Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

pseudanonymous posted:

PKD had mental illness problems exacerbated by serious drug use. I doubt he had a clear confidence in there being a single observable reality.

I feel every second book of his I read had a drug that changed the world when you take it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
My favourite PKD novel is A Scanner Darkly.

(Also he rrrrrrreally shone in the short story format.)

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

genericnick posted:

I feel every second book of his I read had a drug that changed the world when you take it.

And the ones that didn't had people who realized the world was a lie and they and/or everyone was a robot.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

anilEhilated posted:

Oh, I've read them too, but they are a lot weaker compared to the later ones and may discourage a potential reader off Discworld.

When I read TCOM and TLF for the first time, there weren't any other Discworld books to read. The best reason to start people with those two is because while they're fun, the series does nothing but get better until it peaks some time around Maskerade.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

pseudanonymous posted:

PKD had mental illness problems exacerbated by serious drug use. I doubt he had a clear confidence in there being a single observable reality.

See also VALIS, where he declares that all of human history between the crucifixion of Christ and Richard Nixon's resignation is somehow a fake, perpetrated by a conspiracy and/or mental virus called the Black Iron Prison.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

PKD also had some thoughts about Stanislaw Lem. From Lem's wiki page:

quote:

Lem singled out only one American science fiction writer for praise, Philip K. Dick, in a 1984 English-language anthology of his critical essays, Microworlds: Writings on Science Fiction and Fantasy. Lem had initially held a low opinion of Philip K. Dick (as he did for the bulk of American science fiction) and would later claim that this was due to a limited familiarity with Dick's work.

Dick, who had mental health problems, maintained that Stanisław Lem was probably a false name used by a composite committee operating on orders of the Communist party to gain control over public opinion, and wrote a letter to the FBI to that effect.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Related, "The Religious Experience of Philip K. Dick" by Robert Crumb

https://www.philipkdickfans.com/resources/miscellaneous/the-religious-experience-of-philip-k-dick-by-r-crumb-from-weirdo-17/

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
I'm loving the PKD chat but he didn't die suddenly of anything.

It was protracted, they new he was dying and got an early print of Blade Runner for him to watch on his death bed.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

a foolish pianist posted:

PKD also had some thoughts about Stanislaw Lem. From Lem's wiki page:

IIRC part of this was because Lem had done a unauthorized (?) translation of Ubik to Polish and due to geopolitical stuff PKD was only paid royalties in Polish Zlotys, which from what I can find were worth 0.0003 of a dollar in 1975. And at the time Lem was also getting himself thrown out of the SFWA for subjecting western authors to literary criticism/saying they wrote bad.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

quantumfoam posted:

Steel Frame was very good for a first time author, however I feel Steel Frame got hamfisted and pretty deus ex machina'y towards the 80% mark.

Alastair Reynolds repeatedly falls back onto "spaceship chase" as a framing device or content filler in a-lot of his stories.
Sometimes it's the basis of the entire story or book series (Galactic North, Revenger series, Chasm City, etc just to name a few) or it will occur multiple times in a series or book. Skim some of his stories, once you notice it, it is hard not to see, like the Fedex logo arrow.

Reynolds House of Suns and Redemption Ark both have it happening multiple times in-book. House of Suns wins out though, because in addition to alot of content-filler, it happens 3 times in-book to the same loving character.

Redemption Ark's spaceship chase is loving great.

Not a chase, but the similar near-relativistic battle in the second Poseidon's Children book is also really neat.

He certainly has his tropes though, no doubt. Spaceship chases, AI Ghosts in the machine, clones.....

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Existence by David Brin - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0079XPMQS/

How Long 'til Black Future Month by NK Jemisin - $3.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FSLQXY8/

Supposedly Redshirts by John Scalzi is the Tor free ebook, but the page is currently down.
https://ebookclub.tor.com/

Fumblemouse
Mar 21, 2013

STANDARD
DEVIANT
Grimey Drawer

sebmojo posted:

I really liked going postal, and both thud and wintersmith (which came after) are excellent imo.

I think Going Postal and Thud were when when Pratchett's jokes started getting thin enough that his rigidly formualaic approach to plot kept poking through. Maybe I'd just read too many of them by that stage, but the Tiffany Aching series just seemed so much more fun in tone and (relatively) creative in structure that I remember them much more fondly.

mewse
May 2, 2006

pradmer posted:

Supposedly Redshirts by John Scalzi is the Tor free ebook, but the page is currently down.
https://ebookclub.tor.com/

Came here to ask if this is good, haven't read anything by Scalzi

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

mewse posted:

Kind of a lame premise with a decent twist. Worth a read for free.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I liked the spaceship chase scenes in the Revelation Space trilogy. Especially with the wack rear end inertia-suppressing tech.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

pradmer posted:

How Long 'til Black Future Month by NK Jemisin - $3.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FSLQXY8/

Buy this book ! Buy this book !

There are some amazing short stories in this collection, both magical reality and science fiction. Jemisin's novels earned her her reputation, the shorts solidify it.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Groke posted:

I've read a few of his novels and didn't really like any of them, but absolutely loved his short story "Faith of our Fathers."

