Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I played Hearthstone and Eternal muted, but I keep Runeterra unmuted for that reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

misguided rage posted:

God drat I wish it made it more obvious that your turn was about to time out while you were doing things. I've lost like half a dozen expedition games now because I've been trying to work out a complicated block/attack and while I was moving blockers and spells around I failed to notice that the tiny ui element on the far side of the screen was turning red.

You're the one taking the whole timer to decide whether to attack with your turn 1 Teemo aren't you?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Started playing this recently, coming from Magic the timing of everything feels off like them being able to attack but me not cast anything first. I keep trying to recall units in response to things but it never goes through in time as well.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

do you automatically get champion wildcards if you have a full set?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Are there literally any answers to shark chariot apart from that one card in demacia that nobody ever plays and you seemingly never get offered in draft? Getting a bit sick of the perfect ephemeral speedrun of +1/+1 guy, prankster, 3/4 shark chariots, hecarim :v:

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Do not play draft if you want any kind of balance

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Sadly no, Shadow Isles is still insanely strong. Especially after they nerfed Ionia. The only other strong region.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

piL posted:

You're the one taking the whole timer to decide whether to attack with your turn 1 Teemo aren't you?

I worry that he's gonna get tired!

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Does anyone else find the trade ui counterintuitive? I feel like the arrows to swap a card should always do that and the cancel button should be the one that changes to "confirm".

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

Pilchenstein posted:

Are there literally any answers to shark chariot apart from that one card in demacia that nobody ever plays and you seemingly never get offered in draft? Getting a bit sick of the perfect ephemeral speedrun of +1/+1 guy, prankster, 3/4 shark chariots, hecarim :v:

Well the general answer to shark chariots and soul shepherds is to just beat them before they kill you, because they have terrible board presence. If you don't have a good enough board to do that, and you don't have control options for stopping their damage, and you don't have removal for their pranksters, then the issue is probably your deck rather than theirs. There are good reasons that shepherds and shark chariots don't make the cut in the meta decks with ephemerals.

SI is still almost certainly the strongest region in general though for sure. Although I actually think Demacia is maybe the sleeper OP region. Zombie Garen is absolutely wrecking in high EU masters, and while people are pairing it with SI purely for rekindlers, that part of the deck isn't that integral to what's making it win games.

hit button fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Mar 14, 2020

DrOgreface
Jun 22, 2013

His Evil Never Sleeps

Pilchenstein posted:

Does anyone else find the trade ui counterintuitive? I feel like the arrows to swap a card should always do that and the cancel button should be the one that changes to "confirm".

I have played four runs of expedition and screwed this up at least once a run. Yeah I’ll take that trade... no, I want to switch back actually, oops I just confirmed it.

Also, if you’re decent at expeditions, do you get at least one trial to 6 or 7 almost every run? I’ve done 7, 3, 6, and 7 on my runs so far. I only do the one free one every week, maybe I should do a second one... but maybe I just got lucky and I’ll be throwing away 3k shards that could be any champion for a little xp and Kalista.

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

RNG in buckets and opponents and draws means even the best players strike out on expeditions. I still think its worthwhile doing all 3 every week personally (and maybe a few open plays after that to help practice for the ones that matter). Whether its worth spending the gems kind of depends if you want a wide collection, or you're only interested in crafting a small set of decks. And also on whether you enjoy the format.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I really enjoyed expeditions a few times a week for the first month but then totally lost interest. Demacia pile and almost mono ionia elusive seems so much stronger than everything and I got kind of bored of it.

I've done a few runs since trying to do other things but I havent had good luck outside of nuts SI decks.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Jesus Christ I can't deal with people who play at a snail's pace. We're at a poo poo rank and all, it's hardly high IQ plays. But I'm coming across opponents 3 times out of 5 that'll spend ages each turn to do gently caress all.

The timer needs to speed up every time you bring it low and not reset to the normal speed.

Edit: just gone into another match, jinxed it. Same exact situation. This is the 3rd game in a row.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Shout out to all the big brain control players thinking real hard about the best way to play mystic shot and float mana until turn 5.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

The guy I just went up against kept waiting til the last minute to drop absolute bombshell 1-mana things like a 2/1 fearsome spider and the spell that summons 2 spiderlings.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Qubee posted:

The timer needs to speed up every time you bring it low and not reset to the normal speed.
It does speed up doesn't it?

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

You only get a shorter timer if you ran the timer out on your last action. It would be better if the timer varied based on previous turns. Something like starting at 60s, then adding the remaining time +20s to your next turn timer up to some reasonable maximum like 90s. Maybe those numbers are terrible idk what the current timers are set to.

Anyway I feel like I might be one of the people Qubee is complaining about. Sometimes decisions are simple, but sometimes considering the possibilities of the opponent's hand can get pretty complicated and I find it good to take a moment to think about what you might be missing, or how the next couple of turns are likely to play out.

