Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Drunkboxer posted:

But I must

no you can just watch new

a vanishingly small number of movies are worth rewatching

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Thanks for recommending God Told Me To, that third act was a head trip

The original Dawn is such a great movie to rewatch because it almost feels episodic. You have the section in the projects, travelling in the helicopter, scouting the mall, locking everything down/the trucks, depression setting in, then the biker invasion. You can just drop out and stop paying attention, and then pick it back up and be in another little self-contained drama.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Iron Crowned posted:

What's wrong with you people? Haven't you ever heard of music?

yea, i got like 1,600 records in my place currently, but sometimes you want some visuals. It also reminds me of having TBS or Comedy Central on when they're showing movies and you're cleaning while you have something on just to have it on. And since I'm a millenial that's killed broadcast television I still have a soft spot for it.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Franchescanado posted:

If anyone is bored and into graphic design, how about spending some time whipping up a Horror Thread Spook-a-Doodle gang tag? Best design will be used and distributed.

edit: The height should preferably be 50 pixels high at most.

:nallears: graphic design is my passion

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Iron Crowned posted:

I’ve been listening to the contagion score and Doom 2016 store every time I have to go outside.

It owns.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

COOL CORN posted:

how do i get this in my av

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Kvlt! posted:

you bug fran about it because my entry is clearly the winner

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

The Suspiria soundtrack is p good

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

COOL CORN posted:

Ooooh! Nice!

Kvlt! posted:

Oh nothing major

You just have to renounce all love for Rob Zombie and bow to your savior Wan Flanagan Blumhouse Jr.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’d like to take a crack at a design

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

ruddiger posted:

The Suspiria soundtrack is p good

I prefer deep red

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVUXb1BaX7w

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

Feel free to. There's plenty of time for people to make some and pick their fave.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Watch the audio visual aid version of the Exorcist. It's loving intense.

If you don't know what that is it's a audio description of what is occuring on screen for people who are blind and or hard of sight

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Tenebrae is still my favorite. It really kicks rear end at Halloween parties.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Franchescanado posted:

Tenebrae is still my favorite. It really kicks rear end at Halloween parties.

Did you watch my video??

It's a Deep Red rap live featuring Claudio Simonetti???

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Our gang tag should crawl out of our post space and kill over posters avs.

Make that happen Fran!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

COOL CORN posted:

Did you watch my video??

It's a Deep Red rap live featuring Claudio Simonetti???

Oh! I just thought you were posting the excellent Deep Red theme. I'll watch it when I get home. Can't really listen to YouTube at work.

MacheteZombie posted:

Our gang tag should crawl out of our post space and kill over posters avs.

Make that happen Fran!

:hmmyes:

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

I've always liked the Zombie Flesh Eaters theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrrwonL5UVU

e: That was beautiful
vvvvvv

Debbie Does Dagon fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Mar 17, 2020

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Oh, by the way, here's a short film for St. Patrick's day.

It's a spooky-adjacent animated short film by Irish filmmaker Alan Holly, Coda

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CelticPredator posted:

I'll take what he's seving

Oh, question who here has seen Slithis. This will determine how many words I will end up writing

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Hail Sithis!

wait

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Burkion posted:

Oh, question who here has seen Slithis. This will determine how many words I will end up writing

To no one in this thread's surprise, I have.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

M_Sinistrari posted:

To no one in this thread's surprise, I have.

You and me, all the way

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

I'm not sure if it was mentioned in this thread, but it bears repeating:

Shudder is offering a free one-month trial with promo code "SHUTIN" and I'm sure there's a dozen people in this thread that can offer recommendations.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Just in the process of transferring all my media files to a NAS, put on dream warriors to test that Plex was working and ended up watching the whole movie.

Goddamn that’s a good movie

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

holy poo poo

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Sarchasm posted:

I'm not sure if it was mentioned in this thread, but it bears repeating:

Shudder is offering a free one-month trial with promo code "SHUTIN" and I'm sure there's a dozen people in this thread that can offer recommendations.

Gonna homeschool my kids by making them watch Audition during quarantine.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Slithis is available on Tubi, for those curious to check it out. It's...sure something. Made in the late 70s, it wears its decade on its sleeve. For those curious, it's an early creature feature that works as a, then, modern take on the monster movies of the 40s and 50s, with its most obvious pedigree being the ever wonderful and fabulous 1971 ZAAT, which is this movie but far more endearing. And, possibly, better? Hard to call really. Slithis had a budget of a hundred big ones and every bit of that money is on the screen.

And by that I mean the monster suit looks pretty decent and they rented a boat. It's a movie without a single actor to its name, but boy do they have that boat. The Slithis looks superior to Zaat, but looks aren't everything sadly. Up front, this movie is a confusing mess of a thing that feels like its so close to having a message or making a point but ultimately just...doesn't.

Like there's this running mild conspiracy of the police covering up big business corruption and themes of the underclass being trampled on and forgotten in favor of the rich and white. There's this whole subplot with two homeless men that feels like it belongs in an entirely different film, and the main character is something else entirely. Ah but who is the main character, you ask. Is it the boring rear end whitebread lead we're stuck with for most of the run time of the film? Nay, I say.

