Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Oh hey this is about to start. Also it goes ten minutes over tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Kim doing an impression of her boss rules hahaha

e: Omg, Jimmy is really pulling out all the stops here :allears:

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Mar 17, 2020

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I wish the show was nothing but schemes
at least for an episode or two

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Oh no

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Aww come on Kim, don't :smith:

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Steven Ogg already played a different person on this show didn't he

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Steven Ogg already played a different person on this show didn't he

No he played the same person he got his rear end kicked by Mike way back in Season 1 when we first met Pryce.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Oh fuuucccck

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
REVEEEENNNNNNGEEEE :black101:

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

REVEEEENNNNNNGEEEE :black101:

Everyone understands revenge :colbert:

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

that line read was very good

also rhea seehorn is hands down one of the best actors on TV right now

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I did think it was weird that we kept seeing Rich around doing nothing important even though he was on the same level of importance as the Mesa Verde people and has the same kind of role as Howard did.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Shitenshi posted:

I did think it was weird that we kept seeing Rich around doing nothing important even though he was on the same level of importance as the Mesa Verde people and has the same kind of role as Howard did.

he's the senior partner in the firm and kim is actively loving up one of their biggest accounts. seems like he's doing his job

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

eke out posted:

he's the senior partner in the firm and kim is actively loving up one of their biggest accounts. seems like he's doing his job

No, I mean before it was weird that he'd kept being around to fulfill a nominal role when Paige or Kevin could have easily showed in to take his place and order Kim around instead. He's going to be the straw that breaks the back of Kim's law career.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I like how Mike's mood improves a lot when he puts the towel on the leaky window, because he's always been looking for a way to feel useful and he's good with handy work, like the episode when he did the asphalt in the driveway. It's such a character moment. The impression scene was hilarious

There's a parallel between "no good deed can make up for what Gus does" conversation and Ackerman's speech about bank lawyers and token charity. It seems to be combining with envy of the times that Jimmy uses his "powers" to actually stick up for the "little guy", like in the case that she walked in on.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Mar 17, 2020

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

gently caress! What a good show! Goddamn it! Why does it make me mad?

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
This is the best piece of art I have ever seen. God drat.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Yeah. I'm amazed by how good every episode is. Takes a whole lot for me to be looking forward to Mondays.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Shitenshi posted:

No, I mean before it was weird that he'd kept being around to fulfill a nominal role when Paige or Kevin could have easily showed in to take his place and order Kim around instead. He's going to be the straw that breaks the back of Kim's law career.

i got the feeling he had no day-to-day involvement, he was just brought in for that one meeting in a last-ditch "no one else can convince this rear end in a top hat client, but maybe he'll buy the advice if it comes from another rich white guy in a position of power" capacity

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

This is the best piece of art I have ever seen. God drat.

I like better call saul but for shame...

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
?

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

eke out posted:

i got the feeling he had no day-to-day involvement, he was just brought in for that one meeting in a last-ditch "no one else can convince this rear end in a top hat client, but maybe he'll buy the advice if it comes from another rich white guy in a position of power" capacity

I was referring more specifically to the writers' use of Rich. He's been around not doing anything important despite having more speaking roles this season compared to before when they could have easily given that speaking role to Kevin or Paige, and now after that little standoff? One way or another, this is the beginning of the end of Kim's career and will mark the point Jimmy goes full Saul.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Dang, Jimmy's letting Kim way more in on just how seedy he is than I ever expected, this is wild. I'm still not convinced that it makes sense that this is the hill that Kim's dying on, but I guess that was just the right emotional gut punch at the right time when she was still off kilter from being duped by Jimmy and taken in thinking he was showing real emotion in the hearing to get his license back. While that was it's own little slowly moving car crash in its own way she could fall back on "but I'm a good lawyer", and then soon after she tricks her client into taking a settlement she's trying to kick a guy off his land and being a corporate shill, and now she's clearly willing to do anything to get that "I'm definitely a good person" self-vision back.

I can toss together stuff and have it make sense of course, since this is an excellent show and always has been, I just feel like it should have been a bigger moment or issue to send Kim into this kind of tailspin.

All-time great Saul montage in this episode, each plot to draw it out was better than the last. The guy Mike beat up turned out to actually have a brain as well, that was a pretty solid operation to arrange for a house investigation and I could see Mike coming up with a very similar plan. My head-canon is that he started really applying himself and thinking more after he got his rear end kicked by an old man.

I didn't see it coming, but Gus telling Mike the right story about what the Cartel did to him, why he wants revenge, and how he intends to go about it is totally the way that Mike gets fully absorbed into the fold. I like that I feel like I can draw a straight line from that last scene to where we see Mike in Breaking Bad, and it'd make complete sense to me on that alone.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

:stare:
That whole last scene was basically the Devil telling the sinner "We both know you are beyond redemption, join me and make your damnation meaningful", which is a highly powerful tempting notion.
No need to figure out your issues and learn to accept and love yourself, just fashion your self hatred into a spear (and drat the consequences).

