Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

This should've been the end of the episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
How exactly did they kidnap Mike? He would have noticed if Gus's minions were following him, and they would have had to snatch him up quickly before a passerby noticed him and called 911. Plus, they would have had to smuggle him across the border somehow, which would have gone very badly had the officials noticed the unconscious guy with the stab wound.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Konstantin posted:

How exactly did they kidnap Mike? He would have noticed if Gus's minions were following him, and they would have had to snatch him up quickly before a passerby noticed him and called 911. Plus, they would have had to smuggle him across the border somehow, which would have gone very badly had the officials noticed the unconscious guy with the stab wound.
I know it's Mike Ehrmantraut but it's also a Mike who has been drinking himself stupid at the same bar and walking home repeatedly and all but acknowledges he had a deathwish at the end of this episode, I don't think it's that hard to believe he wouldn't have noticed/cared about Gus having someone watching him.

And for all of his situational awareness and borderline omniscient competence, he also had no idea Gus was following him when he set out to assassinate Hector at the end of season 2.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
When we get to the thread-trend where we list our top...let's say, 5 moments from the series, "DON'T" is definitely one of my selections.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

I really hope they are going to give Mike more to do because we’re 5 episodes in and you could easily have cut all of his scenes since they haven’t even tied into the cartel stuff at all

Mike isn't 'doing' much but everything this season has been integral to his character development.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Agent Escalus posted:

When we get to the thread-trend where we list our top...let's say, 5 moments from the series, "DON'T" is definitely one of my selections.

Why wait? I'll start.

In no order, mine would have to be:

- Don't
- Chuck's head pinball
- Chuck's freakout on trial
- Squat cobbler
- Mike taking out Trevor/Steve Ogg ("just a pimento cheese sandwich.")

Honourable mention to the "that's not even my client" switcheroo just a couple of episodes ago.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Does anyone else think Howard has an ulterior motive for wanting Jimmy at HHM?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Does anyone else think Howard has an ulterior motive for wanting Jimmy at HHM?

No, I think Howard has gone through hell and held onto a lot of shame for being complicit in Chuck's Fuckery. He's clearly trying to make it right somehow

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

It's also kinda Jimmy's Gray Matter moment - he's got a perfectly reasonable offer from a former associate to come back into the fold with no strings attached and a genuine release of 'water under the bridge' and he's rejecting it purely out of spite. (it's even got the McGill name association, like Walt had with Gray :allears:)

Chadzok fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Mar 18, 2020

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Chadzok posted:

It's also kinda Jimmy's Gray Matter moment - he's got a perfectly reasonable offer from a former associate to come back into the fold with no strings attached and a genuine release of 'water under the bridge' and he's rejecting it purely out of spite. (it's even got the McGill name association, like Walt had with Gray :allears:)

This also sort of applies to Kim, only Gray Matter = Mesa Verde, and she's disliked it for quite a while. She's being irrational to the point of viewer frustration, but I still get it. But like... c'mon, Kim. :ohdear:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Chuck's freakout on trial

The show remains magnificent and one of the best things every year it is on television, but this scene I believe has to be the high water mark.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

Why wait? I'll start.

I figure wait until end of this season for whatever's coming soon and then see how the selections hold up next year at the end of the series...

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

The show remains magnificent and one of the best things every year it is on television, but this scene I believe has to be the high water mark.

So good. Him not getting an emmy for that scene is buckwild. Or should I say, a sick joke?

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

Chadzok posted:

he's rejecting it purely out of spite. (it's even got the McGill name association, like Walt had with Gray :allears:)
The bowling incident shows that's part of the motivation but I assume he'd be miserable at HHM for similar reasons to Davis and Main, dry corporate law that doesn't allow for much in the way of low level chicanery.

lurker2006 fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Mar 18, 2020

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
Latest episode was really good. I like Kim cutting loose. Gus and Mike at the end... YES LET'S GET SOME REVENGE.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Agent Escalus posted:

for some reason the one that sticks with me is when he laboriously climbs into a dumpster to get documents, becomes absolutely filthy and worn out, and gives up in abject disappointment before the camera pans over to show the 'paper only' recycling bin

the way the punchline was shot was, to me, the most mr. show that BCS has ever gotten

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I love when John DiMaggio shows up somewhere in live action. I'm so used to hearing his voice in stuff that it's fun to see him in the flesh instead of a bending robot or a noodly dog or a gunsmith robot.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yum0MSXWltc

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Doctor Reynolds posted:

So good. Him not getting an emmy for that scene is buckwild. Or should I say, a sick joke?

The Emmy voting committee is truly up to some chicanery. They wield their power like a chimp with a machine gun.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Better Call Saul has lost the best drama Emmy to all the bad seasons of Game of Thrones including the one that even the critics finally considered awful (and once to Handmaid's Tale).

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I've been binging (up to season 4 now) and man this show is so good.

