Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Another question if I may. Ghosts of Mars is one of my favourite go-to mindless films. I feel like I read a thread here a couple years ago discussing 'siege' films, which mentioned Assault on Precinct 13, but also an older Western in that vein. Am I remembering wrong? Was it High Noon? I could be way off base, but I'm certain I read that Mars was based on one of the classic westerns.

Rio Bravo probably. John Wayne arrests the brother of some powerful town boss so he hires a bunch of outlaws to break his brother out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Thanks! Also, Ghosts of Mars is far better than it has any right to be.

Oh, Outland must be the High Noon style space remake, his wife just left

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Movies are better without narration and my greatest movie hope is that some day we'll get the OG version of 1994's Being Human.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

feedmyleg posted:

99% probability that it was to make it more "accessible" to dumb-dumbs in test screenings who wrote "I was confused for most of the movie :("

Congrats for being able to watch it the first time without getting spoiled! When I first saw it I didn't have access to the director's cut, but CineD told me to just cover my ears for the first minute or whatnot so I made it out unscathed, too.

Honestly, that's the best way to do it. The director's cut is more poorly-paced, and the rest of what it includes is pretty extraneous.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

when my cousin showed me dark city on dvd in like 2002-ish, he told me that his friends had said we should watch the intro sequence without sound

i remember thinking at the time that it was really dumb because sound is a huge part of a movie experience to me (also im not sure he explained it properly tbh), but im glad we did watch it like that

i dont think i ever saw the directors cut, can you elaborate on the pacing problems?

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Krankenstyle posted:

when my cousin showed me dark city on dvd in like 2002-ish, he told me that his friends had said we should watch the intro sequence without sound

i remember thinking at the time that it was really dumb because sound is a huge part of a movie experience to me (also im not sure he explained it properly tbh), but im glad we did watch it like that

i dont think i ever saw the directors cut, can you elaborate on the pacing problems?

Not super well, because it's been a long time since I've seen it, but all the scenes that are added back in do nothing but spell out information that's conveyed a lot more elegantly elsewhere, and that really slows things down.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ah so kindof an Aliens type thing where the individual extra scenes are pretty good but they just make the movie longer and more detailed without adding characterization or nuance?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Another question if I may. Ghosts of Mars is one of my favourite go-to mindless films. I feel like I read a thread here a couple years ago discussing 'siege' films, which mentioned Assault on Precinct 13, but also an older Western in that vein. Am I remembering wrong? Was it High Noon? I could be way off base, but I'm certain I read that Mars was based on one of the classic westerns.

Most of Carpenter’s siege movies are adaptations of or influenced by Rio Bravo.

E: d’oh didn’t see the new page.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

I just started watching L'avventura, and the framing of even the simplest of scenes is just impeccable - reminds me of Kurosawa or Tarkovsky. Now my temptation is to go all "they don't make em like this any more," but I'm sure they do.

So my question is - what are the most old school films today in terms of their blocking and framing? I thought of a few that may fit the bill - Portrait of a Lady on Fire, Pain & Glory, and The Lighthouse - but I'm sure there are plenty of others.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

fenix down posted:

I just started watching L'avventura, and the framing of even the simplest of scenes is just impeccable - reminds me of Kurosawa or Tarkovsky. Now my temptation is to go all "they don't make em like this any more," but I'm sure they do.

So my question is - what are the most old school films today in terms of their blocking and framing? I thought of a few that may fit the bill - Portrait of a Lady on Fire, Pain & Glory, and The Lighthouse - but I'm sure there are plenty of others.

The following Wes Anderson films are perfectly meticulous:

-The Royal Tenenbaums
-The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
-Moonrise Kingdom
-The Grand Budapest Hotel

A couple of older ones that are also impeccable:

-Hiroshima My Love (1959)
-Last Year at Marienbad (1961)

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

fenix down posted:

Bong Joon-ho and Johnnie To are probably the closest thing to A.Kurosawa these days.

No Bong caps, but some Johnnie To

The Mission(1999)

PTU(2003)

Throw Down(2004)

Drug War(2012)

Blind Detective(2013)

Third one is a cheat cause the whole movie is dedicated to A.Kurosawa and Sanshiro Sugata.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Some other ones I think fit the category would be Cold War, Roma, and Call Me By Your Name.

Zogo posted:

The following Wes Anderson films are perfectly meticulous:
-The Royal Tenenbaums
-Moonrise Kingdom
If it were a snake it would have bit me! I remember thinking Moonrise felt very French New Wave.

quote:

A couple of older ones that are also impeccable:
-Hiroshima My Love (1959)
This was on my watch list, but I'm moving it up!

Electronico6 posted:

Bong Joon-ho and Johnnie To are probably the closest thing to A.Kurosawa these days.

Drug War(2012)
Nice! I'm definitely checking this one out.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
How do digital intermediates get "printed" back onto celluloid?

e: ah here we go! And here. Well, if anyone happens to have any interesting documentary videos/film extras that cover the process I'd be interested.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Mar 20, 2020

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
How cold are fire extinguishers? In the film the blob, they use a fire extinguisher to freeze the bioweapon that the US government created that crash lands in a town. Can a fire extinguisher get cold enough to freeze something?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

If you discharge it really fast and put it in a closed system, it might freeze some small things. Haven't seen the movie tho

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

fart simpson posted:

will i ever be able to see a non comic book movie again

start watching good old movies

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Tenzarin posted:

How cold are fire extinguishers? In the film the blob, they use a fire extinguisher to freeze the bioweapon that the US government created that crash lands in a town. Can a fire extinguisher get cold enough to freeze something?

