Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

haunted bong posted:

whats been real wild to me are the people who are straight up complaining about having to watch their kids all day due to schools being shut down for the foreseeable future.

to clarify, i work in an area with a lot(a LOT) of SAHMs due to their husbands making some serious bank. Had one lady super pissed because their nanny was self-quarantining due to having a weakened immune system.

like goddamn lady, it's a 2 year old child not a nuclear reactor, they're really not that hard to take care of if you're not a lovely loving person. Feed them, love them, and let them play.

I work for a telcom and well, basically the last shred of capitalism is keeping people able to work from home so we are all busy as gently caress. I'm working from home with my kids but don't have time to engage with them, which feels bad. I wish I could just piss away some PTO and do stuff with them, but we're busy trying to be decent and build some low price options for service for people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

tater_salad posted:

I think some goon posted earlier that they did some tests and the initial cases show that babies don't get covid from their mom at birth.
It happened in England three days ago.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I said come in! posted:

In all seriousness, COVID-19 takes 2 weeks for symptoms to start showing, and nausea is not going to be one of them. This is however a bad time to get sick either way as doctors and nurses are overloaded and resources are being stretched thin already.

Yeah I'm 99% sure I don't have COVID-19, but I do have some kind of garden variety flu / respiratory infection, so I'm in quarantine anyway. Both because I don't necessarily want to catch COVID-19 right now on top of this thing, and because I don't want to spread this disease and put more strain on our health care system.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Alien Sex Manual posted:

I am so glad I don’t live in a city. I know riots are inevitable with how poorly this has been handled and how the US has zero safety nets in place.

would people riot during a pandemic and surely infect themselves? nah I think we will see an increase in night time crimes, not day time rioting

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

haunted bong posted:

whats been real wild to me are the people who are straight up complaining about having to watch their kids all day due to schools being shut down for the foreseeable future.

to clarify, i work in an area with a lot(a LOT) of SAHMs due to their husbands making some serious bank. Had one lady super pissed because their nanny was self-quarantining due to having a weakened immune system.

like goddamn lady, it's a 2 year old child not a nuclear reactor, they're really not that hard to take care of if you're not a lovely loving person. Feed them, love them, and let them play.

Yeah it’s crazy how many parents are complaining about having to take care of their kids on like day 2 of quarantine. Try having a 9 month old teething twins and get back to me you whiners.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

big cummers ONLY posted:

There's a big push in local social media groups of people telling you to go to curb service/drive thru restaraunts. I'm clueless about this stuff but it seems like with workers being incentivized to come in while sick (because I live in America) it would be real easy for that poo poo to spread. Is this instinct correct or am I being paranoid

I don't get it either, whoever made your food could definatley be sick and breathing on your burrito.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

sanchez posted:

I don't get it either, whoever made your food could definatley be sick and breathing on your burrito.

if I worked at mcdonalds and i had to make food for all the office workers that get to stay home i'd cough in every burger

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

sanchez posted:

HEHEHEHEHE

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Der Shovel posted:

Yeah I'm 99% sure I don't have COVID-19, but I do have some kind of garden variety flu / respiratory infection, so I'm in quarantine anyway. Both because I don't necessarily want to catch COVID-19 right now on top of this thing, and because I don't want to spread this disease and put more strain on our health care system.

That is good, I hope you have a speedy recovery. Thank you for being responsible.

One of my check-ups for my crohns disease was just canceled. Its tough because I need those for to figure out treatment plans and do important blood work. I could get extremely sick otherwise, but at the same time I realize hospitals are stretched thin right now, and we are only like a month into this being serious in the U.S., with another 6 months to go. Hospitals in the U.S. will likely be having to choose who lives and dies in the next 9 - 12 days, and it'll be like that for months after.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I said come in! posted:

The virus sticks to surfaces long enough for food deliveries to be a great way to spread it around.

preventing microbial contamination is part of every restaurant's job every day regardless of coronavirus, and there's no reason this should be any more of a problem than raw chicken being in the same kitchen if everyone is following best practices. However, most restaurants are disgusting, many workers and managers don't wash their hands, cough or use bleach correctly, and workers who need the hours to eat and provide for their families will conceal symptoms or contact with infected people. So on the one hand, it's ridiculous to say not to eat takeout because restaurants can't be safe, because they absolutely can and should be, but unless you've been in the kitchen and you know the people working there it's impossible to know what you're getting into. I will say that national corporate places are generally much better at following protocols to the letter every day than mom and pops.

the good news is: you'll have lots of time under lockdown to rediscover the lost art of feeding your self. do that instead if you're concerned. it's a valuable skill.

E: lots of places have health inspection history online now. If your local spot has a history of really good health inspections, they're probably relatively safe now. Bit it could also just mean your health department sucks, or that they're the last restaurant in the row and they always get a heads up before the inspector walks in.

