Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Fun Times! posted:

I actually was curious how they and other companies would crunch games out when everyone has to work from home.

Ori was exclusively home office/remote developed as I recently read

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-03-10-building-ori-and-the-will-of-the-wisps-with-80-people-working-from-home

Very progressive way of thinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It's not an unusual approach for indie games, since the developers may not even actually know each other in person. It gets progressively more difficult as the size of the company grows, though. Simple logistical issues.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Hi Steam thread, I haven't been in here much for the last few years but is there currently a quick way to list all my cards at the lowest offering price without having to do each one individually please? IIRC there was a plugin for it years ago but I think it later turned out to have some weird poo poo in it as well :tinfoil:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Dream Quest is one dollar!

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

haldolium posted:

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-03-10-building-ori-and-the-will-of-the-wisps-with-80-people-working-from-home

The two guys that are Subset Games developed FTL in two different countries (US and China) for most of the game's development. I remember listening to an interview where they explained that one of them would work on the game, go to sleep, and the other guy would pick up from there.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

haldolium posted:

I think the Ori team is famously work life balanced and has built their talent acquisition on that. But be careful about reflex calling work from home progressive. It can get regressive too when now you never leave work and depending on your leadership they might use that in the wrong way.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Dream Quest is very much worth it just to see where Slay the Spire came from. The experience isn’t quite as tight, but it has a lot if depth and breadth, plus some key differences that make it interesting in its own right.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

So was the dev's budget for artwork.

That joke has been never made before.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Two Juice boxes per hour.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

zedprime posted:

I think the Ori team is famously work life balanced and has built their talent acquisition on that. But be careful about reflex calling work from home progressive. It can get regressive too when now you never leave work and depending on your leadership they might use that in the wrong way.

like everything, it's a balance, I guess.

Mierenneuker posted:

So was the dev's budget for artwork.

That joke has been never made before.

I think it was literally programmer art and they never changed it before being hired by Blizzard iirc

Goatness
Dec 2, 2005
Anyone else having trouble being signed in to the store? Can still access my library but any other tab isn't working.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Wamdoodle posted:

like everything, it's a balance, I guess.

I think it was literally programmer art and they never changed it before being hired by Blizzard iirc

correct -- the dev (Peter Whalen) has done some teasing on twitter lately about what people would like to see in an update, though , and said new art was already a given . So if that may interest you in the future you probably won't do better than $1 for the game

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

This game is good and kept me occupied for quite a long time after I got bored of Slay the Spire
(It's better than Slay the Spire imo)

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

deep dish peat moss posted:

well that's a buy for me :stare:

Anyone have any thoughts on Iconoclasts?

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

deep dish peat moss posted:

This game is good and kept me occupied for quite a long time after I got bored of Slay the Spire

eeeehhhhhhhh

The one big flaw in Dream Quest for me was in how little control you have over your own deck and how resistances can sometimes ruin a perfectly good run for no real reason.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

goferchan posted:

correct -- the dev (Peter Whalen) has done some teasing on twitter lately about what people would like to see in an update, though , and said new art was already a given . So if that may interest you in the future you probably won't do better than $1 for the game

Oooooo, updates you say.....hell, keep the art and just balance and squash the bugs, imo

Roluth posted:

eeeehhhhhhhh

The one big flaw in Dream Quest for me was in how little control you have over your own deck and how resistances can sometimes ruin a perfectly good run for no real reason.

*ahem*

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Lol, I'm out of work for two weeks.

I still won't get back to The Witcher 3.

:smith:

Divinity: Original Sin 2 has been one heck of a ride. Loving it so far. Barely popped out of fort joy and I continue to live with most of my bad decisions. There are some real sad things in that game. And some really dumb jokes. I love those item descriptions (looking at you, flower pot).

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Welp, I'm self-isolating.

I see that there is a Ubisoft sale going on, which of the last two Assassin's Creed games would you guys recommend? I played a few hours of Origins on PS4 a while back, is Odyssey better? I didn't really keep up with it other than the dumb "gently caress you, you can't be gay any more, have a baby!" thing from one of the DLCs.

Mostly just looking for something to play for the week until Doom Eternal, Animal Crossing and Alyx

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Veotax posted:

I see that there is a Ubisoft sale going on, which of the last two Assassin's Creed games would you guys recommend? I played a few hours of Origins on PS4 a while back, is Odyssey better? I didn't really keep up with it other than the dumb "gently caress you, you can't be gay any more, have a baby!" thing from one of the DLCs.
They are both good, I'd say biggest deciding factor is whether you want to want to explore ancient Greece or slightly less ancient Egypt. If the setting doesn't matter, go with Odyssey, it improved on a lot of Origins' system.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Cant' really comment on Odyssey's story since I haven't played it, but Bayek is one of the best protagonists I've seen in that sort of game and Origins is worth playing just for him imo.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I think Origins has the better environments. Egypt is just more visually interesting that Greece, no offense to any Greek people. Asscreed hasn't been to any part of Africa or the Middle East since AC1, I think, which makes it the more novel experience. Also, I really like deserts.

