Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Avalerion posted:

I find the quanri abominable. Like some elders can decide your calling in life is to be a prostitute and if you disagree, off to brainwash camp with you.

In Tevinter Nights their modus operandi for conquest is murdering every soldier, lobotomizing every mage and turning them into laundry slaves, and then forced slave labor under a Bas-taar (thing keeper) for all the men until they're considered "worthy" of the Qun.

I think the Imperium will end up being the lighter option in DA4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Berke Negri posted:

DAO is broad enough anything is appropriate, especially without any player VA really (canonically I think its female dalish warrior or something?)

DA2 because femhawke has the better VA imo (she does the VA for female imperial agent in SWTOR for anyone thats played that) and snarky because if you commit 100% its basically like hawke is going just as insane as the rest of the city as the game goes on, and rogue cause well, there's enough warriors and mages running around in that game sometimes its nice just to be a regular criminal

IIRC, one of the developers for the series mentioned in an article about designing the Inquisitor for DAI that, in the dev team's minds, the Warden was a warrior, Hawke was a mage, and the Inquisitor is a rogue.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Bro Dad posted:

In Tevinter Nights their modus operandi for conquest is murdering every soldier, lobotomizing every mage and turning them into laundry slaves, and then forced slave labor under a Bas-taar (thing keeper) for all the men until they're considered "worthy" of the Qun.

I think the Imperium will end up being the lighter option in DA4.

This is apparently the Antaam - the Warriors - going rogue, no? This is not like previous Qunari invasions.

As for the Pros and Cons of the Qunari in general, Thedas is a feudal society full of racism and injustice. It's like how Dorian says "sure Tevinter has slavery but Ferelden just shoves elves into ghettos to be raped or die of plague. Is that really any better?"

The Qunari aren't perfect but they are less racist than pretty much everywhere else in Thedas.There is no noble lord waiting to just rape you if he feels like it.

You just have to pick your poison.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Mar 17, 2020

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

every nation in thedas is a poo poo hole and would be absolute hell to live in if you're not part of the ruling class, but the qunari are far and away the worst, to say nothing of the fact they're all descended from some freak who hosed a dragon

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

every nation in thedas is a poo poo hole and would be absolute hell to live in if you're not part of the ruling class, but the qunari are far and away the worst, to say nothing of the fact they're all descended from some freak who hosed a dragon

Isn't it Tevinter if you're not a Magister? Most people are probably pretty happy under the Qun.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
I too think it would be better to live in a nation where you can be sent to a reeducation camp and lobotomized if you want to he more than a dishwasher

e: free choice is so pesky, its much better to live without it, we would all be so much happier if we just let our betters decide everything for us.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

I got the impression that they seem to be an engineered race with some kind of dragon component in their genetic makeup.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

CottonWolf posted:

Isn't it Tevinter if you're not a Magister? Most people are probably pretty happy under the Qun.

Yeah, Tevinter is by all accounts super into slavery and tyranny unless you're a noble (i.e. a mage). In which case, welcome to everyone being a blood mage while indulging in magic eugenics and constant political maneuvering and backstabbing.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

CottonWolf posted:

Eh, its kind of a tossup. Tevinter basically functions like most other nations, the mages are just in charge instead of in circles.

Like they have a serious theological schism with the countries we've played in, but ultimately there isn't a whole lot of indication their day to day life is actually worse for most people. Like we get a bunch of stories about how hosed some stuff is but it isn't like Fereldan, Kirkwall or Orlais don't also gently caress over most of their commoners.

Like look at everything to do with the city elves across all three games.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 10 minutes!

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

Look, as the Dragon Age protagonist we've hosed everything and everyone else, dragons are just the next logical step.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Sylphosaurus posted:

I got the impression that they seem to be an engineered race with some kind of dragon component in their genetic makeup.

what do you think is more likely? some ancient mage had a sufficient understanding of dna that he was able to magically splice together the human and dragon genomes, or some ancient mage magically roofie'd a dragon and hosed it in the name of "science"

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

CottonWolf posted:

That's an important distinction. There are converts to the Qun. Nobody willingly goes to Tevinter At most they are facing certain death somewhere else so they'are like "eh, slavery doesn't sound so bad....".

