Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
from what I heard, TTG really inadvertently threw Roar under the bus in their botched attempt the defend it

Here's an interesting fact: the guy who was head writer/co-showrunner on the 2011 Thundercats series ended up going on to be co-showrunner on Teen Titans Go (and wrote the Teen Titans Roar crossover)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I just watched it and it was pretty hamhanded. I mean, TTG has done plenty of "lol a lot of people hate us" gags and/or episodes and they're never really subtle but I guess it worked better because in those cases they were never directly about an actual cartoon. I did like Beast Boy mocking the mouth shapes, which I guess is as close as they could get to repeatedly yelling about CalArts without making the joke completely inscrutable to anyone not extremely online.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
It wasn't so much hamfisted as it was the entire pig.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Mar 17, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
There's nothing more obnoxious than obviously insincere self-depreciation.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

SlothfulCobra posted:

I can only see them getting together if it involved both of them using eachother, probably robbing the other and leaving in the dead of night.

Well from what I recall, Stan's ex-wife literally married him in Vegas as a ruse to steal his car later that day, so that tracks.

Apparently a lot of this is coming from the Grunkle Stan Commenatry on the Gravity Falls Blu-Ray, so I can't speak to its actual validity.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm watching through Kim Possible after beating one of the ps2 games because the villains are a lot of fun and I never really saw much of it, a few scattered episodes and the movies. Just got to Adrena Lynn's episode, which was fun.

I quite like the character of Monty Fisk/Monkeyfist because he is completely like a monkey when it comes to his behaviour, in that he seems calm at first but is randomly destructive for no reason, and flies off the handle at the slightest scent of confrontation, (even when it's just Kim and Ron returning with follow up questions having no idea what he's up to, he outs himself in a massive fit thinking they are on to him) but to go with his unpredictability he can chill out as quickly as he got enraged if the right sound is heard, putting him in a meditative state. He's a total weirdo in a brilliant way that totally fits his theme.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm watching through Kim Possible after beating one of the ps2 games because the villains are a lot of fun and I never really saw much of it, a few scattered episodes and the movies. Just got to Adrena Lynn's episode, which was fun.

I quite like the character of Monty Fisk/Monkeyfist because he is completely like a monkey when it comes to his behaviour, in that he seems calm at first but is randomly destructive for no reason, and flies off the handle at the slightest scent of confrontation, (even when it's just Kim and Ron returning with follow up questions having no idea what he's up to, he outs himself in a massive fit thinking they are on to him) but to go with his unpredictability he can chill out as quickly as he got enraged if the right sound is heard, putting him in a meditative state. He's a total weirdo in a brilliant way that totally fits his theme.

Nicole Sullivan and John DiMaggio really carried that show, and I just cannot bring myself to look at the live-action version.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
The live action version is fine. Shego and Drakken are the highlights of a majority of the film, and Patton Oswalt hasn't lost a step.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
The weirdest thing about Kim Possible in retrospect is that the setting is basically a kid friendly version of The Venture Brothers, where the legion of doom is a union for supervillains.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like the jokes about people having realistic abilities, like when Drakken is attacking his old college friends with robots and Kim asks any of them if they have any ideas, and their response is "Uh... we're all astronomers, not roboticists..." I also like that Kim's dad was full-on Mad Scientist in college, like feeling bad for a lab rat so building it a suit of power armour that led it to destroy half the campus.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Kim's parents being a rocket scientist and a brain surgeon went over my head for years.

mycot posted:

The weirdest thing about Kim Possible in retrospect is that the setting is basically a kid friendly version of The Venture Brothers, where the legion of doom is a union for supervillains.

Drakken does come off like a kid-friendly The Monarch.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Funky Valentine posted:

Kim's parents being a rocket scientist and a brain surgeon went over my head for years.

Drakken does come off like a kid-friendly The Monarch.

Complete with half his gadgets being stolen from other supervillains.

