Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Dramicus posted:

The Lagavulin 16 did look a little pricey, but I doubt I'll be buying it every day. I've gotta try it at least once, maybe alongside some Ardbeg which they seemed to have a lot of.

Suggest you try Talisker 10 if you like all the other stuff your mentioned. It's like a baby Ardbeg or Lagavulin, and much more affordable while still being quite underrated for it's (lack of) age. Would at least suggest giving it a shot

Edit: hmm actually it looks like the price has gone up quite a bit since I last bought a bottle. That sucks, it was an absolute steal at $35-$40

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Anecdotally, when I shared Lagavulin 16 with non-whisky drinking dinner guests, they were like “hmm, this is splendid.” When I gave them Laphroaig, they had daggers in their eyes instead.

Testro
May 2, 2009

Dramicus posted:

The Lagavulin 16 did look a little pricey, but I doubt I'll be buying it every day.
We've all been here. Problem is, it tastes so good and goes down so easily, you drink it far faster than your other bottles.

I've been drinking independent bottlings from Douglas Laing of late. Just had a fantastic Caol Ila, which I bought because I generally love Caol Ila, and a wonderful Craigellachie, which I bought because it was comparatively cheap. Was pleasantly surprised; will definitely go for more from that distillery.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I picked up a bottle of Redbreast 12, and McKenna BiB yesterday. Never had either before. The Redbreast was straight delicious, I enjoyed the McKenna too, but it wasn't on quite the same taste level.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

The McKenna BiB I have found to have a lot more variance between "ok" and "great" than any other single barrel whiskies I've had. It was a good value at $30 (being BiB, 10-years old, and single barrel) but it won some awards and now is scarcer and more expensive.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I'm interested in exploring single malt Scotch. I've always loved Old Fashioneds, but am new to scotch. I picked up Glenlivet 12 today, eager to try it tonight.

How do y'all usually drink scotch? Neat? With a splash of carbonated water? On the rocks?

Do y'all ever cocktail it up with your better scotch's?

I think I want to keep some ingredients on hand so that I can make cocktails for guests who don't want to just sip straight scotch.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I'm interested in exploring single malt Scotch. I've always loved Old Fashioneds, but am new to scotch. I picked up Glenlivet 12 today, eager to try it tonight.

How do y'all usually drink scotch? Neat? With a splash of carbonated water? On the rocks?

I think I want to keep some ingredients on hand so that I can make cocktails for guests who don't want to just sip straight scotch.

you're going to find a WIDE range of opinions on this, which I why I'm just going to go ahead and say it's a decision of personal taste.

in general an absolute baseline experience would be neat and room temp, which is what I default to if I haven't had whatever it is already, but some of the earthier (islay/lowlands) scotches I tend to prefer neat whereas highlands products suit me much better with a single cube of ice.

The glenlivet 12 is a solid choice, can't really go wrong with it as a baseline, just make sure you explore the peatier/earthier options from other distilleries.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I have a single cube of ice with everything. It just seems to bring out flavours a lot more to my palette and just be a much more pleasant experience. But I think it’s purely personal preference. Nothing worse when some dork at a tasting or something tells everyone they’re doing it wrong.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
in general, if you have someone over with the temerity to request you mix single malt with anything, just save yourself the trouble and :sever: immediately

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Glenlivet 12 is innocuous, verging on good. It’s not a bottle I keep around, but Glenlivet 18 is. <— One of the best values in a single malt with that age statement.

The vast majority of the time, I drink whisky from a nosing glass like a Glencairn or a brandy snifter neat or with a few drops of water. It depends on the whiskey...always try it neat first, then add water and note the differences. Rarely on he rocks...that”s what a very light bourbon like Basil Hayden’s or Irish whiskey like Jameson is for. Sometimes I will experiment with cocktails or even experiment with blending two single malts together in a glass.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

I drink all my scotch neat, no water added, and most of my rye and bourbon too. I'll occasionally make one of a half dozen or so cocktails with bourbon or rye.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

HiroProtagonist posted:

in general, if you have someone over with the temerity to request you mix single malt with anything, just save yourself the trouble and :sever: immediately

Mixing single malts is more than just a waste of money and good scotch, it also doesn't come out well. Single malts have strong, complex, distinct flavors. That's not what you want as a base for a mixed drink.
I always have one or two blended scotches on hand for mixing purposes.

Testro
May 2, 2009
I used to drink only neat, but I've been drinking more and more cask strength which requires some water.

TobinHatesYou's advice is solid - sip it neat, add a little water if required, then see how you go from there. Adding ice tends to dull the flavours of the scotch, whereas water tends to open them out a little - but as has been said, if you find a way of drinking it that you find enjoyable, then that's what you should do.

As for cocktails, I only ever make those with cheap whisky - but I usually end up making something with rum instead. In my opinion, good single malt scotch is made for sipping, and I would think it a waste of money to drown it with other flavours - but again, if that's what you want to do so that everyone can experience the same base alcohol, then go for it.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Stultus Maximus posted:

Mixing single malts is more than just a waste of money and good scotch, it also doesn't come out well. Single malts have strong, complex, distinct flavors. That's not what you want as a base for a mixed drink.
I always have one or two blended scotches on hand for mixing purposes.

