Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

coconono posted:

acceptable!
Good. I really want to know the secret identity of The Ghoul.

(Rick Rude, probably.)

EDIT: Wait, they DID resolve it?

https://twitter.com/WCWWorldwide/status/1157067019772137472

I always thought it was cliffhanger -> Starlight Foundation issue -> final issue that had nothing to do with The Black Stinger Saga.

davidbix fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Mar 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Randaconda posted:

Raven was so good in WCW, so of course they did jack poo poo with him.

This is a couple of pages ago, but I always loved Raven.

WCW was where I fell in love with the surly angry man who couldn't be arsed to wrestle and just sat down in the corner. It spoke to dissaffected suburban white boy me who also wore black T-Shirts with metal bands on them.

I also loved the dynamic between Raven and Kanyon in mid-late WCW. With Kanyon being the chirpy, bouncy best mate of the surly 'edgy' tough kid. It reminded me of the two dogs in that WB cartoon.

And also, I have always liked Raven outside the ring. I know he has his demons, and is at least a little problematic, but he is very smart, very sarcastic, and as far as I know, never raped or murdered anyone. Which for a wrestler of his era puts him ahead of the pack.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

BrigadierSensible posted:

This is a couple of pages ago, but I always loved Raven.

WCW was where I fell in love with the surly angry man who couldn't be arsed to wrestle and just sat down in the corner. It spoke to dissaffected suburban white boy me who also wore black T-Shirts with metal bands on them.

I also loved the dynamic between Raven and Kanyon in mid-late WCW. With Kanyon being the chirpy, bouncy best mate of the surly 'edgy' tough kid. It reminded me of the two dogs in that WB cartoon.

And also, I have always liked Raven outside the ring. I know he has his demons, and is at least a little problematic, but he is very smart, very sarcastic, and as far as I know, never raped or murdered anyone. Which for a wrestler of his era puts him ahead of the pack.

Raven is example #1 of why WWE wrestlers aren't cool. They always wear their loving t-shirt. What made Raven cool is he wore band t-shirts.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

MassRafTer posted:

Raven is example #1 of why WWE wrestlers aren't cool. They always wear their loving t-shirt. What made Raven cool is he wore band t-shirts.

dolph_ziggler_megadeath.jpg

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I'd argue WCW did way more with Raven than WWE did. He had the run with the flock, which made Kidman, Kanyon, and Saturn into viable midcard acts, culminating in one of WCW's only actual blowoff angles of the era, where Saturn beat Raven to disband the Flock at Fall Brawl '98. He was kinda' directionless after, tagging with Kanyon and Saturn after his Ferris Beuller vignettes, but in WWE I don't think he was ever even part of his own angle.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

WWF Raven was just one of a million Hardcore Goofs they cycled through plunder matches despite being very capable of character work

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

I'd argue WCW did way more with Raven than WWE did. He had the run with the flock, which made Kidman, Kanyon, and Saturn into viable midcard acts, culminating in one of WCW's only actual blowoff angles of the era, where Saturn beat Raven to disband the Flock at Fall Brawl '98. He was kinda' directionless after, tagging with Kanyon and Saturn after his Ferris Beuller vignettes, but in WWE I don't think he was ever even part of his own angle.

Even the little vignettes were both generally humorous and were a neat nod to his full career. Though until I read about it a couple days ago I'd completely wiped his bullshit with Vampiro before leaving to WWF out of my memory.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

WWE Raven gave us that awesome triple threat Hardcore match at Wrestlemania with Big Show and Kane.

But apart from that, I will agree that WCW did more with both the character, and the wrestler than WWE did.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I know it's a typical ripoff but I thought Raven's WCW theme was one of the best, most perfect themes I've ever heard for a wrestler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3vOV3Dr21E

You can just listen to this and you'll "get" Raven's character. That is the mark of a perfect theme song.

His WWE theme loving sucked.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkqbG5bKoEc&t=273s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=El5JuI9CsIo

A lot of these people, particularly Billy Gunn, are so mad.

I don't know much about some of these folks. This Bill Apter fellow at least gives Raven his due.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

the only thing i can remember about raven's wwe theme was that the titantron looked like two sock puppet birds

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

jesus WEP posted:

the only thing i can remember about raven's wwe theme was that the titantron looked like two sock puppet birds

Didn’t it also have the same guitar riff as like half the themes during the Attitude era?

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Was the story that Vince didn't like Raven because he once got Shane poo poo-faced (and laid with hookers?) during his Johnny Polo years ever confirmed? Otherwise I feel like they only got him again later because why not. He left WCW on bad terms and ECW was disintegrating, so it was a good situation for them.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Main thing I remember about WWE Raven was seeing him randomly pop up on like Smackdown occasionally and being surprised how fit he looked (maybe a year before he left).

This is in stark contrast to what ever the hell happened to him post departure.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Raven's thyroid got destroyed bc of all the steroids; that's why he gained so much weight

Same thing happened to Shane Douglas

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Mar 16, 2020

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I would argue that Raven's debut in the summer of 97 through losing to Goldberg in the spring of 98 was the best period of his career. He didn't wrestle much but his match with Benoit is one of the most satisfying rear end kickings ever and the 3 way with Benoit and DDP was my favorite 3 way for years.