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
The Qun is correct about mages. The only good species in Dragon Age is the Dwarves since they can't become mages. All others are corruptible and therefor a threat.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Descent makes it seem like there's something weird going on with Dwarves.

Were they just drones/slaves for the Titans up until the Veil was put up? That seems hosed up.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

As for the Pros and Cons of the Qunari in general, Thedas is a feudal society full of racism and injustice. It's like how Dorian says "sure Tevinter has slavery but Ferelden just shoves elves into ghettos to be raped or die of plague. Is that really any better?"son.

This is literally the argument used by "The South Was Right!" the idea of the noble and just slave owner who treats his human chattel like human beings instead of property and is emotionally and financially invested in making them happy and healthy.

Hard truth: Anything is better then being relegated to "property" when it comes to life.

Coming from the mouths of one of the "good ones" makes it even more damning given he was almost gay-conversion mind wiped and still thinks his society is somehow better.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

pentyne posted:

This is literally the argument used by "The South Was Right!" the idea of the noble and just slave owner who treats his human chattel like human beings instead of property and is emotionally and financially invested in making them happy and healthy.

Hard truth: Anything is better then being relegated to "property" when it comes to life.

Coming from the mouths of one of the "good ones" makes it even more damning given he was almost gay-conversion mind wiped and still thinks his society is somehow better.

Or the Tevinter elf slaver in DAO. If you try to appeal to her as an elf, she laughs at you because she's one of the Good Ones, gifted wealth and power by her masters in return for her faithful, unquestioning service.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

pentyne posted:

Tevinter is Rome, not the South. Slavery is always bad but there are degrees of slavery. Roman slavery was nothing like American chattel slavery.

And no, being third class citizens who can be purged at the whim of the monarch as happens in Orlais is not "preferable" in my mind .At best they are equally awful.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Mar 17, 2020

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Cythereal posted:

IIRC, one of the developers for the series mentioned in an article about designing the Inquisitor for DAI that, in the dev team's minds, the Warden was a warrior, Hawke was a mage, and the Inquisitor is a rogue.

honestly DA:I is probably the first game where you being a mage walking around with a staff on your back isnt kind of jarring, so that's weird they think that

that said bow rogue in DA:I is fun with all the flipping around

edit: DA:O you're at least from a circle than immediately conscripted by the grey wardens and they can do whatever the f they want, so that's fine

2 you're pretty much just an apostate walking around in the open right?

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

fereldon has warsaw ghettos full of elves that the local lord can rape whenever he feels like it, but they don't actually call them slaves, so they're better than tevinter :eng101:

and this should be obvious, but this is not a defense of slavery. the point is they're both indefensible

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Ginette Reno posted:

Descent makes it seem like there's something weird going on with Dwarves.

Were they just drones/slaves for the Titans up until the Veil was put up? That seems hosed up.

Nah, I don't think so. It seems more likely they were formed from the Titan's and worked in harmony with and within them. To willingly leave doesn't seem like it would have been prohibited simply because it wasn't done. The case might be made that the Titan's sing to the dwarves in a similar way that the Demon Supreme's sing to the darkspawn and that severing the connection and making their world silent would make them go mad, but given the large amount of non-mad dwarves it'd probably just suck for them for a while.

What I hope is that DA4 doesn't go the route of attempting to paint the dwarves as slaves. It'd be rad if the Elven oligarchs were all "Sure, we murdered the only good things in the world and but we totally freed the dwarves by doing it, trust us."

edit: by "It seems more likely" I mean "I want this to be true".

Admiral Ray fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 17, 2020

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I feel like DA, as a setting, has a lot of really cool narrative items to capitalize on with all of the social groups having hugely different social contracts. I just don't think modern Bioware is going to be able to do anything good with them. We're going to get a half baked live service open world game, with a bunch of hanging plot threads left unresolved and largely inconsequential story decisions.