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

freebooter posted:

I've read a few of his novels and didn't really like any of them, but absolutely loved his short story "Faith of our Fathers."

I was a huge fan of Blade Runner (seen it a hundred times) and then I learned he was a crazy madman.

And I read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep one time

It wasn’t the same thing but it was better

But I kept looking for someone to say this

quote:

But A Scanner Darkly is more autobiographical than most. For the 1977 novel, Dick drew on his early-’70s experiences hanging out with teenage drug addicts while his own addiction worsened. Like Richard Linklater’s film, it’s ostensibly set in the future, but it sometimes reads like a documentary portrait of post-hippie burnouts: the circular conversations, the paranoia, the sense that freedom had become kind of terrifying, and the drugs had stopped being fun. Linklater’s film keeps part of Dick’s poignant epilogue—one of the most remarkable, and least fantastic, passages in any of his books—in which he eulogizes those lost or damaged by drugs. And Barris, played in the film by Robert Downey Jr., aptly sums up the spirit of an age in which most of a generation decided to push the frontiers of chemical experimentation with no oversight: “We’re all canaries in the coal mine on this one.”

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

mewse posted:

It wasn’t bad but I liked old man’s war better in terms of scalzi books.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Fumblemouse posted:

I think Going Postal and Thud were when when Pratchett's jokes started getting thin enough that his rigidly formualaic approach to plot kept poking through. Maybe I'd just read too many of them by that stage, but the Tiffany Aching series just seemed so much more fun in tone and (relatively) creative in structure that I remember them much more fondly.

Yeah, they were a breath of fresh air.
Pratchett remembered to that it was ok to have lighter humor.
That is one reason why I like TCoM and the early books since they were more wild in a sense.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

mewse posted:

It only makes sense if you're a Star Trek nerd and think you'd like a book that is basically an excuse to mock it.

Then it goes all Last Action Hero by having the characters break the 4th wall and journey to the real world to ask the show writers to be better writers, because those senseless deaths suck.

Agent to the Stars is my favorite Scalzi book, but the Old Man's War series was fun, too.

mewse
May 2, 2006

biracial bear for uncut posted:

It only makes sense if you're a Star Trek nerd and think you'd like a book that is basically an excuse to mock it.

Then it goes all Last Action Hero by having the characters break the 4th wall and journey to the real world to ask the show writers to be better writers, because those senseless deaths suck.

Agent to the Stars is my favorite Scalzi book, but the Old Man's War series was fun, too.

Yeesh. I'll give it a shot, thanks for the replies everyone

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

C.M. Kruger posted:

IIRC part of this was because Lem had done a unauthorized (?) translation of Ubik to Polish and due to geopolitical stuff PKD was only paid royalties in Polish Zlotys, which from what I can find were worth 0.0003 of a dollar in 1975. And at the time Lem was also getting himself thrown out of the SFWA for subjecting western authors to literary criticism/saying they wrote bad.

Add in that Lem's review-commentaries of PKD's Ubik(reprinted in Lem's Microwolds collection) was so in depth you really don't need to read/buy Ubik afterwards. For a paranoic like PKD, those reviews by a dude behind the Iron Curtain while PKD's work was mostly ignored by mainstream critics in the US/Europe was conspiracy fuel x5.

Junkenstein posted:

Redemption Ark's spaceship chase is loving great.
Want to say there was 3.5 separate spaceship chases in Redemption Ark, 2 chase sequences with Clavain, 1.5 chase sequences with the Rust Belt freighter captain.
Which spaceship chase you are talking about? This is made worse retrospectively to me because in return we got 5 pages combined about 2 different "Clavain's army of hyperPigs assault a lighthugger in space" sequences in Redemption Ark.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The thing about PKD's son's hernia is spooky as gently caress.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

TOOT BOOT posted:

The thing about PKD's son's hernia is spooky as gently caress.

Right?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Scorpio and the hyperpigs own

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Jedit posted:

When I read TCOM and TLF for the first time, there weren't any other Discworld books to read. The best reason to start people with those two is because while they're fun, the series does nothing but get better until it peaks some time around Maskerade.

I read them in publication order starting in the early 90s.

I remember skipping school to buy the Discworld adventure game on floppy disk.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

branedotorg posted:

I read them in publication order starting in the early 90s.

I remember skipping school to buy the Discworld adventure game on floppy disk.

Same, except I started in the late 80s (whenever Wyrd Sisters came out) and backfilled the ones before that in completely random order (i.e. whichever order I could find them in).

I had previously tried and quite failed to get anywhere in the Colour of Magic text adventure game on the C64 but at the time I didn't even realize it was based on a book.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Groke posted:

The biggest only problem with the movie adaptation of A Scanner Darkly is that it doesn't have space for the entire authors note from the end of the novel, which is one of my favourite pieces of writing.

quote:

This has been a novel about some people who were punished entirely too much for what they did. They wanted to have a good time, but they were like children playing in the street; they could see one after another of them being killed–run over, maimed, destroyed–but they continued to play anyhow. We really all were very happy for a while, sitting around not toiling but just bullshitting and playing, but it was for such a terrible brief time, and then the punishment was beyond belief: even when we could see it, we could not believe it. For example, while I was writing this I learned that the person on whom the character Jerry Fabin is based killed himself. My friend on whom I based the character Ernie Luckman died before I began the novel. For a while I myself was one of these children playing in the street; I was, like the rest of them, trying to play instead of being grown up, and I was punished. I am on the list below, which is a list of those to whom this novel is dedicated, and what became of each.

