Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I don't understand why food derails are so consistent. And half the time they start with "I don't want to start a derail but..." Like that fools anybody, you loving liar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I don't understand why food derails are so consistent. And half the time they start with "I don't want to start a derail but..." Like that fools anybody, you loving liar.

It's because we enjoy it. Post a funny picture if you want to get things back on track or at least tell us your favorite doughnut.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
I don't want to derail pizza chat, but....

.... scrunch or fold?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

So, I swear I saw a twitter post of the Cell Games being cancelled because of CoronaVirus with Goku has coronavirus below it, was that this thread?

I don't have the tweet but took a screenshot.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Uppa posted:

It’s because of kids. I’ve never seen an adult order a cheese pizza for themselves, but when kids are involved, cheese pizza is the only thing you can reliably count on them eating.

In New York City, the home of pizza (just ask them), the archetypical pizza is not even "a pizza", but a single giant floppy slice from a heatlamp case where it's been sitting all day. You order it for like a dollar and they stick it in the oven for two minutes and then you take your "pizza" walking down the street, folding it in half so you can eat it one-handed.

You do not order toppings on the heatlamp pizza. Toppings are apparently just there to dress up the display case, where certain display pizzas are half-gone or reassembled from several showcase styles they evidently ordered from a catalog, and they are invariably gross and sad. Flabby gray canned mushrooms, sad tasteless pepperoni, stale penne pasta (!!!), wilted broccoli. If you order a slice with toppings it interferes with your ability to carry it and eat it one-handed because they will roll off the slice and disappear down your sleeve.

One time a coworker in Manhattan (a 20-something rich boy dude with a topknot and hipster beard) got hungry mid-morning and called out to order TWO LARGE CHEESE PIES to be delivered to the office, just for him. He sat at his desk at 11:30 eating his giant floppy cheese slices and whimpering with tears basically streaming down his cheeks about how it's "so fuckin good" and then he discovered he was full and put 1.75 LARGE CHEESE PIES into the office fridge, there to sit for weeks.

I do not have particularly good associations with cheese slices or cheese slice eaters

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Data Graham posted:

In New York City, the home of pizza (just ask them), the archetypical pizza is not even "a pizza", but a single giant floppy slice from a heatlamp case where it's been sitting all day. You order it for like a dollar and they stick it in the oven for two minutes and then you take your "pizza" walking down the street, folding it in half so you can eat it one-handed.

You do not order toppings on the heatlamp pizza. Toppings are apparently just there to dress up the display case, where certain display pizzas are half-gone or reassembled from several showcase styles they evidently ordered from a catalog, and they are invariably gross and sad. Flabby gray canned mushrooms, sad tasteless pepperoni, stale penne pasta (!!!), wilted broccoli. If you order a slice with toppings it interferes with your ability to carry it and eat it one-handed because they will roll off the slice and disappear down your sleeve.

One time a coworker in Manhattan (a 20-something rich boy dude with a topknot and hipster beard) got hungry mid-morning and called out to order TWO LARGE CHEESE PIES to be delivered to the office, just for him. He sat at his desk at 11:30 eating his giant floppy cheese slices and whimpering with tears basically streaming down his cheeks about how it's "so fuckin good" and then he discovered he was full and put 1.75 LARGE CHEESE PIES into the office fridge, there to sit for weeks.

I do not have particularly good associations with cheese slices or cheese slice eaters

Lol

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Data Graham posted:

And those slices still taste better than Domino's.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Data Graham posted:

Floppy cheese slices are pretty good if you're burnt out on supreme ever topping pizzas or frozen pizzas. But chicago deep dish pizza never gets old...you only die trying to eat more than you can handle.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I was in NYC this year for a convention (for work, not anime titties) and I stopped at a pizza place, standing room only, long line. $3 cash only, two slices and a can of soda.

It was loving good.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I will rank all pizza styles: NY style, Detroit style.

That’s it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I like both NY style and Chicago style pizza. My favorite is Detroit style though.

I live in Chicago. This has caused arguments up to and including physical altercations.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Detroit style pizza: 3 dollars for a slice, a can of coke, and burnt down crackhouse.

Chicago style is best, we are fighting now!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

The Bloop posted:

I was in NYC this year for a convention (for work, not anime titties) and I stopped at a pizza place, standing room only, long line. $3 cash only, two slices and a can of soda.

It was loving good.

lol, I think I even know the specific place you went to. But yeah, it owns. That was lunch for me every day when I was working as a courier there

w0o0o0o
Aug 26, 2007
bloop.
I feel a great disturbance in the internet, as if tens of Italian goons suddenly cried out in anguish and were suddenly silenced

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Are the people on the right some new subculture I'm not aware of? They like like slightly updated versions of Morrissey fans from the late 80s

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Scratch Monkey posted:

Are the people on the right some new subculture I'm not aware of? They like like slightly updated versions of Morrissey fans from the late 80s

Upper middle class east coast liberals

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

Sir Not Appearing posted:

Unless the Italian pizza industry has changed a lot since 1987, if you asked for anything other than cheese, pepperoni or margherita they gave you the "you dumb, fat American" - look even if it predated the obesity epidemic by a couple decades.