Mixing blended whiskeys, even scotches, is fine and even encouraged but yeah do not mix single malt because it's the whiskey equivalent of lighting a fifty dollar bill on fire to light your cigar with

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I've had some single malt cocktails that played on the specific aromas and flavor of the single malt used.
One that comes to mind was lagavulin 16, fever tree cola and some maraschino cherry syrup. Quite excellent.

Most cocktails aren't made like that though, and you're better off using a blend.

That being said, I am of firm belief that anyone should have their whisk(e)y any way they drat well please so you do you.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Re: water. Usually I take whisky neat. Sometimes a few drops of water (use a neutral tasting spring water if your tap water has chlorine or other bad tastes).
Sometimes I'll add a bit more to high proof stuff to cut it down a bit since alcohol does numb your tongue.

Ice cools the whisky down obviously which reduces the aromas released. It also waters down the whisky as it melts. So in all it makes a whisky taste less strongly.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
A single-malt usually shouldn't be the base of a cocktail, but they can make great modifiers. A Penicillin, for instance, has a blended scotch base but calls for a quarter-ounce float of Islay single-malt. Laphroaig 10 works well, so no need to reach for your fanciest bottle, but that quarter-ounce transforms the drink.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Single malts do not inherently imply complexity or strong flavors. I'd argue that most 10-12yr speysides mix just fine as long as you're okay with the extra money you're paying to buy single malts

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
It's true that usually you shouldn't mix a single malt, but occasionally they're great. I think Highland Park 12 makes an excellent Rob Roy or Bobby Burns.

Otherwise, yeah, good scotches neat, cheap blends on a big rock or Japanese highball style (1:2 scotch to carbonated water, ice, lemon twist).

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Enigma posted:

Just got the New Riff Rye BiB and drat this is good. It's 100% rye, too.

I wonder what Faustian bargain they struck up to be this good at whiskey so quickly.

New Riff guys are a great example of giving a gently caress about your product. A lot of bourbons are all bark and no bite, they just want to cash in on the bourbon craze and make medicore whiskey (or age mgp) because of it. I really love their whiskey and I really hope they dont turn into so many other distillers who get a bit of name and then focus on churning out as much as they can as fast they can. Become like Buffallo Trace and not like Beam Suntory.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

gwrtheyrn posted:

Single malts do not inherently imply complexity or strong flavors. I'd argue that most 10-12yr speysides mix just fine as long as you're okay with the extra money you're paying to buy single malts

Toast Museum said it best. You accent a cocktail with an Islay to give it a hint of wood and smoke.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Toast Museum posted:

A single-malt usually shouldn't be the base of a cocktail, but they can make great modifiers. A Penicillin, for instance, has a blended scotch base but calls for a quarter-ounce float of Islay single-malt. Laphroaig 10 works well, so no need to reach for your fanciest bottle, but that quarter-ounce transforms the drink.

TobinHatesYou posted:

Toast Museum said it best. You accent a cocktail with an Islay to give it a hint of wood and smoke.

:cheers: cosigned

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Bowmore 12 makes a great Rusty Nail. I mean the cocktail itself is low effort (whisky + drambuie) and probably 95% whisky, but Bowmore 12 is good in one of those.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
I would like to remind everyone that not all single malts are islays

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Why not

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
because some people are boring

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Man I just had some slices of smoked ham and cheese alongside my Laphroaig Quarter Cask and I'm in heaven.

Edit: I'm blown away every time I try this Laphroaig, I just ordered some Laphroaig select and Ardbeg 10. I'll get to every Islay and related suggestion eventually. My next purchase after this will likely be the Talisker 10 and maybe the Lagavulin 16. Thanks to everyone offering suggestions by the way.

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Mar 18, 2020

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Dramicus posted:

Man I just had some slices of smoked ham and cheese alongside my Laphroaig Quarter Cask and I'm in heaven.

Edit: I'm blown away every time I try this Laphroaig, I just ordered some Laphroaig select and Ardbeg 10. I'll get to every Islay and related suggestion eventually. My next purchase after this will likely be the Talisker 10 and maybe the Lagavulin 16. Thanks to everyone offering suggestions by the way.

Longrow 18

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

For St. Patrick's Day last night, I decided to open one of the two bottles of Teeling I picked up at Dublin airport almost two years ago:

Decided go to with the Collinstown this time. It is a very light, fruity whiskey.

Needs a bit of water, since I tasted some spiciness, but I did end up tasting light citrus, melon, apricot, light non-berry fruit like that. You can really taste the sweet white Loupiac wine finish it lists on the label.

Such a 180 from any Islay malt I've had lately that I feel like my whisky-appreciating tastebuds have whiplash. Definitely a palate-cleanser, in a good way.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Dramicus posted:

If you're enjoying Laphroaig I would definitely recommend Talisker 10 over Lagavulin 16. Lagavulin 16 is in many ways a "babby's first peat" sort of dram. Still good, but not terribly interesting if you're looking to dig into what Islay has to offer.

