Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I thought his claim to fame was a tie between his chest piece and paralyzing Droz.
Don't forget being a human bobble-head.
The "What? Aw, shucks, thanks guys!" look on his face is priceless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
This is a topic that really deserves its own thread, but I always heard D'Lo Brown's theme as

You got the rail gun now! Woo!
Gonna kick your soggy rear end down the street,
Hahahaha.

EDIT: And the bit after that as "Hands on his feet!"

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Hedgehog Pie posted:

This is a topic that really deserves its own thread, but I always heard D'Lo Brown's theme as

You got the rail gun now! Woo!
Gonna kick your soggy rear end down the street,
Hahahaha.

EDIT: And the bit after that as "Hands on his feet!"

Whatcha gonna do about it? Bring it on?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I love that the birdshit logo was so bad that WCW magazine probably took one look at it, said "absolutely not," and had their graphic designer make a different one.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Hedgehog Pie posted:

What an awesome Horsemen line-up this could have been. Shame it didn't last long. :(

I think Benoit was announced in November 1995. Bookerman was February 1996. At least they had Starrcade and hitting Hogan with high heels.

RC and Moon Pie fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Mar 17, 2020

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

I love that the birdshit logo was so bad that WCW magazine probably took one look at it, said "absolutely not," and had their graphic designer make a different one.

Near the end it seemed like they were testing out new logos, probably would have had this for the relaunch had the Fusient sale gone off.

I'm halfway certain that McMahon gave the invasion WCW a lovely logo on purpose.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

If they tweaked the C it'd be a great logo.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

Which then was the logo used whenever they needed a Locker Room sign.

So you had the birdshit logo on almost everything else but any time there was a backstage locker room vignette there was the "newer" logo

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
When I read through this thread in its entirety, it seemed like one of its greatest triumphs was finally finding the birdshit ad (that and the Hogan raft).

Was it ever fully confirmed what that was all about? I'm guessing it was the usual WCW management crossed wires, where someone jokingly commented that the new logo looks like birdshit and this got taken up as the actual tagline.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I loved that Benoit/Pillman pairing for the few months it lasted with the Horsemen and I've always felt like that was a cruel tease of what it must have been like to see the Heyman when they were in their heyday and not odd mid card gimmicks with anchors like Mongo.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Shameful confession: I like Mongo. :negative: He was bad in the ring, but he had something. He wasn't hopeless on the mic, and most importantly, he carried himself like a star. If he hadn't been so beat up from the NFL and had started like 10 or 15 years earlier, he could have been somebody.

You may now laugh at me for my bad and wrong opinions.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't think Mongo was especially worse than a lot of Power Plant lower card guys. Like, I'm not gonna trash Mongo but praise the Renegade or Joe Gomez or High Voltage (I ironically loved High Voltage). And to some extent the fact that Mongo committed to the wrestling thing and got that adequate is probably a compliment to the guy. WWE hopes Gronk will get that far.

But the difference is Mongo wasn't some Saturday Night jobber like those guys. They put him with the Four Horsemen as the replacement for Pillman. So you get judged for where you're at.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
He fit into the Horsemen. :colbert: and the Nature Boy agrees with me. :colbert:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

He's probably right. I mean there's more Mongo and Paul Roma versions than not.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

The Four Horsemen is in so many ways the King Crimson of wrestling stables

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

mongo called out an umpire for sucking rear end and got himself ejected from a baseball game which in many ways is a lot better than current wrestlers tweeting out things that make them happy.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cavauro posted:

mongo called out an umpire for sucking rear end and got himself ejected from a baseball game which in many ways is a lot better than current wrestlers tweeting out things that make them happy.

lmao what

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The Cubs have a tradition of having a celebrity show up during the 7th inning stretch to lead the crowd in "Take Me Out To the Ballgame." Mongo (being a Superbowl champion for the Bears) did it one time and took his opportunity to chew out umpire Angel Hernandez for a bad call. Angel is an infamous umpire baseball fans hate so it became kind of iconic. Legend has it Angel was so upset he got Mongo ejected out of the booth/stadium but that seems to have been debunked in the years since as myth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laPjzqDFSGU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

STAC Goat posted:

The Cubs have a tradition of having a celebrity show up during the 7th inning stretch to lead the crowd in "Take Me Out To the Ballgame." Mongo (being a Superbowl champion for the Bears) did it one time and took his opportunity to chew out umpire Angel Hernandez for a bad call. Angel is an infamous umpire baseball fans hate so it became kind of iconic. Legend has it Angel was so upset he got Mongo ejected out of the booth/stadium but that seems to have been debunked in the years since as myth.

Mongo owns

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Mongo got fat but I definitely remember that voice.

Edit: Also Mongo put in more effort than David Flair.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

STAC Goat posted:

the tradition started as a tribute to Harry Caray who would lead the Cubs fans in singing the song during the seventh inning stretch (who himself had been cajoled into singing it when he then worked for the White Sox by owner Bill Veeck as a promotional stunt. This is the owner that also brought about Disco Demolition Night)

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Randaconda posted:

Shameful confession: I like Mongo. :negative: He was bad in the ring, but he had something. He wasn't hopeless on the mic, and most importantly, he carried himself like a star. If he hadn't been so beat up from the NFL and had started like 10 or 15 years earlier, he could have been somebody.

You may now laugh at me for my bad and wrong opinions.

