Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Not a Children posted:

I think current market rates have 256 being the most optimal $/GB wise. 400 sounds like overkill to me, but I only buy about a game a month and delete games I haven't played in a while (I also don't have a lot of the giant 3rd party games that take up like 20 apiece)

Yeah. But it's just 5 euro. However 65 euro seems really low for 400 GB, which is why I kinda feel like it's a scam seeing that the company store has it for 185 euro normally, but I also almost never buy things online so I'm really bad at this.

The 256 feels safer, since it's on sale from the more or less normal listed price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

400gb cards are less than $60 on amazon us. i'm not sure where you are in the world or what the situation is but €185 for a 400gb microsd card is the most ridiculous poo poo i've ever heard

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I've filled my 400GB card and I don't even have everything I own installed. Get 400 to be safe

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Weedle posted:

400gb cards are less than $60 on amazon us. i'm not sure where you are in the world or what the situation is but €185 for a 400gb microsd card is the most ridiculous poo poo i've ever heard

I'm in France. That was just me checking the Sandisk site itself. If that's the price in the States though that sounds more reliable then. The 256 is half off, bringing it to about 60. The other is some unknown "professional" retailer. I'm only buying online because after I went in person to a store I found out they don't stock anything higher than 128 for whatever reason (I also didn't go into the biggest store in the city for obvious reasons).

Weedle
May 31, 2006

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I'm in France. That was just me checking the Sandisk site itself. If that's the price in the States though that sounds more reliable then. The 256 is half off, bringing it to about 60. The other is some unknown "professional" retailer. I'm only buying online because after I went in person to a store I found out they don't stock anything higher than 128 for whatever reason (I also didn't go into the biggest store in the city for obvious reasons).

https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B0758NHWS8

256 for €60, 400 for €80

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

64bit_Dophins posted:

I will say that I do not care for the Joycons. I'm assuming that the Nintendo Pro controller is the way to go? Or is there a better 3rd party option?

The Pro Controller is nice as hell, but there is a cheaper option. The Grip is poo poo because of the angle your hands are in, but just cut it in half in the middle with a dremel or even regular saw. There's gently caress all inside it and it's build like a brick poo poo house so there's zero chance of it falling apart. It's insanely comfortable to play with your hands wherever and not in your lap.
Obviously don't do this with a Grip with a battery inside.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Cool thanks.

Getting a 400.

hatty posted:

I've filled my 400GB card and I don't even have everything I own installed. Get 400 to be safe

I don't buy games all that often, but also don't buy consoles every generation. The Switch is going to last me for a while with all that comes with it.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

oh if you order from amazon make sure you buy it directly from amazon and only amazon, no third party sellers, there are a lot of fake micro sd cards out there and you might not realize it until your data starts disappearing because it's actually a 16gb card where they juked the controller to make it look like it has 400gb of space

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Took a picture.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug
I have the original Satisfye grip. My spouse is getting their own Switch for AC and we are probably going to play together but only a single TV. Is the new grip worth it?

If so is the new grip significantly smaller? I bought a case for the first one and almost never used it because it was too large for traveling

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Lodin posted:

Man, your laptop must really be a potato if it can't run a visual novel. That said I sort of wish I knew about this version and waited.

It's from like..2012 I think? It was a windows 8 machine out the box and now can't install any new windows 10 updates. I probably could run it but I want to play it on my TV/commute.

Also 400gb SF card supremacy. INSTALL ALL THE GAMES.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Lodin posted:

Man, your laptop must really be a potato if it can't run a visual novel. That said I sort of wish I knew about this version and waited.

A good many visual novels now have extra bells and whistles like animation that runs on specific engines, so it's not that surprising.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Cool Celeste engine/physics details that most probably didn’t notice and may make your play throughs a little better?

https://twitter.com/mattthorson/status/1238338574220546049?s=21

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I saw that this morning and it reminded me of someone once saying, basically "if you knew half the stuff going on in the background to make 'hard' games playable by human beings, you'd never believe it."

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
have they made a Satisfye that can stay on while the Switch is docked? That's the main reason I don't use mine more often

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Lodin posted:

Took a picture.

That's a good idea. I'm gonna look for a cheap one on craigslist.

This is probably obvious to most but if an SD card is priced significantly lower than the competiton, its probably a fake. The firmware is modified to show it has the right capacity, but it doesn't. And if you fill it up more than its real capacity it will start writing over other data.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

ankle posted:

Got the new AC Switch, looking for a new game to play while waiting for Animal Crossing. Xenoblade Chronicles 2? Looking into it, I can't exactly tell what kind of RPG it is, or what games it might be comparable to- and how important is it to have played the first one?

