Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

His fists are bathed in the blood of his enemies :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

sigher posted:

But that happened to the whole roster except Kirby and DLC characters.

Yeah, the characters already in the game got owned* by Galeem but still got in. I don't know how DLC characters avoided it IN LORE though.

*Kirby excluded because that warp star is next-level bonkers fast.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

SeANMcBAY posted:

It seems weird to add spirits for a character they have planned but Sakurai has shown us time and time again that he doesn’t give a gently caress about “rules”.

He did vouch for the Xbox 360 on a Nintendo stream. Then did this on a Nintendo stream.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, the characters already in the game got owned* by Galeem but still got in. I don't know how DLC characters avoided it IN LORE though.

Tabuu had not yet woven the thread of their universe into the fabric of Smash Brothers. This is how Joker, Banjo, Terry and the gang escaped Galeem's piercing light.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Sam Faust posted:

My assumption is that they wouldn't release a spirit if they knew it would fit as part of the dlc, but if they released a spirit before they actually considered a certain character, it could happen. Like any spirit in the base game is probably a possibility for the 2nd fp because we know they didn't plan that far ahead but not Ring Fit Adventure or Warframe.

I think a key thing is people are underestimating how early character rosters are decided, since they take a long time to develop. As said before, the entire Ultimate base roster was set in stone years before release (besides a placeholder Pokemon that ended up being Incineroar), and I imagine both Fighter's Pass rosters were decided well either either was announced. It's unlikely they'd go back and change their mind after making the Spirits in question. Not that it couldn't happen, and I'd reckon they wouldn't consider an existing Spirit reason to disqualify a character, just that it's more using the Spirits to guess their priorities.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

RareAcumen posted:

my head canon is that the warp star, true to its name, not only does not go fast, it doesn't go at all - it simply moves all of space around it

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

RareAcumen posted:

Maybe all of the DLC characters are residing in the pocket of time and space Kirby went to when he escaped the Smash Snap and he's slowly bringing them back to the real world. Kirby knows who's coming then I guess.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

sigher posted:

Maybe all of the DLC characters are residing in the pocket of time and space Kirby went to when he escaped the Smash Snap and he's slowly bringing them back to the real world. Kirby knows who's coming then I guess.

Don't you only get the DLC characters after getting your fifth character on the default roster?

They could've just been tag alongs with the characters you unlocked.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Reiley posted:

Tabuu had not yet woven the thread of their universe into the fabric of Smash Brothers. This is how Joker, Banjo, Terry and the gang escaped Galeem's piercing light.

I think he got em

AndTheRest.gif

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

The Bloop posted:

I think he got em

AndTheRest.gif

:actually: that means the dlc characters are space aliens

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

EorayMel posted:

XCOM when

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

EorayMel posted:

From a different GALAXY maybe

Or a parallel universe or some poo poo, sure

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kirby actually preemptively ate all their worlds, lucky for them.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Whether characters being implemented as spirits into Smash means if they won't be implemented as Fighters for Ultimate greatly depends on if the Smash team is willing to ignore the game's own logic to satisfy fan demand.

That being said, there is a pool of hundreds of game characters that the devs can choose six from without having to double dip and reuse characters who are already in the game as something else.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I would assume that being added as spirits now would preclude them from being DLC, as the DLC has been decided.

I'd say most of the event spirit updates are out, though.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Didn't people think Chrom was deconfirmed because he was in Robin's final smash?

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Iirc Robin's FS hadn't been shown yet for Ultimate before the direct that revealed Chrom. The assumption at the time was that it must have been changed, likely to something Grima related.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm still a little annoyed Dark Samus's final smash isn't Metroid Prime

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Waiting now for this song to show up in a future DLC pack.

https://youtu.be/JtPp0ovsINw

No matter how thin, no matter how THICK.

how did you pull this out of the dark recess of my mind when i was thinking about it the other day?

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam
I feel like people rarely talk about actually playing this game. Debating what's better, crushing someone, or loving robbing someone who was winning by using something well timed but unfortunate for them. Off stage reversal or the like.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Agrinja posted:

I feel like people rarely talk about actually playing this game. Debating what's better, crushing someone, or loving robbing someone who was winning by using something well timed but unfortunate for them. Off stage reversal or the like.

No better feeling than lose the first stock -> opponent aggressively teabags -> take it back with a three stick streak -> opponent disconnects right as they hit the blast zone.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Agrinja posted:

Why talk when you can play the game. Join The official goonsmash discord today goonsmash is not affiliated with the goon discord network in any way join at youre own risk. prices may vary

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

who plays this dead game. they haven't added a new character in two months

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam

Smiling Knight posted:

No better feeling than lose the first stock -> opponent aggressively teabags -> take it back with a three stick streak -> opponent disconnects right as they hit the blast zone.

Yeah, this is also great. Hm, might have to hit up the discord. I think I joined, I've just never been there.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Gaffle posted:

:hmmyes:

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

This here. Phoenix would be far and away the best Capcom choice and his loyalty to Nintendo deserves a reward.

If Capcom gets another one after Mega Man and it's not Scrooge as he appeared in NES DuckTales it'll make perfect sense but still make me sad.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

theironjef posted:

If Capcom gets another one after Mega Man and it's not Scrooge as he appeared in NES DuckTales it'll make perfect sense but still make me sad.

Aside from breaking the rules, if they get something Disney into Smash Bros it'd absolutely be Sora. (I think Disney technically owns all the original Kingdom Hearts characters)

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Companies usually put their top guy in so in this case I’m thinking either Mickey Mouse or Elsa

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
the goon smash discord needs to be in the OP

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

the op of this thread doesnt play he only gambles on tournament matches he will never change it

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Gaffle posted:

Yeah, I'm sick of it. Anyone have any recommendations on selling it and getting a decent amount of money for it? Should I just go for Ebay or what?

Seriously, I wanna sell this and Dragon Quest 11 because I'm annoyed by swapping the tiny little cartridges in and out of the Switch so I want to sell those and just buy a digital version of the games.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Gaffle posted:

the op of this thread doesnt play he only gambles on tournament matches he will never change it

This

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Dead game player here.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Gaffle posted:

AV/post combo

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
There are already like 3 different Ridley spirits. Sad to say he'll probably never be playable in Smash. :smith:

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Its important to remember that a character's Spirit changes with their look. This is why BotW Zelda will never be in super smash bros, but BotW2 Zelda will join in the next fighter's pass

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

hosed up that overalls Waluigi is banned from Smash, yet the next DLC is going to be tennis outfit Waluigi.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Anybody have a character who makes you happy whenever you remember they're in Smash? Ridley and Banjo & Kazooie never fail to delight me with their very presences.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Sonic the Hedgehog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Supersonic Shine posted:

Anybody have a character who makes you happy whenever you remember they're in Smash? Ridley and Banjo & Kazooie never fail to delight me with their very presences.

A lot of them but Snake comes to mind first. I really thought we wouldn’t see him ever again in Smash.

It also makes me happy that Pit, Mega Man and Simon Belmont got reunited together as a regular morning viewer of Captain N.