Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
At least that MacGuyver section had a funny payoff, because from the technical side, it was rather offensive, because nonsensical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Jerusalem posted:

That little smile she gave Jimmy when she spotted the horse was :kiss:

That shot was straight up horror framing, positively demonic. It was great.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Chadzok posted:

They're doing an incredible job having him skirt grey areas. It really makes you believe that scumbag criminal lawyers could be an actual thing. (they probably do, but they probably all work for massive corporations)

have you seen The Wire? the drug lawyer in that was based on a few different people David Simon (the shows creator) knew when he was a crime writer for the newspaper in baltimore.

they totally exist

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Tumble posted:

have you seen The Wire? the drug lawyer in that was based on a few different people David Simon (the shows creator) knew when he was a crime writer for the newspaper in baltimore.

they totally exist

Yeah seriously look at who represents the President.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Another great episode. I love how much they have subverted our expectations for Kim's character arc. The only thing I don't like about Kim is that I've never once bought that there was any chemistry at all between her and Jimmy or that they're a believable couple. Perhaps its because he looks like he should be her dad even though Bob is only 10 years older than Rhea. It's a minor complaint, though.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

If you feel like it doesn't fit visually, just look at Bobby Lee. Everything's possible.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

If you feel like it doesn't fit visually, just look at Bobby Lee. Everything's possible.

Who?

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
What was up with the tea and containers of liquid that Jimmy was working on?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

It seems like maybe Kevin plagiarized Mesa Verde's logo from something from 1958.

Yeah, she recognized the cowboy on a painting as the Mesa Verde logo and there's no way that they legit own it.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Ego-bot posted:

All part of scams he was planning for? He had the vase in a bag smashing it up while all that was spread around.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Another great episode. I love how much they have subverted our expectations for Kim's character arc. The only thing I don't like about Kim is that I've never once bought that there was any chemistry at all between her and Jimmy or that they're a believable couple. Perhaps its because he looks like he should be her dad even though Bob is only 10 years older than Rhea. It's a minor complaint, though.

I disagree with this entirely. They’ve had great chemistry right from Kim’s introduction she jimmy takes the cig from her mouth. The show does a great job of establishing that they are a couple with an offscreen life together.

The scene this episode where he makes her mock her boss and shes initially doesn’t know where this is going then gets kinda into it was great too.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Ego-bot posted:

Presumably he was "aging" the pottery that he planted.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Ego-bot posted:

Soaking stuff in tea is a pretty common treatment for giving it that ol' "recently unearthed" patina. He was doing a bunch of kitchen chemistry to make the shards look old enough that it would take a lab test to prove that they weren't actually artifacts.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

John Dimaggio and Steven Ogg in the same episode? What did I do to deserve such delights? Does anyone know what it was that Kim found in the pictures? Something about the logo for Mesa Verde?

poo poo, that construction guy was Jake the dog? I knew Steven Ogg was Trevor from GTA V and Professor Venomous from OK KO, but did not see that one coming.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Just hang your head in shame if you can't recognize the voice of Aquaman on sight sound.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

massive spider posted:

I disagree with this entirely. They’ve had great chemistry right from Kim’s introduction she jimmy takes the cig from her mouth. The show does a great job of establishing that they are a couple with an offscreen life together.

Establishing that they're a couple isn't the same thing as them having chemistry. To me Jimmy just feels incredibly awkward around her most of the time

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Shitenshi posted:

poo poo, that construction guy was Jake the dog? I knew Steven Ogg was Trevor from GTA V and Professor Venomous from OK KO, but did not see that one coming.

I didn't recognize him at first because that hat obscured what his head looked like so he was just some guy. Then he yelled something and I heard Bender and realized it was him.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Bottom picture was the one she focused on:

Before this:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Building your own cell phone charger to call Gus Fring: Mike-gyver.

Edit: vvvv fair enough, edited my post.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Mar 18, 2020

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ok I can't stand it anymore

It's MacGyver

Not MacGuyver

Where did that spelling come from, is this some Mandela Effect thing

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Please give Rhea Seehorn lots of awards and money.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
So Kevin based the Mesa Verde logo on a photo he has on his mantel? I'm missing something, why is this a big deal?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I assume we're going to find out next episode!