Von Pluring
Sep 19, 2003

Zelensky's Zealots
Pork Pro
I loved this episode. Clever writing, great cinematography, and really just a lot of fun. It was cool to see John DiMaggio a.k.a. Bender from Futurama showing up as the construction/demolition boss guy.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
John Dimaggio and Steven Ogg in the same episode? What did I do to deserve such delights? Does anyone know what it was that Kim found in the pictures? Something about the logo for Mesa Verde?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Steven Ogg's presence made me think back to Mike's little speech about how a criminal is a criminal, but you can choose to be a good criminal or a bad one. I'm not sure if that's an association they expected viewers to make, but it tied perfectly into the last temptation of Mike, and I appreciate the episode for it.

Did anyone catch what was up with the picture that caught Kim's interest? It just looked like a bookshelf to me.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It seems like maybe Kevin plagiarized Mesa Verde's logo from something from 1958.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

its going to turn out that mesa verde dude was the guy who hosed the horse in the picture saul showed the old man

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

0 rows returned posted:

its going to turn out that mesa verde dude was the guy who hosed the horse in the picture saul showed the old man

I like how you think

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

NowonSA posted:

Dang, Jimmy's letting Kim way more in on just how seedy he is than I ever expected, this is wild.

I’ve been rewatching the show and Kim is totally aware that Jimmy is sleaze from the beginning, the whole episode with the kettlemans he comes off as if he’s majorly involved in shady poo poo (which he is) and she notices. Then there’s outright scams they run together. She knows about slippin jimmy and so on.

I get the sense that Kim doesn’t stay with jimmy because she’s oblivious to his dark side, but rather because she’s a “rescuer” type personality who’s drawn to fixing people, so the fact that he obviously needs someone to keep him relatively close to the straight and narrow is a fundamental part of his appeal to her.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

eke out posted:

also rhea seehorn is hands down one of the best actors on TV right now

That little smile she gave Jimmy when she spotted the horse was :kiss:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I think that's underselling their relationship a fair bit. Kim knows about Slippin' Jimmy, and she likes Slippin' Jimmy. She tries to pull the brakes on him when he's putting his own safety or career at risk (and occasionally, someone else's), because she's looking out for him, but she's very clearly into being Giselle St. Clair to his Victor with a K when nothing is needlessly risked.

If there's any indication of where they're at in the last couple episodes, my read is that she's coming around to Saul Goodman, too, even if she was skeptical at first. Saul Goodman gets results and stands up for the little guy in a way that Kim never could. He's colorful, sure, and sometimes even seedy, but he's not doing anything that carries a risk of disbarment or personal injury, which is where Kim has always drawn the line.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

They're doing an incredible job having him skirt grey areas. It really makes you believe that scumbag criminal lawyers could be an actual thing. (they probably do, but they probably all work for massive corporations)

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Propaniac posted:

When BCS debuted, "comedy lawyer drama" was basically what everyone was expecting, and ratings were quite good. Then as the show became more and more entangled in the cartel stuff instead of hijinks like the skater twins and the Kettlemans, ratings have gone steadily downward. People stopped watching. (It probably also didn't help that even the lawyer side of the show got less and less about the comedy and more and more about everyone being sad and angry.)

This episode was like 90% comedy lawyer drama, and it owned.

It's also incredibly tense and tragic, which also owns.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Chadzok posted:

It really makes you believe that scumbag criminal lawyers could be an actual thing. (they probably do, but they probably all work for massive corporations)

They definitely exist and some work for gangs

A guy who I used to know through work did time for shady gang-related lawyer poo poo (unfortunately I don't have specifics) and got out early by snitching on his cell mate. It was in the paper with his pic and all

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

but he's not doing anything that carries a risk of disbarment

like everything he's done in the past two episodes carries the risk of disbarment lol, especially since he's already lost his license once and would be on extremely thin ice. dude hired a criminal to break into his opponent's home and steal information to gain advantage in their legal squabbles

he just hasn't been caught

eke out fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Mar 17, 2020

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I would have loved a Denny Crane/Allen Shore/Saul Goodman triumvirate, but here we are.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

eke out posted:

like everything he's done in the past two episodes carries the risk of disbarment lol, especially since he's already lost his license once and would be on extremely thin ice. dude hired a criminal to break into his opponent's home and steal information to gain advantage in their legal squabbles

he just hasn't been caught

Yeah, that's fair. Kim's risk assessment has slipped from "not legal" to "plausible deniability" since the Squat Cobbler episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Wafflecopper posted:

They definitely exist and some work for gangs

A guy who I used to know through work did time for shady gang-related lawyer poo poo (unfortunately I don't have specifics) and got out early by snitching on his cell mate. It was in the paper with his pic and all

There are also a LOT of lawyers in the Hells' Angels.