Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

FoolyCharged posted:

Noted game that runs, renegade.

Modern systems were not kind to that one.

runs at 1440p just fine on my windows 10 machine :shrug:

Sir DonkeyPunch fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Mar 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Renegade makes me very happy but if standing inside a tiberium refinery looking at a health bar tied to a small computer terminal on the wall somewhere isn't filling you with joy and spiritual fulfillment it might not be for you.

On the other hand the default noise for when you kill someone in multiplayer in Renegade had to be heard to be believed. Can't find it on youtube :(

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

reignofevil posted:

So theoretically we are still within the bounds of what the GLA can actually do in the actual game. They have a unit known as the bomb truck and its gimmick is that it can disguise as other vehicles. There is just one problem with this, you'd have to be an idiot for this trick to work on you in an actual game of multiplayer. Or hell even single player not that I can remember the AI ever actually trying to do it. Basically you could choose what the bomb truck would disguise as and the thinking is that you make it look like an enemy vehicle and sneak it past their lines and then explode the unit at a crucial time. You can even spend money to make the bomb truck blow up more or blow up with radioactive waste or both! There is just one problem, obviously if you are playing a game of command and conquer you are at least somewhat aware that any unit you can't directly give orders to is probably an enemy. To make matters worse base defenses automatically revealed the bomb truck for what it was when it got in range.

So how the hell were you supposed to sneak these loving things anywhere? What was the loving point? You know what didn't cost 1800 dollars and then die when you actually used it? Scorpion tanks. Those bad boys were like six hundred slave-dollars a pop which means you could have three kickass light tanks running around shooting radioactive shells and lobbing missiles at anything you didn't like for the cost of one ineffective gimmick weapon.

You disguised it as one of your own scorpion tanks and used it in tank fights. Not a great option cuz they're still expensive, but at least people didn't think it was that weird when they couldn't control it. Or you disguised it as a drone and hoped your opponent doesn't even parse it.

Really though suicide bombers on bikes was better.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Yeah they were! But that can wait till zero hour

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

What was the multiplayer c&c deathmatch game where everybody plays as a single unit?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Spazzle posted:

What was the multiplayer c&c deathmatch game where everybody plays as a single unit?

renegade. It also had an amazingly dumb single player campaign that was a blast.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I remember what you are talking about but can’t remember the name. It wasn’t Renegade; this game used C&C1 graphics, everyone controlled a single unit, and the idea was to avoid everyone else while picking up upgrade crates until you could poo poo out 5 tank rounds a second while driving 200mph with 3 battleships worth of armor.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

It was called Sole Survivor, and has basically never been seen again. I only know of it from other people talking about it.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Spazzle posted:

Sole Survivor.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

goatsestretchgoals posted:

I remember what you are talking about but can’t remember the name. It wasn’t Renegade; this game used C&C1 graphics, everyone controlled a single unit, and the idea was to avoid everyone else while picking up upgrade crates until you could poo poo out 5 tank rounds a second while driving 200mph with 3 battleships worth of armor.

Wow, the memories just came flooding back. This thread is a hell of a nostalgia trip.

Although apparently I never played RA3. Not sure why.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Is this the best source for the games? https://www.origin.com/usa/en-us/store/command-and-conquer/command-and-conquer-the-ultimate-collection

I had RA as a kid and although it ran like poo poo on our 486, I loved it. Would like to try RA2 too.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'd hold off, there's a remaster of C&C/RA1 on the way and those games will really benefit from a UI update, beyond the better graphics and modern computer compatibility.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

I'd hold off, there's a remaster of C&C/RA1 on the way and those games will really benefit from a UI update, beyond the better graphics and modern computer compatibility.

I mean, that's a full collection with TibSun, RA2, etc.

OpenRA I believe is also an option for C&C & Red Alert if you can't wait for the remaster. I think you might not get cutscenes and some stuff if you don't have a CD/original game files around though.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
At one point EA made the ENTIRE contents of cnc The First Decade (cnc1, RA, RA2, Yuri's revenge, tiberian sun, renegade, generals, zero hour) public domain and free to download somehow I doubt EA even remembers doing that but please look into that if looking to scratch the CNC itch and see if you can find it.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I can find no evidence of this happening on google but I swear I remember it happened

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

I mean, that's a full collection with TibSun, RA2, etc.

OpenRA I believe is also an option for C&C & Red Alert if you can't wait for the remaster. I think you might not get cutscenes and some stuff if you don't have a CD/original game files around though.