Maybe they'll manage to make something cool like ME3 mp to tack onto it as a revenue stream tail though?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
A weird thing about Dragon Age as a series: since a lot of players tend to stick with the same type of character, and since Dragon Age spans more than a decade, there's bound to be some Thedosian historian who's gonna be like "huh, every significant hero of the past 10 years has been a sarcastic redheaded lesbian mage. weird"

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Berke Negri posted:

honestly DA:I is probably the first game where you being a mage walking around with a staff on your back isnt kind of jarring, so that's weird they think that

that said bow rogue in DA:I is fun with all the flipping around

edit: DA:O you're at least from a circle than immediately conscripted by the grey wardens and they can do whatever the f they want, so that's fine

2 you're pretty much just an apostate walking around in the open right?

Yeah, that always struck me as weird as well. Hawke just rolls around as an apostate openly using magic everywhere, including their famous duel with the Arishok in front of all of the nobility of the city, and nothing ever happens to them because of it.

I'm planning on doing DA2 into DAI during the corona quarantine times and that's my dilemma. Mage Hawke is the best Hawke, because of Legacy and because Carver is better than Bethany, but the "Everybody ignores the fact that the Champion is an apostate" thing always bothers me.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Khizan posted:

I'm planning on doing DA2 into DAI during the corona quarantine times and that's my dilemma. Mage Hawke is the best Hawke, because of Legacy and because Carver is better than Bethany, but the "Everybody ignores the fact that the Champion is an apostate" thing always bothers me.
Same. I ended up using a multi-class mod and presented Hawke in "public" as a Warrior. It made things make more sense to me.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Pattonesque posted:

A weird thing about Dragon Age as a series: since a lot of players tend to stick with the same type of character, and since Dragon Age spans more than a decade, there's bound to be some Thedosian historian who's gonna be like "huh, every significant hero of the past 10 years has been a sarcastic redheaded lesbian mage. weird"

I'm feeling personally attacked here.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Khizan posted:

Yeah, that always struck me as weird as well. Hawke just rolls around as an apostate openly using magic everywhere, including their famous duel with the Arishok in front of all of the nobility of the city, and nothing ever happens to them because of it.

They at least make it pretty explicit that by the time it's super publically known (post arishok) everyone is too drat scared to make a move on you.

And the templars are mid crisis by then.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

KittyEmpress posted:

They at least make it pretty explicit that by the time it's super publically known (post arishok) everyone is too drat scared to make a move on you.

And the templars are mid crisis by then.

At that point both sides realize the influence Hawke wields in the city and try to persuade him to their side. What better a tool for the Templars is there than turning the most influential and powerful Mage in the city to their cause? Vice versa for the Mages.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Pattonesque posted:

This is specifically why for my "canon" runs of DA1-3, even though I played a Human Male Mage who was radically Pro-Mage for the first two games, I decided to be a Female Elf Templar who was proud to be the Herald of Andraste in the third.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

You guys are really making me want to do my fourth run of DA2 but I only have DA2 on PC at the moment. I did all my other runs on my long gone PS3.

I tried playing DA2 on PC but...gently caress it's all so wrong.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Ginette Reno posted:

At that point both sides realize the influence Hawke wields in the city and try to persuade him to their side.

I don't quite get this point of view: what influence? Hawke gets some fancy armor and that's about it. The moment that sticks out most to me in Act 3 is when Mage Elf, Crazy Lady, Useless Nun, and Hawke are all gathered up while discussing the tense situation and when the question of "who should actually be in charge here" comes up, Hawke can volunteer to become Viscount, and Crazy Lady just says "lol no".

Great influence there.

drkeiscool fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 17, 2020

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

drkeiscool posted:

I don't quite get this point of view: what influence? Hawke gets some fancy armor and that's about it. The moment that sticks out most to me in Act 3 is when Mage Elf, Crazy Lady, Useless Nun, and Hawke are all gathered up while discussing the tense situation and when the question of "who should actually be in charge here" comes up, Hawke can volunteer to become Viscount, and Crazy Lady just says "lol no".

Great influence there.