Apparently some people like to intentionally gently caress with other people by deliberately almost running the timer out on all their turns. Personally I've played this game an absolute ton in EU and never run into someone doing this, but I know it does happen from watching streamers.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Oh absolutely, aside from emoji spam (which can be blocked) letting the timer run out constantly is the only way people have to grief their opponent so obviously there's people who do it. I just alt tab until I hear them play something usually :v:

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I just do the tried and true method of slow rolling all my plays too. We can both waste time motherfucker.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Magic Online used a chess timer sort of system, and you'd just lose if you zero'ed out. It was sort of interesting because it made timer management a sort of skill that was unique to the digital game, but it led to weird situations where people took actions that passed priority specifically to try to run the other player out of time. Honestly I thought that was a neat emergent thing, but MTGO was supposed to be a 1:1 representation of the paper version, so it was sort of unpopular, and it didn't get transferred into Arena (I'm pretty sure, anyway)

Honestly, though, I don't understand why more online games don't do a poker-like time bank, where every decision gives you a small amount of time to act, then you dip into a time bank that isn't replenished. Run out of time in your bank? Lol you're spending 6 seconds (or whatever) per decision for the rest of the game, good luck.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I don't think I've ever been intentionally roped after turn 1 but I also probably play this game really slowly by a lot of peoples' standards.

The patch notes for Tuesday should come out today. The issue is that the meta is kind of balanced, and the most egregious cards (rekindler and mark of the isles) are good against control decks which I don't want to see any stronger. Outside of some kind of adjustment to rekindler, which is used in both midrange and control, I don't know what changes would make the game better.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
I think Elnuks and Hecarim should get some tweaks. Maybe Glimpse Beyond, too.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Oh yeah Elnuks. Thats a slam dunk, forgot about it.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
They could definitely buff/rework Kalista too

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

frenzied skitterer may also receive a nerf

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

patch notes

https://playruneterra.com/en-us/news/patch-0-9-2-notes/

elnuks are elfukt

d0grent fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Mar 16, 2020

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Flash of brilliance got destroyed

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Did it? It still does the broken thing with Heimer, but it's certainly weaker. I think it'll be really dependent on what colors you're running. There are 6 or fewer cards per faction with cost 6+, which makes the spell very weirdly consistent now (noxus has a single 6+ mana card!). Demacia's seem the best, I'll certainly try it out in Heimer Lux.

The patch is enormous, by the way, link to riot's version is here: https://playruneterra.com/en-us/news/patch-0-9-2-notes/

The SI nerfs seem massive, and as an SI hater I would say even too far. I guess they really wanted to shake the meta up this time. Black Spear is stone unplayable at 3 but it makes a lot of other cards more appealing.

My favorite news of the patch (outside of Elnuks dying) is poro snax to 3. That's a substantial buff to poros.

But my gut reaction is that everything else got hit harder than SI Karma did, which is the outcome I wanted to avoid.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Mar 16, 2020

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
My finally constructed Hecarim Zed ephemeral deck weeps, these are some pretty savage hits, oof.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I thought the hecarim nerf was reasonable until I saw the rider change and I laughed out loud.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I'm really not used to such massive changes in my digital-onlyTCGs coming from Magic and HS. I lile that they are willing to completely redesign already existing chards fron the get go.

I need to digest all of that but they seem decent changes overall, even if it wrecks some of my most played decks. Fully leveled Hecarim seems hilarious though.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Overall I think the patch looks pretty good for the health of the game, but we’ll have to see it in action I guess

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I don't think this actually ruins Hecarim/Zed ephemerals because that's one of the few decks (the only deck?) that's meta that actually levels Hecarim up. Or at least, leveling him is one of your (many) win-cons with that deck.

I don't think they should have hit Conspirator, and I'm not even playing elusives anymore. Overall that's the only nerf I don't agree with.

Curious to see how Kalista does with an actual stat line.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Mageseeker persuader and inciter might actually see play at least, pretty sure they were actually the worst cards in the game and needed 2 cards traded to kill them just to break even, Vanguard lookout has the elite tag it always felt like it was missing but it probably still doesn't warrant a slot in any deck because it can't touch fearsome units or kill most quick attackers without extra cards to buff it, the 3 mana 2/5's are a better anti aggro statline but still don't see play, if it was a 3 mana 3/4 statline it would trade well with most of the troublesome early cards.

Hecarim will stop being added to every single deck just because he is one of the best 6 drops in the entire game with backbreaking damage potential now that more 5 damage cards can trade into him and his riders are less deadly

Kalista is worth including in aggro decks I feel because she will be hard to remove with the bonded effect probably.

Spear and mark got much needed nerfs, though the spear requirement for a ally to die can be finicky compared to PZ's 3 damage removal just needing a discard.

Whump losing a point of health will make it much less sticky on the board and less of a auto include.

Iceborn legacy being turned slow kinda sucks for it, I was just starting to treat it like a radiant strike that for 2 mana more was permanent and could hit multiple targets.

Pack mentality will be less of a extremely niche finisher and be absolutely crushing if it's gained from getting a random 6+ cost spell, it's For Demacia but trades slightly less board trading power for just straight up ending the game with overwhelm damage.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Mar 16, 2020

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Dumb question: Kalista needs to be on the board for her level-up clause to "see 4 allies die" to trigger, right?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Angry Lobster posted:

Dumb question: Kalista needs to be on the board for her level-up clause to "see 4 allies die" to trigger, right?

"I've seen" on the levelup text usually means they have to be on the board instead of just having stuff happen before being played.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

"I've seen" on the levelup text usually means they have to be on the board instead of just having stuff happen before being played.

Ok, I was not sure about this one, thank you.

Edit: nvm

Angry Lobster fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Mar 16, 2020

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Yeah "I've seen" means they have to be on the board and their counter can be reset by returning them to hand plus doesn't carry over if you kill one and another is played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

haunted relic may end up being really good with kalista