a no-meeting-Monday rule, I'm definitely going to tune in.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

nullfunction posted:

This sounds like fun and since my team has a no-meeting-Monday rule, I'm definitely going to tune in.

gently caress, I wish we had a no-meeting-monday rule

Good luck tomorrow y'all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

took my work laptop home and installed gta 5 on it. yeah i'm working from home. grinding on these streets