I don't know if you're talking about italian-american pizza industry, or bona fide italian pizza industry, but I can tell you, that by far the worst and most bizarre pizza toppings I've ever seen were in Italy, namely in Rome and around it. There is no purism there, anything goes on a pizza. And it's not catering to foreigners or anything, because it's crap no sane person would come up with. Fries and egpplant? Why not!

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Captain Jesus posted:

I don't know if you're talking about italian-american pizza industry, or bona fide italian pizza industry, but I can tell you, that by far the worst and most bizarre pizza toppings I've ever seen were in Italy, namely in Rome and around it. There is no purism there, anything goes on a pizza. And it's not catering to foreigners or anything, because it's crap no sane person would come up with. Fries and egpplant? Why not!

Truth.

Went to a pizza shop in Rome, friend got a pizza with shredded chicken on it. Took one bite, his face turned sour and he said, "Oh god its tuna." and threw it in the trash can as we walked outside.

Next day, we walk past the same pizza shop, see a guy exit with a slice of pizza, takes a bite, "gently caress its tuna!." throws it in the same bin.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Captain Jesus posted:

It’s important to remember that pizza began as a peasant food and it was hardly well-regarded until the 20th century. The Neapolitan purist movement is pretty modern.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
When my mom visited Italy she was astounded that they put whole bell peppers on their pizzas. When she came back she got a pizza stone & made some pretty good homemade 'zas.

Broke: folding your NY-style pizza bilaterally to eat it one-handed.
Woke: rolling your pizza tip-to-crust and eating it like a pizza cigar.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
Dollar pizza is the best NYC pizza.

In my area in Brooklyn at pizza by the slice places pepperoni isn't as popular as cheese, but they have a lot of other options I hadn't seen before moving here. Stranger things like buffalo/bbq chicken are pretty popular, and other crust styles like grandma/grandpa pizza.

The one I go to does a spinach pizza that is like an spinach dip base topped with cheese that is ridiculously good.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Food is food and being pedantic over names is lame as hell

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Android Apocalypse posted:

When my mom visited Italy she was astounded that they put whole bell peppers on their pizzas. When she came back she got a pizza stone & made some pretty good homemade 'zas.

Broke: folding your NY-style pizza bilaterally to eat it one-handed.
Woke: rolling your pizza tip-to-crust and eating it like a pizza cigar.

https://www.madmagazine.com/blog/2013/11/19/dave-berg-before-the-lighter-side-pizza-pie

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Always sad to see a business lose out to trends of doing something at home.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I like pizza one way but other people like it another way
Who is right?
What is the best pizza?
Please discuss. Take your time.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Glad to see there's other old-school Mad Magazine readers here. :neckbeard:

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Picnic Princess posted:

Food is food and being pedantic over names is lame as hell

No one is being pedantic over names, they're arguing over which is the best. Which is easy, super thin crust sourdough pizza base with tomato, parma ham and rocket on it.

Aramoro has a new favorite as of 15:23 on Mar 17, 2020

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Aramoro posted:

No one is being pedantic over names, they're arguing over which is the best. Which is easy, super thin crust sourdough pizza base with tomato, param ham and rocket on it.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
My favorite pizza topping is well-done steak.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Goons are fat.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

My favorite pizza topping is well-done steak.

With pineapple ketchup, I presume?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

chitoryu12 posted:

It’s important to remember that pizza began as a peasant food and it was hardly well-regarded until the 20th century. The Neapolitan purist movement is pretty modern.

Roman pizza rules, Neapolitan pizza drools.

Going insane with weird experimental pizzas and odd ingredients is :krad:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Der Kyhe posted:

With pineapple ketchup, I presume?

Hell yeah you fuckin know it

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Deep-fried pizza is available in many chip shops in Scotland.[1][2] The basis is an inexpensive fresh or frozen oven-ready pizza consisting of a thick parbaked base with toppings already applied. This is then fried until crisp. The dish can be served as a "pizza supper" (with chips) or single (without chips), in whole and half pizza portions. The dish may be served with salt and vinegar, or with "salt and sauce" (a mixture of brown sauce and vinegar)

bitterandtwisted has a new favorite as of 16:29 on Mar 17, 2020

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I am a chaotic evil person. I eat sweet pizzas and order hearty pancakes at the pancake restaurant.

Edit: Uh, are pancake restaurants even an international thing? They're not uncommon in the Netherlands. Great for families with young children and birthday parties.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
The gently caress is a "hearty pancake"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Who What Now posted:

The gently caress is a "hearty pancake"?

I feel like it's going have meat in it.