OpenRA just didn't feel right when I tried it... I don't know if they implemented different AI or something, but it seemed off.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

reignofevil posted:

I can find no evidence of this happening on google but I swear I remember it happened

I think openRA was founded on it; I just installed it and it made some mention about a "freeware" version of TibDawn/RA1.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

reignofevil posted:

It did, I still have the isos I downloaded when they did it.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Grand Fromage posted:

It did, I still have the isos I downloaded when they did it.

I only have the Tiberian Sun rar for some reason, though i do have the 17 game pack. I seem to recall that going on deep discount at some point and that's when i bought it

w0o0o0o
Aug 26, 2007
bloop.

reignofevil posted:

At one point EA made the ENTIRE contents of cnc The First Decade (cnc1, RA, RA2, Yuri's revenge, tiberian sun, renegade, generals, zero hour) public domain and free to download somehow I doubt EA even remembers doing that but please look into that if looking to scratch the CNC itch and see if you can find it.

Thank you for this thread!

I had a nostalgic itch last year and grabbed the freeware copies of C&C and RA. It wasn't from this website (I don't remember what that was) but this site has the single-player gamefiles for a bunch of the free older Westwood releases up to Tiberian Sun available for download:
https://cncnet.org/command-and-conquer

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

I can still very clearly hear voice lines from these games in my head.

"Shake it baby"
"Let's rock"

" Acknowledged"
" Here come the sun"
"Rubber boots in motion"

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I've got a present for ya!

*Nintendo logo blows up*

That was left handed!

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

reignofevil posted:

I've got a present for ya!

*Nintendo logo blows up*

That was left handed!

Nintendo logo blows up after that was left handed
:goonsay:

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

Philman posted:

I can still very clearly hear voice lines from these games in my head.

"Shake it baby"
"Let's rock"

" Acknowledged"
" Here come the sun"
"Rubber boots in motion"

"must hurry, for yuri" is my favourite

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
More command and conquer happening today, got a surprise day off from work! I didn't have to be Einstein to figure out what I wanted to do with my free time!

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

reignofevil posted:

More command and conquer happening today, got a surprise day off from work! I didn't have to be Einstein to figure out what I wanted to do with my free time!

please do not drink heavily and invent war crime machines

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

reignofevil posted:

Suddenly a mystery truck is driving through the chaos! If not for everyone getting shot and dying this would probably be really notable but unfortunately it goes undetected until far too late.

"Victory in death!" <- Some dead guy

So where did we leave off

Oh right. Everyone was dead.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

China isn't going to be deterred though. They are actually super duper pissed. They have a base nearby full of soldiers and dragon-tanks. Basically it's a flametank but designed to be a huge rear end in a top hat in every way. Most of China's weapons in this game would be a warcrime and a half if you actually designed them.

So what can the flametanks actually do besides shoot fire? They shoot a ton of fire. Just a ton. They have a special ability that lets them fire their flame cannon in a super wide arc which indiscriminately destroys anything in front of them. The downside to this is they are staying completely still and I've never seen it actually come up in a human versus human battle and the AI never uses it so other than looking cool it's essentially worthless. It's not like the game ever presents you with a narrow chokepoint or anything where you might genuinely get some use out of these things and even if they did it would be pretty unlikely that they wouldn't be driving some tanks through which don't really take much damage from this technique. I guess hypothetically if you knew for a fact that one of the enemy commandos (who are all stealthed in Generals and must be detected by base defenses or radar vans or whathaveyou) was standing in a fixed area and you wanted an easy one click button to just blanket the land with flame this could be useful. Later down the line when we discuss the GLA in greater detail we'll talk about how they have basically the same unit but more vulnerable known as the toxin tractor.

Also this unit automatically clears out garrisoned civilian buildings which usually isn't important but sometimes the maps have military bunkers you can put soldiers in and those are a bitch and a half to destroy with tanks so these are occasionally useful to have.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
So the GLA does what the GLA does best, drives suicide bombers in civilian cars impotently at some empty bunkers in the front of that base there.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

The GLA is trying to fight with some technicals, basically a truck with a machine gun loaded on the back. These are one of my favorite units because I severely underestimated them when I first started playing and then later down the line my strategy as the GLA became entirely centered around them.

Technicals can hold up to five infantry and they move fast. You can zoom all over the map with them and get places the enemy wouldn't really expect you to be if you know you wanna use them and you put up an arms dealer (basically a GLA war factory that produces their vehicles) as fast as you can. The big reason these are awesome is because the GLA's building producer (as well as their money gatherer) is the Worker, an infantry unit! With just one of these guys loaded into a technical you can be building all over the map at your leisure and technicals are pretty good at killing infantry so your average early game confrontation you can probably keep them pretty safe.