The cinematography and writing is a stand out for me.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
why did saul throw the bowling balls onto Howard's car? Why specifically bowling balls, was there symbolism there or was this just a big "gently caress you howard" thing

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

why did saul throw the bowling balls onto Howard's car? Why specifically bowling balls, was there symbolism there or was this just a big "gently caress you howard" thing

There's an entire scene where he chooses the right item to throw at Howard's car based on weight and how easy it is to throw at the start of the episode. If there's any more symbolism, it's lost on me, but in the fiction of the show, he chose that item because it was the best for the job out of all of the ones he tried.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Why wait? I'll start.
That courtroom scene with Chuck will forever be one of the best scenes in all of television so it's likely nothing else in the show will top it, no matter how hard it tries. That being said, one of this show's top moments for me would be when Hamlin breaks down and Jimmy tells him to get his act together without mincing a single word. I love Hamlin like everyone else here but seeing him get completely wrecked like that still felt kinda fantastic.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

There's an entire scene where he chooses the right item to throw at Howard's car based on weight and how easy it is to throw at the start of the episode. If there's any more symbolism, it's lost on me, but in the fiction of the show, he chose that item because it was the best for the job out of all of the ones he tried.

But why destroy his car? This feels more like a Walter White?

Edit: I mean, specifically, if it was a Walter White thing, he'd have done it in a much more stupid way, like set Gretchen and Elliot's car on fire and be like "yeah gently caress you bitches hahahah" and dance around it.

Walter really had the best temper tantrums and Jimmy doesn't give me the impression he would do something so petty.

TheDiceMustRoll fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Mar 19, 2020

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I didn't read much symbolism into it at first but now that I think on it- for decades (p much until video games), bowling was the social center of working-class communites. My parents played in work leagues from the late 70s until ~10 years ago when they increasingly didn't wanna risk injury from repeated and regular play-

when he spots them, it's like an epiphany- he has found the Perfect Item, and maybe he doesn't even really know why. But of course Jimmy (and Saul, if we're to treat them as separate) has always identified more with the working class, the "little guy", than with the elites. He tried blending in with them and it not only didn't work, it hurt his soul, it put him at a distance from his people, the ones he feels true solidarity with.

There is no better symbol to show how offended he is by an attempt to drag him away from the life he's chosen and back into the maw of isolation and alienation than the humble bowling ball, especially to a guy Jimmy's age

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

So, is this super obvious to anyone else, or is it just me who thinks that Kim might have told Howard to try and hire Jimmy? I'm not saying it definitely happened, I just wonder if I missed someone else ITT bringing it up. Don't think I did, though.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

But why destroy his car? This feels more like a Walter White?

Edit: I mean, specifically, if it was a Walter White thing, he'd have done it in a much more stupid way, like set Gretchen and Elliot's car on fire and be like "yeah gently caress you bitches hahahah" and dance around it.

Walter really had the best temper tantrums and Jimmy doesn't give me the impression he would do something so petty.

It is quite out of character, for both Jimmy or Saul. Why do you think he did it?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Why wait? I'll start.

In no order, mine would have to be:

- Don't
- Chuck's head pinball
- Chuck's freakout on trial
- Squat cobbler
- Mike taking out Trevor/Steve Ogg ("just a pimento cheese sandwich.")

Honourable mention to the "that's not even my client" switcheroo just a couple of episodes ago.

Wait, Mr. X was that every day carry guy giving Mike crap for not being armed when helping Nacho/HummerH2 guy? I initially thought that then convinced myself he was a new person we hadn’t seen, but your last comment makes me think I need to go rewatch.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

So, is this super obvious to anyone else, or is it just me who thinks that Kim might have told Howard to try and hire Jimmy? I'm not saying it definitely happened, I just wonder if I missed someone else ITT bringing it up. Don't think I did, though.

It's just you

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Chadzok posted:

It is quite out of character, for both Jimmy or Saul. Why do you think he did it?

The one thing we've seen cause Jimmy to lose his temper is "respectable" lawyers treating him like a leper. Chuck did it, the reinstatement board did it, and the scholarship committee did it to the student he liked. The biggest seed of discord between him and Kim on his account is that he thinks, on some level, that she also considers him a "dirty" lawyer.

It's hard to tell what exactly is going through his head, since he doesn't wear his emotions on his sleeve like Walt does, but Howard and HHM have always been a focal point of Jimmy's resentment, and both trying to do right by him after he's already gotten involved with the Salamanca cartel created a short circuit somewhere in his worldview.

The "Namast3" licence plate also seems to be what tipped Jimmy over the edge, which read to me as a superficial expression of peace, but by all accounts, both Howard and HHM are recovering from hurricane Chuck. Howard being depressed and HHM tanking was what Jimmy used to keep himself afloat in season 4 as he repressed his own feelings about Chuck.

