Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

scope, laser, altfire and reload are all bound to punctuation at the right side of the keyboard by default. if you can't remember or muscle memory takes over and you press R it makes you turn the camera to look straight up, and if you try the middle click you drop your gun. against all odds crouch is neither c or ctrl, but x. + and / for quick save/load because they really blew it on the F keys. it's a mess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, a lot of those keys are gargabe. But where would you put the Aug hotkeys if you where a game dev? F1-F10 is reasonably logical; a player might want only three or four, bound to mouse keys and stuff like T,G,B, but that's personal preference and you can't ship like that. I think I actually didn't use quicksave at all when I played DX the first few times, I just ate the botched stealth and resulting combat. Not sure if I have such willpower today, that's for sure.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Remember when PC games came with reference sheets showing what keys all the controls were mapped to? I still never did figure out that Jane's Apache game anyway.

Feel like it was only after the rise of console shooters that PC shooter controls started getting standardised. Before then, I'm pretty sure it was just assumed people would remap the controls.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Remember when PC software came with double-sided (one side for Model F keyboards, other for Model M keyboards) cut-outs you'd fit around your function keys showing what they were mapped to?

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
Horizon Zero Dawn is an amazing game and I'm loving it, but I really don't like Alot cause she talks to herself waaaay too much. At this point I'm starting to pity her as I think she suffers from mental illness.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And the sad thing is that most modern UIs are garbage, but they were just even worse in the old days.

Consoles oddly enough were often flat out better since they had to actively work with limited inputs from a controller, while PC just made developers stop giving a poo poo entirely.

The GUI was perfected by Jeff Vogel with Geneforge 1.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

morrowind is the best elder scrolls. i dont care how janky its mechanics are

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

goethe.cx posted:

morrowind is the best elder scrolls. i dont care how janky its mechanics are

Morrowind stands highest among a series of universally great games.

Yes all of them.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Chomp8645 posted:

Morrowind stands highest among a series of universally great games.

Yes all of them.

are arena and daggerfall actually good? i've heard the opposite

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Daggerfall's a janky bug ridden mess that was released to the public way before it should have been. Frequent crashes, non-sensical dialogue, glaringly obvious typos (the first time you kill "a scorpian" is amazing), it's got it all.

In spite of all that it's one of the most enjoyable games I played back in the day and it ate hundreds and hundreds of hours of my teenage life. I spent some time messing around in Daggerfall Unity last year and it was still fun, though I have much less patience for it these days.

large_gourd
Jan 17, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

poverty goat posted:

scope, laser, altfire and reload are all bound to punctuation at the right side of the keyboard by default. if you can't remember or muscle memory takes over and you press R it makes you turn the camera to look straight up, and if you try the middle click you drop your gun. against all odds crouch is neither c or ctrl, but x. + and / for quick save/load because they really blew it on the F keys. it's a mess

i think i probably didn't mind because i pretty much never used scope, laser, altfire and rarely actually pressed reload myself anyway. it's an rpg, really, most of it is talking and stealth with occasionally pressing the mouse button to make things die.

ctrl is like the 2nd place my finger checks for crouch. i don't know if it is because i'm left handed but i think this is a better key for it than c, fits my hand better.

and i like the augs being f1-12. it's easy to remember and right there on the screen.

i'm not saying it's perfect or modern but it's not really notable as bad to play the same way system shock is.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

large_gourd posted:

i think i probably didn't mind because i pretty much never used scope, laser, altfire and rarely actually pressed reload myself anyway. it's an rpg, really, most of it is talking and stealth with occasionally pressing the mouse button to make things die.

ctrl is like the 2nd place my finger checks for crouch. i don't know if it is because i'm left handed but i think this is a better key for it than c, fits my hand better.

if you read the post you will note that crouch is neither ctrl nor c but x which is really bad

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

The GUI was perfected by Jeff Vogel with Geneforge 1.

i love geneforge and SWS games but this post is violence

did you back the kickstarter for the geneforge remaster because i am super hype for it

large_gourd
Jan 17, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

food court bailiff posted:

if you read the post you will note that crouch is neither ctrl nor c but x which is really bad

oh, oops.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

it’s so bad the mind reels from acceptance and understanding, not your fault at all

(ctrl toggle crouch 4eva)

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Daggerfall's a janky bug ridden mess that was released to the public way before it should have been. Frequent crashes, non-sensical dialogue, glaringly obvious typos (the first time you kill "a scorpian" is amazing), it's got it all.

In spite of all that it's one of the most enjoyable games I played back in the day and it ate hundreds and hundreds of hours of my teenage life. I spent some time messing around in Daggerfall Unity last year and it was still fun, though I have much less patience for it these days.

This is how I feel about literally every Fallout and Elder Scrolls game. The longer each one has been out the crazier it seems that anyone liked them at all, let alone adored them. Oblivion is the weirdest one to me. How did I ever get even a little bit immersed in that world?

But I did, I loving dove into that poo poo.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

PinheadSlim posted:

This is how I feel about literally every Fallout and Elder Scrolls game. The longer each one has been out the crazier it seems that anyone liked them at all, let alone adored them. Oblivion is the weirdest one to me. How did I ever get even a little bit immersed in that world?