Great promos, and some great angles with DDP and Benoit.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

SCOTT LEVY RUNS AS A CHARACTER, RANKED:

1. Scott Anthony
2. Scotty The Body
3. Johnny Polo
4. ECW Raven
5. WCW Raven
6. Scotty Flamingo
7. WWF Raven (when he'd just be himself)
8. WWF Raven (when he'd be gloomy Raven)

WCW Raven is the best in-ring run of his career and I'm not sure it's even close.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

davidbix posted:

SCOTT LEVY RUNS AS A CHARACTER, RANKED:

1. Scott Anthony
2. Scotty The Body
3. Johnny Polo
4. ECW Raven
5. WCW Raven
6. Scotty Flamingo
7. WWF Raven (when he'd just be himself)
8. WWF Raven (when he'd be gloomy Raven)

WCW Raven is the best in-ring run of his career and I'm not sure it's even close.

There was a brief period in TNA where he was having great matches with guys like Chris Harris.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

I'd argue WCW did way more with Raven than WWE did.

I dare to find the WWE stan who would argue otherwise.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I loved when he left WCW and returned to ECW:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFnzLgwy4kk&t=242s

That pop!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

MassRafTer posted:

There was a brief period in TNA where he was having great matches with guys like Chris Harris.

He got quite a bit of time in TNA, yeah. It wasn't always good, but they seemed to legit push him.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Raven had a real nice run with TNA but like it pretty much all ended by the time Impact started and is remembered for the super bad bad Jarrett match booking. And the stuff in the Impact/Spike era when he had kind of ran his story path and the health stuff started affecting him was... bad. But like if you were watching those weekly PPVs you saw some really fun Raven stuff and there was a reason people were hyped for him to win the world title.

Also D'Lo Brown had a fun run.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

TNA was so good during that post-FS1, Pre-Spike days right up to that moment they rehired Russo that I went full "it's just a little airborne! It's still good! It's still good!" for like eight years because I hated WWE so much.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I just want to know who put those sheep sheers in place of the proper barber razor for when Raven lost his hair match. Also why the gently caress they kept mutilating him even after realizing the things they were using to cut his hair was also scalping him.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Which if James Mitchell, Vampiro, Shane Douglas, and Raven did you expect to be the voice of reason?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

STAC Goat posted:

Raven had a real nice run with TNA but like it pretty much all ended by the time Impact started and is remembered for the super bad bad Jarrett match booking. And the stuff in the Impact/Spike era when he had kind of ran his story path and the health stuff started affecting him was... bad. But like if you were watching those weekly PPVs you saw some really fun Raven stuff and there was a reason people were hyped for him to win the world title.

Also D'Lo Brown had a fun run.

I thought D'Lo's run badly exposed him as being merely average. His matches felt so boring and WWE like which was not what I wanted to see in that era.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I wouldn't put D'Lo on any "best of" list. He was kind of sloppy and out of control and a little overweight. But like, I thought that was fun. A heavyweight who flies a bit and seems a little out of control but does more impact on moves smaller guys do. There's nothing I think needs to be sought out but I think it was just kind of fun to see him get a chance to let loose, do some stuff, and yeah, reveal a ceiling. And working a lot with AJ probably helped.

2003 was a different time with a whole lot less accessible wrestling. So I just think it was fun at the time unless you were seeking out harder to watch stuff. I definitely wouldn't argue D'Lo's case historically.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

MassRafTer posted:

That would require me remembering TNA things.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

davidbix posted:

That would require me remembering TNA things.

The only reason I remember it is Raven does commentary on that match on his DVD.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

I thought D'Lo's run badly exposed him as being merely average. His matches felt so boring and WWE like which was not what I wanted to see in that era.

when your claim to fame is "One of the best workers on the undercard in the Attitude Era" it turns out that's such a wildly low bar to clear that when you're in any other environment you look like a chump

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Alaois posted:

when your claim to fame is "One of the best workers on the undercard in the Attitude Era" it turns out that's such a wildly low bar to clear that when you're in any other environment you look like a chump

I was willing to give him a pass on TNA too because it was TNA but his ROH run was pretty dull too.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

This is so beautiful

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

MassRafTer posted:

I was willing to give him a pass on TNA too because it was TNA but his ROH run was pretty dull too.

he was still like the 3rd most over dude at 7th anniversary.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Who’s the guy next to Benoit? Pillman?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Alaois posted:

I thought his claim to fame was a tie between his chest piece and paralyzing Droz.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Nystral posted:

Who’s the guy next to Benoit? Pillman?

Yup, that was the 4 Horsemen lineup, Flair, Arn, Benoit and Pillman. And then Pillman had his "I respect you booker man" moment with Sullivan

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I thought his claim to fame was a tie between his chest piece and paralyzing Droz.

no he was held down by an oppressive regime

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Goddamnit, I knew I was forgetting something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

"Oh poo poo, he's actually going to punch me."

quote:

What an awesome Horsemen line-up this could have been. Shame it didn't last long. :(