Senor Senor Senior almost gives the game away with being explicitly an incredibly bored rich guy who took up supervillainy as a hobby and doesn't mind if he wins or loses so long as he plays the game properly.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Honestly I've had a headcanon for years that Kim Possible* and Venture Brothers are basically in the same multiverse along with some other things like The Tick

*which incidentally shares a universe with Lilo & Stitch(and every other show that had a crossover with it), and I forget exactly where this was from but there's also supposed to be a connection between it and Phineas and Ferb as well

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly I've had a headcanon for years that Kim Possible* and Venture Brothers are basically in the same multiverse along with some other things like The Tick

*which incidentally shares a universe with Lilo & Stitch(and every other show that had a crossover with it), and I forget exactly where this was from but there's also supposed to be a connection between it and Phineas and Ferb as well

Nope, Phineas and Ferb is connected to the live-action universe. It had a crossover with Ultimate Spider-Man, which crossed over with Jessie. It's had no connections to any of the shows that crossed over with Lilo and Stitch.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Phineas and Ferb also had a Star Wars crossover that, while non-canon, was made to fit into A New Hope. (before the Disney movies anyway, it was the first thing Disney made from Star Wars after the buyout. Also funny thing is that Dr Doofenshmirtz' character is basically Director Krennic)

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I haven't watched the Disney channel in a long time, but did they stop showing commercials in the middle of their shows?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm currently watching an RL Stine show that totally flew under my radar called The Haunting Hour. It's really good. The episodes Really You, Sick, and Flight are definite standouts so far, but unfortunately the channel I'm watching on is blocked outside the UK. Here's Flight, on Dailymotion: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6c9goo

Sick has amazing use of perspective and distorted reality due to it being up in the air whether the character is hallucinating due to his fever or if the weird poo poo is real. It's really well done, very disorienting.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Mraagvpeine posted:

I haven't watched the Disney channel in a long time, but did they stop showing commercials in the middle of their shows?

So far as I can remember, so at least somewhere in the 2000s. Unless you mean they've stopped even their weird not exactly commercials as well.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

SlothfulCobra posted:

So far as I can remember, so at least somewhere in the 2000s. Unless you mean they've stopped even their weird not exactly commercials as well.

And yet shows still have "END SCENE GO TO COMMERCIAL" breakups.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

fractalairduct posted:

Nope, Phineas and Ferb is connected to the live-action universe. It had a crossover with Ultimate Spider-Man, which crossed over with Jessie. It's had no connections to any of the shows that crossed over with Lilo and Stitch.

Admittedly if I remember correctly(and a quick wiki dive seems to confirm this) said crossover wasn't in the show or anything, it was in a theme park attraction, and more a result of laziness than an intentional crossover, as said attraction was previously a Kim Possible one and they left in one of Kim's enemies as part of one area(the Bebe robots to be specific)

Which counts in my book

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
The last episode of Owl House was good but felt a bit....of a non ending? Hopefully they already have more stuff lined up.
At least now it makes sense that the Bat Queen was isabella rosselini!

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Taear posted:

The last episode of Owl House was good but felt a bit....of a non ending? Hopefully they already have more stuff lined up.

Mid-season finale.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

drrockso20 posted:

Admittedly if I remember correctly(and a quick wiki dive seems to confirm this) said crossover wasn't in the show or anything, it was in a theme park attraction, and more a result of laziness than an intentional crossover, as said attraction was previously a Kim Possible one and they left in one of Kim's enemies as part of one area(the Bebe robots to be specific)

Which counts in my book

Oh, neat, I didn't know about that! I'd say that counts.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Phineas and Ferb also had a Star Wars crossover that, while non-canon, was made to fit into A New Hope. (before the Disney movies anyway, it was the first thing Disney made from Star Wars after the buyout. Also funny thing is that Dr Doofenshmirtz' character is basically Director Krennic)

I love that the joke is how the opening text crawl states the special was non-canon, but then everything fits nicely in A New Hope anyway. Or that Darth Ferb's silly-rear end lightsaber totally predicted Kylo Ren's.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

fractalairduct posted:

Oh, neat, I didn't know about that! I'd say that counts.

It's funny when you dig into crossovers, like how Ed, Ed, n Eddy, The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy, Codename: Kids Next Door, and Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends are all connected through multiple crossovers*

*technically Camp Lazlo and My Gym Partner Is A Monkey are part of this too...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

drrockso20 posted:

It's funny when you dig into crossovers, like how Ed, Ed, n Eddy, The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy, Codename: Kids Next Door, and Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends are all connected through multiple crossovers*

For a while Cartoon Network had bumpers featuring characters from about all their current shows (and some old ones) interacting in various ways.

Also, Camp Lazlo was supposed to end with an obvious Rocko's Modern Life cameo.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

Wait...what'd Camp Lazlo and MGPIAM have in common?