But I did, I loving dove into that poo poo.

excuse me but new vegas still owns, buggy or no

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

large_gourd posted:

i think i probably didn't mind because i pretty much never used scope, laser, altfire and rarely actually pressed reload myself anyway.

The laser breaks the unmodded game over its knee by giving you pinpoint accuracy. It’s kind of fun by letting you pull off ludicrous long range pistol headshots but it does weird stuff to the progression curve when your starting pistol is one-shotting mid-late game enemies.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

goethe.cx posted:

excuse me but new vegas still owns, buggy or no

Corona-panic has melted my brain, how else could I have forgotten my favorite RPG

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Hector Delgado posted:

Horizon Zero Dawn is an amazing game and I'm loving it, but I really don't like Alot cause she talks to herself waaaay too much. At this point I'm starting to pity her as I think she suffers from mental illness.

True but she has some great lines throughout the game. Her disinterest in being a VG protagonist can be pretty funny at times.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

zelda 2 > zelda 3 > zelda 1

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

true to the thread title i see

Zzulu posted:

I've never played a zelda game and probably never will since they all look like Dull Crap.

some games look like dull crap. it's different for everyone. i ain't judge

for instance, mine is "anything made by yoko taro"

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Mar 14, 2020

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I've never played a zelda game and probably never will since they all look like Dull Crap.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

3 is the better game, 1 is the more important game, but if I were to rank them by how much fun I have playing them it would be like this.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I've never played a pokemon game and probably never will since they all look like Dull Crap.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

poverty goat posted:

I've never played a pokemon game and probably never will since they all look like Dull Crap.

Hello, 7 year old me.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
My first Pokemon game was Black and those games are ok. Brainless time wasters. My unpopular opinion is that Detective Pikachu on the 3DS is easily the best game of the franchise.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Red/Blue/Yellow was a legit great game when it came out and was perfect for kids. What followed since is 20+ years of Game Freak and Pokemon fans desperately trying to recapture that magic.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

the current gen of pokemon is actually pretty fun, the raids are a cool idea and battles on the whole are more interesting than they used to be

diamond was one of the worst games ive ever played and was about a hundred hours too goddamn long

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
pokemon games are still for kids and its people that are getting older trying to recapture the magic

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

site posted:

pokemon games are still for kids and its people that are getting older trying to recapture the magic

why does everyone say this lol

im not trying to recapture anything it’s a nice game to fall asleep to

it’s okay to enjoy things that are fun

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

is pepsi ok posted:

Red/Blue/Yellow was a legit great game when it came out

Hmm...

I'll give it a pass.

However, every release since then has been garbo.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

why does everyone say this lol

im not trying to recapture anything it’s a nice game to fall asleep to

it’s okay to enjoy things that are fun

i mean, im playing ultra sun for the first time right now so its not like im against playing pokemon as an old, but i sure remember a year ago when the internet loving exploded with people my age complaining about how lovely the switch version was gonna be for ~reasons~ mostly about how it wasnt living up to past versions iirc

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

yeah if you hang out at places where weirdos are obsessing over something you will find some obsessed weirdos

extrapolating that any further seems weird

i know a bunch of people were mad that there wasn’t every historical monster in there but playing the game it seriously feels like the right choice, each pokemon feels unique and has a niche it can fill, there aren’t seventeen variations of pigeons or anything

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

the Pokémon game for the switch was bad

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

yeah if you hang out at places where weirdos are obsessing over something you will find some obsessed weirdos

tbh i wouldnt say i hang out in pokemon circles, US is the first time ive played one since emerald and i only picked it up to see how citra runs on my pc lol. it just seemed to be a big thing on twitter

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
I genuinely loved that little moment when Pokemon Go was new and at work on monday some people with kids were saying they had been out all weekend finding some poo poo called pokemon and one guy who doesn't have kids said he had done the same.

The ever so slight

was beautiful

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
I'm old and I was thrilled to finally get the Execellent curveball throws done for special research.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Lodin posted:

My first Pokemon game was Black and those games are ok. Brainless time wasters. My unpopular opinion is that Detective Pikachu on the 3DS is easily the best game of the franchise.

the best game in the franchise is explorers of sky. best pacing, came from the age of peak localization where everything was colloquial and sounded like it was something a person would actually say with no forced memes injected into the text, and emotional enough to even make grown rear end adults cry

diamond was one of the worst games ive ever played and was about a hundred hours too goddamn long

ngl dppt was slow as hell but it's still one of my favorites. best soundtrack in the series. i don't mind slow games, even glacial ones, i'm in no hurry

site posted:

it just seemed to be a big thing on twitter

get off social media it literally rots your brain

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Mar 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Bidoof posted:

Oof…! Seems that it's been a mighty long time since I apprenticed at this here guild. I get so frustrated being so klutzy and slow… Yup yup! Don't I know it! I'm a slow worker. And it takes me longer to learn than others. Oof… I sure miss my home and folks. Yup yup! But! I can't be what I want to be if I admit defeat now! No sirree, by golly! Yup yup! I have my big dream! I'm surely going to become a first-class explorer, yup! And that's why I've started this here diary! It's a way for me to keep track of what I'm made of. Yup yup! Yup yup! Tomorrow, I'll hold my head up high! I'll get things done!