Mario + Rabbids is on sale for $15 right now. Should last you a week. I just played the first few hours and, despite being on the fence about it (and I don't even mind Rabbids), it's definitely got that Nintendo Magic and is awesome so far.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

enojy posted:

Mario + Rabbids is on sale for $15 right now. Should last you a week. I just played the first few hours and, despite being on the fence about it (and I don't even mind Rabbids), it's definitely got that Nintendo Magic and is awesome so far.

The difficulty and complexity definitely ramp upwards

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1238551410620297217?s=19

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Cool Celeste engine/physics details that most probably didn’t notice and may make your play throughs a little better?

https://twitter.com/mattthorson/status/1238338574220546049?s=21

Coyote Time has got to be one of my favorite bits of industry jargon.

In the context of 2D platformers you know what it means immediately.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

gariig posted:

I have the original Satisfye grip. My spouse is getting their own Switch for AC and we are probably going to play together but only a single TV. Is the new grip worth it?

If so is the new grip significantly smaller? I bought a case for the first one and almost never used it because it was too large for traveling

The new grip keeps the plastic from potentially cutting into the system, they also 'fixed' some long use case issues. I think the price difference between the two is negligible compared to when you got the original, and it's only cheaper how because they're liquidating the old stock. They also have a slim case that's about half the size of the elite.

Here's the video comparing both

https://youtu.be/WtpUB6QblcA

It's also on sale currently on their site

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Mar 13, 2020

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Ogmius815 posted:

I am aware that the Switch lite cannot connect to a TV. I wouldn’t be playing on a TV right now and I think the $100 now is more valuable to me than the possibility of doing it at some unspecified time in the future. I’m wondering if it’s decent hardware other than that.

The regular switch, when you play it in handheld form, some games look like dogshit compared to docked mode. IDK if the lite just does docked mode performance but Xenoblade Chronicles 2 looks so fuckin bad undocked.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Minidust posted:

have they made a Satisfye that can stay on while the Switch is docked? That's the main reason I don't use mine more often

The Skull and Co Gripcase goes in the dock. Give it a look.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

GreenBuckanneer posted:

The regular switch, when you play it in handheld form, some games look like dogshit compared to docked mode. IDK if the lite just does docked mode performance but Xenoblade Chronicles 2 looks so fuckin bad undocked.

That's a really good point. I was on the fence about getting a Lite before they announced the Animal Crossing Switch, at which point, my hands were tied.

Most games I played in the first year (I owned a Switch but sold it) were pretty well-optimized for handheld, but I do remember a couple of stinkers. Also, some games had incredibly tiny fonts, and the Lite's screen is even smaller than the full-sized Switch's.

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

Haven’t had much gaming time. I beat links awakening, Pokémon, and have stardew valley. Any recommendations for piping hot Nintendo games?

The switch needs some quality time with this gamer.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

TURGID TOMFOOLERY posted:

Haven’t had much gaming time. I beat links awakening, Pokémon, and have stardew valley. Any recommendations for piping hot Nintendo games?

The switch needs some quality time with this gamer.

Mario Maker is on sale until midnight tomorrow.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Hammer Bro. posted:

What is it? I figured it had to do with Wile E Coyote because of "impossible" events.

Just thinking about it, those old Roadrunner and Coyote shorts are excellent.

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

Hammer Bro. posted:

... So it's not the fancy backflip I do when I dodge my own ACME warhead?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

they should call it a diddy jump because it makes me think of rolling off edges in dkc2 and jumping a mile away from the ledge

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
There's like three thousand games on the Switch according to DekuDeals, if you can't find anything to play that's your fault.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

100YrsofAttitude posted:

What is it? I figured it had to do with Wile E Coyote because of "impossible" events.

Just thinking about it, those old Roadrunner and Coyote shorts are excellent.

when you walk off a platform and jump in midair

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Weedle posted:

when you walk off a platform and jump in midair

I get that. But why Coyote Time?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Weedle
May 31, 2006

100YrsofAttitude posted:

oh i misunderstood what you were asking. yeah it is named after old warner bros cartoons

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Weedle posted:

oh i misunderstood what you were asking. yeah it is named after old warner bros cartoons

Cool. Gonna watch more of those on youtube. They still hold up.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

You guys need to stop lying to people. Prowler mode is bad

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
paging Silver Falcon to the Switch thread, someone called prowler mode bad

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Your Computer posted:

paging Silver Falcon to the Switch thread, someone called prowler mode bad

Not the first time I have itt either :colbert:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Suddenly it's so clear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

My Switch started loving up last year and I wanted to play Death Stranding so I sold it and bought a PS4. But I beat Death Stranding and now Animal Crossing is coming out so I bought a new Switch. What Switch games have I missed in the last, 8 months or so I guess? The last thing I remember, everybody was really excited for To All Mankind. Has that gotten an English release yet?