Lagavulin 12 is incredible, though.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Vox Nihili posted:

If you're enjoying Laphroaig I would definitely recommend Talisker 10 over Lagavulin 16. Lagavulin 16 is in many ways a "babby's first peat" sort of dram. Still good, but not terribly interesting if you're looking to dig into what Islay has to offer.

Lagavulin 12 is incredible, though.

What?! This is crazy talk.

Lagavulin 16 is incredibly complex, much moreso than any Laphroaig...and I say that was someone who reaches for Laphroaig QC more often than Lagavulin. Lagavulin 12 is ok...it follows the Laphroaig model of sweet & peat and not much else.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Laga 16 is good but I've not felt the need to buy a bottle when Ardbeg Uigeadail exists and is less expensive.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

TobinHatesYou posted:

Lagavulin 16 is incredibly complex, much moreso than any Laphroaig...

It's a nice, balanced, moderately-peated Islay that lets the underlying malt shine through. It's also a crowd-pleaser that won't offend people in the same way the huge Islays tend to. I'm not sure I really buy that's it's especially complex, particularly compared against a Laphroaig Cairdeas release or similar. To my palate it's frankly a bit watered down, but everyone tastes things a bit differently. My bottle has also been open awhile FWIW.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
I gotta say gentleman jack is kinda addictive, it’s like drinking a peppered pear.

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen

Enigma posted:

Laga 16 is good but I've not felt the need to buy a bottle when Ardbeg Uigeadail exists and is less expensive.

That‘s interesting because the Lagavulin 16 is slightly cheaper than the Uigeadail here (55€ vs 60€). But thanks for confirming this way that I should give the Uigaedail a shot!

Wish more people here would give some actual prices.

Lagavulin 16 literally was my babby‘s first whisky but saying it is not complex isn‘t really fair.

I hear really great things about the Lagavulin Distiller‘s edition 2003/2019, gotta get my hands on one sometime.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Vox Nihili posted:

It's a nice, balanced, moderately-peated Islay that lets the underlying malt shine through. It's also a crowd-pleaser that won't offend people in the same way the huge Islays tend to. I'm not sure I really buy that's it's especially complex, particularly compared against a Laphroaig Cairdeas release or similar. To my palate it's frankly a bit watered down, but everyone tastes things a bit differently. My bottle has also been open awhile FWIW.

I've tasted every release of Cairdeas for like the last 12 years. There's no complexity in 'em. It's vanilla/sugar from the ex-bourbon casks, given a surface-deep kick of a wine finish or whatever to mask youth of the whisky. Complexity != bold flavors. Lagavulin 16 is pretty textbook in terms of complexity. It is mostly ex-bourbon, but it has dark fruit, spice, after being married to a minority of sherry aged whisky in the vatting process. It's not watered down...it's smooth, there is a difference.

Neco posted:

That‘s interesting because the Lagavulin 16 is slightly cheaper than the Uigeadail here (55€ vs 60€). But thanks for confirming this way that I should give the Uigaedail a shot!

Lagavulin 16 literally was my babby‘s first whisky but saying it is not complex isn‘t really fair.

I hear really great things about the Lagavulin Distiller‘s edition 2003/2019, gotta get my hands on one sometime.

Distiller's Editions are pretty much Diageo's way of taking barrels that didn't quite make the cut (Lag 16, Oban 14, etc.,) transferring the juice into a wine cask for one additional year to mask the imperfections, and selling it at a premium. I'm not particularly fond of the Lagavulin DE, but the Caol Ila and Talisker DEs are tasty/transformed.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Mar 19, 2020

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Neco posted:

Yes definitely give Uigeadail a shot. It's my favorite whisky.

I don't know if it's marketing or supply or something else, but Laga 16 is $110 USD vs. $90 for Uigeadail (and something like Laph 10 or Ardbeg 10 is ~$55).

asciidic
Aug 19, 2005

lord of the valves

Enigma posted:

Yes definitely give Uigeadail a shot. It's my favorite whisky.

Ditto

Lagavulin 16 is good and I thoroughly enjoy it every time I have a pour, but for some reason it rarely comes to mind when I'm wanting a drink. I've had the same bottle on my shelf since September. Maybe it's a little too polished to be exciting to me.

With Lagavulin DE I get a prominent pepper note that I kind of like.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

TobinHatesYou posted:

I've tasted every release of Cairdeas for like the last 12 years. There's no complexity in 'em. It's vanilla/sugar from the ex-bourbon casks, given a surface-deep kick of a wine finish or whatever to mask youth of the whisky. Complexity != bold flavors. Lagavulin 16 is pretty textbook in terms of complexity. It is mostly ex-bourbon, but it has dark fruit, spice, after being married to a minority of sherry aged whisky in the vatting process. It's not watered down...it's smooth, there is a difference.

It is pretty much the poster child of "smooth," yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I work in an interior design showroom and we're cleaning out some filing cabinets and found a 40 year old bottle of Canada Club.

I've always wanted to drink a spirit older than myself, but I didn't mean like this.