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Mar 17, 2020

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
How much did delivery people spread it in Wuhan etc under lockdown do we know

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
In Norway news, there is a big debate if living in a cabin should become forbidden - sure, it seems like a good way to avoid social contact, but if you are already infected, it means that counties with gently caress all of health services aren't able to respond to you drowning in your own lungs if you get that sick.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

poverty goat posted:

the good news is: you'll have lots of time under lockdown to rediscover the lost art of feeding your self. do that instead if you're concerned. it's a valuable skill.

This pretty much. My wife and I are pretty good on food and were before the mass panic hoarding. We do not intend on making trips to the store anytime soon. Just eat up what we already have.

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015

big cummers ONLY posted:

There's a big push in local social media groups of people telling you to go to curb service/drive thru restaraunts. I'm clueless about this stuff but it seems like with workers being incentivized to come in while sick (because I live in America) it would be real easy for that poo poo to spread. Is this instinct correct or am I being paranoid

As someone who works in food service it's infuriating. The sentiment is coming from a good place but we should have some kind buffer in place for an emergency like this instead of having to rely on folks rolling the dice with their health to support us.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Hello goons, I am feeling extremely anxious about this, as I'm sure everyone else is.

Also feeling very bleak about the prospect of this going on for as long as it is likely to.

My side gigs that help keep my head above water have all dried up for the foreseeable future, including a few in April that account for a solid percentage of my yearly income. My regular day job is safe for now, but is related to travel/hospitality, so who knows what might happen there. The CEO has already warned that some sort of layoff/furlough situation is going to be inevitable eventually.

All the things I do that keep me sane, like playing gigs, seeing live music, making an effort to see friends regularly for game nights etc, are all off the table. Basically the stuff that makes life worth living is on hold indefinitely.

There's no point to this post, I just wanted to complain somewhere. I'm lucky so far that I am currently still keeping my job, that I have a home to hunker down in, that my roommate's only flaw is that he talks about russian bots and Bill Maher too much.

Back to shitposting after this post

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

I said come in! posted:

In all seriousness, COVID-19 takes 2 weeks for symptoms to start showing, and nausea is not going to be one of them. This is however a bad time to get sick either way as doctors and nurses are overloaded and resources are being stretched thin already.

That's not really true, median incubation time is 5 days +/- 2 days. Granted, the data is still evolving but most reports support a number like this

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Puppy Galaxy posted:

this going on for as long as it is likely to.
All the things I do that keep me sane, like playing gigs, seeing live music, making an effort to see friends regularly for game nights etc, are all off the table. Basically the stuff that makes life worth living is on hold indefinitely.

Play gigs for twitch :v:

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

You can remain infectious for that long after recovery which is cool tho

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
So what's the word on produce? Should I avoid loose produce for the time being?

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

You can’t actually get it from the mail. Or at least the chances are extremely low even if the guy packing it coughed directly into the box.

https://www.health.com/condition/infectious-diseases/coronavirus/can-the-coronavirus-spread-through-mail

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Hello goons, I am feeling extremely anxious about this, as I'm sure everyone else is.

Also feeling very bleak about the prospect of this going on for as long as it is likely to.

Well manage. Young people,... by being young, people have a lot of power to overcome dificulties. Old people, ... these of us that are old, we have seen poo poo happens and past, for worse or for good, everything pass, nothing last forever.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

poverty goat posted:

Play gigs for twitch :v:

one of my bands is thinking about trying to stream something in place of a gig in a couple weeks.

but by the time that happens, we'll probably be under italy-style house arrest

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Harminoff posted:

So what's the word on produce? Should I avoid loose produce for the time being?

just wash it when you get home from the store and wash your hands. Don't touch your face after touching possibly contaminated things until you've washed your hands.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Tei posted:

Well manage. Young people,... by being young, people have a lot of power to overcome dificulties. Old people, ... these of us that are old, we have seen poo poo happens and past, for worse or for good, everything pass, nothing last forever.

how many pandemics have you lived through?

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Puppy Galaxy posted:

how many pandemics have you lived through?

Lol the sheer panic of this post. Take a deep breath my man

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Puppy Galaxy posted:

dude same. i was two days into a three and a half week tour when this poo poo went down, whole tour was cancelled as well as a subsequent european tour in may, those tours were supposed to be my main paychecks for the year. just going to work on getting some livestreaming poo poo going and in a few days and if im still feeling ok going to meet up with some musician friends in a park for a "6 feet away jam"

Tei posted:

Old people, ... these of us that are old, we have seen poo poo happens and past, for worse or for good, everything pass, nothing last forever.

im 42 and ive never seen anything close to this happen during my life and also as a lover of history this is just... not really true. will the virus last forever? no but many of the changes it will make to our society will last for the rest of our lives

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

GutBomb posted:

Don't touch your face after touching possibly contaminated things until you've washed your hands.

This..
Wash your hands when you come in from going out.. touched your debit card in teh house.. wash your hands. Touched your jacket to move it.. wash your hands..
WASH YOUR HANDS.. DONT TOUCH YOUR FACE / MOUTH ETC until you've washed your hands.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Puppy Galaxy posted:

My side gigs that help keep my head above water have all dried up for the foreseeable future, including a few in April that account for a solid percentage of my yearly income. My regular day job is safe for now, but is related to travel/hospitality, so who knows what might happen there. The CEO has already warned that some sort of layoff/furlough situation is going to be inevitable eventually.

