Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
DOOM ANIMAL CROSSING MARCH TWENTIETH
This poll is closed.
DOOM 39 13.36%
ANIMAL CROSSING 41 14.04%
DOOM ANIMAL CROSSING 84 28.77%
Melinda Megamelons and her gang of busty felons (Inc Bowsette) 56 19.18%
hotgirl69 72 24.66%
Total: 292 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

oddium posted:

stux playing prime: cor me controlly's knackered oi only gots one stick

brave of you to do this when you cant aim a right analog stick... you have chosen death t his day i suppose... i take no joy in this [i remove my katana from its sword house, and also its a lightsaber too]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

this is called bullet time

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i know

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

yeah me too

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the metroids i've played are 1, 2, super, fusion, and prime 3 and of those super is good, 1 is repetitive but interesting as the initial game in the series and therefore its progenitor, prime 3 is extremely bland and i have nothing else positive or negative to say about it, 2 i don't remember much of besides just going around in circles because all the rooms on the gameboy looked identical, and fusion was so excruciatingly linear and hand holdy it was definitely the worst i've played

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i love metroid prime 2, i will not apologize for this

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

fusion is good

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

my neck hurts a bit probably from where i slept on it wrong but in case this is the first symptom of my impending coronavirus death i will confess:

i've never played a metroid OR a castlevania game

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
also fusion and zero mission are both better than super because of the physics improvements but whenever i get around to playing a super hack that fixes the floatiness i'll probably change my mind on it

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

super physics are superior

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

thats why its called super

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

were fusion's "physics improvements" the feature that made it so you couldn't wall jump up a single wall because i'll tell you where you can shove your "physics improvements"

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

good things about metroid fusion:
fusion suit
sa-x
cool bosses

bad:
too linear
adam

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

in the trash!!!

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Looper posted:

Def flawed (map design, layout and backtracking, overly long in sections, etc) but all three of the Primes kick rear end and I'm dying for a remake on the Switch.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

were fusion's "physics improvements" the feature that made it so you couldn't wall jump up a single wall because i'll tell you where you can shove your "physics improvements"

broken wall jumps

being able to grab a ledge

choose one

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

fusion is the natural evolution of taking the cinematic nature of super to the next level, which while cool doesn't give me the replayability that super has and resulted in a ton of pointless dialog.

i like both

everything other than m and maybe the weird spinoffs was good tbh (and the weird spinoffs were probably mostly fine if you were down for weird spinoffs)

Looper posted:

broken wall jumps

choose one

i take the walljumps because then i never need ledges.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Looper posted:

broken wall jumps

choose one

easy, broken wall jumps

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

fusion is the most fun, zero mission has the best "world feel"

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Propaganda Hour posted:

Def flawed (map design, layout and backtracking, overly long in sections, etc) but all three of the Primes kick rear end and I'm dying for a remake on the Switch.

Me too, I'm so hoping something will happen soon.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

y'know what i am willing to bet

i bet all of these games you're discussing are probably pretty good

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Looper posted:

broken wall jumps

choose one

broken wall jumps 1000% this isnt even a question

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
walljumps in super feel super awful!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

Doom Eternal levels are supposed to be more doomy and less a string of arenas, so I'm excited for that.
i hope so

doom2016 did not really feel at all like doom, especially in its level design. i appeciated the speed of the game but it didn't encourage much exploration and then in the back half there wasn't anything to explore, just a bunch of straight lines like if final fantasy 13 was a shooter

but until dusk came out, the retro FPS category was really dire. i remember playing wrack and wondering how a game could be so boring. and hard reset sucked, and then shadow warrior 2013 sucked more. i haven't even bothered with shadow warrior 2

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Mar 17, 2020

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

theyre insanely good

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Stux posted:

i actually havnt played 1 and have been looking at that myself

I bought it on release day and it was really fun. Probably takes about 4-5 hours to finish if I remember correctly, and it has a really cool lucid dream quality. There is also a post-game with an unusual item that I don't want to spoil :)

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Whoa Nuclear Throne is 90% off on steam, just picked it up for about 90p :stare:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Convex posted:

Whoa Nuclear Throne is 90% off on steam, just picked it up for about 90p :stare:

https://twitter.com/Vlambeer/status/1239975635696513025?s=20

although a friend pointed out that nuclear throne was epic games store's freebie of the month recently so it's not the cheapest nuclear throne has ever been

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

there are also free games on itch.io including a couple that were on my wishlist at one point or another

like pipe push paradise, macbat 64, ASA: a space adventure, 0N 0W, and a lot of walky sims

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Rip and tear, but be sure to call your loved ones if you're quarantined

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
I have very fond memories of Shadow Warrior 2013 because after playing it for a bit, cutting down enemies, it made me feel I should really try Metal Gear Rising instead and that turned out to be an excellent decision.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Looper posted:

Prime 2 rules

https://youtu.be/VEVQ6JxQFr4

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I didn’t like that Metroid Fusion has permanent body horror as part of the core plot. Samus will never be able to take her suit off again. That thought messed me up at release and I still don’t think I’m comfortable with it.

I like Nioh 2 because I think it’s a really well made action rpg and I like the fast action. I also think it’s a little disingenuous to compare Sekiro, where you play as a Shinobi, and Nioh, where you play as a samurai, in terms of how quickly the player moves. Sekiro also has like 5 normal attacks and Nioh has 6 openers for each of the 9 weapon types plus a sphere grid full of new moves for each type.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

she takes it off at the end op

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Chev posted:

I have very fond memories of Shadow Warrior 2013 because after playing it for a bit, cutting down enemies, it made me feel I should really try Metal Gear Rising instead and that turned out to be an excellent decision.

I liked it a lot at the time, but I think going back to that now after Doom 2016, Dusk, and Amid Evil would just make it feel pretty lame. Same with a lot of the attempted throwback FPS' at that time like Hard Reset, Wrack, Bulletstorm.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah never say never when Federation medicine is basically magic and does whatever is necessary for the game gimmick. She goes through the same oh-no-you’re-too-infested-with-alien-crap-to-cure-whoops-there-it-goes-thanks-mcguffin arc in Prime 3 which is chronologically before Fusion.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i think the opening scene surgery stuff is because she's unconscious from the wreck. but she can take it off whenever

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

LawfulWaffle posted:

I didn’t like that Metroid Fusion has permanent body horror as part of the core plot. Samus will never be able to take her suit off again. That thought messed me up at release and I still don’t think I’m comfortable with it.

Speaking of body horrors.

https://twitter.com/DeckoDecks/status/1240024565880946688

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

oddium posted:

she takes it off at the end op

think you mean cutie honey op, op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Huh Tom nook is an outie