Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

Supersonic Shine posted:

Anybody have a character who makes you happy whenever you remember they're in Smash? Ridley and Banjo & Kazooie never fail to delight me with their very presences.
Mario, Bayonetta, and Ryu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Supersonic Shine posted:

Anybody have a character who makes you happy whenever you remember they're in Smash? Ridley and Banjo & Kazooie never fail to delight me with their very presences.

I am glad that Ultimate finally gave me the chance to play as the fearsome space bounty hunter, Samus Aran

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I'm very happy Ridley is in the game, less so he has such a weird placestyle and feels kinda pathetic next to the other heavies (yes I know what his weight is)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Supersonic Shine posted:

Daisy :kimchi:

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Supersonic Shine posted:

King K. Rool

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Still get hyped for this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKJywQF-cXA

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Supersonic Shine posted:

Byleth

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Bleck posted:

King K. Rool

Extremely :same:

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Supersonic Shine posted:

Honestly, Cloud, if only because of how impossible the entire thing would've seemed before it happened.

Ditto for Shovel Knight, Sans, and Cuphead, because I wouldn't have expected indie stuff to receive that sort of nod.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

The Snake reveal trailer remains one of the hypest of all time.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Also a big fan of Dragon Quest Heroes getting in. Erdrick's hazy reveal is the best part of that trailer for me, and if I had any idea how to make mp4s or videos I'd be doing that all the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pO8svM-ylwY&t=124s

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Beamed posted:

The Snake reveal trailer remains one of the hypest of all time.

Closely followed by the Everyone is Here reveal the 2nd time

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Supersonic Shine posted:

robin and byleth

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

sharrrk posted:

robin and byleth

I like to use "Time to tip the scales!" to start matches as Ridley

Notty
Jun 4, 2010
I was so happy when Lucina was revealed because while I enjoyed playing as Marth, I had no attachment to the character. So being able to play as a cool sword girl I knew and really liked instead of random sword guy was really exciting.

Though at this point, it would be nice if Lucina played more accurate to her character/mechanics rather than just aping Marth because of visual similarities.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

To be fair her character literally starts as “ I’m pretending to be Marth lol”.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Yeah I'm curious to know what staying true to her mechanics means in this sense, she's exactly the same class archetype as Marth and also literally pretends to be him

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

RareAcumen posted:

Also a big fan of Dragon Quest Heroes getting in. Erdrick's hazy reveal is the best part of that trailer for me, and if I had any idea how to make mp4s or videos I'd be doing that all the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pO8svM-ylwY&t=124s
The few streamers who knew about Hero and got mega hype make me happy. :3:

Supersonic Shine posted:

Ken

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Supersonic Shine posted:

Kirby and Megaman

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I was really excited when Young Link showed up in Melee, since I've always considered him the True Link.

Also, Ness's continual appearence as well as the general spreading of knowledge of Earthbound is great, as those games are brilliant.

Notty
Jun 4, 2010

multijoe posted:

Yeah I'm curious to know what staying true to her mechanics means in this sense, she's exactly the same class archetype as Marth and also literally pretends to be him

Marth is a fencer, he has a graceful, flowery ‘noble’ fighting style.

Lucina basically trained herself with a bastardized version of Chrom’s fighting style which is basically all power, all the time.

Setting that aside, Awakening features reclassing heavily as a mechanic and Lucina in various spinoffs has used Bows and Lances regularly, so just making her a Marth clone feels like a missed opportunity.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

I still can't loving believe Cloud is in two Smash Bros games

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)

Supersonic Shine posted:

Captain N crew finally being reunited. Zero, Tiki, Rathlos being AT's. Ridley and K.Rool finally getting in. Banjo Kazooie coming back home.
And of course, Terrance "El Matador de dioses" Bogard being playable.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Sonic the Hedgehog has been in the majority of Smash Bros titles now.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Honestly if you were starting from a clean slate marth should probably have his allies as his mechanic, seeing as he's the Lord who does the most recruiting and the least fighting in the series. Like his down b should be Zelda phantom but it's draug

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

He's been in as many games as he has songs!