...Same eith the Eds and Grim, actually?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

For a while Cartoon Network had bumpers featuring characters from about all their current shows (and some old ones) interacting in various ways.

Also, Camp Lazlo was supposed to end with an obvious Rocko's Modern Life cameo.

It did. Heffer showed up and it was confirmed that he was the real scoutmaster and Lumpus is just some crazy guy who pretended. They apparently used the actual Heffer model in an alt. scene...but it's still Heffer, Nick probably complained or something.

Only spoiler-ing this in case someone's watching through it during the quarantine or something.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

ThermoPhysical posted:

The Cartoon Network Invaded stuff

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

2020 - the year when everyone watches everything because there is literally nothing else going on.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

I completely forgot that was a thing. Wow.

BioEnchanted posted:

2020 - the year when everyone watches everything because there is literally nothing else going on.

Honestly I haven't played this many video games in one day since I was like 12.
Tomorrow is movie marathon day. Maybe.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

There's an irony in that the coronavirus may have given me a job - the local hospital is desperate for in house tech support because everyone's off sick or working from home/self isolating, so I'll find out tomorrow if they want me in helping soon.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

ThermoPhysical posted:

It did. Heffer showed up and it was confirmed that he was the real scoutmaster and Lumpus is just some crazy guy who pretended. They apparently used the actual Heffer model in an alt. scene...but it's still Heffer, Nick probably complained or something.

Only spoiler-ing this in case someone's watching through it during the quarantine or something.

The Eds show up for a scene towards the beginning of the GAOBAM/KND crossover

Meanwhile Foster's had a cameo by Mandy in one episode

Then there's also the "Super Secret Crisis War" comics from a couple years ago that in the main series involves Dexter's Laboratory, Powerpuff Girls, Ben 10: Omniverse, Samurai Jack, and Ed, Edd, n Eddy, and in a series of one shots also involves Johnny Bravo, GAOBAM, FHFIF, Cow and Chicken, and KND

Then the sequel Powerpuff Girls: Super Smash-Up brought in a couple more shows, Courage The Cowardly Dog, and Camp Lazlo

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

Yup this is what links together all the shows I mentioned previously(well except KND)

Cartoon Network basically loves doing weird crossover stuff

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Taear posted:

Eda's curse being Grim Serious Business is so tonally separated from everything else in the show I'm fascinated to see how they're going to reconcile it.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Funky Valentine posted:

Mid-season finale.

Oh right I forgot america does weird poo poo like that.

Madurai posted:

Eda's curse being Grim Serious Business is so tonally separated from everything else in the show I'm fascinated to see how they're going to reconcile it.

At least in this one they still made it funny alongside it being serious business.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Cartoon City bumpers were loving rad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbbYs-Ki1x8

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Funky Valentine posted:

The Cartoon City bumpers were loving rad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbbYs-Ki1x8

The OK KO/Steven Universe/Teen Titans Go/Ben 10 crossover canonized Cartoon City so everything is canon now.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure if this is the right thread, but I was watching Pup Academy on Netflix, and it abruptly stops having episodes. But Wikipedia and several other sources say they definitely have aired more episodes. But I can't seem to find these episodes anywhere.

Does Netflix release things over time? I'm not really familiar with the site, honestly, but I was pretty sure they usually just dump everything out at once.

Does anyone know anything? Gotta get my pup fix.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Still shocked that (TTS) Zhan Tiri wasn't Demantius's mother or daughter considering how much Parenthood was a factor in the stories.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
I have Disney Junior on for my son and as white noise from the outside world. They've made some subtle additions to help parents in the pandemic:
  • A "wash your hands" song from Doc McStuffins that now plays on loop with two other reminders about hand hygiene
  • A reminder of what day it is, which I'm pretty sure is for the parents more than the kids
  • Tots characters interacting over Zoom, without the 4chan-level trolling that's apparently going on in the real world
  • They're also burning an episode of Fancy Nancy Thursday at 8am where she tries not to make a faux pas in front of an autistic kid. I'm not sure how the "very special episode"/after school special has fared since the 90's, but this definitely gives off all the same vibes

Our cable company has also given us Disney XD free the next three weeks :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

[*] A reminder of what day it is, which I'm pretty sure is for the parents more than the kids

I'm imagining this as Mickey Mouse sitting at a desk and saying "IT IS NOW THE 532nd DAY OF MARCH"