How this comes into play as a strategy is when you discover the mysteries of the GLA tunnel network, which we will be discussing shortly I'm sure.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

And here is one of those tunnels right now! (highlighted in red) Tunnel networks are kinda interesting just to build because they automatically spawn two RPG troopers whenever you put one down, the AI gets no such benefit for this first china mission however.

To the south circled with the gold are some chinese battlemaster tanks. They get a bonus in combat if you have more than five of them in close proximity which is designated by a little chinese star under their treads iirc. Other than that they are pretty much bog standard tanks that can occasionally be loaded down with depleted uranium shells making them more effective against infantry.

So what's so cool about the tunnel networks? The GLA can instantly transport ten or so troops, tanks, whatever through them. Anywhere on the map. If the GLA plops one of these down at home and one on the opposite end of the map those spots are connected by what is essentially an instant teleporter limited only by how fast you can order people into it and mash the "evacuate all" button on the other end. Also any soldier or vehicle inside is instantly healed to full health which honestly is probably bullshit but how could I even care it's just too fun.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
So china burns a significant amount of GLA soldiers and push over the bridge to the enemy base where they burn more stuff. China is real real pissed about the whole "blowing up all of Beijing" thing.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
It turns out this whole plan on the GLA's part was kinda poo poo. For some reason after pulling off the most awesome suicide attack in history the decision was made that the GLA should also have tons of fixed assets right near where the chinese army was sure to retaliate, and in fact given that they were just having a parade and not really in any kind of big pearl harbor style target where you could decapitate them with one strike the chinese army still totally has their airforce to call in and even some loving overlord tanks futzing around ready to kick some rear end. We'll talk more about overlord tanks later methinks since I doubt they're gonna be a huge deal in this particular fight.

Pictured above, some chinese MiGs (I'm never going to capitalize this properly again). Also some very unlucky GLA soldiers.

Man the chinese love fire in this. The gimmick to the migs is that if you drop enough fire on one single area it creates a gigantic fire-storm which does area of effect damage on anything driving through. Kills buildings pretty well and you can even upgrade it with spooky black napalm that burns a different color and does more damage just like your edgelord heart desires deep down in the part of you that's still totally a goth even though you aren't 15 anymore.

reignofevil fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Mar 27, 2020

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

So the chinese forces push forward to the very helpfully labeled nuclear bunker. What kind of mysteries could possibly take place within these atomic chambers? Who knows! But Generals and Zero Hour are absolutely lousy with these things. Anywhere you see the GLA just hanging out you tend to find some kinda nuclear bunker or toxins bunker or all kindsa nasty stuff! Basically if you blow these up a bit of radiation leaks out and then like all radiation everywhere it just goes away harmlessly and nothing bad ever happens there again.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

The Chinese army bravely fires upon the nuclear bunker that they very likely constructed themselves and then forgot to actually defend in any way, otherwise they'd probably have noticed the GLA showing up to claim it! They're like right next to the fuckin' thing.

"We are invincible!" <- A chinese soldier moments before dosing himself with invisible cancer rays for the glory of the state.

With the chinese people finally safe and the bunker destroyed the army calls it a day and prepares for their proper retaliatory strike.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Oh look the chinese government is ordering us to strike Hong Kong. Big Surprise.

This is what the loading screen in Generals looks like. Instead of doing FMV's where you get to see actors you like hamming it up they decided you should have monotone status reports from people doing racist accents. In my opinion this is one of the biggest reasons this franchise was ill received by the command and conquer community at large. For Zero Hour they did spring for some actors but only as people playing news anchors it never really feels the same and it could have been a lot more fun.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
One thing you can see in the above picture is we are gaining access to the chinese gattling tank. They are good against infantry, aircraft, technicals. Not much to say about them and considering that the chinese campaign primarily focuses on fighting the GLA you really won't see their anti air capabilities come into play except in multiplayer and skirmishes.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Here the chinese are marching their army directly over what has to be the least well supported bridge in history. I'm amazed the weight of those overlord tanks didn't collapse the damned thing right there. Also notably the strategy at play here seems to be that the defenseless bulldozers will approach the heavily fortified convention center first in order to take those crucial first three rockets so as to make sure nobody who isn't a civilian gets shot or hurt first.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Seriously they have like a million loving tanks on this bridge. This is approaching death star levels of military misspending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Luckily for us the GLA have nicely agreed to put egregious green paint on anything they use. This means we can instantly tell something is clearly very amiss here even if the chinese army seems entirely blind to it.

Unfortunately Generals and Zero Hour have basically nothing in the way of naval combat and you never get to actually build any terrorist patrol boats yourself. A shame.