I can't give you the specific reason Jimmy did it, but all the things we've seen get a rise of him kind of coalesced into a single point when Howard offered him his personal white whale on a silver platter, and it is very much in character for him to have a strong reaction of some sort.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Hed posted:

Wait, Mr. X was that every day carry guy giving Mike crap for not being armed when helping Nacho/HummerH2 guy? I initially thought that then convinced myself he was a new person we hadn’t seen, but your last comment makes me think I need to go rewatch.

Yeah, that's the same guy. Maybe being clocked by Mike so effortlessly made him a bit more humble, though maybe he just found a better line of work.

I loved that it was Steven Ogg, but now I'm curious how Kuby will play into all of this.

Also, when did we learn of some characters' names? Like Gaff (cartel sniper guy who wouldn't shoot Gus) or Kuby? I don't remember anyone mentioning them by name in BB, but we're all just supposed to know who they are?

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
No one else think of Curb your Enthusiasm with the side-sitting thing? He even use the exact same tone to describe it as Larry did lol.

Are there gonna be any corona delays for this show or is it all completed already?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Annabel Pee posted:

No one else think of Curb your Enthusiasm with the side-sitting thing? He even use the exact same tone to describe it as Larry did lol.

Are there gonna be any corona delays for this show or is it all completed already?

Oh my god, I didn't even think about that... S6 will likely be REALLY far off.

Oh no, Jonathan Banks :ohdear:

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Jerusalem posted:

If it's a copyrighted image, I guess that using it as the branding for his business that he is also aggressively expanding could put his company at risk and lead to an expensive rebranding which in turn will leave him unable/unwilling to ALSO sustain the costs of fighting this single hold-out, but I don't know enough about copyright law in the US to know if that's a feasible theory or not.

Given that Mike & Kim are watching old movies all the time, I am wondering if it is a still from an old Western. In that case, they could threaten to inform the movie studio who would take that pretty seriously.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I can't give you the specific reason Jimmy did it, but all the things we've seen get a rise of him kind of coalesced into a single point when Howard offered him his personal white whale on a silver platter, and it is very much in character for him to have a strong reaction of some sort.

It seems like Howard is only offering the job to Jimmy to assuage his guilty conscience over what happened to Chuck and Jimmy resents being used like this.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Ego-bot posted:

It seems like Howard is only offering the job to Jimmy to assuage his guilty conscience over what happened to Chuck and Jimmy resents being used like this.

You can argue that, or argue that Howard has done a lot of soul-searching and that, while some it had extremely *tacky* result (a Namaste license plate? seriously?), he genuinely seems to want to make amends and handle HHM differently than before.

And it's worth reminding that a lot of Howard's guilt over Chuck's death was also due to Jimmy never coming clean about what *he* did to make Chuck feel lovely (not that either of them bear the responsibility for the action of another person, it's kind of obvious that Chuck, while obviously depressed, *also* did it as a power move), so if we have to be honest, the reaction from Jimmy isn't totally justified.

But also, this is Jimmy we're talking about, and him having a childish reaction at a point in time where he sees the possibility of a legitimate career resurfacing and is interrogated over his name change by Howard seems about right.

Peanut Butler posted:

I didn't read much symbolism into it at first but now that I think on it- for decades (p much until video games), bowling was the social center of working-class communites. My parents played in work leagues from the late 70s until ~10 years ago when they increasingly didn't wanna risk injury from repeated and regular play-

when he spots them, it's like an epiphany- he has found the Perfect Item, and maybe he doesn't even really know why. But of course Jimmy (and Saul, if we're to treat them as separate) has always identified more with the working class, the "little guy", than with the elites. He tried blending in with them and it not only didn't work, it hurt his soul, it put him at a distance from his people, the ones he feels true solidarity with.

There is no better symbol to show how offended he is by an attempt to drag him away from the life he's chosen and back into the maw of isolation and alienation than the humble bowling ball, especially to a guy Jimmy's age

This is a good point. As a non-American, the connection between the working class and bowling is something that totally flew over my head.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I mean maybe Howard is legitimately trying to make amends for what he has done in the past. But who knows with him. I feel like some kind of selfish reason is involved.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

I mean maybe Howard is legitimately trying to make amends for what he has done in the past. But who knows with him. I feel like some kind of selfish reason is involved.

I definitely read it as being all of the above, simultaneously.

Howard is legitimately trying to make amends, he does recognize that Jimmy's actually good at his job in his own way, and it is a selfish attempt to make himself feel better about Chuck, all at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

It can be both- Howard's whole deal seems to be a struggle between being a good person and a good corporate lawyer. I read his NAMASTE plate as one facet of an attempt to bury these contradictions in comforting mysticism.

He wants to make amends because it's eating him up inside- he seemed twitchy and self-agitated during the barefoot phone call. He is a wealthy liberal attempting to be one of the 'good ones' and missing the forest of collective society for the trees of InDiViDuAl ReSpOnSiBiLiTy- he cannot truly be free from sin with societal and economic pressures acting upon him, unless he goes Saul, which would be abhorrent to his sense of decorum. So, he buys indulgences in order to sleep well at night.

it is a rly sad story