I think it also has the more interesting abilities. That 'infectious poison' skill that spreads between enemies is disturbingly fun to play around with. I must have depopulated Alexandria at least half a dozen times.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

"We must not kill innocents! It's the creed!"

*uses bioweapons in a busy street to steal a piece of wood. kills off a district*

"The creed!"

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The game doesn't punish you for it, so it's morally acceptable. That's how it works, everyone knows that.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Veotax posted:

Welp, I'm self-isolating.

Mostly just looking for something to play for the week until Doom Eternal, Animal Crossing and Alyx

I loved Odyssey, and definitely choose the female main character imo. The systems are just a bit more developed all round. If you have a preference between Egypt and Greece though that could swing it.

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.
I played both new asscreeds to an embarrassing high level of completion!

Odyssey is a better game: it's much larger and most (not all) systems are improved slightly, notably the mercenaries.

But Origins was a better experience. Egypt is undoubtedly the better map and Bayek has the better story.

Ultimately, they're similar enough that if you like one you'll like both. But I'd say that unless you have a really strong preference for Ancient Greece, get Origins.

The major DLCs for both are generally worth it, Origin's Curse of the Pharoahs is the best of them all. You can completely ignore the little packs, both base games come with plenty of dress-up options and you'll never need more swords.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

tildes posted:

I loved Odyssey, and definitely choose the female main character imo.
Oh, yeah, this ought to be seconded: if you play Odyssey, play as Kassandra. She's much more likeable a protagonist.
And when it comes to DLC, the ones you really want are Curse of the Pharaohs (Origins) and Fate of Atlantis (Odyssey). The one taking place in Sinai is really bland and the Odyssey one has the stupid timeskip baby plot.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Mar 17, 2020

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Artelier posted:

Cute platformer with some metroidvania overtones, but feels a lot more of a mixed bag sort of platformer and aimless in spots.

Great animation and okay story, but even as a 10ish hour game, kinda feels like it starts to overstay its welcome, and definitely whiffs it with the gameplay sometimes--the exploration generally feels unrewarding and some of the level design is bad, there's an elevator maze that deeply annoyed me

I'd say get it on sale if you dig story platformers, maybe along the lines of a Cave Story, but don't go in expecting a meaty metroidvania system, it's not quite that

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Artelier posted:

well that's a buy for me :stare:

Amazing pixel art, great story, decent platforming, some really good bosses and some not so good bosses, very good music.

Not a true metroidvania, more of a linear action platformer that also allows you to backtrack for extra shiny things.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I can't remember if Prototype ever goes on sale, but it's currently 5$ so hey.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Also I'm getting closer to being able to afford this pack:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

StrixNebulosa posted:

I can't remember if Prototype ever goes on sale, but it's currently 5$ so hey.

The neat thing about Prototype is that you're elbowdropping tanks and helicopters within minutes of loading it up.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Both Prototype games are still pretty drat good.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

Both Prototype games are still pretty drat good.
Required viewing on why Heller is the best protagonist https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuS6ZJrfZXQ

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
gently caress, that reminds me I never beat Prototype 2 despite loving the hell out of the first one. Now these games could use a remaster.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

They really need it, too. I remember the Prototype games being notoriously prone to breakage or failing to start up properly back in the day. I really would like to play them again, but I'm not sure I could actually get them to run.

Sylphosaurus posted:

Required viewing on why Heller is the best protagonist https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuS6ZJrfZXQ
Man, this kind of poo poo is why I am so glad I never had to work in tech support.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I'd say just use the Steam refund policy. I am personally not aware of any issues playing the game, I played it a couple months ago

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SelenicMartian posted:

"We must not kill innocents! It's the creed!"

*uses bioweapons in a busy street to steal a piece of wood. kills off a district*

"The creed!"

"Nothing is true, everything is permitted."

"Not that."

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I'd say just use the Steam refund policy. I am personally not aware of any issues playing the game, I played it a couple months ago
Good to know, thanks. I keep running into the problem more and more often that older games just really don't like Windows 10 very much. I think I'll be trying that, then.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I’ve played both Prototypes on Windows 10 without issues, but I agree, I really, really want a full remaster. Or even a remake so they can really pump up the crowd numbers and make all the tentacle/tumor powers look about 50 percent grosser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
This game looks pretty dope.
https://www.pcgamer.com/the-riftbreaker-is-a-base-building-action-rpg-for-mech-lovers/