Is it Slithis himself? Unlike Zaat, this too is folly. No, the main character of this film is the best actor of the 1970s and possibly ever, my new favorite person in existence, Mello Alexandria. Boy, I hope he's not actually a murderer or something. That would make this whole thing really, really sad. Mello is primarily known, as much as you could use that word to define his work, as a stunt man and dancer. But for this film my main man is a boat captain, and possibly the single worst actor of the whole show. Every line he says is awkward and stilted in JUST the right way that it wraps back around to being amazing and I love it. I love him.

He only appears late in the film, but he is without a doubt the star player. Every moment with him reveals his bewildering performance of a man who's more bemused at racist cops and a broken system than anything else, and comes off as the least convincing soul brother since The Guy From Harlem. Yet he owns it all the same and drops the VERY rare Not Racist N-Word in a 1970s film. He and his white bread boyfriend get into a knock down drag out brawl with the Slithis on the most holy Boat, and he's the one who lands the killing blow. It's

So almost awesome. I could explain the physical actions they do and let you imagine something infinitely cooler than what was done. I can say factually that as the screaming beast of fish and man meat tries to flay Mello's skin from his bones, he strikes the monster just as his friend spears it from behind. I can explain how he expends round after round of his trusted shotgun before butting the monster. I can describe him stabbing the mutant meat eater with his knife as the other spears it from behind. And even how he impales it with the anchor, ending the fight once and for all.

I can TELL you all of those things, and that they did in fact happen. But nothing I tell you can describe how utterly they are ruined by bad camera work and ungodly, unnecessary slow-mo. The big money shot of both men striking the monster from the front and the back simultaneously is destroyed by the camera deciding RIGHT THEN to get a nice beauty shot of the boat, keeping most of the actual stunt work juuuuuust off frame. It's so very nearly the Clown Beat Down from the 2017 IT, but it never gets to reach those heights.

Instead we're left with a very strange film, whose legacy is a sequel that would have been better if it had ever been allowed to exist. Better because Mello would have stepped up to the plate as THE leading man, going on a revenge trip against the still alive Slithis for killing his crew he hated and his boyfriend he didn't like. And that is a travesty.

What is the Slithis by the by? Who loving cares says I. A man with half of his face covered by mashed potatoes tells us the Slithis is made of bullshit radioactive magic farted out by evil governments and big business and who am I to argue with a man with half his face covered by mashed potatoes?

Slithis- come for the lovely fish man horror that all happens off screen, stay for Mello Alexandria the best dude to ever exist.

You had one starring role man, and you nailed it. If only in my heart, you are King. All hail!

Oh also dogs get murdered a LOT.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Man Transylvania 6-5000 is not very good, but Geena Davis sure is pretty

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

What the gently caress ever I'll watch Slithis why not.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hollismason posted:

What the gently caress ever I'll watch Slithis why not.

report back!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Edit : Never mind I found it. Will report back

Title Card is Spawn of the Slithis so hopefully this is the right one.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Mar 18, 2020

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://tubitv.com/movies/469274/slithis

Does this link work?

EDIT: Ah, good! I'll keep this here for anyone else who dares challenge the Slithis

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Hail Satan

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Well, the word came down from Corporate. We're closed for the next six weeks at this point. I'm guaranteed my job when this is over and they're going to pay me during the downtime an average of my last four paychecks on the pay periods to come. I was also given the State numbers if I happen to need additional assistance.

So now it's just work on my tan and watch more movies until my eyes bleed.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

I am considered essential staff in my underground government laboratory and this thread will be the first to know if we wind up with a 245 trioxin situation.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

AKZ posted:

I am considered essential staff in my underground government laboratory and this thread will be the first to know if we wind up with a 245 trioxin situation.

I'M RUNNING THIS MONKEY FARM NOW, FRANKENSTEIN, AND I WANNA KNOW WHAT THE gently caress YOU'VE BEEN DOING WITH MY TIME!!!!!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Slithis

Whoooo. Yeah so this is some bottom tier C movie fodder. No nudity , not a lot of gore, but there's effort charm in the film where you can tell the actors are really giving it all they loving got. Unfortunately other than a few people ( Sexy Boat Captain, Police Chief, Cake Face) what they got is not a lot. It's got a good creature suit though and its thankfully brisk. There's not a lot of kills at all though and there's minimum gore which is a negative also again NO NUDITY. Which you'd expect in something like this but there it is.

Its got enough going on to be a funny movie to laugh at with your friends and make fun of. The Police Chief scene is probably the highlight because I guess the actors direction was " Act like you done a bunch of coke and have a mental disorder"

Overall decent enough for a C Movie.

I will say unlike other films of this type it looks great, like video quality wise its not grainy o out of focus.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Mar 18, 2020

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

I'M RUNNING THIS MONKEY FARM NOW, FRANKENSTEIN, AND I WANNA KNOW WHAT THE gently caress YOU'VE BEEN DOING WITH MY TIME!!!!!

When I saw Day of the Dead at the New Bev, Joe Pilato was a special guest and he said the line. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
There is actually ONE breast in the film. The monster tears open that girl's shirt, then artfully covers up her boobs after he's done tearing her guts out.