Drug misuse is not a disease, it is a decision, like the decision to step out in front of a moving car. You would call that not a disease but an error in judgment. When a bunch of people begin to do it, it is a social error, a life-style. In this particular life-style the motto is “Be happy now because tomorrow you are dying,” but the dying begins almost at once, and the happiness is a memory. It is, then, only a speeding up, an intensifying, of the ordinary human existence. It is not different from your life-style, it is only faster. It all takes place in days or weeks or months instead of years. “Take the cash and let the credit go,” as Villon said in 1460. But that is a mistake if the cash is a penny and the credit a whole lifetime.

There is no moral in this novel; it is not bourgeois; it does not say they were wrong to play when they should have toiled; it just tells what the consequences were. In Greek drama they were beginning, as a society, to discover science, which means causal law. Here in this novel there is Nemesis: not fate, because any one of us could have chosen to stop playing in the street, but, as I narrate from the deepest part of my life and heart, a dreadful Nemesis for those who kept on playing. I myself, I am not a character in this novel; I am the novel. So, though, was our entire nation at this time. This novel is about more people than I knew personally. Some we all read about in the newspapers. It was, this sitting around with our buddies and bullshitting while making tape recordings, the bad decision of the decade, the sixties, both in and out of the establishment. And nature cracked down on us. We were forced to stop by things dreadful.

If there was any “sin,” it was that these people wanted to keep on having a good time forever, and were punished for that, but, as I say, I feel that, if so, the punishment was far too great, and I prefer to think of it only in a Greek or morally neutral way, as mere science, as deterministic impartial cause-and-effect. I loved them all. Here is the list, to whom I dedicate my love:

To Gaylene… deceased
To Ray… deceased
To Francy… permanent psychosis
To Kathy… permanent brain damage
To Jim… deceased
To Val… massive permanent brain damage
To Nancy… permanent psychosis
To Joanne… permanent brain damage
To Maren… deceased
To Nick… deceased
To Terry… deceased
To Dennis… deceased
To Phil… permanent pancreatic damage
To Sue… permanent vascular damage
To Jerri… permanent psychosis and vascular damage

. . . and so forth.

In Memoriam. These were comrades whom I had; there are no better. They remain in my mind, and the enemy will never be forgiven. The “enemy” was their mistake in playing. Let them all play again, in some other way, and let them be happy.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The biggest only problem with the movie adaptation of A Scanner Darkly is that it doesn't have space for the entire authors note from the end of the novel, which is one of my favourite pieces of writing.

But the abbreviated note goes real well with that Radiohead song.

But also thanks for posting the long form.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

mewse posted:

Yeesh. I'll give it a shot, thanks for the replies everyone

Having Will Wheaton narrate the audio book was an inspired bit of meta humor, though. It gets points for that.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Tor fixed the redshirts download around mid-day

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
The Black Prism (Lightbringer #1) by Brent Weeks - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003JTHY76/

Semiosis by Sue Burke - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071RXVGGB/

If you haven't heard of any of the sale books and have forum search you can usually find some opinions if you do a title or author search in the book barn subforum. That's what I do for books on sale that I don't know.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
https://mobile.twitter.com/Thebookdad1/status/1240305601986449408

Lots of authors putting out free or cheap ebooks for the quarantine.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Are there any good virus/pandemic/apocalypse books people would recommend?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

shrike82 posted:

Doomsday Book, you’ll cry

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

shrike82 posted:

The Ghost Map: The Story of London's Most Terrifying Epidemic – and How it Changed Science, Cities and the Modern World

It gets a bit off-topic near the end, but is overall a solid read on living through a horror pre-modern science.

e: wait poo poo this isn't the book rec thread, uh, hang on let me see if I know of any genre-fiction plague stuff. How do you feel about zombies?

e2: World War Z is a boring rec but it's a genuinely good book! The first half of it where the infection is spreading and countries are freaking out is some really classic zombie horror and I enjoyed it a lot.

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Mar 19, 2020

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

shrike82 posted:

Station Eleven is really good.

I kept yelling at the author "you're getting the pandemic wrong"

But she writes good and interesting characters.

And there is going to be an HBO movie/series

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

shrike82 posted:

A Canticle for Leibowitz

and the Rifters trilogy by Peter Watts is pretty good too, though not as good as Blindsight.

pseudanonymous fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Mar 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

shrike82 posted:

Top 5:
The Stand
Parable of the Sower
The Andromeda Strain
Earth Abides
Station Eleven

Bonus

The Road (not really a pandemic book)
The hot zone

Zombie apocalypse books are cheating or I’d recommend The Passage.

buffalo all day fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Mar 19, 2020