There's no point to this post, I just wanted to complain somewhere. I'm lucky so far that I am currently still keeping my job, that I have a home to hunker down in, that my roommate's only flaw is that he talks about russian bots and Bill Maher too much.

Back to shitposting after this post

Maybe this whole event will serve as a wake up call and learning moment for the world at large regarding the absolutely devastating impact climate change is going to have on the basic functioning of society over the next thirty years and people will.....AHahahahahahaha who am I kidding, nobody is walking away from this having learned a drat thing.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Starks posted:

Lol the sheer panic of this post. Take a deep breath my man

i'm not saying we're all gonna die and i am not panicked in the least. i do think this has potential to change a lot about our day to day lives in ways that we are not expecting because there isn't much to compare it to, so the whole "i'm old, i've seen some poo poo!" line doesn't really seem to apply here

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Hazo posted:

I can’t believe West loving Virginia still hasn’t reported a case

Country roads apparently haven't taken everyone home yet

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Tei posted:

Including us.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

tater_salad posted:

This..
Wash your hands when you come in from going out.. touched your debit card in teh house.. wash your hands. Touched your jacket to move it.. wash your hands..
WASH YOUR HANDS.. DONT TOUCH YOUR FACE / MOUTH ETC until you've washed your hands.

Forget to sanitize your phone before bed, put your hands on your pillowcase, then put your face where your hands were? Succumb to the deepest sleep

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working
Here's a fun one people don't think about often: sanitize your phone. You're probably touching it constantly in public with dirty hands, coming home and washing your hands, then pulling your phone out of your pocket and woops

I recommend putting it in a microwave for about a minute and a half. Seems to kill any germs or viruses.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Tei posted:

I get the optimism but there are people struggling *right now* with how they will pay for the homes they live in for the next month, or if they'll have a job, or how they'll even GET work if their kids are home for the rest of the school year.

It's easy to tell younger people they will persevere when you sit in an ivory tower but it's honestly pretty pretentious to try and handwave away the new reality people live in by instilling hope for the future. Can't look to politicians for help seeing as how the US democrats went out of their way to gently caress over a bunch of people with the bill they proposed yesterday. loving useless "liberals".

Will things get better? Probably, maybe, who knows. Will we get dragged into a depression, which will make things worse? Possibly, who knows. Will we see another pandemic next year? Possibly! But, the reality of the situation as it stands now threatens families as the USA doesn't have the same safety nets other countries do.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

this is like 9/11 except it's not hilarious

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

rifles posted:

Here's a fun one people don't think about often: sanitize your phone. You're probably touching it constantly in public with dirty hands, coming home and washing your hands, then pulling your phone out of your pocket and woops

I recommend putting it in a microwave for about a minute and a half. Seems to kill any germs or viruses.

DO NOT DO THIS!!!
Chances are you'll contaminate the microwave and then your food, PLEASE BE SAFE and put your phone in the dishwasher like a smart, careful person would!

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Oh gently caress yeah I just got laid!!

off

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
thinking about shaving off all my body hair

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Louisgod posted:

I get the optimism but there are people struggling *right now* with how they will pay for the homes they live in for the next month, or if they'll have a job, or how they'll even GET work if their kids are home for the rest of the school year.

It's easy to tell younger people they will persevere when you sit in an ivory tower but it's honestly pretty pretentious to try and handwave away the new reality people live in by instilling hope for the future. Can't look to politicians for help seeing as how the US democrats went out of their way to gently caress over a bunch of people with the bill they proposed yesterday. loving useless "liberals".

Will things get better? Probably, maybe, who knows. Will we get dragged into a depression, which will make things worse? Possibly, who knows. Will we see another pandemic next year? Possibly! But, the reality of the situation as it stands now threatens families as the USA doesn't have the same safety nets other countries do.

Not that it makes it any better, but I live somewhere with definitely more safeties than the USA and this will gently caress up everything massively just the same.

At least we don't have guns, and the fear-your-neighbor mentality that comes with them because that will possibly take things to a next level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Puppy Galaxy posted:

i'm not saying we're all gonna die and i am not panicked in the least. i do think this has potential to change a lot about our day to day lives in ways that we are not expecting because there isn't much to compare it to, so the whole "i'm old, i've seen some poo poo!" line doesn't really seem to apply here

IDK, I oscillate between panic and not. There's a lot of good mobilization efforts happening in my home state (WI), and the governor is taking most of the necessary steps, though not all of them. Not enough of them for my liking, anyway.

To me, it's more that it seems fitting. I quit smoking, pull my life out of the gutter, get past a lot of ADHD quirks holding me back. It's the perfect time to get glassed by a loving virus, lol.

Then I calm down and realize again that I'm nowhere close to where this is really catching fire (yet), and we may have a fighting chance to stave this off until a therapeutics are found and distributed (may). Depends on what Evers does from here.

We'll see.

EDIT: oh wait IL is getting its head kicked in isn't it

oh well