God that still sucks.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

multijoe posted:

Closely followed by the Everyone is Here reveal the 2nd time
this to me is one of those ones I could watch reaction videos for hours of. it's always hilarious seeing people go "oh well that's good, this character got in, that character got in", and then there's the slow, creeping realization leading into the "OH MY GOD THEY REALLY DO MEAN EVERYONE!" that is so great every time :allears:

really one of my favorite trailers of all time, just so drat smart to play into the hype that way. the crescendo of the music, the way they rolled into the snake reveal followed by barreling through the rest of them, it was so brilliantly designed.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Captain Invictus posted:

this to me is one of those ones I could watch reaction videos for hours of. it's always hilarious seeing people go "oh well that's good, this character got in, that character got in", and then there's the slow, creeping realization leading into the "OH MY GOD THEY REALLY DO MEAN EVERYONE!" that is so great every time :allears:

really one of my favorite trailers of all time, just so drat smart to play into the hype that way. the crescendo of the music, the way they rolled into the snake reveal followed by barreling through the rest of them, it was so brilliantly designed.

Yeah. "Everyone is here" is my favorite Nintendo New York video. Individual streamers reactions to Banjo are top tier too

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014
the best character reveal trailer is Terry and it is not even close

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Mr. Maggy posted:

As a long time SNK fan, it was amazing. I just wish it wasn't leaked that an SNK character was coming before. Same with Castlevania.

K Rool's trailer was definitely the most hype newcomer trailer for me since it wasn't leaked at all and totally unexpected. He really felt like a dead character we'd never see again beyond trophies before that.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
There have been much better trailers since, but no trailer got me more hype than Mega Man.

rip King of Fighters Stadium, coronavirus shut it down

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Mr. Maggy posted:

it's K Rool and then the Banjo followup and it's not even close

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

I'm really happy that Ridley, Banjo & Kazooie and King K. Rool are in, but I had no idea that I wanted Terry in Smash. Now, he's one of my favorite characters to play, his arena is one of my favorite stages to play on, and his songs are among my favorites to listen to. I knew nothing about SNK before his reveal (I still really don't, Smash is the only fighting game I can play well), so his reveal really took me by surprise in an exciting way no one else really did.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A lot makes sense that KoF is apparently a major inspiration for Smash, Terry fits right in.

Knowing zilch about him, it's interesting that Terry seems to be a supernatural martial artist type like Ken and Ryu, but his outfit and attitude look more like someone out of Double Dragon or River City Ransom.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
I had little knowledge of Terry/SNK. Then Smash happened. Now Terry is my main and I'm waiting anxiously King of Fighters 15. I've slid back into the fighting game community. I've downloaded SFV and BlazBlue Cross Battle to scratch my traditional fighting game itch. It's like the fighting game obsessed teenager has crawled back out to the surface. Sakurai, you are a monster. I love you, please add Lara Croft to Smash.

Terry's reveal was great for SNK fans and nobody else, Not that this is a bad thing. Going back to someone's earlier point: hype streamer Smash reveals (bonus if they're genuinely surprised) are the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gBcFkyuD_U

No Irish Need Imply fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Mar 16, 2020

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
My history with Fatal Fury/Neo Geo games is that the local arcade from my childhood had a Street Fighter II machine that was always packed, but the MVS machine wasn't, so I was more familiar with SNK fighting games than Capcom as a result. So I was happy seeing SNK get some recognition in Smash.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A lot makes sense that KoF is apparently a major inspiration for Smash, Terry fits right in.

Knowing zilch about him, it's interesting that Terry seems to be a supernatural martial artist type like Ken and Ryu, but his outfit and attitude look more like someone out of Double Dragon or River City Ransom.

To lorechat a bit about Terry, he learned supernatural martial arts from Tung Fu Rue, but went another way with it, incorporating the ki type of attacks into a street brawler+pro wrestling style all his own.

All of this to say, Terry Bogard is a cool dude who I’m very happy to main even if I’m not the best at the fine mechanics.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
terry does a lot of cool moves imo

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Supersonic Shine posted:

Luigi, M!Robin, and Banjo & Kazooie.

To a lesser extent, all the FE characters since it reminds me that I can do an FE only 8P Smash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I was really excited when Young Link showed up in Melee, since I've always considered him the True Link.

I'm a Young Link main and I love that he's in the game to give us the classic Link moveset, though they hosed up by removing the Down Tilt spike and the Dair meteor. So stoked he's in, but then again, I'm so stoked everyone is in.