You can get ice crystals forming during discharge. I think youd be pushing it to actually freeze anything though.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
All the recent James Bond movies, the supposedly more gritty and down to earth ones, the movies that are supposed to be all about a guy who fucks and fucks and kills and kills, are all PG-13?? Why would children watch those movies??

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Because loving and killing are cool.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

All the recent James Bond movies, the supposedly more gritty and down to earth ones, the movies that are supposed to be all about a guy who fucks and fucks and kills and kills, are all PG-13?? Why would children watch those movies??

So teenagers can see them without depending on theater employees not giving a gently caress.

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

:phone:Hello
I have never seen or read a single Harry Potter but I am quite a big Alfonso Cuaron fan, can I skip straight to Prisoner of Azkaban and be able to follow the plot?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
While I think you could enjoy a lot of the Alfonso Cuaron-ness of the 3rd movie, you're likely to be completely lost on several plot elements. It may also be important to view the previous 2 just to have a sort of context for what Cuaron does bring to the table in terms of design, directing, and aesthetics

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Purple Monkey posted:

I have never seen or read a single Harry Potter but I am quite a big Alfonso Cuaron fan, can I skip straight to Prisoner of Azkaban and be able to follow the plot?

Not really. At that point you really just need to know that

A. Harry Potter is an orphan and he attends wizard school.

B. There's an evil wizard named Voldemort that everyone is afraid might return one day(spoiler alert: he does)

C. Voldemort has a special interest in Harry Potter for reasons that will become clearer as the series goes on

That's about it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

There's always the plot descriptions on Wikipedia that shouldn't take more than a handful of minutes to read and usually cover most elements you need to know in films.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Purple Monkey posted:

As someone who is also not a big Harry Potter fan (after not really digging the first book years before and not remembering anything from it) I made Prisoner of Azkaban my first movie of the series based on Internet Advice. I was never confused, but I did quickly realize that Harry Potter fans wildly exaggerate how much of his directorial style made it into the film. It never felt distinct from the subsequent films in the series to me—though admittedly I was only half-interested when I was watching them based on how much I enjoyed the supposed "best" of the series.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Apr 7, 2020

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

feedmyleg posted:

As someone who is also not a big Harry Potter fan (after not really digging the first book years before and not remembering anything from it) I made Prisoner of Azkaban my first movie of the series based on Internet Advice. I was never confused, but I did quickly realize that Harry Potter fans wildly exaggerate how much of his directorial style made it into the film. It never felt distinct from the subsequent films in the series to me—though admittedly I was only half-interested when I was watching them based on how much I enjoyed the supposed "best" of the series.

It's not really that it feels like a Cuaron film specifically, but it's very jarring to go from two Chris Columbus directed films to Prisoner of Azkaban if you watch them back to back. The Columbus films feel like 90s kids movies, they're very flat, whereas Prisoner of Azkaban feels like a modern blockbuster.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah, it’s less distinct from the subsequent films as it is from the previous films. The subsequent films just all stole from it.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Purple Monkey posted:

It's just Star Wars

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Part of that is later directors borrowed a lot stylistically from Cuaron, whereas the first two are pure Chris Columbus drivel.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Skwirl posted:

Part of that is later directors borrowed a lot stylistically from Cuaron, whereas the first two are pure Chris Columbus drivel.

I always confuse Chris Columbus and Joe Johnston and then when people say he sucks i'm like hey he's made some pretty good movies, more good than bad really be fair

But no he hasn't, Chris Columbus sucks

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Home Alone and Mrs. Doubtfire would like a word with you.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I mean, he gets a lifetime pass for writing Gremlins, but his ratio of bad to good and the length of time since he's done anything interesting puts him firmly in the "don't bother to ever get excited about anything he's making" category.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

Leavemywife posted:

I've read stories about actors getting into fist fights on sets, but I don't think I've ever seen one about the cops being called. Why is that?

The imputes is to settle things "in house" first for everybody's sake, when you're a freelancer you don't want to burn available days on the stand.

Additionally, if you're shooting on location you have off-duties as traffic control, safety, etc. so they're already there so you keep your behavior in line. They're mostly pretty cool, you'd have to really be pushing it to get arrested by them.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Leavemywife posted:

I've read stories about actors getting into fist fights on sets, but I don't think I've ever seen one about the cops being called. Why is that?

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt2092533/

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
A buddy and I were talking about films like Outbreak and Contagion, and we were interested to see if the coronavirus response would shape how pandemics are portrayed in media in the same way 9/11 became the visual basis for what citywide destruction looks like. Are there any other cases where a single event has reshaped how similar events are portrayed in media?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Mrs. Doubtfire is complete horseshit the moment you actually pay attention to how gross of a film it really is.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

Mrs. Doubtfire is complete horseshit the moment you actually pay attention to how gross of a film it really is.

I haven't seen it since the 90s, but I saw a tweet the other day saying something like "if you were a single mother working full time and dating Pierce Brosnan, why on earth wouldn't you let your ex have the kids on weekends?"

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Skwirl posted:

I haven't seen it since the 90s, but I saw a tweet the other day saying something like "if you were a single mother working full time and dating Pierce Brosnan, why on earth wouldn't you let your ex have the kids on weekends?"

Maybe your ex is Woody Allen.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

therattle posted:

Maybe your ex is Woody Allen.

And you just somehow made Mrs Doubtfire even worse.

Did you know it's been turned into a stage musical?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Skwirl posted:

Not even that, the movie begins with Robin Williams doing the voice track for a fully completed animated cartoon live and on the fly. :rolleyes:

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Apr 10, 2020