Mongo was entertaining at everything that wasn't a match and his matches could be kind of funny so overall he was a 10/10.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

mongo's restaurant was the first place i ever saw a maga hat in the wild

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Super No Vacancy posted:

mongo's restaurant was the first place i ever saw a maga hat in the wild

Mongo would've voted for Bernie if you or oatgan met Mongo's challenge.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
What struck me about Mongo was that his offense was terrible, so even in his squashes it looked like he was getting whaled on until he whipped out the Tombstone and finished it. He never needed to be great, and if he'd had better fundamentals he really coulda been something. If he'd just stuck to squashes and being a hot tag for a better worker he woulda been fine.

I always thought he was funny bad, not cringeworthy bad. I don't even know why Dave Meltzer hated his wrestling so much that he'd break out the kinda fanboyish burns he used to reserve for guys like JYD. In the 90s I was a mark for the hardworking undercard. Looking back, I would much rather watch guys like Sid, Mongo, Goldberg, Vampiro, Wrath, etc. wrestle each other forever instead of the some of the adequate but totally dull guys WCW gave us.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Kevin Greene was the one NFL guy that was surprisingly good at wrestling. I guess if it had been after the end of his NFL career rather than during it, he might have made more of a go of it.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MrBling posted:

Kevin Greene was the one NFL guy that was surprisingly good at wrestling. I guess if it had been after the end of his NFL career rather than during it, he might have made more of a go of it.

He really wanted to but the Panthers said no

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

When Mongo first started, his offense looked exactly like an oldtimey undercard guy that no one bothered to smarten up. More potatoes than Dinty Moore Stew.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

coconono posted:

When Mongo first started, his offense looked exactly like an oldtimey undercard guy that no one bothered to smarten up. More potatoes than Dinty Moore Stew.

Terry Funk claims nobody smartened up Dory, Sr. until they got sick of him whipping prelim dudes asses.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Personality-wise, Mongo was a perfect Horseman.

He was also one of the guys who was around the ring for LT at WrestleMania that time.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Personality-wise, Mongo was a perfect Horseman.

He was also one of the guys who was around the ring for LT at WrestleMania that time.

He did commentary once too!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Mongo as the arrogant athlete who carried around the haliburtan of cash he was bought off with definitely was a very Horseman idea, as was him being yet another case of the Horsemen buying someone and screwing over the faces in a way that wasn't a fair fight.

Its just going from such a compelling character and good worker in Pillman to a rookie in Mongo that left a bad taste in my mouth. But of course Pillman is just a big tragic "What if?"

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Pillman's Apocalypse vs the Horsemen is one of the most intriguing what ifs.

It was pretty clearly going to be at least Pillman and Benoit vs Arn and Flair, but who else joins? Jericho has said Pillman wanted him and based on the storyline I could see Sullivan and Orndorff joining with Flair.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

Pillman's Apocalypse vs the Horsemen is one of the most intriguing what ifs.

It was pretty clearly going to be at least Pillman and Benoit vs Arn and Flair, but who else joins? Jericho has said Pillman wanted him and based on the storyline I could see Sullivan and Orndorff joining with Flair.

I think Eddy, Regal and Alex Wright were attached to it?

I DEFINITELY remember Debra approaching Alex wright during a promo and him walking off with her, and people saying that was related to the angle somehow

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I think Eddy, Regal and Alex Wright were attached to it?

I DEFINITELY remember Debra approaching Alex wright during a promo and him walking off with her, and people saying that was related to the angle somehow

I don't think she was even a character until after Pillman's accident.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My memory is that Debra turned on Mongo and went with Jarrett, was managing Alex Wright, and briefly managed Eddie Guerrero. And that was rumored to be the thing.

And that seemed to sort of mix with the long rumors of "Apocalypse" that often mentioned Benoit, Eddie, Regal, and Dean Malenko.

And I guess there's rumors about it back to Pillman that include Jericho?

So I imagine its just like a whole mix of rumors and ideas. Pillman's seems like WCW Hart Foundation. Benoit's is basically that Revolution/Radicalz/Triple Threat group who bounced around ECW, NJPW, WCW, and WWE. Debra's group was just the group that existed that kind of fit the idea. Maybe it started with Pillman, lingered as an idea through Benoit, and seemed like it might be happening with Debra. And there's probably a lot of confused memory and crossed over ideas.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

STAC Goat posted:

My memory is that Debra turned on Mongo and went with Jarrett, was managing Alex Wright, and briefly managed Eddie Guerrero. And that was rumored to be the thing.

And that seemed to sort of mix with the long rumors of "Apocalypse" that often mentioned Benoit, Eddie, Regal, and Dean Malenko.

And I guess there's rumors about it back to Pillman that include Jericho?

So I imagine its just like a whole mix of rumors and ideas. Pillman's seems like WCW Hart Foundation. Benoit's is basically that Revolution/Radicalz/Triple Threat group who bounced around ECW, NJPW, WCW, and WWE. Debra's group was just the group that existed that kind of fit the idea. Maybe it started with Pillman, lingered as an idea through Benoit, and seemed like it might be happening with Debra. And there's probably a lot of confused memory and crossed over ideas.

Yes, Debra started managing Alex Wright later on, fall of 97 I think. I think she gave Goldberg Mongo's Superbowl ring too.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I did a quick search and this kind of feels like the closest thing to it starting to come together. But I don't think there was ever any real follow through. I think maybe Jarrett left for WWF soon after?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOra3nshTfw

It might have been totally separate from the Pillman/Benoit "Apocalypse" stuff though and maybe its just something I connected because I was waiting for that anti-Horsemen group.

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

MrBling posted:

I read somewhere years ago that Kevin Greene absolutely "got" wrestling on an instinctual level and would have been a huge star if he went into that instead of football.

But a Hall of Fame career isn't too bad, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Somewhere I own a Kevin Greene Starting Lineup figure just because he sold me on himself against the Horsemen.