Maybe its because Hawke and their posse seem to murderize the gently caress out of anyone that stands in their way. If you take DA2's encounter design literally Hawke can kill 30-50 people without breaking a sweat. Why go after them when you'll lose at least a company of troops in the process.

And if we take savescumming literally, Hawke has CHIM

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

VostokProgram posted:

Maybe its because Hawke and their posse seem to murderize the gently caress out of anyone that stands in their way. If you take DA2's encounter design literally Hawke can kill 30-50 people without breaking a sweat. Why go after them when you'll lose at least a company of troops in the process.

Okay, does the story of the game acknowledge this, outside of whatever obligatory winks a BioWare game does? I don't recall it doing that, am I mistaken?

That still doesn't answer my question, even. What influence does Hawke have?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

drkeiscool posted:

Great influence there.

You can get her to agree to that actually, Hawke can be viscount if he is friendly with the templars.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

drkeiscool posted:

Okay, does the story of the game acknowledge this, outside of whatever obligatory winks a BioWare game does? I don't recall it doing that, am I mistaken?

Hawke is outrageously wealthy thanks to the Deep Road expedition and got a ton of social cache from handling the Arishok

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

VostokProgram posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sa8CHfVk4IA

Isabela: Your death toll is approaching "natural disaster."

Anders: Another twenty steps, another batch of deaths.

Varric: I'll just call that group "enemies" and footnote it later.

Isabela: We had a short-lived drinking game based on how many enemies you have. It killed a man.

drkeiscool posted:

The influence of being the hero who saved the city from a Qunari invasion? All those Nobles gathered in the Keep were probably gonna be executed so Hawke single-handedly saved the lives of all of Kirkwall's elite.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
Okay, cool! So there’sa reasonable argument that Hawke has influence in Kirkwall!

What can you do with it?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
re: Hawke and co.'s murderousness:

party chatter posted:

Varric: Oh, cheer up, Blondie. You're making me cry just looking at you.
Anders: Don't.
Varric: You made a mistake. It happens.
Anders: I almost killed a girl.
Varric: You've killed two-hundred and fifty-four by my last count. Plus about five hundred men, a few dozen giant spiders, and at least two demons.
Anders: It's not the same.
Varric: Why? Because this one you feel bad about? Maybe that's the problem.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Pattonesque posted:

Hey. In my case it's a sarcastic blonde lesbian rogue.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Orsino and Meredith both have missions for Hawke in the Act 3 of the game, choosing one is foreshadowing which side you'll support or not support after the explosion if the player chooses. They are looking for the Champion's power, influence, and favor, and this will effect who you want to side with in the endgame.

Hawke is explicitly sought after to attend the Orlesian garden party as Champion by Tallis. That's because he's the only one with enough influence to actually intervene in the plot or whatever it was the Duke had planned. "You're the Champion, big, important!"

Sebastian Vael also has lines about relying on Hawke due to Hawke being Champion in his Act 3 scenes iirc.

Stop flipping out about DA2, lol. We know its a thin game because of circumstances we've already talked about but yes, the elements are there. Hawke is being actively courted and sought after during Act 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

HIJK posted:

Orsino and Meredith both have missions for Hawke in the Act 3 of the game, choosing one is foreshadowing which side you'll support or not support after the explosion if the player chooses. They are looking for the Champion's power, influence, and favor, and this will effect who you want to side with in the endgame.

Hawke is explicitly sought after to attend the Orlesian garden party as Champion by Tallis. That's because he's the only one with enough influence to actually intervene in the plot or whatever it was the Duke had planned. "You're the Champion, big, important!"

Sebastian Vael also has lines about relying on Hawke due to Hawke being Champion in his Act 3 scenes iirc.

Stop flipping out about DA2, lol. We know its a thin game because of circumstances we've already talked about but yes, the elements are there. Hawke is being actively courted and sought after during Act 3.

Okay, everyone tells you that you’re influential and are actively courting you for favor. What can you actually, concretely do with this influence? How can you affect the gameplay or the narrative of da2 with Hawke’s influence?