If it's a copyrighted image, I guess that using it as the branding for his business that he is also aggressively expanding could put his company at risk and lead to an expensive rebranding which in turn will leave him unable/unwilling to ALSO sustain the costs of fighting this single hold-out, but I don't know enough about copyright law in the US to know if that's a feasible theory or not.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Episode owned. Rhea Seehorn is amazing.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Chadzok posted:

They're doing an incredible job having him skirt grey areas. It really makes you believe that scumbag criminal lawyers could be an actual thing. (they probably do, but they probably all work for massive corporations)

poo poo if you think they might not exist. Oscar Goodman, former mayor of Las Vegas, spent his early years as a defense lawyer for the Vegas mafia.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

If it's a copyrighted image, I guess that using it as the branding for his business that he is also aggressively expanding could put his company at risk and lead to an expensive rebranding which in turn will leave him unable/unwilling to ALSO sustain the costs of fighting this single hold-out, but I don't know enough about copyright law in the US to know if that's a feasible theory or not.

or worse, jimmy/kim alert the people who own the image about it being stolen and suddenly there's another expensive lawsuit that mesa verde has to defend or settle

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
There was some movie called guyver that was like violent power rangers and this dude turned into a hosed up grasshopper and died

Vakal
May 11, 2008

moist turtleneck posted:

There was some movie called guyver that was like violent power rangers and this dude turned into a hosed up grasshopper and died

Guyver 2 stars David loving Hayter and may quite possibly be the greatest movie ever made.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Wafflecopper posted:

To me Jimmy just feels incredibly awkward around her most of the time

Jimmy kind of has an awkwardness to him in general. I think it's just a consequence of him and odenkirk being from the Midwest

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

It's very feasible. Photos are default copyrighted by the person who takes them, especially in regards to using that image for profit. So unless someone at Mesa Verde actually took that photo they would have had to get permission to use it as the logo, which we're all assuming they did not.

eke out posted:

or worse, jimmy/kim alert the people who own the image about it being stolen and suddenly there's another expensive lawsuit that mesa verde has to defend or settle

I think they're going to go one step further and try to fix it so it looks like the copyright belongs to Acker, or was taken by a relative and the rights have somehow passed on to him now. Actually, they will find out who took the photo so that doesn't make a lot of sense. Seems weird that they would pull in another party, but maybe they'll just pile on all the poo poo they can until Keven gives up the fight for the first plot of land.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Mar 18, 2020

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

Wafflecopper posted:

Establishing that they're a couple isn't the same thing as them having chemistry. To me Jimmy just feels incredibly awkward around her most of the time
Just in general I've thought Odenkirk's recent portrayal has been a little too consistently...listless? That desperate, positive energy he used to have that would lead to a crash has kind of transitioned to him just generally giving off vibes of being halfhearted and regretful in everything he does, whether he's Jimmy trying to patch it up afterwards or Saul in the heat of the moment, not sure if it's intended.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

poo poo if you think they might not exist. Oscar Goodman, former mayor of Las Vegas, spent his early years as a defense lawyer for the Vegas mafia.

And if you went to Vegas during his time in office - or, maybe even to this day - and made small talk with a local: everyone in town knew full well about that, and what he might have been privy to, who his campaign contributors might have been, and so what? The Mafia made Vegas wealthy and more or less recession-proof, and if a few houses had to get painted along the way, that was "their" business.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Kuby was reportedly supposed to have Steven Oggs role this episode but Bill Burr had conflicts.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Hey, that's how we got Mike in the first place.

I, for one, am looking forward to the preprequel about Dr. Caldera and Mr. X, billed as a series of vignettes about one man's struggle to make a living while saving the lives of adorable kittens and snakes, alongside the hyperviolent comedy of a man trying to insert himself into the BB Cartel, which inexplicably morphs into an even grittier and more personal one-hour drama series.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

massive spider posted:

Kuby was reportedly supposed to have Steven Oggs role this episode but Bill Burr had conflicts.

I was definitely expecting him!

large_gourd
Jan 17, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lurker2006 posted:

Just in general I've thought Odenkirk's recent portrayal has been a little too consistently...listless? That desperate, positive energy he used to have that would lead to a crash has kind of transitioned to him just generally giving off vibes of being halfhearted and regretful in everything he does, whether he's Jimmy trying to patch it up afterwards or Saul in the heat of the moment, not sure if it's intended.

i've noticed this too. i am waiting to see if it's heading somewhere, i assume it is, but he's been coming off as strangely meek in his demeanour while his actions are getting bolder. i don't think that adds up unless it is due to some internal conflict which is keeping his energy low.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I feel like there is likely still some strong internal conflicts with Jimmy with Chuck. Even though he's played it off some as not giving a poo poo, we know he at least once deeply cared for his brother and Jimmy knows his actions pretty directly led to his suicide... And there really hasn't been much of a payoff of him letting that poo poo out.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Some US comedian. He's a sort of stereotypical short pudgy Asian American guy, and he has a pretty hot and tall girlfriend. What makes this even weirder, is based on random Youtube bits people split from his podcasts, about self described behaviors, he's also a total whackjob.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
I enjoyed the fakeout they did with a Mike montage this episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I really hope they are going to give Mike more to do because we’re 5 episodes in and you could easily have cut all of his scenes since they haven’t even tied into the cartel stuff at all